back to article Samsung mocks Apple lawsuit in SuperBowl teaser ad

Samsung has released a star-studded teaser video for its ad that will run during this Sunday's SuperBowl "El Plato Supremé", a clip that mocks patent and copyright litigation – and, by extension, its long-running adversary, Apple. In the video, funnymen Bob Odenkirk, Seth Rogen, and Paul Rudd are seen discussing ad ideas for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Woosh

You mean 'when' Samsung drop the ball you will buy another Android handset - that's fine - but it does make Samsungs position more precarious.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

So if the next iPhone is utter rubbish

You'll still buy it anyway?

If Apple roll a turd in glitter and put it in an "iPad N" box, you'd buy that as well?

I doubt it, yet that's your argument here.

1. droolian01

Re: So if the next iPhone is utter rubbish

I'm afraid that most probably would.....

Correction.... I think iP5 owners aleady have!

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

That's a bit like saying that the sun would not rise tomorrow. Apple can pick and choose the best components - why should it not be able to continue to make some of the best phones. iOS is the killer selling point for iPhones and iPads - better security and more / better apps. Developers know this and developers make most of their cash on iDevices so see far less risk.

Look at the malware stats for Android - it's absolutely shocking - that alone would put me off Android.

1. PrivateCitizen
              WTF?

That's a bit like saying that the sun would not rise tomorrow.

So why do you assume Samsung will drop the ball and alienate customers more than Apple will? Apple can pick and choose the best components, but Samsung make most of the best ones anyway.

You are trying to argue two opposing points here - which is a bit strange.

Samsung & Android users in general are a bit more honest in saying that when they change devices, they will go with the one that best suits them at the time.

Apple users (you in a zillion AC guises) seem to say "we are brand loyal" but that this means you will still go with the best device, just that you assume it will automatically be an iShiny.

The fact is when it comes to upgrade time, people will almost always look to the newer version of the thing they have - Nokia relied on this for decades - and only if that is below par will they look elsewhere. Samsung or Apple, iOS or Android.

Brand loyalty is a problem when the customer ignores the mediocre latest release (iPhone 5) and still buys it because its the BRAND they want. However you seem to think that is a good thing.

Look at the malware stats for Android - it's absolutely shocking - that alone would put me off Android.

I thought you were trying to make this about Samsung, not Android in general? Try to be at least a bit consistent.

2. PrivateCitizen

You mean 'when' Samsung drop the ball you will buy another Android handset - that's fine - but it does make Samsungs position more precarious.

As is should be.

Blind fanboi loyalty to crap products is counterproductive for everyone.

If Apple fans were more able to move around, then maybe we would see a return to the groundbreaking improvements of the early iPhones. The difference between a 3GS and a 5 is pretty pitiful.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

3GS to 5 - what do you expect. Is a bigger screen on a Samsung some major GROUNDBREAKING improvement - or a stylus = joke - unless you mean jumping back in time 5+ years.

These are phones - they pack in a huge amount of tech but in reality what are you expecting other than changes in form factor. They have great cameras, super fast CPUs and quite a lot of storage.

It's really got to the point where most has already been done - i.e. if you want more battery life you need a bigger battery - they may make slightly better batteries and slightly more efficient components but if a current phone lasts 1 day - to get say 3 days is going to mean a bigger battery / device.

They have retina screens - see little point in going more. They have LTE - yes you may tinker with the frequencies but until LTE is commonplace it's the best we have.

So with all these phones expect faster CPUs, different sized and shaped screens, high megapixel cameras etc. - expect we might see fingerprint authentication on the next iPhones but what do people expect from a phone?

1. PrivateCitizen
              Thumb Down

Dear AC @ 1602

3GS to 5 - what do you expect.

Something to justify the change.

What you are basically saying here is the same as I have said - the iPhone 3GS was a good enough device for anyone wanting to use an iOS phone and there is no point them ever upgrading again.

I bet that is exactly what Apple want to hear and it is a great way to justify spending a few hundred quid every 12 / 24 months.

2. CarlC

And just to illustrate PrivateCitizen's point:

I got myself an ASUS tablet (running Android) in the middle of last year - it is a great, fast device and it has all the apps I need (from the Google App Store). However, I was lucky enough to get to try a Samsung Note 10.1 table (also Android) and loved the USP of the SPen apps.

So I purchased a Samsung Note 10.1 and took all my apps and data with me in one easy move.

If ASUS make a better (in my opinion) tablet later I may switch back. Not great for ASUS or Samsung unless they commit to improving their devices to give me what I want (and in ASUS's case win me back), but it is excellent for me and for consumers in general

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Very funny

Yeah, it's hilarious watching a me-too Korean knock-off company taking the piss out of a company who innovates.

I'm wondering when Reg readers will suddenly change from being Apple-bashers to Samsung-bashers? Microsoft had their time in the spotlight as the whipping boy, now Apple. Is it Samsung's turn next? Or maybe Google?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Very funny

Yeah, it's hilarious watching a me-too Korean knock-off company taking the piss out of a company who innovates.

Who is that then?

What innovations are there in the iPhone 6 or iPad mini?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"What innovations are there in the iPhone 6 ..."

No one outside HW engineering at Apple knows, moron.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

So either "none" or the exact same number as there are in the S3, HTC One and so on.

Thanks for the clarification.

2. Van

Apple havn't invented anything, not even the first computer (for which the ran ads having a dig at IBM)

3. droolian01
      FAIL

"Yeah, it's hilarious watching a me-too Korean knock-off company taking the piss out of a company who innovates."

Watch and weep, ifool

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=wFeC25BM9E0&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DwFeC25BM9E0&gl=GB

Sent from my splendid S3.

2. Mage Silver badge
    FAIL

Title and Post Very funny

Me too knock off?

Apple: Glossy slick products: The list would fit in the Title and ALL are an Apple Gloss on Prior Art. Apple didn't invent GUI. laptop, Solid State Media player, Tablet or Smart phone. They did do them well.

You could fill the limit of the Post with Products that Samsung innovated and invented in every area of Electronics and many Electrical and Mechanical. They are like today what RCA, Motorola, Edison and Westinghouse were in a previous age, all rolled into one. Everything from Diggers to BD players and TVs.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Title and Post Very funny

And all at low single digit margins.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Its true - look at Samsungs margins ex-mobile.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Samsung were making decent components for Apple to put together into a great phone - but they got greedy.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Is there an English translation for this post?

3. dogged

@diodesign

Hey Chris,

are all these AC's the same person?

1. Notas Badoff
      Unhappy

Re: @diodesign

Since a couple dozen plus plus of these replies all read the same - exactly the same - it has got to be the same person. Being wrong in double digits makes it somehow a _better_ wrong?

Dude, substitute one car manufacturer for Apple and another for Samsung. Reread. If you don't sound obsessively stupid to yourself, then you really shouldn't get involved in discussions regarding the real world.

Can we please have 'avatar' icons for ACs so we can tell when someone's gone off their meds?

2. PrivateCitizen

Re: @diodesign

Hey Chris,

are all these AC's the same person?

It seems likely.

Either that or a lot of people like to post very similar sentences in quick succession rather than make them all one post.....

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Samsung make fridges like many other people, make TVs like many others, make everything like many others - even phones. There is nothing special about their stuff - it's ok but functional and you buy a Samsung today and you may but a Samsung whatever next time but no real compelling reason.

They are happy selling a box today and banking the cash but it's not really long term - they sell an Android phone and pass you on to Google for future revenue.

1. hplasm
      Meh

Your point?

There's nothing special about Apple stuff either- except the price.

1. VinceH
        Trollface

Re: Your point?

Applytes are quite "special", though.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Frumious Bandersnatch

Re: Your point?

Applytes are quite "special", though.

I used to have an Apple, but it fell in the shitter. I used to feel special. Nowadays I'm just another applostate with an Android phone ... and loving it!

2. Frumious Bandersnatch

Samsung make fridges like many other people, make TVs like many others, make everything like many others - even phones. There is nothing special about their stuff - it's ok but functional and you buy a Samsung today and you may but a Samsung whatever next time but no real compelling reason.

They are happy selling a box today and banking the cash but it's not really long term - they sell an Android phone and pass you on to Google for future revenue.

According to the recent article here Samsung started "in 1938 as a company selling dried fish and vegetables, and moved into electronics in the late 1960s". OK, maybe the dried fish and vegetables were only "functional" and there was no real compelling reason to buy Samsung dried fish and vegetables the next time.

But consider that they're now one of the top companies in Korea (if not the top, judging by the fact that their top man is the richest guy in the country). Do you really think that the sort of business minds that brought the company from such lowly beginnings doesn't have long-term aspirations? Do you really think that they don't care about, eg, their Galaxy range, and that they'll happily "pass you on to Google for future revenue"?

Could you imagine Bill Gates or Steve Jobs having that attitude? Is it even conceivable that Samsung won't do all it can to keep and expand its customer base?

