back to article The ten SEXIEST computers of ALL TIME

Does a computer need to look sexy? You might say that the looks of such a pragmatic gadget don’t matter. After all, most of us have, at one time or another, had to make do with bland, beige boxes almost exactly like everyone else’s bland, beige box, and it didn't hinder us from getting the job done, or made play any the less …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. ElNumbre
        Thumb Up

Re: Dyson

I suspect it could also blow, depending on what they go for.

1. Juillen 1
    Holmes

I was really fond

Of the look of my old Apricot Qi 300 PC (my first proper PC, after coming up through the ranks of the ZX80,81, VIC 20, BBC B).. It won me a few contracts in the day because of the built in security (infrared key card and security chip on board that prevented anything working unless you authenticated using the key, as long as you had it enabled)... It looked pretty neat too!

http://www.old-computers.com/MUSEUM/computer.asp?st=1&c=995

2. John Savard

Amstrad PPC 640

I think that the Amstrad PPC 640 deserves an honorable mention here, looking like something out of Space: 1999.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Amstrad PPC 640

That's another Rick Dickenson special IIRC. Because of the complexity of designing the portable computer, Sugar was talked into using a top notch industrial designer.

Pity Dickenson wasn't around for the PCW. A lovely machine that was a superb Word Processor (arguably better than PC's 3 or 4 times its price for word crunching, but was pig ugly.

3. brakepad

Psion Series 3

Definitely should be in the list. The Series 3 was beautifully constructed with a sligthly dappled & tactile textured exterior & clearly lots of thought put into the ergonomics.

The Series 5 had the more impressive slide-out keyboard but was substantially bigger, more plasticky and felt like one too many designers had had their input.

4. cjstephen

Sun workstations

No mention of any Sun workstations? Either the clean-lined, architectural slab of the so called "pizza box" Sparcstation or the tower style Ultra just felt so much more elegant, substantial and cool than their tacky x86 cousins.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Sun workstations

The 1989 SPARCstation- that was Frog Design again.

5. Fishy
    Pint

Mechanical

None of these are sexy, they are all boxes with electronic gubbins that you can't see working. A difference engine, or an analytical engine are sexy.

1. Simon Harris

Re: Mechanical

Being hard-wired it doesn't quite fit with the theme,

but watching a bank of Bombes at Bletchley Park whirring away to find a solution is poetry in motion.

6. Rabid
    Alien

Thinking Machines CM200

CM200 - The only sexy computer ever made?

7. deMangler

Personally I prefer brutalist computer design. I loved the BBC MIcro.

Not my thing, but does anyone remember the Goupil Golf?

Not sure if sexy is the word, but it was french.

8. Andrew Newstead

LC475

The Macintosh LC 475, another pizza box of a desktop machine. I was completely taken by that design when I first saw it.

http://www.oldmac.jp/lc475.html

9. cookieMonster Silver badge
    Happy

What about the BeBox...

god I loved that computer and OS... (and still have it)

10. Steve Evans

Spectrum and ZX81 sexy?

They looked exactly what they were... Cheap!

Maybe that's how you define sexy...

11. Tezfair
    Thumb Up

Babbage's engine

Best steampunk computer ever

12. Dr_N

No iMac ?

Really? An icon of the internet era, I'd say.

I did covet the Elan at the time.

And the C128 although cool, wasn't as sexy as the B128 "headless" PET replacement.

1. Dr_N

Re: No iMac ?

No "Original" iMac, that is. The Jeff Goldblum advertised one.

13. Irongut

Why isn't the Cray #1?

The Cray is way sexier than a laptop that happens to be slimmer & shinier than other laptops but otherwise looks identical to every laptop ever produced.

Any why is the NeXT cube there at all? It's just a cube ffs and not a very attractive one at that.

14. Captain Scarlet
    Coat

Original Alienware cases

Maybe its just gamers, but I prefer the looks of most of the older Alienware cases to the ifads.

15. Paul Curtis
    FAIL

No Connection Machine?

Gee, come on! Think Machines built some of the best looking computers. Sure, the Cray is nice, but Connection Machines are flippin awesome!

http://people.csail.mit.edu/bradley/cm5/

16. Identity

More omissions...

