back to article Microsoft's Windows 8.1 secrets REVEALED ... sort of

After weeks of teasing us with vague promises, Microsoft has at last revealed some concrete details of what will be included in Windows 8.1, the update formerly known as "Blue." Describing the response to Windows 8 as "substantial," (You can say that again – Ed) Windows corporate VP Antoine Leblond wrote in a blog post on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. lnLog
    FAIL

FFS, 'Apps' belong on phones, they do not belong on desktops.

1. jaywin

"Apps" definitely existed on the desktop before smart phones were even thought possible. Plenty of references to them in RISC OS back in 1992.

http://www.guidebookgallery.org/screenshots/riscos311

1. M Gale

GEMAPPS?

As title.

2. Combustable Lemon
    Meh

hmm

I would be interested to know how many people here have run Windows 8 themselves amongst the people so incredibly enraged about its existence.

Credibility, some of you may have heard of it.

1. Paul Shirley

Re: hmm

...and this stock response from the Win8 marketing team is getting tired.

Been using since launch, still haven't learned to love Metro, the shitty driver support, the bugs in Explorer, the gratuitous and unneeded detheming of desktop mode, or any of the other annoyances. But apparently to merkins like you 'I haven't used it enough' to have an opinion!

In it's favour: I can finally use all the installed RAM and plugging my phone in doesn't crash it (like under XP). Pity I spent more replacing hardware it no longer supports than the sodding OS cost ;(

1. mmeier

Had the same problem back in the early 1900s when we switched from carriages to motor vehicles. Had to ditch the old wooden wheels, horse collars etc.

2. Combustable Lemon
        Meh

Paul, funnily enough my comment wasn't particularly aimed at you was it, are you amongst the people complaining who haven't used it? No, that's what i thought.

I've had none of the problems you've mentioned with Win 8 so far, It worked fine on all of my (far from current) hardware, all installed smoothly as well. I upgraded rather than fragged my Win 7 install which seems to have gone smoother than previous versions of Windows did when doing this. My opinion funnily enough doesn't come from the windows marketing team, i damn well wish it did... i could use the money. It is perfectly acceptable that some people can like Windows 8, and by the same token people can dislike it.

Disliking it without using it is somewhat less credible than having used it and disliked it though and i suspect a lot of people in these forums are the former and not the latter and i think this explains why Microsoft isn't listening to their "opinions", god knows i wouldn't.

3. MC.JustUsBikers
    FAIL

What MS fails to take into consideration...

First off as a IT Manager I will not use and will refuse to use any Win8 OS's in the company. It isn't designed for business use.

MS plans and continues pushing Win8 out to consumers and makes claims it is successful which anyone in IT knows that is propaganda! The only way MS has sold it is through consumer products which really has been unsuccessful!

As far as I am concerned all that Win8 does is push out bloat ware and advertisement to sell services. It is not designed for business use.

Contrary to what has been reported in blogs and other resources the PC is not dead and touch screen for business is not going to fly in the IT world. I don't see people sitting at work using a tablet or a laptop with touch screen in an office environment. Plus the additional cost is prohibitive to a lot of businesses.

Microsoft can push it but as the old saying goes, "You can drag a horse to water but you can't make it drink it!"

4. JeffinLondon
    FAIL

FrankenSystem

W8.1 will make the monster a little less scary... but it's still a monster.

Ballmer and Gates should be shot for creating this mess of a two headed OS.

1. Brenda McViking
      Thumb Up

Re: FrankenSystem

We have a phrase for it in business.

"Not fit for purpose"

Thank god we've just had our IT modernisation program. We'll be using Windows 7 for at least the next 5-10 years.

5. Adrian Smart
    Coat

Another terrifying thought...

To all those who are hoping Windows 9 will put things back on the right track, a horrible thought has just struck me. Seeing the way things are going with Office, what's the betting Windows 9 will be subscription/rental only?

Coat, because I'm off to Ladbroke's...

1. tempemeaty

Re: Another terrifying thought...

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder how many have had the same thought.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"URL bar all the time (though not whether it will be returned to the top of the screen, where it belongs)"

Who says that ths URL bar belongs at the top? You! PAH!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For tech types, your complaints sure are weak as water!

What is wrong with you people?

Get a life!

8. Zot
    Meh

I haven't used Windows 8.

So I can't comment! ; )

But what I've gathered from all your responses, is that it's not an OS for a development environment.

If you write applications for a living, you're not going to be in sliding-box-land, as you'll need several windows open at once all over the place for starters.

