back to article Reports: New Xbox could DOOM second-hand games market

Microsoft has been quite cagey about its plans for games licensing on the new Xbox One, but multiple reports now suggest there's going to be very little incentive for a second-hand games market anymore, and buyers could get stung with extra charges. On Thursday Consoledeals.co.uk received a note from a senior member of a UK …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Connor

Am I reading this right?

So if I buy a game on the Xbox One and play it, it is locked to my account. Therefore if my girlfriend, living in the same house and playing on the same Xbox wants to play it, she can't? Or is it like now where it is the console and not the account that is registered?

It sounds to me like games are going to be per account (like Steam) rather than per console?

1. M Gale

Re: Am I reading this right?

You could always share one single account. That's if you can't bear to just dump the machine instead.

You'd share all the same titles, as well as presumably, the same gamertag, the same achievements, the same scores, records, save files, contacts... and the advert bots will send you spam that assumes you're some kind of hermaphrodite.

Could get interesting.

2. El Andy

Re: Am I reading this right?

Nope. they've explicitly said that different accounts on the same xbox will be capable of playing a single copy of a game. The details of how that works exactly haven't been shared yet though, but they have stated in broad terms that "things will work pretty much as they do today".

2. blapping

Bit of plastic

You're talking about the bit of plastic they're using as a data cache to save you having to download it? Let's face it, that's all it is. I think that's how they should be officially defined. Buy games exclusively online, then buy a physical copy of the data cache if you have a crap network. You're free to sell on that data cache if you want, but you'll still have to buy the executables online. Nobody moans about not being able to resell xbox arcade games.

1. Grikath

Re: Bit of plastic

Maybe. And technically correct.

However, there are many ways you could get your investment back on (a) game(s) without trying to make your customers bend over and take it up the rear, which is what Microsoft is trying to do here.

3. BrownishMonstr

Surely, this means cheaper games?

Since the game devs will get more profit from resale of the games, then the initial prices should be lower. Of course, I can't see this happening.

4. demamazins

The Future of Gaming?

I'd rather have a digital download service much like what Apple offers with much of their upgradeable software. No more collections of discs, movies or video games that clutter your shelves. The introduction of "digital media only downloads" is nothing new, but eventually will take over, creating a completely new universe for the everyday user. Eventually movies and video games will no longer be available in a blockbuster store for rental because the media used to produce the movie or game costs more money. Hence cheaper availability of titles. Expect games to be cheaper unless the manufacturers decide to set the same price providing that the additional fees incurred benefit the user. If Microsoft incurs additional fees on top of what I am already paying for a year membership for XBOX Live, sic sic; lasts years rumblings for additional costs for online usage, then I'd rather not shell out the money for a new system. But with devices becoming smaller and smaller, change will eventually occur for the better. A system in one with additional bells and whistles minus a disc drive because the game is already installed and paid for. No more opening the disc drive to change games, wave your arms and tell your XBOX One, dashboard, Halo 25? Go!

Look at Google, they have something called Google Glass, a pair of glasses for $1500 with really Sh*tty resolution specs, wait a couple of years and they will have the same resolution as your iPhone 5 that can record video at 1080p? The new XBOX isn't out yet, can't wait to see what it does and how it performs. Speculation by Playstation lovers doesn't help.

1. Charles 9

Re: The Future of Gaming?

HINT: Microsoft's system is almost a carbon copy of Valve's Steam system, and the 360 ALREADY allows for downloadable games. Bet you pounds to pence the XB1 will ALSO have the ability to download the games off the Internet: no disc necessary.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New Xbox could DOOM second-hand games market - should read "New Xbox doomed from the start due to alienating all but the wealthiest of gamers"

6. mark l 2 Silver badge

When Microsoft realise that the revenue from games has dropped because people will be buying less games if they have to pay a £35 fee to re-activate second hand games they will probably back track and drop the idea just like they have with the always on internet connection on the XBOX1 and the up and coming changes to allow the start menu back in Windows 8. My advise would be hold off 6 months from buying and see what Microsoft do.

