back to article Here's the $4.99 utility that might just have saved Windows 8

Veteran software outfit Stardock has offered Microsoft an elegant way to escape its Windows 8 Metro Notro dilemma. With Windows 8, Redmond foisted a new and radical touchscreen-driven user interface on a desktop PC market that was already in a once-in-a-generation slump - and both consumer sales and enterprise interest have …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. MissingSecurity
    Devil

I find it a little funny

Without trying to start a GNOME interface debate, I find it funny that this functionality to make Windows 8 work is similar to my Fedora 17 Desktop functionality.

Not exactly eloquent, but but functional.

2. IGnatius T Foobar

Lipstick on a pig

Lipstick on a pig. 'nuff said.

3. M Gale

Something I have noticed.

The people who don't like the New Bullshit have varied and many reasons why. They will go into great detail about how and why Windows 8 is a step backwards from Windows 7, and how Metro really is an awful interface for a desktop, or even laptop machine. These are not people who are going on a knee jerk reaction. These are people who have tried Windows 8 and found it severely lacking. I'm not going to go into detail about it in this post myself, because I and everyone else have done it to death already.

These people then get set upon by a crowd of deranged fanboys who call them retarded, luddite, "MS Hater" (as if that's a bad thing) and various other personal insults, with a sneering, nasty and superior-minded attitude.

About the most convincing argument I've seen for Windows 8.. that is, an argument that doesn't involve telling me to enjoy anal sex with myself or comparing me to early French loom operators, is "it's okay once you 3rd-party-hack it all the way back to Windows 7".

You know, alternatively, I could just stick with Windows 7.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've used it for a couple of months now, and have had no real issues. Then again, I'm mainly a keyboard guy. I hardly ever see Notro, unless when searching and that goes fast. Will I be rolling it out to my users ? Hell no. But for me it's ok.

However... I got a nice little HP Elitepad, with all the trimmings, even with a dock with an ethernet port, vga out and 4 usb ports. Used it for 2 days, then dumped it on an unsuspecting victim. The touch interface was ok on the tablet, the desktop interface was ok when docked. The desktop in "tablet mode" was a horror to use, and there my main problem was : when opening a file in desktop mode, I don't want to see Notro. And vice versa : opening a pdf when using it as a tablet, I don't want a desktop app popping. So basically I don't need any third party app to get an old school start menu back, I'm pretty confident that I can work faster than most of the point-n-click brigade with a keyboard around. do want to be able to decide what the file type association should be when I'm in touch or in desktop mode.

So : Win 8 on the desktop, no issues, Win 8 on a tablet : I won't be replacing my iPad anytime soon.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sorry AO this won't get you your money back

All this Win8 hate from AO will not get Apples share price back to what it was when you exercised your awesome intellect and bought it at the peak of its bubble.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

6. CmdrX3
    Thumb Up

Another nice little utility

Windows 8 isn't that bad once you get shot of TIFKAM (which is that bad) for Start8. I actually did like some of the TIFKAM apps, and now this actually makes them usable. Stardock really need a new slogan and I have the perfect one for them "We unfuck what Microsoft fucked".

It's actually a decent enough OS and would have been better if Microsoft had listened to the several million people yelling TIFKAM sucks a sweaty one, get rid of it and mostly I don't have to bother with it at all now.

7. Matthew LaShure
    Megaphone

Here's the free tool

If you want a tool that works even better, and costs absolutely nothing, head over to SourceForge and check out the offering from ibeltchev

http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/

The program is called Classic Shell, and you can choose between 3 different types of Start Menu depending on what your favorite past time menu was to use.

8. Herby

Maybe the "feature" they need is...

...the option to NOT have Windows at all on the machine I buy.

Unfortunately, current conditions indicate that it is there even if I don't want it, and it isn't an option to remove it.

Thankfully, after I put my Fedora DVD in the slot, it makes a workable machine out of even the most modern hardware. It even allows me to have an alternate boot to the trashy side of the street if I so desire.

Life goes on.

9. WylieCoyoteUK
    Devil

android

Recently been experimenting with Android as a desktop.

Don't laugh, but it works better than TIFKAM.

Running on a 1.7Ghz dual core arm processor with 1gb memory, 40gb storage (expandable) HDMI> 1080p monitor, powered from the usb port on a TV. Watching iPlayer now, comes with an office suite.

Cost me less than £50

10. dannymot

Ran windows 8 on an htpc and a laptop and I hated it. Everything I wanted to do just took longer and I use too many different OS's to remember shortcuts to speed it up.

I tried classic shell and it didn't always disappear when it was meant to.

I tried Start8 and it worked better but the task bar didn't always close on full screen videos.

Then I backed up all my data and clean installed windows 7 on both again. It doesn't have the speed and nice tweaks that have been added under the hood to windows 8, but it runs all my apps and media well which has made everything so much quicker overall. Windows 7 re install all the way.

11. Robinson
    Meh

I like it.

I actually like Win 8. OK, I don't spend ANY time in Metro, except very occasionally when I have to search for something. But that's rare because all of my stuff is in shortcuts on my task bar (grouped). I've got about 120 items down there.

There are some things in desktop Win 8 that are quite nice, including the new task manager.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: I like it.

There are some things in desktop Win 8 that are quite nice, including the new task manager.

Yes, there are a lot of nice things. It boots faster, has many improvements "under the bonnet" and has quite a few useful tweaks to built-in utilities.

Then they ruined it by ripping out some useful features and cramming a tablet UI on the front.

It's like bringing out a new, faster Ferrari but insisting you cannot buy it in red, and steering now uses a lever.

Obviously you could take it to a paint shop and bolt on a steering wheel, but why should you need to?

12. Gil Grissum
    Thumb Up

Start8 ROCKS

First thing I did after installing Windows 8 is get Start8 for $4.99 to get the start button back. I'm rarely in Metro interface, but it's easy to escape and get back to the regular windows desktop with a start button.

13. Jeff Deacon
    Pint

How about we stop whinging ...

... and support ReactOS instead?

http://reactos.org/

Buy them a pint or something

14. Martin Maloney
    Linux

The end of XP?

Does anyone really believe that the average home user of XP will care about the end of XP support in April next year?

Will they even notice? After all, the end of XP support doesn't mean that XP will self destruct, Mr. Phelps.

Those fanbois who are dreaming that the end of XP support will start a stampede to Linux are just that -- dreaming.

(BTW, I'm not knocking Linux. I switched to Linux Mint four years ago. I just don't fantasize that "the year of the Linux desktop" will ever arrive.)

1. Michael Habel

Re: The end of XP?

Yes but your missing the point here. Microsoft don't have a massive popular OS going for them right now. As long as Microsoft had an XP to sell ya that was more or less universally loved, then yeah Linux didn't stand a chance. But, this current line of vitriol of hate that started with Vista. I just don't see an exit en-mass to Windows 8.

1. illiad

I remind you about the 5% who have any clue about the internals of windows... many are using xp due to win7 cost, and usually have only 1 or 2 pcs... much more are using win7 happily, due to network needs, driver support, etc.. try connecting your brand new smartphone to XP by usb, and you will see why... :)

I think it is the desperate drive by shops to get new stuff, to get more customers, that seems to have blinded them to the fact win8 is for *touchscreen* PC only... 'I see dumb people' indeed... duh, it must be better, is new...

1. Michael Habel

Never had a problem connecting my Galaxy S1 up to Windows XP it just worked.

To prove I'm not even a hatter, I'll have to confess if anything connecting the same Phone via the same Computer running Mint 14, Takes longer to sync up with the Desktop to the point where I thought it just crashed.

So ughh no... If Microsoft were to just cave in and continue to support XP forever, I think you'd find that most People would be happy with that. Cause XP continues to just work. And the things that don't work IE9 and 10 are just blocks placed there by Microsoft to try and get People to move along.

Once Microsoft kills off support for XP, as will Adobe, Mozilla (i.e. Firefox), et.al.

People will (or at least should catch the drift), that they need to update the OS if only to protect themselves from harm. When that day comes I will be installing Mint on the old mans Computer too.

Count on it!

2. IT veteran
      Thumb Up

Indeed - I fixed a Win98 box a few years ago. A few years before that, I was asked to look at a Windows 3 (yes, 3, not 3.1) box (I pursuaded them to buy a new PC!). 90% of home users only upgrade when they buy a new PC.

15. Stacy

I really don't get the problem...

I've used a couple of Windows 8 machines, and was that impressed I am currently getting everything together to upgrade my Windows 7 laptop.

Sure, the Metro works best with a touch screen - that is what it was designed for, and my next laptop will have a touch screen (as I found out from my Infinity the combination of keyboard, mouse and touch screen is hugely superior to just keyboard and mouse).

But even in it's current guise it works really quite well (in fact almost the same as Windows 7). you click the windows key and start typing the name of the app you want and 'ting' it's there for you. Where is the problem?

My only question on it, is whether you can make the task bar smaller and move it around as you could in Windows 7. I have tiny icons and the bar on the side as I prefer to lose some of the 1920 pixels than the 1080 pixels to it.

1. dotdan

Re: I really don't get the problem...

Yes, you can set the taskbar to show small icons, and yes, you can move it to the side in Windows 8 as you could in Windows 7.

With Start8 installed, Windows 8 is better than Windows 7 in my opinion. The tweaks improve it, Start8 can disable to charms and hotspots nonsense. I need see the silly Start screen only once when booting up the PC, thereafter sleeping/waking/normal use does not expose the Start screen or any of the Metro crap.

I also turned off the Windows 8 "lock screen", it looked nice, but with it enabled, I found my password was rejected more than 50% of the time because it took almost a second before keystrokes were recorded.

2. CreosoteChris

Re: I really don't get the problem...

Right-click - properties - Use Small Taskbar Buttons - works for me

Right-click - drag taskbar to side location - works for me

Possibly that's because I have Start8 installed, otherwise dunno.... HTH

16. jarjarbinks
    WTF?

Brilliant strategy actually

I am confused by so many articles and slams against Windows 8. I am a hardcore android smartphone and linux guy, but use Windows for some things, like games and audio/video stuff. I took advantage of the $40 upgrade price and updated a few computers, and frankly, it works/runs almost like Windows 7 with the UI overhaul. For anyone that's dealth with a fairly new phone or tablet, the new UI is not that hard to get used to. It's different, yes, but it's easy enough to work with for the most part.

What throws me off is all the bashing of Windows trying to throw apps in our face. I think that's the best thing they've done with this. They have the PC/laptop market owned for the most part, they have the console gaming market pretty solid (shared with Sony of course.. Wii U I don't count anymore), and they now have these tablets and phones. Sadly their surface tablets, as cool as they are, are too overpriced for the tablet market, even though they are trying to bridge the tablet and laptop market with them. BUT.. as far as providing a means for developers to provide apps to the desktop, laptop, tablet, phone and xbox.. all in the same interface? Why the heck wouldn't that make sense? It makes total sense for developers..they can now write apps that work on every type of device out there that MS provides for, and not have to write special code for each platform. Sure.. specific things like big PC games can't be written for the tablet/phone as well, but for useful apps and simple games like we have on android and apple.. makes sense completely.

17. Mr.Key
    WTF?

Upgraded my T420 from W7 to W8 by using an upgrade offer. Instead of getting stuck with a lots of troubles, I found it very comfortable to work with it. No problems with the Metro interface, actually I find it simple and clear, no problems at all. Even better - I like it. The Start menu? I don't miss it since I learned the new concept. Actually now the old Start menu on older PCs now seems, yes, old. Metro apps run on fullscreen only? Why do you call it a problem? I'm fine with that. I like that. The standard look and feel of the desktop is one key press away from the Metro and vice versa. Desktop is a much better W7, nothing radically new to learn. In short, confused about the amount of negative comments on W8.

PS Using Windows since 3.1, have used different Linux Desktops.

PPS Posting from IE10, which I also find OK.

18. Christian Berger

Missing the point

If you like Metro/Modern/whatever you install Windows 8, if you don't there are literally hundreds of alternatives. You can choose between dozens of multiple GUIs even on the Windows platform, plus you can switch to lots of other platforms. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

And if Microsoft wanted to do Windows 8 differently, they would have done so.

19. --

Before I started using I thought of the same as described in the text and how it would be better.

Now, I am using Windows 8 for 2 months and I must say, it would be a huuuuge annoyance to have these apps windowed.

I find it much more comforting to have to focus on only 1-2 apps at the time, instead of the 7 screens you have open. I find it much easier to do anything. When in the desktop environment I have at least 5-6 windows open, multiple Explorer windows etc. etc. and it is a huge annoyance to have them all on your desktop and you'll lose sight of everything really quickly, and mainly that is something that I am really loving about Metro.

20. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Kudos to Stardock, LOLs to Microcsoft

"I'm running Windows 8 on an old Dell AMD box with 4GB of RAM and a 5400RPM 2.5" HDD, and I don't see that kind of lag."

Oxymoron. If you have a system with 4GB of RAM in it, it's not all that old. Moore's law is truly Microsoft's best friend.

Anyway... As with Robert E A Harvey, I'm more amused by this than anything, I'm 100% Linux, and things like Windows 8 make me ever so glad of this.

That said, if I could buy StarDock stock I would. Microsoft shows their massive, overpowing egotism by making Windows 8 forceable boot into the Metro interface, and by taking away the user's choice (i.e. by not allowing traditional and metro apps on whichever desktop the user chooses.) StarDock has made improved shells for Windows for quite a while, kudos for them for continuing that tradition and I wish them the best.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Kudos to Stardock, LOLs to Microcsoft

" If you have a system with 4GB of RAM in it, it's not all that old."

My laptop has 4gb and is three years old; the only other systems I have (including a dozen work computers used for things from email to dev) with 4GB of less are three years old if they're a day. My laptop included. And I don't buy terribly high end stuff usually. I literally can't remember when I could go into Best Buy and find a machine with less than six - probably since before Vista showed up and x64 started becoming the default.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All in all..

.. it seems it was a wise decision to stop using Windows altogether.

No need for "fix this-and-that screwup" utilities, cheaper software, more stable platform, retained usability - the list of benefits is getting longer and longer by the day. Well done Ballmer..

22. keith.nicholas
    Thumb Up

Well, at least someone will be loving win8 to bits

The people at stardock !

What gets me, is microsoft went out of their way to get as much feedback as possible for win8, then completely ignored it and told us we will get used to it. I think they wanted us all to go "OOOOOOOOOO, its amazing", and when we didn't do that they just flipped the bozo bit on us and treated us like ignorant kids that will just have to learn new ways.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Well, at least someone will be loving win8 to bits

Of course, if they'd taken the advice of the average customer (including mine!) before doing a GUI at all, they would never have done it. I was a died-in-the-wool commandline guy - but I didn't foresee the changes in hardware quality and the potential of a GUI environment until later.

Sometimes customers actually -don't- know what they want.

That said, if you're sure of the direction you're going in, and you think people might not accept it quickly, it probably is a good idea not to ask them all what they want first...

23. JeffyPooh
    Pint

Stupidity has a radius

Stupidity has a radius, on the order of 5m. You need to stay about this far away from Stupid or you'll get dragged into its vortex. Try going out for a night on the town with a drunk moron to see where you end up - jail, hospital, morgue...

Windows 8 is stupid. The people behind it are stupid. It's a very stupid concept for a PC. It might not be so stupid on a tablet, but having two versions in one name is stupid. Stupid. Stay away.

I would have bought a new PC about now if MS hadn't ruined it.

24. Kurt 4
    Windows

They actually thought it was a good idea to take the Windows out of Windows?

25. IT veteran

Thoughts on Windows 8

I have been using Windows 8 since it was RTM, and I'm very meh about the Metro interface. I can see what MS are trying to do, but it is clunky and annoying. When you have to google how to get out of a Metro app, you know you are in trouble. But it IS much faster to boot and doesn't seem to have problems sleeping my PC, as Windows 7 did.

I recently installed Start Menu 8, and will probably try Classic Shell now.

One thing that no one seems to have mentioned/noticed - Windows 8 is the first version of Windows to have Anti-Virus installed by default (Windows Defender now has AV integrated). Not that I use it ;-).

Interestingly, IIRC, Defender has not been Metroised.

26. Chris Walsh
    Thumb Up

Stardock get my seal of approval

I've never been one for installing loads of gimmicky UI-enhancers but I have been using StarDock Fences for at least a couple of years now and was well worth the purchase.

I've not used Win8 in a production environment yet but as a developer I can't imaging TIFKAM being a benefit to me and more likely a hinderence. I suspect if/when I choose move to Win8 StarDock may be a no-brainer for me.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Metro on a desktop.

I really don't notice it, most of the animated wibbly things on that weird start menu just get uninstalled and it ends up a screen full of buttons for launching apps.

I don't have a problem with it at all.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like