back to article Master Beats: Why doesn't audio quality matter these days?

Returning from a school trip to New York, my son handed back most of the $350 spending money we’d given him. Yes, I too thought it was a lot of dosh for a four-day tour but then I have no experience in the matter. When I was a kid, a school trip involved walking up to the pond to catch tadpoles for biology class, not …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Zmodem

Re: Gap in the market..

i just re-engineer cd`s, because they sound complete shit in general and a joke to anything of sound quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNzc_Var5qY

2. Mips
      Childcatcher

Re: Gap in the market..

That's so esoteric. You must be getting it right. No joke!

1. g e
    Holmes

Twatological

Gimungous stupid big earcans.. I'm sure they exist to keep hipsters' brains from leaking out of their paper-thin skulls while making them think they look individual and interesting.

You know when someone gives a shit about their headphone audio when they're using Shure Isolators or similar... approx 1/8th the size of those recycled oildrums though you do look a tad like Lieutenant Uhura though fuck me that's better than a 50's sci fi alien...

In fact I have a pair of £2 poundshop - yeah I didn't get that either - earbuds that actually sound bloody great, surprisingly extended bass, full middle and airy tops, though I have to prefer the car audio system for music on the move - OK, perhaps not in pedestrian areas ;o)

2. Irongut

Sennheiser

Even their cheapest pairs are better than anything from Beats.

3. Fading
    Facepalm

I'll admit it.

Yep - I had one of those Amstrads (was a bargin from Dixon's IIRC). You couldn't buy a cheaper 4 track tape deck (top one was two track for mixing down to). Bit of muting the central track and you had a nice cheap karaoke machine (if nice and karaoke can be used in the same sentence).

1. Darryl
      Thumb Down

Re: if nice and karaoke can be used in the same sentence

No, no it can't

4. Ben Holmes
    Happy

Fuck yeah!

Reef!

Excuse me whilst I go and dig out Getaway.

5. oldcoder

Hearing damage

I suspect a lot of the lack of interest in audio quality has been caused by the industry itself - the overloading of the volume on everything...

And then overloading the amps causing additional distortion with very bad effects on listener...

As in making them deaf.

The industry has forgotten that music is not just in the notes, or the volume... but also in the silence between the notes.

6. Churchy
    Happy

I agree about the Thatcher Years

I agree with the article, but the second paragraph was brilliant!!!

1. Naughtyhorse

Re: I agree about the Thatcher Years

yeah!

bitch i wish she was...

oh hang on a minute...

ding dong etc etc

1. Dazed and Confused

Re: I agree about the Thatcher Years

I take neither of you two children is old enough to remember the 70s.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: old enough to remember the 70s.

I remember. If only Dave could buy the prole's votes by giving them houses, eh?

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
            Unhappy

Re: old enough to remember the 70s.

But would he remember to tell the councils they couldn't spend the proceeds on building more houses?

7. jubtastic1
    Megaphone

My tuppound

I believe its a combination of napster and youtube thats to blame for this, there's a whole generation thats grown up with 'free' music, whatever you want to listen to, whenever you want, that most of it is compressed to shit seemed like a fair compromise at the beginning but now my kids (who have grown up with this), expect the compression noise and peak levels throughout to the point that music sounds wrong when it's missing.

I'm hoping as they grow older they will reasise what they've been missing and rediscover music.

Oh, and beats are just fashion cans, how they sound is pretty irrelevant.

8. Patrick R
    Facepalm

Footballers

Girls want to date footballers (you know why, ... not because they are the new role models). Guys want to look like footballers. Footballers got wet hair cause they're interviewed after the match and after the shower... put gel in your hair so you look like a footballer. Footballers have Beats headphones... wear Beats headphones. Footballers give a show of constant cheating in sport... Cheat.

Insult, be a racist twat, ring a colleague cause you spotted a drunk teenager, or even better, take your colleague's wife, bite if you want, It's okay, just a bit of anger management will do for you, cause you're a footballer.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: Footballers

Random Rant of the thread! Take an upvote!

9. Matt 75

RHA-audio

RHA SA950i cans - sound better than Beats and cost only £50. British company too. Tell your friends!

1. Alfie
      Thumb Up

Re: RHA-audio

RHA MA-350 earbuds are good quality for the price, but kept falling out of my ears. Got a set of Comply memory foam tips, and problem solved. All with change from £40. Better than the Sonys and Sennheisers I've owned over the years. Not audiophile quality, but good enough and the Comply tips get rid of the background noise on the bus/train.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Amstrad Faux Hi-Fi

I had to laugh at the bit about the speaker cabinets with three holes (ostensibly for bass, midrange and tweeter) but just one speaker inside.

