back to article The Register: Our all-new app now available for Android

You can now nip down to the Google Play store and bag yourself our new Android App. This version adds offline reading capabilities and comments! Oh. Nice This is a new release, not an update. So those of that you that have the older version, we're sorry: it won’t automatically upgrade. We're also sorry it took longer than …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Phew!

Does El Reg ever read user reviews on Google Play? This app has the stinkiest I've ever seen - bar chart all 1s. Time to pull it and fire the developer I'd say.

Gold badge
Facepalm

Font size.

Having an adjustable font size for reading - 10/10

Not having that adjustment apply to the text in the article list, so you still can't see which article you'd like to read - 0/10

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Silver badge

the update doesnt do anything better

I just recieved an update from Google play. Installed it and prayed, same problems....

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: the update doesnt do anything better

What are you running it on Khaptain?

Pint

I'm not saying that apps can't be nice but..

Am I alone in thinking that (maybe) a week of playing with the @media selector and a handful of tablets and phones for testing (or simply resizing the browser window) and the app would be made entirely unnecessary? I mean, yes, on some sites the layout is hopeless, but this is the reg, the basic page design is a natural for simple CSS restyling.

Or I suppose you could make an app. Hey it's not my money. It's certainly more *fun* to make an app. Although in that case I'd be inclined to include some fun third-party frameworks with flashy transitions etc.

Trollface

Will there be a Symbian version for my old Nokia N8?

Actually, one point I'd make about the mobile website is that it displays articles as a single page even when the desktop version has them split up into individual pages. Deliberate decision, a bug with the CMS or something else?

Err

Whatever it is they should leave it that way, it's the best way. I like the mobile site. The app is junk. The developers of the app are a joke. Writing an RSS reader on Android is easy, writing one for a single specific feed should be an order of magnitude easier.

Trollface

Ironic

Register, an IT site that (righty) bangs on about Government wasting Billions on big software projects.

Left a bit..........up a bit............foot in sights......shoot.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums