Feeds

back to article LibreOffice 4.0 ships with new features, better looks

The Document Foundation has announced LibreOffice 4.0, the latest version of the free software competitor to Microsoft Office that spun off from the OpenOffice.org effort in 2010, describing it as nothing less than "the free office suite the community has been dreaming of since 2001." "LibreOffice 4.0 is the first release that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Mushroom

Re: Am I the only one who likes the Ribbon interface?

Anyone who can't use the keyboard shortcuts to operate MS office doesn't deserve to be called competent in using any version of office, period.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Am I the only one who likes the Ribbon interface?

some of us are paid by the hour.

keyboard shortcuts? What are they?

Anonymous Coward

It's a pretty sophisticated editor

that's about all I got to say. There's no need for a paid office suite and this thing just gets better as people add to it with problems they face and overcome with solutions.

The battle vs Microsoft office is already won. It's just that we do not control the fake commercial media.

The more MS pushes people to rent their software

The more people will realise what a stupid idea that is and move to something they can actually own.

Bronze badge
Mushroom

Re: The more MS pushes people to rent their software

Just like how unpopular car leasing isnt?

Silver badge

No, like how unpopular cheese leasing is.

JDX
Gold badge

So you admit you can't come up with a good counter argument then? You eat cheese and it's gone... you use software and it's still there.

Most of the world's software is going service-based implicitly simply by going web-based after all... gmail, dropbox, Jira, github, etc - the question is only if you pay for them or not.

Silver badge
Happy

No, I can come up with plenty of counter arguments thanks. I was merely pointing out that while car leasing is successful that doesn't really bear any relevance on the discussion. If the fact cheese gets eaten negates this argument please feel free to substitute any of the other things that aren't normally leased for the cheese. There are plenty to pick from. Everything except cars really.....

Silver badge
Stop

If you want an analogy, renting Office is like renting a set of shelves and fixing them up in your house, it's a bit silly.

Dropbox, gmail, github, Jira, and so on offer one or a combination of sharing, collaboration, and online storage. You use basic services for free or pay for enhanced services and when you're finished you can take your ball and go home. Bolting these services on to Office for home users as an excuse to charge them rent that is nonsensical. Office needs sharing, collaboration and online storage as much as Photoshop or Notepad do.

Ensentially Office is finished (as in completed) and Microsoft has been unable to develop other new products or enter new markets to bring in the cash so they're leaning on the only two crutches they know (Office and Windows). After spending a couple of versions flailing around with Office's UI, file formats, and licensing conditions as justification for making customers go out and get the latest version, Microsoft finally come out and admit that it's about making their customers rent their software.

Home users can get by fine with Office 2003, 2000 or dare I say 97. If MS carry on down this path it's probable that within a couple of years you'll only be able to rent Office from Microsoft, at least in the west. Imagine if this were the only option in 2003 and imagine how much it'd have costed home users to rent Office for the last ten years, all because they wanted to do their home finances in Excel and write a couple of letters a month.

MS does need paying for its software but average users don't have to upgrade to every new version. However everything else they try has failed which is why they're reduced to renting Office instead of selling it.

Anonymous Coward

If I lease a car and return it, every journey I made in it doesn't suddenly cease to have happened unless I lease a new car from the same company.

Silver badge
Devil

Renting MS software is like renting a condom.

Meh

@ribosome If you cease to subscribe to Office, all your docs still exist you just can't use Office to edit them. If you believed any different, you scare me.

Anonymous Coward

... but much less fun!

Bronze badge
Mushroom

https://www.alliance-leicestercommercialbank.co.uk/bizguides/full/cheesemaker/parkes-lease.asp

Bronze badge
Mushroom

Like renting a CONDO, yes.

Silver badge
Facepalm

Nah, if I rented a condom I wouldn't expect it to be so full of holes.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Bronze badge
Linux

Re: LIbre Office good, MS Office is dying.