My friend had one of those Amstrad towers which looked like the classic separates system of the day - with amplifier, tape deck and tuner stacked on each other in a chipboard and veneer cabinet and topped off with a turntable.

All very fine until one day it went wrong, and being a budding engineer I volunteered to fix it. Imagine our surprise to find that the "separates" were in fact just a single sheet of aluminium-faced plywood, with components stuck to the back, divided into three sections to look like discrete units and screwed to a largely empty wooden box.

Genius.

1. Jess--

Re: Amstrad Faux Hi-Fi

I used to do a roaring trade in modified amstrad stereos by turning them into slimline wall mountable units, people thought it was amazing that they could be slimmed down to 4 inches in depth (with the loss of the turntable) and still work perfectly, very few realised that the rest of the box was normally empty on un modified stereos.

my system at the time was various sony tape decks, a cd player unbolted from the bottom of a combined system (cant remember the make on the outside but it was sony innards) a pioneer sa-706 amp (still have it in the loft) and some sony APM-101 speakers.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You are now my favorite El Reg hack

"in order to help fund Thatcher’s cock-sucking City trader friends’ plan to steal from the public sector for 30 years and then, when it eventually went wrong, get the public sector to pay for it."

FTW!

1. Piro Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: You are now my favorite El Reg hack

Fantastic quote.

12. Sequin
    WTF?

One problem

Why pay for a hugely expensive seat of headphones when you have to listen to them with a pair of ears that came free of charge?

13. MartinBZM
    Devil

Audio "Quality" on Phones

My daughter likes to listen to "crap music" on he phone.... It sounds even crappier to me coming from the phone than from de radio, and she kind of agrees wirh me.

One day I told her there is a way to vastly improve the quality of the sound of the phone ...

"You have to put it on the floor with the display facing down."

"And then stomp on it really hard with your foot !"

14. IGnatius T Foobar

Did you really need the political commentary?

I was prepared to read something about audio quality but I stopped reading when you prefaced the article with a bunch of left wing political crap.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: Did you really need the political commentary?

I find it's valuable to read things written by people who's politics I disagree with. You certainly can't engage with them in any meangingful way if you don't at least try to understand where they're coming from.

1. John H Woods Silver badge

sabroni: "I find it's valuable to read things written by people who's politics I disagree with"

+1. I greatly enjoy reading the output of AO, LP and TW on these pages, although I doubt we share much political common ground.

2. Steven Roper
        Thumb Up

I also make the effort to read articles and comments by those whose politics I don't share; there's no point in trying to argue with someone if you don't understand why they think the way they do, or you'll just end up crossing wires and neither of you will get anywhere. As a result, my political stance encompasses elements of of both leftist and rightist thinking. You need some kind of minimum standard of living and welfare for those who need assistance to maintain it, but you also need some leeway for business to be able to grow and survive in a competitive world. So it's important to understand both sides of the issues.

My biggest problem though, comes when dealing with those whose political views involve the use of words like "racist", "sexist", "misogynist", "homophobic", "xenophobic", "heteronormative", and "(white/male) privilege" - which generally leaves me wanting to blow their sanctimonious heads off. I find it ironic that the worst offenders in that camp are often white and/or male themselves. Methinks they doth protest too much?

15. ecofeco Silver badge
    Meh

Tin ears

Most people have tin ears and always have.

Headphones? I often find some cheap headphones actually have some very good quality. How do I know this? When I can hear the string plucked that I haven't heard in years. Or the inhale of breath. Or a very high note or fading drum beat that's been lost over the years.

Don't get me started on pub/bar sounds systems. "Shit" doesn't even do 'em justice.

1. Tel Starr
      Unhappy

Re: Tin ears

Why would you want to hear McCartney let off a wet one mid way thru Hey Jude?

Music is to be enjoyed. So long as you are enjoying it how you actually listen to it is meaningless.

2. plrndl
      Pint

If you go to a pub/bar to enjoy the quality of the background music, you have seriously lost the plot.

And on that note, I'm going to the pub for a beer.

3. Don Jefe
      Happy

I think you're confusing isolation with quality. Even crappy headphones block out a substantial amount of the ambient noise that drowns out subtle sounds in the recording.

Ambient noise is one of the biggest killers of sound quality & people generally try to compensate by cranking the volume, which results in poor quality due to mechanical limitations on the drivers & pushes already overloaded amps past their limits.

