back to article Review: Renault Zoe electric car

To argue that the electric car has already failed is farcical. To date only one mass-market EV from an established car maker has been launched in the UK: the Nissan Leaf. Even I’m not fully convinced by the Leaf. I think it’s too big, too ugly and too expensive. A revised, cheaper, longer-range Sunderland-built model will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Bodhi

I'm sorry, but do you actually know what you are talking about? Hard acceleration for a short amount of time uses a similar amount of fuel as gradual acceleration for a long period of time. I always get up to speed quickly (as you really should do to help keep traffic flowing), yet am currently averaging 45 mpg from a 10 year old 3 litre BMW. Hardly using a massive amount of fuel, and any savings by accelerating slowly would be negligible. I know this as I performed a similar experiment - result 45 MPG and a shedload of boredom.

And if you can't figure out why a car engineered to do 150 is safer on the motorway than one engineered to do 80, I'm sorry, you should probably hand in any driving license you have and get on the bus. It's a question of capabilities and limits, doing 70 on the motorway in a 3 series will find you well in the car's comfort zone, in a Zoe you will be pushing what it can do.

1. Conrad Longmore

Indeed, this is my understanding. There is no significant difference between accelerating quickly and slowly in terms of fuel consumption. The engine has the same work to do in either scenario. This only works if you're not over-stressing the engine though, if you're revving at the limits of what it can do then engine efficiency tends to drop.

The problem is not the starting.. but the stopping. If you are constantly in an accelerate - brake - accelerate cycle then you are wasting fuel when you have to apply the brake to slow down (unless you have a car with regenerative braking). Remember, most modern engines consume no fuel at all under engine braking, so a change in driving styles can have benefits when it comes to fuel consumption.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Hard acceleration for a short amount of time uses a similar amount of fuel as gradual acceleration for a long period of time"

Often it uses less as the motor spends less time in the inefficient rev ranges.

What kills fuel economy is BRAKING (tossing oddles of energy overboard as heat). Get your speeds right and you don't have to do much of it.

As for "engineered to do 150", etc etc etc:

1: They're only engineered to pass crash tests at specific speeds.

2: Top speed bears little relationship to robustness on less than perfect road surfaces

3: The most efficient speed for nearly every vehicle on the road is 55mph (air friction increases with the 3rd power of velocity). I can easily get 65mpg out of my 2litre car around the M25 if I don't mind being bored witless.

Small engined cars quite often use more fuel to maintain 70mph than larger ones as they're operating out of their torque peak (which is why it often feels like they're riding the ragged edge of oblivion). On an EV this isn't an issue (torque is greatest when stationary and efficiency/power is not related to rotational speed) and the only sound you'll get is from the tyres/wind.

Cabin noise is far more affected by the amount of sound deadening than the size of the vehicle - it's just that small cheap cars usually have a lot less of it installed for weight reasons. Given the mass of batteries, this isn't such a consideration in EVs.(*)

(*) FWIW my 1972 4 litre Australian shipping barge had more internal noise at 60mph than a 2002 Peugeot 106 diesel had at 80mph. That was entirely down to noise deadening. The braking and handling reminscent of a pregnant blue whale was down to Chrysler Australia - but it did at least teach you to not outdrive your available stopping distance.

1. James Hughes 1

The benefits of hard acceleration are usually outweighed by other factors - certainly in town/traffic, hard acceleration is a waste of fuel, as you will almost certainly have to decelerate faster (as you got to a higher speed) when you meet up with the traffic again. It also very dependant on the engine torque curve. Note that higher RPM always uses more fuel, so if during your hard acceleration you are at an average higher RPM than a slower accelertion over the same time period, you will (probably) be using more fuel that a slower acceleration. So its not as simple as saying fast approx = slow acceleration wrt fuel consumption.

It might help when joining motorways. And of course flooring it at every opportunity puts more strain on the engine and reduces it's life.

As said above, gentle or no braking (which involves lots of looking ahead) gives the biggest benefit -.

1. Mark 183

I suspect it was the reasonable level of low-end torque that made it "feel faster". I'd imagine it would bottom out pretty sharply over say 40-50mph. Probably grand for in-town driving but I'm not 100% convince to suitability for motorway driving

1. Al Taylor
      WTF?

Confrontational?

Au contraire. I was just getting my rhetoric in first.

And I refuse to get into a debate about who is, or is not, a bell end with anyone who considers a 0-62 time of 13.5 seconds to be insufficient.

Insufficient for what exactly? Drag racing between traffic lights? Carving other drivers up? Driving like a oaf?

1. Bodhi

Re: Confrontational?