7. dervheid
    FAIL

Dear Microsoft

Do you want your shiny new console to be a success? Yes?

Then you need to quash this rumour flat. Because if this is true, then your new console is pretty much dead in the water.

Oh, and please don't counter it with the threat of "Well, we'll just kill of the '360 and force you to buy the One", because I suspect that 99.999% of gamers will retort to that with a resounding "Fuck You"

8. P. Lee

Converting Value to Cash

It seems that companies these days are bent on converting every bit of surplus value to cash. The problem is that it is surplus value that the customer is used to getting so they are reducing the value of their goods to the customer.

That's a dangerous strategy.

Another dangerous strategy is courting advertisers. It compromises the focus on the end-user experience.

I can't understand why MS don't find their own strategy rather than trying to mimic Google and Apple. With so many Windows/xbox systems out there, use your console as a private cloud. Make a big play of not having spyware or adverts and allowing users to keep control of their stuff. Keep your email on your xbox and just offer the option for mirroring/backing up to the cloud. Sell adsl and cable cards for xbox so that they can host VPNs for access while out and about, or at least offer an option to terminate pppoe on it.

They need to make a good product and do some good marketing, not find some dodgy way to make money from unexpected means.

9. g e

New Xbox could DOOM XBOX

Fixed.

SONY must be giggling like dizzy schoolgirls by now, as if the meh-launch of the One wasn't enough of a shot in the arm for them.

Last I read (this week) on PS4 is that SONY are leaving it to the publishers to destroy their own games via secondhand taxes rather than mandate anything themselves in the hardware/firmware. So the same as PS3, really. Wise.

The PS4 will have to have something seriously wrong with it or its feature set for me not to buy it and leave my XBOX experience behind with my dusty unused 360. In fact I know my last XBOX is a 360 already and this means that a cheap secondhand One is also no attraction as the games will be paywalled, even if the thing came with a hundred of them.

Just remains to see what this access to streamed pre-PS4 games thing is like. If SONY get that right and allow a physical disk to be a 'key' to online streaming of PS1, 2, 3 titles they've already won before anyone's even seen the console, IMHO.

10. fero

All this talk of reselling games ignores another large area of the used game market - that of people who pass a game they have finished on to family and friends, for free.

Most of my relatives have Wii's and they constantly swap games around. A few relatives also have Xbox360's and again, games are passed around. I suspect this market is massively overlooked!

Introduce any charge at all, and this exchange is killed off. That won't mean more games are bought, more like less next-gen consoles are bought...

11. bailey86

I'm not sure if I have this right

So - if I have a new Xbox1 - and have a couple of games for it - is this article saying that I can NOT take the game around to my friend's house and play it on his Xbox1?

Seriously? If that's the case then providing Sony don't do something as dumb then I think the console war is over and the PS4 will be the new standard.

1. bailey86

Re: I'm not sure if I have this right

To correct my own post...

You can take the game there - but then have to sign in to your own account which stores scores etc. But it does stop you from lending the games around and swapping.

This is still going to be hugely damaging to this new Xbox - you can't sell, lend or borrow games - without paying nigh on the full price again?!?

12. Paul 87

The biggest flaw I can see with the scheme from Microsoft's perspective, is with games tied so closely to accounts, and with a product aimed at security unaware teenagers and young adults, there's going to be a vast rise in account "theft" between mates. Without some form of lending library mechanism built in, this will end up costing Microsoft a lot more in man-hours dealing with the complaints, or if they don't, from lost sales from bad press

Not to mention the jailbreakers are going to have a field day getting around the DRM restrictions and selling on their hacks.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

high street hackers..

I think if this goes ahead we'll be back to the days where you can walk into a store and get your console modded.

Microsoft is already declaring war on the retail market with this, and while all the game stores have been sucking up to the big names over the last decade in order to get larger stock of the hottest new games they'll be quickly switching their business model around if they have any sense.

If modding of a console becomes primarily a method to play games you bought (albeit second hand) then the arguments used to crush it and get lawmakers on-side "it's only used for piracy!!!" will quickly lose all worth and the practice will become the norm again because let's face it, while there are a lot of us out there who do enjoy legitimate homebrew on our systems the current reason for modding is usually piracy.