Like I did yesterday. Create some docs in Libre Office*, export to PDF and then print at work (locked down windows network) via memory stick or email.

No problems, no need for MS products here.

*On a Kubuntu box

Silver badge

I hope paper based office in general is dying. You have to congratulate them on their efforts but its a long climb up the wrong evolutionary branch of IT.

I don’t want documents with data badly encrypted inside them, I don’t want a pdf document of an order/receipt/BOM/(almost any piece of useful inter-company communication) when an XML/JSON of the same is fantastically smaller and almost infinitely more useful to me and the other end.

Good paperwork is really easy to prepare from good data but good data is almost impossible to create from pretty paperwork.

Anonymous Coward

And what happens when you or someone else wants to edit those files?

LO might be OK for a single user, but for collaborative work where many people are editing the same .doc file, some using Word, it's a compatibilty nightmare.

Happy

If they are still editing .doc files then odds are they have not gotten past Office 2003.

Wonder if they just don't like the ribbon - in which case introduce them to LO.

Simples!

Bronze badge
Thumb Down

@Eadon

"If you use a closed MS format then it's a nightmare whatever you do.."

So why are you advocating the closed Adobe PDF format?

This post has been deleted by its author

JDX
Gold badge

>>if you use a closed MS format...

Um, unless you're still using .doc it's not closed.

Hard to see the Linux community liking the "use LO because of PDF" argument either. They hate PDF too.

Anonymous Coward

Um, unless you're still using .doc it's not closed

I hope you aren't referring to MS OOXML as "open"...

Worth taking a look at Rob Weir's site to see where we are with that..

OOXML is only an ISO standard because the voting process was blatantly rigged, not because it actually properly complies with the aspects of a proper open standard. It served more to demonstrate both the fragility of the ISO voting process by academics and the absolute lack of morals and desinterest in any collateral damage of their actions by Microsoft.

This post has been deleted by its author

Bronze badge
Windows

Um, unless you're still using .doc it's not closed.

The .docx format is open in the sense that it is published ... but the published definition might as well be encrypted for all the chance there is that anyone will ever understand it (including those who wrote it).

The thing's just not fit for purpose.

Anonymous Coward

Nice FUD from 5/6 years ago, but OOXML is now proven and is open.

Anonymous Coward

OOXML is now proven and is open

Proven: only to be deficient: many questions are still outstanding

Open: only if Microsoft would actually use it themselves, over which there are many, many questions.

You may want to pay more attention to publicly reported facts, and less to Microsoft marketing.

Bronze badge

Re: LIbre Office good, MS Office is dying. RE: collaborative work

>collaborative work where many people are editing the same .doc file, some using Word, it's a compatibilty nightmare.

It's a compatibility nightmare regardless of product used - even if all are using the same version of Word and document template. They all have differing ideas about layout and formatting...

Bronze badge

Re: LIbre Office good, MS Office is dying. Cynical Observer

>If they are still editing .doc files then odds are they have not gotten past Office 2003.

No this is a (relatively) safe interchange/collaboration format ie. you had a reasonable chance that standard (IT department) installs of all active versions of Word (Windows & Mac versions) along with third-party products like OOO can open these files and that the contributor on completion will just save and hence return the updated document in this format.

Yes the world is slowly moving on and so other, more open, formats are becoming more widely supported. However as always everything, in business is done in hurry and so it is easier to set Office to default save to 97/2000/2003 than to have to worry about it for specific projects. What grates with me is that having this as my default document save setting, Word 2007 still uses features that aren't supported and only tells me this at time of document save...

Bronze badge

Re: LIbre Office good, MS Office is dying. Re the closed Adobe PDF format

Because it isn't closed!

Documents produced in Adobe Acrobat will support the closed version of PDF, however practically everyone else just uses the ISO compliant PDF archive standard.

The problem I've found with PDF is that not all readers are equal and that it is best to have Adobe reader installed, just to be sure what you see is what the originator intended. Which does slightly defeat it's intent.