As I mentioned, joining motorways sensibly? Keeping up with the flow of traffic? Getting to where you need to go before you grow old? Overtaking Mavis doing 40 in a 60 safely?

My first car had a similar 0-60 time (not as pathetic mind, it was about 12s), and in order not to be an obstacle on the roads, it had to be given a pasting, which in turn wasted the fuel economy. I'm not suggesting the Zoe needs to be able to tear your face off in any gear, but a proper amount of poke would be beneficial in order for me to consider this car.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Confrontational?

It's better to just learn to drive properly. Why are you starting from 0mph on a sliproad to join a 70mph traffic flow? You're not, you are already moving as you enter the sliproad. Even if you were, sliproads are long enough to do this anyway. For instance, you might have noticed that lorries and buses have no problem.

Granted 0-60 in 13.5s doesn't allow you to accelerate to 85 and undertake traffic before slewing out straight to the fast lane, but see original point.

1. Chris Rowland

A nice review for once, better than the usual anti-eco ranting from the Register.

And it looks like a practical car if you don't need to travel long distances all the time. I can imagine getting one, it would cope with 95% of what we use a car for and hiring something for when it can't seems to me to be better than using something that's usually far too big all the time.

As for the deniers, with their attitude we would still be using the horse and cart, "What's the point in getting one of these new motor cars? They keep on breaking down, they run on petrol! My horses use the hay I grow for myself - and they produce more horses!"

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"And it looks like a practical car if you don't need to travel long distances all the time"

It's not.

That lease charge plus power charges mean it'll cost more to commute in this than my current 2 litre family wagon, assuming the figures stack up as quoted.

22kWh and a range of 140km means it's either hellaciously inefficient or they're only allowing discharge to some appreciable fraction of "full". A more interesting question is "what is the available discharge energy?"

If it's 11kWh available then things look brighter. If the lease figure was 35/mon then it's a practical proposition. At the moment (apart from being a Renault), it's simply not value for money.

1. Steve Todd

I think you might want to check your math there

EVs usually consume about 0.2 to 0.3 kWh per mile driven. 22 kWh and a 75-90 mile range is about spot on. A full charge on an economy overnight tariff should set you back £2.50ish, so your £70 lease plus £20 quids worth of electricity should get you 625 miles (7500 miles per year). Your petrol car costs an extra £10-19 quid per month in road tax, so to match the economy of the EV it would have to average 49-55 mpg.

2. BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

75 miles? hahahahahahahaha

75 miles is not by any stretch of the matter even remotely practical. That's a toy, not a car. City dwellers need to visit people outside cities too.

I can easily go 100 miles without thinking about it, and that's just fairly local (10-25 miles away) locations. Two trips in a day and the car is unusable.

Wake me up when the range is at least 200 miles. Preferably 300. It might then be viable assuming an overnight charge.

Also, more than 800 quid a year in battery rental? Surely they jest..

1. Beamerboy
      Megaphone

Re: 75 miles? hahahahahahahaha

Wake up - Tesla Model S will do exactly what you need, though now you'll tell me its too expensive I suppose, though you don't have to rent the battery so another thing you dn't need to worry about!

1. MrXavia
        Thumb Up

Tesla model S is not that expensive I think for a saloon, IF it was available in the UK when I brought my new car, i'd have considered getting one....

2. Goldmember

"another thing you dn't need to worry about!"

As Tesla refuse to replace dead batteries free of charge (see previous Reg articles on Tesla batteries that were unusable after being left to go completely flat) and the cost of a new one is several thousand, I'd say the battery in the Model S is the MAIN thing to worry about.

2. James Hughes 1

If you are going 100miles 'without thinking' perhaps actually thinking will save you a considerable amount of money (assuming petrol at 35mpg, that 3 gallons = £13ish) Do that every day, I BET you could save yourself quite a chunk over a year.

75miles isn't quite enough for my commute unfortunately, otherwise this would be a cost effective option. Close though.

1. BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

Unfortunately not. Most of my commuting or travel is by public transport. The car (diesel, 50+ mpg) is used when public transport would take 2-3 times as long and usually also when I'm carrying plenty of equipment. Public transport is usually only decent in a hub and spoke arrangement and woe betide you when wishing to travel between spokes.

If I did two regular weekend trips via public transport it'd waste over four hours of one day. That's why cars are great, and also why this is a toy, not a car.

The Tesla is not an option until someone on the average salary can buy one.

3. b 3
      FAIL

yes it is, by far most journeys are way under 75 miles..

from the article (did you actually read it?): "If you need a car that can travel further than 75-odd miles, the Zoe is quite obviously not the car for you. Bitching about it makes as much sense as complaining that you can’t get a three-seat sofa and five fat blokes in a VW Up. Of course you can’t, so don’t buy one."

1. BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

We're clearly not going to agree, but I will concede that most journeys are under 75 miles - most of the ones I'm thinking of are.

The problem is the recharge time. If I take a typical Saturday's activities :

Route 1 - 13 miles each way. Travel time half an hour (car), 1:11 (bus).+25 minutes extra wasted waiting time

Route 2 - 23 miles each way. Travel time half an hour (car), 1:30 (average - train, walk, bus). Have to leave half an hour earlier than in car.

Total=72 miles. Total time wasted if public transport used : 3 hours, 45 minutes + leaving half an hour early.

Heaven forfend I actually fancy nipping to the shops as well! Alternatively, how about going to my parents (65 miles). You can get there, but not back...

No, I don't have time to waste half an hour recharging at a charging station, and the places I'm travelling to definitely don't have recharge facilities. I am not willing to concede that my expectations are in any way unrealistic - they can be easily met by the most basic non electric car available.

Five fat blokes in a VW Up with a sofa is not a common occurrence for most people. Four fat blokes without the sofa might be - if the VW Up couldn't fit four moderately sized people (perhaps with a degree of discomfort in the back) I'd criticise that too..

There are plenty of small city cars that are a little underpowered for the motorway - but they can manage it if necessary.

A 200 mile range would be reasonable - all the local journeys would be covered, plus occasional day trips into the countryside. Holidays would be viable with overnight charging, too.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ugly, but nice

Looks like the hideous offspring of some disturbing Fiesta-Fiat 500-Mazda three-way.

But I'd have one.

4. unwarranted triumphalism
    Thumb Down

Won't discuss the failure of the electric car for 2 years...?

No, we'll discuss it now. And if I see you in one of those things, I'll call the police - toys go on the pavement, not the road.

1. b 3
      FAIL

Re: Won't discuss the failure of the electric car for 2 years...?

are you jeremy clarkson?

1. unwarranted triumphalism

Re: Won't discuss the failure of the electric car for 2 years...?

No, I don't like MX-5s either. Why can't these people buy a normal car like everyone else?

5. chriswakey

Range vs Temperature?

75 miles on a charge, but what was the ambient temperature during the test drive?

Driving one today, when it's currently -1 would surely impact on the range the battery can put out...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Back seats... need room for two kids, since the most common use for a 4 door is school run.....

Looks like there is barely room for two toddlers

1. b 3
      FAIL

toddlers don't need leg room mate, they are usually climbing all over the seats anyway :P

7. Zog The Undeniable
    Thumb Up

This would almost work as a proposition for us. My wife mainly does short trips to and from work 3 miles away, I rarely drive to work (I cycle, to keep the flab at bay) and we have a petrol-powered estate car for longer trips. It's vanishingly rare that we need to independently take long journeys.

Battery cost is still high, though - add on the electricity cost and we'd only just be breaking even on "fuel" costs, I reckon. Lower servicing costs and a longer-lasting vehicle, though.

Main disadvantage is that the house would really need rewiring, as plugging in the Zoe and the tumble drier together would almost certainly fry the substandard radial connection to the garage.

8. Eponymous Cowherd
    Meh

Almost, but not quite.

The price is right, and it is a very nice looking car, but that £70 a month to rent the batteries is an issue. Add to that that its going to cost about £1- £2 a day to charge (assuming single charge) then the "fuel" costs are going to be in the order of £90 - £110 a month. You also need to consider that its still going to burn that £70 even if it never moves off your driveway.

So it still doesn't, quite, compete with fossil burners for fuel economy (£90 will take my diesel estate over 700 miles (55mpg, and, yes, it really does do that). Even the battery rental equates to over 550 miles.

I imagine that as the technology improves the cost of the batteries (and their rental) will go down, charging times will decrease and range per charge will increase. Its also pretty certain that fossil fuel prices are going to increase substantially.

So, sometime in the near future (5 to 10 years, maybe), electric cars will be cost effective, but not right now

1. Matthew 3

Re: Almost, but not quite.

Since my current car costs nearly £70 to fill up, the leasing cost doesn't look at all bad to me. Although I agree about it still costing you when it's not being used. That part might need some more thought. My 15 mile commute each way makes this look ideal even without a charging facility at the office.

And while I can see that cheap overnight electricity might disappear in the future I can also see the possibility of millions of plugged-in electric cars making up the shortfall for those world-cup-half-time moments when the whole country suddenly needs more power.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Almost, but not quite.