If a game store can show an entire shelf of 100% legitimate game titles for sale second hand, and offer a £30 service to modify your console to be able to play them (with the warning that you'll lose online functionality) then I expect it to happen.

This could be a game changer and not in the way Microsoft planned.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Big Brother

Re: high street hackers..

I think if this goes ahead we'll be back to the days where you can walk into a store and get your console modded.

Unfortunately, rampant empire building by bureaucrats has it made it so that the whole security apparatus and SWAT overkill power of AUS/US/UK's Homeland Jackboot Security will come down on modders like the fist of Himmler in a short time.

14. Infernoz Bronze badge
    Mushroom

DRM is fraud and extortion, because it provide fake goods and is ironically anti-property

I buy far less of any media now, because I became utter fed up with this IP delusion and even worse the fraud of DRM. I've seen the harmful impact of this absurdity of DRM on less informed people, in that it prevents use of media on other devices used and owned by a customer, and all because the provider is greedy, tyrannical, and ultimately dead stupid e.g. Apple, especially Steve Jobs.

IP is really fundamentally broken, because anything which stops the purchaser (who should be the defacto owner of a sold good) from using the good how they see fit and to resell that good, is a fraud, extortion, and ironically anti-property rights and fair trade! A fairly traded good is sold with no strings attached.

The fraud of DRM becomes quite blatantly in-your-face when the authentication mechanism because unavailable e.g. when internet authentication or migration servers become unavailable, or you have to dispose of the host device or Operating System!

Saying there needs to be DRM to control IP disobedience is plain sophistry, or in plainer terms intellectual fraud, nonsense, BS; the 'solution' is worse than the problem!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Love the passion here but I'm not going to get my panties in a twist over something that's not officially confirmed by anyone not to mention that we really don't know all that much about the ps4 either do we? Did Sony even show a working prototype yet?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm really disgusted with the greed of Microsoft, so much so I'm considering flogging my 360.

Whilst I rarely buy second hand games, last was SSX for a few days fun over Christmas, my youth was spent buying second hand, trading in old games for new, and swapping games with friends. The inability to loan a game is huge enough. It's certainly going to dent new game sales as much as it restricts second hand... People have budgets. Absolutely ridiculous time to go about this considering the financial climate.

I've not heard anything from Sony yet... I know they patented a RFID system for disks. Did that make it into the PS4. If so they'll earn my ire also.

17. The Vociferous Time Waster

Luxury product

Games are a luxury product. If you can't afford the product you have no human right to get it by installing from media you obtained without paying the original content creators.

Why should a whole ecosystem exist to allow people to play games without paying the content creators a penny?

1. Connor

Re: Luxury product

The same could be said of anything from houses, cars and jewellery right through to clothes. How can I be allowed to buy clothes from a charity shop for a nominal sum when the 10 year old 'tailor' in Bangladesh won't get his cut? The whole world is a system for purchasing products second hand and always has been, it is only in recent times that 'content creators' are claiming that their products are so wonderful and so unique that they can only be purchased once, ever.

The whole concept is ludicrous and akin to a watchmaker claiming that once he has sold a watch, it can never be used by anyone other than the person he sold it to, moreover the buyer never actually owns the watch, only a non-transferable license to view the time on said watch, a license that can be revoked at any time, for any reason, at his discretion. When the buyer expires, so does the license and the watch must be returned to the watchmaker to enable him to 're-sell' it. But then, a nice watch is a luxury item.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Alert

It was this logic that led to the first Goblin War in Harry Potter.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Thumb Down

A honorable gentleman says....

If you can't afford the product you have no human right to get it by installing from media you obtained without paying the original content creators.

This is an amazingly circuitous route of saying "rent is due because I say so".

3. Anony-mouse
      FAIL

How much is Microsoft (or the big game developers) paying you to be their little forum troll?