Still some niggles

I've been using Release Candidates of LO4 for a while courtesy of Mageia and it's pretty good. Annoyingly they haven't fixed my pet peeve which dates back to the days of StarOffice; the 'recently used files' list is global across all applications rather than having a separate list for each. So if I go browsing through documents looking for something, my frequently-used spreadsheets disappear off the bottom of the list and I have to look for them manually.

Headline touts 'Better looks'

Might have been an idea to have included a screenshot. Even the LO web doesn't include a screenshot, pictures of people and some icons but nothing of the product. Suggests to me there's not a lot of confidence in the UI.

JDX
Gold badge

Party like it's 2007

Only 6 years later, you're supporting 2007 doc format properly?

I might try it out - the utter failure to maintain formatting/styling in .docx files is the reason all my attempts to use OO in the past ended quickly.

Gold badge

Re: Party like it's 2007

"Only 6 years later, you're supporting 2007 doc format properly?"

Yup, maybe Microsoft will catch up some day and support the 2007 format properly, too, but I'm not holding my breath.

I assume you've never tried to use the 2007 compatibility pack to view or edit DOCX stuff in an older version of Office. Even Microsoft don't claim this works. The converter comes with a list of all the stuff that gets broken.

Yes, life *is* easier if everyone else agrees to buy the same software package that you use and agrees to upgrade when you do. Meanwhile back in the real world, even Microsoft aren't sufficiently compatible to let a group of people jointly author a document with different versions of Office. Why should LO (or OO) be judged by a standard that MS don't meet?

JDX
Gold badge

>>Why should LO (or OO) be judged by a standard that MS don't meet?

Because they are the ones trying to steal market share, not hold onto it. If you want to win MS users you need to make the transition absolutely super slick.

If LO's main goal is to win users from MS (is it?) then 100% perfect support for MS docs should be their absolute #1 priority. Otherwise it doesn't matter how good LO is, people won't switch.

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Eadon,

not that I am a fan of yours, but I had to upvote you for this.

The MS assault on ISO is well documented and an appalling stain on their otherwise very dirty reputation.

Bronze badge
FAIL

EADON FAIL

"Compatibility Mode" is simply a mode whereby the new features are turned off and the software "acts" like the previous version in order to MAINTAIN compatibility.

JDX
Gold badge

@Eadon... all the Office files I work with work fine in Office. Every SINGLE time I've tested in OO, it's been useless. Note, I have tested more than once, just tried for 2min once so I could bitch about it for the next N years.

When I send contracts to people who use OO, they send back signed copies with an apology that OO messed it up a bit.

From someone who has actually used both... OO fail.

Mushroom

Just upgraded on my work laptop OpenSUSE 12.2

Seems fine to me, (Im no power user btw) both suites offer great functionality its just when you start trying to jump between them you see problems.

MS just makes it harder for everyone else by changing the ppt, pptx, doc, docx blah blah blah every year! So its hard to use both which i do in my Office. I sent a ppt file to a MS Office user and they just sent it straight back saying it was broken i opened it in a virtual machine and it was a mess. This isn’t Libre Offices fault in my opinion. Its MS stupid proprietary formats. ODT should be used then you can choose to use whatever suite you want without any problems!

Anonymous Coward

Re: Just upgraded on my work laptop OpenSUSE 12.2

So that your crappy freeware can't create a file properly is Microsoft's fault?!

Happy

Says the MS employee, why the anon? Your name ballmer?

An open standard means it should be an open standard. MS fecking with it breaks the rules of being an open standard. That is the fault of Microsoft.

Loving Libre office on my linux mint, not had any problems opening the docx files, but looking forward to the latest release when I get it.

Happy

@AC Really that is all you have to contribute? Jesus these comments are grim sometimes.

@Avatar of they - Yes Docx seems to be ok, its power points that go off their nut when you change suite. Something that wont change so i guess you have deal with it, unless companies realise they can use libre office for nothing (or supported)and save a lot of money.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.