The Macintosh 20th Anniversary and the BeBox

17. Alain Moran
    WTF?

Where is the QL?

You list the ugly ZX-series but not the gorgeous QL ... are you mad?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

zx81 sexy?

quick, call the mental health nurse

19. FreeTard

Two apples...

...yet no pie! Why not lads?

20. Paul Hampson 1

What no QL?

I have a number of problems with this list:

1) how can the mac book air win when it left ethernet and other connections. It doesn't look so sexy with all the necessary dongles hanging of it.

2) The PS3 only if you work work the North Korean Airforce would you be desparate enough to include this a a "computer".

3) What about the Sinclair QL (or at least the Spectrum+).

There I feel better now.

21. Mike Dunderdale
    Coat

What, no SGIs

Agree with the other poster - I read the title and thought that at least the O2 should be in there. They were far more pioneering with form and elegance than most other manufacturers.

And I still might get around to converting one of our older machines into an Espressigo..

22. MrScott
    Joke

HAL

Where are all the geeks? Wasn't Eniac sexy? Look at all those tubes. "...17,468 vacuum tubes, 7,200 crystal diodes, 1,500 relays, 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors and around 5 million hand-soldered joints. It weighed more than 30 short tons (27 t), was roughly 8 by 3 by 100 feet (2.4 m × 0.9 m × 30 m), took up 1800 square feet (167 m2), and consumed 150 kW of power.[11][12] . Just try and spill a soda on that!

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PS3 best looking? What about the Wussy Controller?

"even the most eager Xbox aficionado ...has to concede that Sony has the best looking console."

Best looking (or not) console aside, the PS3 still has the worst CONTROLLER IMHO.

It feels like its been designed for a kid. It lacks weight or sturdiness or something.

Moreover, for a long time after the launch good luck finding games that had Split-Screen...

24. Crinoid

Thinking machines got left out

If you're after sexy machines, you can't forget Thinking machines with it's big light up panels show internal node activity...

25. Outcast

Wot No Amiga A3000T & 4000T ?

Even the A1000 was a sexy bit of kit

26. jpb421

I always thought that the Sun Sparc workstations were the most aesthetically pleasing of the computers that I've worked with. Very slim but solid they seemed to match the philosophy of the RISC chips they contained.

27. Himalayaman
    WTF?

PS3? Lol?

28. HCV
    Thumb Up

TRS-80 Model I FTW

The monitor was an RCA XL-100 television, spray-painted "Space Patrol Silver."

The name plate covered up the holes where the channel knobs would normally have gone.

The monitor cable came out of the hole where the vertical hold knob would have gone --with a "V" still prominently embossed above it.

Jony Ive and frogdesign only *wish* they could have been this sleek and innovative in their design.

29. FutureShock999
    Paris Hilton

Nearly ANY 1990s supercomputer should make this list...

As others have said, Thinking Machines CM-series (I used to work on a CM-5, we had it in our data center), Kendal Square Research KSR-1, Cray as mentioned, Oracle's nCube, , SGI - take your pick, Tandem Himalaya, MassPar, and who can forget Teradata with their early Y-net machines? They were all built in a day when these machines were HUGELY expensive, and had the looks and styling to match. Today's supers are just lines of equipment racks with blades or subchassis, and look like nothing special (that is why I omitted the IBM SP-series off this list, even though it was a contemporary). They are built to a competitive price, not to let you know that your data centre holds something special. But back in those days, machines LOOKED the part - something that could change the world and wanted you to know it visually. Compared to these, the PS3, and indeed most of this list just are not that sexy - I'll give you the Next and Apple cubes, but a lot of that list is fairly boring. For that matter, I think an IMSAI 8080 should have made the list too - who doesn't like paddles and lights?

N.B. - When Thinking Machines went bankrupt, there were CM chassis literally picked out of their Cambridge, MA dumpsters, that had a retail price of hundreds of thousands of dollars... :-( I don't know where I would have stored it...but I wanted one. Sigh.