Finally, one non-rhetorical question: is it possible that Apple pays people to pollute discussions like this with drivel like yours? Absolutely.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Do you really think that they don't care about, eg, their Galaxy range, and that they'll happily "pass you on to Google for future revenue"?"

I'd imagine they 'care' but I'd imagine they can do little about it. They are stuck - move away from Android to their own or another platform and it risks their future business but don't do it and they end up YAAM (yet another Android maker) in a market with downward pressure on price and nothing that makes them unique.

They use the galaxy name on everything - galaxy cameras - so much it's meaningless. Galaxy fridge, galaxy microwave?

1. Mystic Megabyte
          Black Helicopters

You do realise that your Apple TV is spying on you?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Google is spying on you. I'd be more worried about Google - a company that essentially makes money by selling access to you (mining your data etc.). They give Android away as they were terrified iPhone would walk away with the market.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Evil Goooooogle

Google is spying on you. I'd be more worried about Google - a company that essentially makes money by selling access to you (mining your data etc.). They give Android away as they were terrified iPhone would walk away with the market.

Do you think your iShiny is protection against google? Google Maps, Gmail built in clients, Google Docs.....

5. Thatbloke

Samsung reputable?

Not sure I'd want to buy anything more complex than a fridge from Samsung or LG. They've bought market share by being cheap and by offering handsets and tablets to the telecoms crowd at low, low prices. Their dominance is all the more sad when you look at the relatively poor performance of more reputable companies like (in terms of customer service and legacy support) MS, HP, RIM and Nokia - all of whom could have made a good play if they'd been quicker to see where the smartphone market was heading.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reminds me of professional power tools...

Panasonic, hitachi, bosch, dewalt, makita etc.. all churn out the same products in the same price range to the same market and all enjoy their individual few years as top dog. Fact of the matter is once someone has invested in one standout product they continue with the brand for compatibility's sake only. Release a single product that is a clear winner and you can get a generation of new buyers tied in to your brand... Apple had (maybe still have?) this but it won't last forever - think Nokia, Motorola, Rim - due to inevitable overpricing, stagnation and complacency. Maybe Samsung is ready for their 15 minutes?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Reminds me of professional power tools...

Reckon they are already well past the 10 minute mark as can't really imagine people buying another Samsung when their contracts are up in 18-24 months. Things could change very quickly for Samsung as now 'mobile' are their own large customer for many divisions and they have no ongoing revenue opportunity. Google do not want any one manufacturer to be too dominant and they will want to cash in on their own brand - Motorola.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

can't really imagine people buying another Samsung when their contracts are up in 18-24 months.

Your lack of imagination is the problem not reality.

Large numbers of people went from the S2 to the S3.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Large numbers of people went from the S2 to the S3."

No one is denying that - the issue is that will only happen if the S3 is the best / equivalently prices Android handset - if Motorola had the best Android handset at that price the S3 sales would have suffered.

This is GOOD for Android users - the issue I was making is that it's BAD for Samsung - they have nothing unique or special about their handsets and therefore much less loyalty.

Apple in one way forces loyalty in that they are the only maker of iOS devices but it's whether that bothers you but they also generate loyalty in having beautifully designed devices, devices that are typically more secure, perform well, reward developers (more) and with overall better service and support.

I'm not going to win over and die hard Android users (and that's not the point) - it's just to show that Samsungs position is more precarious than Apple's. Apple could come out with a cheaper phone or different screen sizes - it's an option for them - they did it with the iPad - the '5' was a fairly minor change but we could see a iPhablet - but you are still an Apple customer.

To me the risk to Apple is by not offering more choice - i.e. someone may really want a phablet so ends up buying a Note 2 etc.

1. PrivateCitizen

@AC 0741

Isnt this the whole point of most of the objections about Apple's ecosystem?

I agree that Samsung have to work bloody hard to keep sales, but the alternative is a bad thing for everyone (including Samsung in the long term).

All Apple releases have been pretty minor for years now (iPad 2 and iPhone 3GS were the biggies IMHO, others may well think differently) and this is largely because they have a loyal customer base which removes their drive to really innovate.

You may think this is good for the company but it isn't. It opens up the possibility that a new player can appear and suddenly shift lots of products in a way Apple havent anticipated (and I am not necessarily saying Samsung - or anyone - has done this yet) and if Apple is unable to innovate quickly enough it suffers (again, say Hi to Nokia).