I don't even game and the last game box I bought was a SNES many many years ago, but I find this development by Microsoft to be utterly revolting. I sincerely hope that the xbox1 falls flat on it's ass and people save their money for a platform with a more buyer-friendly attitude than Microsoft has shown lately. I am not a blanket Microsoft hater by any means, but their decisions for their products really suck since they came out with Windows 7.

4. Danny 5
      WTF?

Are you serious?

So if you buy a second hand VW, you're more then happy to pay a fee to VW? and extend that to any fysical product. How's about your phone? you buy a second hand Iphone4, will you be willing to pay Apple a fee? If you buy a second hand book, would you be ok with the author being paid for that same book again?

Come on, be realistic here, your logic means nobody ever has right of ownership, you merely rent your stuff.

For me and a large part of my MS fanboy friends it's become pretty clear, that if Microsoft continues down this path, they can kiss over half their gamer support goodbye.

18. PassingStrange

All well and good, except...

The problem is that companies, inevitably, will do there darndest to find ways to slither past the spirit of the law. Take MMOs (such as, e.g., World of Warcraft or Guild Wars 2) - where the various terms and conditions and EULAs routinely purport to deny the user the right to sell their game *account*. Sure, you can sell your copy of the game *software*, but the game software alone won't let someone else play the game. To do that you need to a registered account on the game servers (which is created, for example, using the unique key that came with a hard copy of the game, and which, once registered, won't be accepted again). If the game supplier refuses to recognise your right to transfer your *account*, you effectively can't transfer ownership of your copy of the game. I strongly suspect that this, too, is in breach of EU law - but until someone takes it to court and gets a decision in their favour (and some sort of order to enforce it) all the power remains in the hands of the big guys over the little ones. Don't be surprised if Microsoft do something very similar, therefore.

1. mmeier

Re: All well and good, except...

I have a membership in a fitness club that allows me 24/7 use of the facilities. It requires a physical token for entry so only one person at a time could use it. Still it is not transferable to my neighbour since I enter an individual contract. Same for the WoW (and likely XBox) games so I guess the stuff is legal

1. M Gale

There's a set of dumbells knocking about the house.

Funnily enough I don't have to pay to use them.

1. mmeier

Ah, the Penguin solution. It does about half what the real thing does in twice the time but it's free. And ugly. Thanks but I Keep with Windows and the cute aerobic teacher.

1. M Gale

Ah, the Penguin solution. It does about half what the real thing does in twice the time but it's free. And ugly. Thanks but I Keep with Windows and the cute aerobic teacher.

So what you're basically saying is that I'm right, you want to charge multiple times for the same thing, and now you're going to throw insults.

1. mmeier

Nope. I wanted to point out that your solution is the typical stupid concept of "I restrict myself to hurt the big companies" bla bla coming from the Penguin sector. I go to a fitness studio because I am NOT willing to restrict myself to a pair of dumbbells! So they are NOT the solution. And Linux is similar "You do not need this!" is the PenguBoy mantra when stuff does not work / software does not run. Sorry but I decide what I need/want. If you can not deliver - I buy something else.

Ironically not a console - never owned one.

1. M Gale

Nope. I wanted to point out that your solution is the typical stupid concept of "I restrict myself to hurt the big companies" bla bla coming from the Penguin sector. I go to a fitness studio because I am NOT willing to restrict myself to a pair of dumbbells! So they are NOT the solution. And Linux is similar "You do not need this!" is the PenguBoy mantra when stuff does not work / software does not run. Sorry but I decide what I need/want. If you can not deliver - I buy something else.

Ironically not a console - never owned one.

So not going along with the bullshit is "hurting myself"?

These are toys.

I have toys that do two hundred miles per hour at ridiculously low altitude, strimming the tops from daisies in a screaming blur of yellow, black and high-nitro exhaust smoke. How the fuck is not wanting to go along with DRM bullshit limiting me in any way whatsoever? The idiots want to push people like me away from the "AAA" games industry, that's fine by me.

I decide what I need/want. If you cannot deliver, I buy something else. I want something I can then give away or resell at a later date. I want something that doesn't require bullshit spyware installing. I want a product that is mine, and if Valve cannot provide that, then Valve do not get my money. Weston UK might though. Their toys are the dog's bollocks.