Instead of putting big bucks into gear a more efficient route (assuming you own your residence) is to invest in quieting the room down. The same is true in vehicles. In the mid-ish 90's when we were building car systems for competition it was common to spend as much on sound deadening and resonance control as was spent on the components themselves.

16. Andrew Heffron

Fiat is actually offering Beats Audio as an upgrade to the STANDARD Bose system. What?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Fiat? I could understand Mitsubishi

Fiat? I could understand Mitsubishi doing this, along with the "zero suspension travel" slam-down, "rubber band on huge rims" t[iy]res, "day-glo paint", "undercarriage neon", "stupidly high 'spoiler'", "large number of stickers", and "Krylon black windows" options that seem to all go together.

Oh, and lest I forget, the all-important "chrome phart-pipe exhaust" option.

2. 142

Given the quality of Bose systems in the last decade, Beats Audio is probably an order of magnitude upgrade!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They're just following the basics of "BOSE" - Buy Other Sound Equipment.

17. Richard E

Hard to know where to start...

There are so many points here it's hard top know where to start.

Most modern music sounds crap because it's over-compressed at the mastering stage, where too many people think that making their content appear louder than anyone else's would make it sell better, whereas in fact it becomes a tiring muddy mess that makes people NOT buy music. And the technique doesn't work because a) everyone else is doing it and b) virtually everything you listen through has its own method of levelling things out that thwarts maximising. For more details, look up "Loudness Wars".

Most music heard on personal stereo systems whatever the make sounds crap because of lossy compression. MP3 - an ageing technology at best - is worst at this; AAC is much better but still not perfect. Lossy compression claims to remove the things you can't hear to reduce file sizes but in fact it removes plenty you CAN hear too. The only way round this is to use better compression, ie lossless. Apple Lossless and FLAC compress files without losing ANY data at all. Storage is cheap as anything now so why worry about compressing the crap out of your music (and the life out of it too) when you can hear it all? There are also new technologies in the pipeline that will deliver maximum detail if you have a special player and normal quality if you don't.

The main problem with listening on a personal stereo isn't the personal stereo, it's the headphones. Tiny little earbuds manufactured for pence are going to be hard-pushed to sound good. To get any kind of decent sound you will need something better - not necessarily over-hyped over-hyped names but good solid headphones made by reputable audio manufacturers at whatever price you can afford.

The last thing you might like to look at is the replay system. Your computer is not the best environment for music because it's so busy being good at doing other things. If you want to listen on your computer, however, you have many more options than you do if you want a personal stereo. To begin with you can buy an external USB DAC like Meridian Audio's Explorer or one of its competitors - a couple of hundred quid but worth it if you care about your music (and if you don't, why are you bothering?). Coupled with decent headphones, a good USB DAC can transform your listening, and the better the source, the better it sounds.

Hope this helps.

1. Jess--

Re: Hard to know where to start...

it doesn't have to be a seperate usb dac

pretty much anything apart from on-board audio will generally give a vast improvement (on-board is generally there for office usage error beeps and maybe a few video calls)

this was highlighted to me by doing like for like comparisons between my computer and my business partners

both in the same room

both with identical motherboards

identical speaker systems

the only difference between the systems is that mine has an obselete sound blaster audigy and his is using on-board audio, words do not describe the difference in audio quality (and I know the audigy is far from perfect)

1. 142
        Unhappy

Re: Hard to know where to start...

Ah yes... the beautiful sound of every mouse movement signal bleeding over from the USB input on the motherboard, onto the on-board audio headphone output...

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There are very few "names" I would trust....

There are very few "names" I would trust for audio - most performers have no clue about the technical aspects of sound (ESPECIALLY what passes for "music" "performers" now-a-days).

I *might* buy headphones with Tom Scholtz's name on them - the man has a Masters in Mechanical Engineering, as well has having proven himself as understanding production. I *might* buy headphones with Alan Parson's name on them, because again, he's shown he understands production.

But really, the only name I'm really going to jump on would be Bob Heil, because he's shown over the decades that he understands how to make things that make music.

19. Phill 3

Beats audio quality

I find it interesting that there a no published specs. for any of the 'Beats' kit. Nor for the shorter lived but similar HP branding exercise etc. E.g. Frequency response, sensitivity, THD. I think it's fair enough to promote them on their fashion styling but I find it annoying that they purport to be of superior sound quality yet they refuse to release any figures.