Paris, because she knows all about the importance of "style"...

30. Beachrider

I have a picture of Steve Jobs in my pocket...

Do you WANT to see it?

31. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

Wot, no ISC 3621

Arguably the first (certainly ONE of the first) colour desktop computers.

http://www.dvq.com/ads/isc_3600.pdf

8088 based, with 16k (32k on the posh model) PROM, 32k RAM and 4k workspace

CP/M operating system and a BASIC interpreter.

8 colour display

Graphics plotting on a 128H x128Vgrid (I laugh at your 1080p scans!)

51k + 51k capacity 5 1/4" FDD

And a nasty propensity for one of the PSU capacitors to wee electrolyte across a 100V track that was routed between its pins. Always made a very satisfying KZZZRRRTT!

Had one of the nicest keyboard actions I have ever used.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Where...

...is the Cobalt Qube 2? Easily way sexier than any slice of Apple you could offer.

1. Pookietoo

Re: Cobalt

+1 for Cobalt machines. I also rather like some of the later Sun Ultra boxes like this one.

33. wbw357
    FAIL

Proof the Reg Fetishizes Computers Instead of Understanding Them!

This article is proof the Reg fetishizes computers instead of understanding them. Computers aren't sexy because of what they look like; they are sexy because of what you can do with them. REG!!! Hire someone who actually knows how to program and stop wasting our time with articules ike this!

1. jason 7
      Facepalm

Re: Proof the Reg Fetishizes Computers Instead of Understanding Them!

Thanks for that Buzz Killington.

34. endi

EP! yes

Wow, EP was my first computer!

If you are interesting, there is a dedicated EP128 forum:

http://enterpriseforever.com/

And collected infos and programs: http://ep128.hu/

Please, if you are an EP128 fan. join us in the forum

35. stu_san

Connection Machine 5

With only the Cray-2 as a salute to high-end computing, I would like to add the Thinking Machines' CM-5. Corny dialog and dopey Jurassic Park graphics aside, the CM-5 *looked* like a supercomputer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connection_Machine

36. Observer1959

20th Anniversary Mac

When the title mention Apple I thought for sure the 20th Anniversary Mac would have made the cut. While it wasn't the most powerful of the Mac line of the time the design was surely sexy. You could definitely see that machine sitting on any CEO's desk. It also had the Bose sound system.

37. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Cray? Yes please!

The Origin also was bloody gorgeous.

That said, for pure, sleek simplicity, I loved the interior of the G5. :-)

38. Roo
    Angel

I nominate twin INMOS B042's.

Twin INMOS B042's, fully loaded up with 20MHz T800s.

They had a nice golden glow even under the tube lights.

IIRC that amounted to ~ 1.68 peak GFLOPs, which was not bad in 1990 for 3 year old boards.

39. Mike Flugennock
    Meh

MacBook Air and Mac Cube

Speaking as a long-time Mac user, imho the Air and the Cube may have looked cool from the outside, but the MacBook Air's inability to upgrade memory, its lack of internal Ethernet, and limited USB capacity -- and the Cube's various technical issues -- made them far less sexy. The MacBook Air would've been much sexier if it had expandable memory and more ports (I would've settled for it being a bit thicker for that) and the Cube would've been way sexier if not for the power switch issue, the defective polycarbonate issue, and its limited expandability. Too bad, really -- they looked really cool. What a lot of designers don't realize is that functionality adds to "sexiness", too.

40. Mike Flugennock
    Thumb Up

Now, the Cray 2, on the other hand...

...not only has superior functionality, but looks ultra-super-cool, like a computer from a sci-fi movie. Wicked-assed sexy.

41. Jim Wilkinson
    Pint

NeXT cube - what about the NeXT slab?

I got my company to buy me a NeXT cube and it was a beautiful machine - better than the cube IMO.

(that was before the IT fascists forced everyone onto Windows boxes).

1. Robert Forsyth

Re: NeXT cube - what about the NeXT slab?

The pizza box was like a squashed cube.

42. P4YL04DED

Joe 90

Is it my imagination, or is the operator working the Cray 2 also the famous Gery Anderson character?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like