So asides throwing more insults at me, why should I be banned from giving someone my copy of a game?

2. gc73

No, you have a subscription to use the facilities. The physical token merely identifies the subscription is valid, you didn't BUY the token. I'm sure if you look in the contract you'll see the token is still the property of the gym company, required to be surrendered on demand.

19. MrE

Locking software to an account is nothing new...

I can't sell on my Apple iPhone apps even though I no longer use it.

I can't get money back for all my Android apps I now have.

I can quite happily pass them from device to device as they're locked to my accounts.

What's so different about locking console games to an account?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: Locking software to an account is nothing new...

Nothing probably but why do you accept being made an ass of?

2. Dr Lecter

Yes, and its wrong. The only thing I can say for some of the Android apps I have (Documents to go, specifically) have given me update after update with no extra charge. Many software houses would have given us Version 1, 2, 3 etc and charged for each and every update/version!

3. gc73

Indeed, having left the iOS camp for Android, I now have several (relatively) high value apps that are now useless, but Apple have no method of transferring to another account as a resale (or even gift to someone else).

Similarly, purchases through the iOS VPP are locked to an Apple ID, which I'm sure many businesses will love once they try to migrate licenses among staff and find they have to repurchase.

Both seem against EU law. Anyone willing to take them on?

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A move caused by rip-off game retailers

The only reason this is happening is because for decades now, companies like Game and others have been taking a massive slice of publishing profits by reselling games without paying any royalties to the developers.

I buy a game for £40 new release.

I play it and complete it.

I trade it in to Game and get £10 for it (If I am very lucky)

Game promptly resells it for £30 second hand.

Game makes £20 profit.

Developer, publishing house, etc, receive nothing, but lose the sale of a full price first-hand game.

Yes there is the old argument that "I wouldn't have bought it first-hand anyway" but it's not as strong an argument in this case, because chances are we would have bought the game at some point, even if it was a year later when it was on sale.

If there had been a reasonable system implemented over a decade ago where a percentage of profit from resales went to the publishers, this would never have come about. As it was, those companies were basically riding on those sales and raking in what they could. It's now lead to this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A move caused by rip-off game retailers

The customers are perfectly happy with this tho.

The game retailers are also running a business and obviously need a business model that works for them, they have one.

The original developer sold a copy of the game, wanting a second slice of the pie is greed.

I think it tells you a lot about modern games if people are so willing to trade them in for £10 anyway, ie they don't think they actually have anywhere near the RRP price, and simply aren't worth keeping.

My very favourite games I haven't traded in, I still play them time and time again to this day, the shovelware that gets put out as AAA titles these days does because it's all production values and no substance.

The model works on phones where most software is dirt cheap, so no big loss if you just throw it away (it's less than the hit most people take trading a game in the first place) This model is the work of Satan when you're talking about £60 games.

If all modern games cost £2-£5 it could work. The likelihood of all new games costing £2-£5 at release is absolute zero.

Practices like this will end up causing an industry crash because people have a limited budget and a limited tolerance for things like this and we're slowly seeing people wise up to it. It's not just going to cost millions of retail jobs in the short term but many thousands of developer jobs in the medium.

2. Rattus Rattus

What a load of twaddle. You buy a car for $15,000. Years later you trade it in at a dealer for $3,000 off another purchase. Dealer cleans up the car and sells it on for $5,000. How is that any different? Wanting to be paid again and again every time the car, sorry, game, changes hands is nothing more than simple greed. The publisher has already had their share of the profit. "Content" industries, including the game industry, need to stop believing they are special snowflakes that don't fall under the same rules as every other kind of purchase in the world.

1. El Andy

A second hand car has wear-and-tear, it degrades over time and that accounts for it's devaluation. A video game is basically identical regardless of whether or not it's brand new of been resold 15 times.

1. M Gale

A second hand car has wear-and-tear, it degrades over time and that accounts for it's devaluation. A video game is basically identical regardless of whether or not it's brand new of been resold 15 times.