20. Natalie Gritpants
    Stop

You need to shoot yourself

Feeling miserable because GDP has gone up? I remember what this country was like in the 70's and 80' and the sense of entitlement in some sectors was higher than it is now. Thanks to Thatcher we have now stripped most of the power from the unions (but not before they destroyed the car industry).

Music on cheap headphones sounds better than on expensive old stuff because it has no wow, flutter, clicks, print-through, interference from engine ignitions. It has similar harmonic distortion and frequency response but your brain is quite capable of compensating for that and removing a fair bit of random noise otherwise you wouldn't be able to have a conversation while walking between rooms.

Cheer up and listen to some music you enjoy.

1. Steven Roper
      Flame

No, you need to shoot yourself

Are you really happy that your kids are working 60+ hours a week for a pittance while the CEO of the company they work for waxes fat and rich on their labours, because this Thatcher whose boots you lick destroyed all the hard-fought rights of workers to decent pay and working conditions?

I also remember the 70s: a fair day's pay for a fair day's work, a 38-hour week, and only Dad had to work to pay the house off (Mum started working in the 80s so they could get their 25 year mortgage down to 10.) You try and find that lifestyle anywhere now, thanks to people like you supporting Thatcher and her ilk.

21. Britt Johnston
    Happy

good sound is possible

As commenters like peter gathercole mention, quality of sound has been a problem since Edison. But I'm happy with my current sound from my laptops, and use these in preference to mobile devices. The laptop signal feeds to a USB soundcard, and from here into the AUX channel of a bedsit Hifi.

- so yes, tinny laptop speakers are the worst problem

- the two laptops differ in signal: an Acer being noticeably better than a non-Beats HP

- I do attach sound-compensating headphones, to filter out house noise and let others sleep, but they would be unsafe in traffic.

- Youtube is interesting, also because of the range in quality of uploaded music - a valuable discipline of its own, as previous comments have mentioned.

22. Thorfkin

PC Audio

The same thing has been happening in the PC market as well. You used to be able to expect that a high end PC would come equipped with a creative labs, turtle beach, or other comparatively high qualify audio card but these days you're hard pressed to even find them separately let alone buy a machine with a decent audio card pre-installed. I remember I used to be able to find motherboards with creative labs audio chipsets onboard. Now all I see are realtek chipsets. My home theater PC is poorer for it.

But I also agree that the source audio quality is a big problem these days. I have an old album called the Sierra Soundtrack Collection recorded my Mark Siebert that I bought back in the early 90s. The audio fidelity is absolutely amazing. It easily destroys newer stuff like my Disturbed albums in quality. Don't get me wrong, I love Disturbed's stuff but I do really miss the 90s focus on audio fidelity.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: PC Audio

Old audio cards/chips offloaded a bunch of sound processing from the CPU because the CPU was not fast enough to do it itself, or only barely fast enough.

Now that the processor in your phone is literally 50 times faster than your 486, fancy sound cards are absolutely not necessary.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

If I remember correctly, the big thing about Beats Audio on HP notebooks was that more consideration had been given to design and layout of the audio circuitry on the motherboard - basically they realised that audio signals are different to digital signals...

So HP would seem to have used "Beats" as a tool to market these notebooks with a "youth appeal" image that couldn't be obtained through using names such as Dolby or Creative...

2. Richard 12 Silver badge

True, the processing needed is completely irrelevant these days.

However, the onboard DACs and line/headphone amps tend to be really rubbish, built as cheap as possible with noisy PSUs.

This doesn't matter though, as almost all of them have a digital audio output to feed into something with a decent set of DACs and amps - be it HDMI, SPDIF or optical.

Pretty much every discrete graphics card with an HDMI port has this capability, and the Realtek, nForce audio etc chipsets not only all have the digital output to connect it, but will "sound" exactly as good as anything else playing the same audio file.

Nobody needs a discrete sound card for good PC audio playback anymore - just a decent amp and speakers with digital audio input.

23. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

A revelation

So Dr Dre's PhD isn't in acoustics then ?

24. vinyl1

It is ironic that audiophiles...

...have gone in the other direction. I was at the Chester Group audio show in New York a couple of weeks ago, and there were no systems on display under $100,000.

Of course, it's a show, they're going to show off their best stuff, but things have gotten out of hand. The sound was fabulous, but really.

Not only that, but the best music was private double-DSD rips of analogue studio master tapes, which of course are not available at all to consumers at any price. While 5.6 million bits a second can sound mighty good, there's no point to the equipment if no music is available.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.