The initial buy price of the car is car-battery, so the 70 per month lease is related to the capital value - not the operational costs (i.e. you are not paying 10K for the battery up front - but gradually over time by leasing)

9. Piro Silver badge

Getting closer..

Looks perfectly good for a runabout, nice design, upfront cost not terrible..

But £70/month is very steep for what is effectively nothing.

You could far, far further by buying the same amount of diesel, and bear in mind that £70/month of course is just the battery lease, not to mention your power costs on top!

The range of course still isn't good enough, but that's to be expected. I'd need my car to pull AT LEAST a 260 mile round trip (at motorway speeds) to be viable, because I have a specific journey (to and from Stansted airport) that isn't possible by public transport at certain hours (unless I want to spend more on a hotel overnight, or mope around in the terminal through the night), and on the way back, with two people, the cost of trains would no doubt be higher than that of diesel in my current car.

Basically this makes no economic sense, but is just about good enough for someone with disposable cash living in a city with a second car (probably a Range Rover) to use as their everyday runabout.. and to avoid congestion charging.

I don't live in a city, and have no desire to do so.

1. b 3

Re: Getting closer..

isn't the charge up overnight when the leccy is cheaper?

10. Ben Rose
    IT Angle

The thing that amazes me about electric cars...

...is the amount of techie geeks who believe all the marketing hype.

I know many, perfectly wise, intellligent people who just soak it all up. Some have even bought the cars. These are clever people, who normally ask the right questions. They're atheists as they like a bit of evidence and often work in IT or other science linked profession. They can do the maths, yet somehow believe the numbers they are given without challenging them.

I'm a clean air campaigner. I work in the City and breathe the pollution in central London, it's horrible. I'd love to see changes that reduce carbon emissions in the UK. But I've done the maths and EVs just don't help there.

Sure, if it were practicaly for everybody in London to switch to an EV then pollution may be better in the South. But up North in towns like Sheffield and Nottingham, where a lot of power is generated. pollution would get worse.

Maybe these EVs fans & buyers are just gadget geeks and simply can't stay away as it's a new toy with a plug on it? I admit, my interest was provoked for the same reasons but fortunately I saw through the hype before wasting my money.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The thing that amazes me about electric cars...

"Sure, if it were practicaly for everybody in London to switch to an EV then pollution may be better in the South. But up North in towns like Sheffield and Nottingham, where a lot of power is generated. pollution would get worse."

Sorry, what was the problem again?

1. Ben Rose
        Happy

"Sorry, what was the problem again?"

Global warming.

It will affect the South first...

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Good, it'll melt the snow.

2. b 3
          Go

climate change is happening all the time, electric cars are not about 'saving the planet'. they are clean, quite and over time will save you money. diesel fumes cause cancer, ask the WHO. that would make you feel better about not belching out poisonous fumes that give other people cancer. unless you were a real prick (i'm not suggesting you are), i'd say that would be something you would like about your car?

2. Tel Starr
      Facepalm

'I'm a clean air campaigner. I work in the City and breathe the pollution in central London, it's horrible.'

And by working in the 'City' you contribute to the pollution, so that buggers your clean air credentials.

Can anyone give a decent rational as to why the 'City' exists in this day and age? Is there any job or function within it that can't be done elsewhere?

1. Ben Rose
        Facepalm

"And by working in the 'City' you contribute to the pollution, so that buggers your clean air credentials."

Depends where I live, no?

2. b 3
        Go

plenty of local assets :)

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nicole?

Papa?!

1. Tel Starr

Except he wont hear her sneaking off in the car, he will hear a spaceship launching.

Does the horn sound like Hollywood Lasers firing?

12. andy gibson

Charging in public areas

Obviously just a generalisation based on the photograph, but I wouldn't want to leave my car unattended while charging judging by the graff on the walls of that car park. Who's to say nefarious characters aren't going to arse about with the power cable for a laugh?

1. Al Taylor
      Alert

Re: Charging in public areas

Two quick points on this..

You use a smart card to activate the public chargers and once activated the cable locks itself onto the socket on the car. You can only remove it when you swipe the your card to finish the charge. I'm sure you could wrench the cable off but it'd take some very serious effort - I gave it a good yank and it didn't so much as budge.

The graffiti is part of a city wide program to brighten up the interior walls of car parks etc by letting local graffiti artists paint them (Lisbon may look a bit down at heels but it is one of the most highly decorated cities I've spent time in). The examples behind the Zoes in the pic are pretty poor - the artwork on the wall opposite was more impressive.

2. b 3
      Go

Re: Charging in public areas

well if they electrocute themselves that would be fine with me!