But many jobs simply don't need anything other than a word processor running, or what ever the job's main task demands. Usually the company's own, or off the shelf accounting/sales package will sit there all day. I'm sure Bob or Deirdre from HR would be perfectly happy with, once they've set up the most used icons of course.

Hmmm... but that's also why companies like Barclays Bank still use WinXP for their staff. It's just an OS after all.

Oh I don't know what to think about it now! - I'll stick with 7. :)

1. mmeier

Re: I haven't used Windows 8.

Than you have gathered the wrong information. Win8 works as well as and sometimes slightly better in a dev environment that Win7. The desktop is the same so no change there but

No more need to pin needed programs to the taskbar for quick access - Win Key -> Modern -> Select

Slightly smaller and faster, interesting in SSD based dev systems where space is still a bit short

Good buy McAffee and similar performance breaks, build in protection is good enough

And so on. Nobody develops in a Modern Interface, that is a start menu replacement, quick access tool and maybe for the inter-office chat etc. (Sametime-replacement)

1. M Gale

Re: Win Key -> Modern -> Select

More like Win Key -> Huge list like a badly-designed shopping site from 5 years ago -> scroll -> scroll -> scroll <- scroll <- scroll <- scroll -> scroll -> I know it's somewhere around here -> scroll <-...

Compared to the Windows 7 approach of Win Key -> I use this program often so it's RIGHT THERE automagically -> done.

1. mmeier

And another person who has NOT used Win8 and just repeats the stupid lies some people throw around.

Not that I am surprised

1. M Gale

Quite.

1. mmeier

Noch nen Pinguin abgeschossen

9. MACWINLINO

Windows another shade of TIFKAM

Well as a long time Windows user, administrator, support engineer. I have come to the conclusion that MS is losing its mind.

Improved features in Windows 8 and Server 2012 are ignored because they both look like it was dreamt up by a elephant that uses a Mac while on LSD

MS if you continue like this I will eventually have to move away, at least now I'll still have a job even if it is telling people how to shutdown a machine

*Thanks MS*

10. The Alpha Klutz

3 apps at once

woohoo!

my next pc will probably be a 27" imac at least they still have a real user interface and application/task switching has always been better. imagine having any number of apps on the big screen from 1 to 50. thats what i'll be saving up for. not this windows shite.

11. T_L_T

Funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73e3Nq9vwM0

1. Zot

Re: Funny

That 'singer' has really bad timing, and it wasn't very adventurous - needs more sleaze! : )

12. garou1674
    FAIL

Windows 8.x == Windows 3.x

When Win8 was previewed for the world, I knew that Microsoft had created another Windows ME/Vista version of their OS. Now, with version 8.1, I am starting to have flash backs to Windows 3.x. Yeah, before there was a Start button or even a Start menu. Hell, let's skip the bloatware called Windows 8.x and go directly back to Windows 3.1. After all, that is apparently where Sinofsky's fondest memories are.

13. Ron Christian
    Thumb Down

absolute fail

There's so much that failed here, I don't know where to begin. The start button -- I had a feeling they would just change the graphic rather than change the behavior. As if the graphic was the issue. How condescending.

As I write this, I have nine apps appearing on my 1920 X 1200 screen. If I upgrade this box, I will only be able to effectively display two apps. That's such a total wet-fart fail that I am at a loss for words.

An effective company would fire the person responsible for these decisions. It appears that Microsoft is no longer an effective company.

At this point, it looks like I'll be using Windows 7 until I just can't use it anymore, and then switch to something else. Maybe Chrome or OSX. What a total incredible botch.

We actually have a laptop with a touchscreen that's running Windows 8.0. (Because Windows 7 doesn't do anything reasonable with a touch screen.) Nobody uses it because it's very frustrating and time consuming to use, and some things (like comparing data from multiple apps displayed simultaneously) can't be done at all.

We'll upgrade this appliance to Windows 8.1 because it's free, and then I'll try to find a home for it.

1. mmeier

Re: absolute fail

Currently you have nine APPLICATIONS running on your system. And if you switch to Win8 - you can still have nine APPLICATIONS there. The (current) limit is on Modern apps only not on classic programs. But I guess you know that already, has been said couple of times.

Touch on a normal notebook or desktop is useless. But nobody is forced to use it or buy this stuff. But that you already know as well, don't you?

So shove your stupid little lies where the sun does not shine and go bonk a penguin

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like