So?

What you're saying is that something lasts a long time, so it should have a tax on every time it changes hands.

No.

2. Rattus Rattus

@El Andy

A game also has wear and tear. The disc gets scratched, scratches get polished out, after a few cycles of this you might start having problems reading it. The box gets scuffed and scratched. The manual gets ragged - oh wait, publishers can't be bothered including a manual any more. The map gets lost or damaged - oh yeah, publishers don't give us paper maps any more either. Though despite giving us less in the box they want to be paid more, that makes sense. Oh wait, no, it's actually just greed.

Besides which, technology gets outdated. That second hand game might be running on last year's engine and not look as good as the newer ones. Or that was the game everyone was talking about six months ago, not that you have finally got to play it all that discussion and discovery has passed by and everyone's talking about the newest game instead, meaning you are losing out on the social attributes of playing the game. Try playing Portal for the first time and telling people online "Hey, the cake is a lie!" You are not going to get the same camaraderie over it that you would have years ago. As carriers of much of today's popular culture, getting games late because you bought second hand means you have genuinely missed out on some of the value of the new game.

3. gc73
          Stop

Since publishers are willing to re-release games on budget or "platinum" labels, that blows your argument they don't devalue out the water.

3. MachDiamond Silver badge

Game is taking the risk that they may not be able to resell the game they purchased from you in a reasonable period of time. They also have to pay from premises, payroll, tax, utilities, insurance and all of the other overhead common with every other retailer. You do not have to sell your old game back to them. You can list it online or in the papers and sell it yourself for as much as you can get. Whether that is worth the extra coin you will bring in or not ..... Somebody buying episode 1 of a game series second hand may find that they want episode 2 as soon as it comes out and will purchase it new. The game publisher now has a new customer. Kids will now badger their parents to get them the latest installment for their next birthday, christmas, etc.

I was perfectly happy as a kid with Lego and Mechano. I wish I still had them. Between me and my mate, we could build a full size replica of the Tower of London! Didn't need mains power or an internet connection either.

21. AidanCheddar
    Boffin

Tackling two topics

First is the PC topic: ever heard of the Humble Bumble or GOG? DRM-free games up for download at anytime you please. PCs are less effected by these problems. It's usally the publishers that add-in the DRM, not the hardware venders. From an operating sytem persective, the Metro-side of Windows 8 might as well count as DRM.

Second is console topic: this will most likely DOOM Xbox's second-hand games market. Since the they'll likely loose their value. I'm not sure how PS3 will hand this situation, and havn't heard concern from Wii U.

22. regprentice
    FAIL

In some senses you can compare the second hand games market to fractional reserve banking.

Everyone in the chain resells the game after they have had their 20hours of use... user 1 sells at 90% of value, then user 2 at 80% of value and so on... As others have pointed out this cycle allows a reasonable proportion of new titles to be sold at the £40 bracket as users trade in 2 fairly new titles in exchange for a 'newest' one.

A bit ike a bank taking in 100K of deposits and using that to lend you 100k , then the next person 90k and then the next 80K and so on as would be the case with a 10% reserve requirement. Ultimately this props up a house price bubble as banks lend more than they have, and NEED to keep lending to keep the cycle moving... much like the new game price bubble. (I know high end console games have always been £40ish since the mid 80's... so they havent risen to subsequently fall like a true bubble... but surely games are due the kind of 'price realignment' suffered by CD's DVD's, ebooks etc)

Unfortunately software houses are now trying to chase these incremental price points and dropping the software price almost daily. Look at the retail cost of the new tomb raider game... literally halved in 4 weeks from the date of release and its been on a slippery slope since. What confidence does the initial buyer have that they are paying a 'fair' price. What confidence does a softwarehouse have that they can recoup their investment or be rewarded for their hard work in producing a decent and fairly ambitious game?

If you want a window into the prices Sony and M$ think they can charge have a look at the PS store. £60 for a new (download) title, when i bought a second hand physical copy of far cry3 for £12 they were still selling far cry 3 download for £60.

Interesting to see what comes of the steam console.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like