13. Dr_N
    FAIL

Dodgy Renault Electrics?

Already bad enough in a combustion engined car.

In an all-electric effort? Non, merci!

1. b 3
      FAIL

Re: Dodgy Renault Electrics?

clinging to 70s stereotypes much?!

1. Pete 6
        FAIL

> clinging to 70s stereotypes much?!

Hardly! A colleague of mine would regularly carry around in his Megane spare coil packs and spare bulbs (they blew in the rain). The radio would refuse to work when it was "a bit cold" and the electric window motors were replaced twice under warranty as they would seize and generate vast quantities of smoke as they burned out, in both his and his wife's car.

I think the stereotype is still justified.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I'll concur on this. One of my friends has had a sucession of Renaults (her husband works for Renault HQ) and almost all of them have had serious problems of one sort or another during the 12 month lease period - including the dodgy electrical system deciding to repeatedly half-apply the electronic parking brake at speeds from 20mph upwards (that was 2011) resulting in a very unhappy set of disk pads. Other vehicles have had such habits as burning out the electronic dashboard (2010) and the ignition computer (2002 and 2004).

She'd much prefer to use something else but there are contractual issues involved.

14. Lee D Silver badge

Despite the hyperbole in the review, I have to say I'm not convinced.

The problems of the e-car are not the ones that are being addressed here.

A range of 75 miles? I'd need to charge it every day and if I go see my parents after work, I'm looking at a mid-day charge too. I'd need to fit a charger to my house or drive it to somewhere and park it for several hours while I pay to charge it up - 3KW might be an option if I have no other choice but I'm guessing the 45KW option is the real one you need and that's an external, waterproof, RCD'd, 180A power supply on the side of your house - my consumer unit won't even go past 100A, like most households, and not every electrician could even fit those for you.

I'd need to pay for the electricity to charge it, whatever way, and that's not free and not going to get any cheaper either. I'd need to £70pm to lease a battery as well? Really? That's a week's petrol.

I'd have to suffer lower engine performance. The car I drive is 15 years old and 85KW (and the spec sheet says it does 0-60 in 12s). Now, that's now the be-end-and-end-all, and I'm no boy-racer, but I'm losing "something" compared to driving my old banger. The tax, etc. might be cheaper but that's an annual cost and basically lost in the error margins of driving expenses.

This is tiny and I can fit an 8-foot shed in my car at the moment. I had a kiln in it the other week and drove 300 miles with it in the back and didn't even notice. The seats in that thing are RIDICULOUSLY close and most of the people I know would be uncomfortable in the back for more than a quick dropping off at the station. I can stick four more people in my car than myself and never have to plan to do so. They just get in and off we can go to Cornwall or Scotland on a single tank.

I do a lot of driving, more than just about everyone else I talk to about it, more than anyone I work with - 450 miles a week if I'm working. I've happily driven several thousand miles through Europe in a few days. I do it all in an OLD car. Ancient, in fact. Tyre places keep telling me they have trouble getting my tyre sizes any more.

I pay £75 a week in petrol to do all that. I fill up once and I'm done for the week. If my car falls apart, it cost me £350 (proof: My last car cost me £350. After 4 years of MOT passes, it fell apart last week - would probably cost about £500 to get it back on the road. I bought a newer replacement of the exact same model with better options for £350. I'm back on the road).

The problem with my car is - if you like - the CO2, use of petrol etc. It has no functional downsides.

The problem with the e-car is that it has a multitude of functional downsides, and can't compete on them.

And when you consider that for the price of the battery lease alone, I can get a petrol car leased to me, hire a a car, or for £15,000 I can buy an equivalent sized car and a few years worth of petrol, it's just not practical - yet again.

There's nothing stopping it being practical either. People would pay for a larger, smarter electric car with a longer range, especially if it means no more trips to the petrol station. There's no reason to have that thing as tiny as it is. There's no reason to skimp on the engine power. There's no reason not to put a larger battery in it.

Gimme an electric car that can do 450 miles. One that can seat 4 people comfortably. I don't care if it barely inches its way up to 70 so long as its legal. One that can recharge in a sensible time from a sensible adaptor without yet-more-costs shoved off to other budgets (quite how much would it cost to fit a new consumer unit + the charger + the leads etc. necessary by a certified electrical installer in, say, an old, ordinary house? What about people who live in flats/apartments/away from their private car park?). Take all that online junk off it and give me a basic car. Can you do it for less than a petrol car, or somewhere even remotely comparable?

Until you do, it's all just toys. I can drive a moped to work if I'm that worried about the CO2 I give off. It's the LEAST of everyone's worries when they buy a car.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.