Over the last three years, Apple has gone from being an uncontested leader in the smartphone and tablet space to actually following the direction taken by other companies (iPad mini for example). This does not spell doom and gloom for Apple but it shows what happens when a company relies on customer loyalty.

It is much better for the market, for the industry, for customers, for everything even, if manufacturers are forced to keep producing good stuff if they want to retain customers.

At a fundamental level, there is as much unique and special about the S3 as there is an iPhone 5. There are apps to do the same things (frequently the same apps) on both Android and iOS - gmail and google docs works on both... - for the average user Android is secure enough for their activities (even the US Government has a hardened version of android for the ultra paranoid).

This more or less leaves the "Beauty" of the design and the price. There is no point me arguing over which is nicer looking between the S3 and iPhone5 as it is very much a personal choice, but the lawsuits seem to imply they are similar now.

So its down to price. Apple would be actually insane to try and compete on price because it's main selling point is the "prestige" value where is allows the owner to show the world how rich s/he is. This is a bit diluted by the fact it seems like world + dog at the benefit office seems to have an iPhone, but it is still the strongest aspect to the Apple brand.

7. croc

How to tell if an ad was worth the money spent...

Watch the ad. Ten minutes later, see if you can remember the ad. Now see if you can remember who the ad was for.

1. Doogie1

Re: How to tell if an ad was worth the money spent...

Not sure I agree with that. I remember the Go Compare adverts but they don't make me want to use them. I don't agree with mindless brand loyalty so selling a brand doesn't work for me either. The barista advert was very clever but this doesn't come close.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

When I hear 'Samsung' I just think of pretty average 'white goods' and 'Galaxy' makes me think of chocolate - this ad does not change that.

I have a Samsung fridge - it works but if it needed replacing I would not necessarily buy another Samsung. My iPad on the other hand - I've tried various other tablets but still prefer it - just works, reliable, Apple support is great - Samsung support on a phone I had stunk. That's all I have to compare it with.

How many Samsung phone / tablet owners reading this could genuinely say YES I would definitely buy another Samsung next time? That's not a 'would you buy Android' it's would you definitely buy Samsung. I actually think Motorola is a better make and if there were two equivalent tablets from Samsung and Motorola I'd buy Motorola.

1. PrivateCitizen
          Stop

Apple support is great

What did you have to ring them for if the device is reliable and just works?

How many Samsung phone / tablet owners reading this could genuinely say YES I would definitely buy another Samsung next time?

It is a misleading question based on your flitting between Android and Samsung in an effort to spread confusion.

Every Samsung phone user I knows likes it and will give Samsung first shot at a future upgrade. If something amazing happens and Samsung brings out a dog, they will either skip the upgrade or change brands.

Do you think Apple owners are so sheep like they will upgrade to a crap device just to stay with Apple or do you think they will do the same?

The S2 was a better phone than the iPhone 3GS (the last iOS phone I had) by an order of magnitude and the Asus eeepad is a better tablet than the iPad 1 or 2.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Apple support is great

What did you have to ring them for if the device is reliable and just works?"

If you sell enough you will get some problems / faults. Here is an example - I dropped my iPhone from head height onto block paving - was expect the screen to be cracked or something - no. Slight chip in the edge and seems the camera got slightly dislodged.

Booked an appointment with Apple - went to the store - walked out 20 minutes later with a new camera fitted. That is good service.

Friend has a Samsung - it developed a fault and kept rebooting randomly but many times per day. Did all the updates etc. - called Samsung - after several calls and well over an hour wasted on the phone they reluctantly agreed to have it back for repair. He sent it back - bye bye for 3 weeks = not happy. Then they sent him back a refurb = even less happy. That is poor service.

If they were going to refurb it anyway they could at least have turned it around quicker!

1. PrivateCitizen
              Stop

If you sell enough you will get some problems / faults.

No one is disputing that.

Friend has a Samsung - it developed a fault and kept rebooting randomly but many times per day.

A friend of mine had an S3 which developed camera problems - it was refusing to take pictures. He had a short call with Samsung tech support and picked up a new phone the next day. All docs, data and apps were sync'd over seamlessly.

YMMV.

8. croc
    Paris Hilton

Apple owner? Sucks to be you....

Having all your friends laugh at you for your screwed-up maps, your lack-of-bonkiness... Even worse, you'll have to spend big time bikkies to once again be part of the new hipster group.

But you had your day in the sun, eh? Struttin' your stuff, waving that fruit bar all over everyone's face. Maybe you should grow a mullet... Yeah, that's the ticket!

<-- 'Cause she knows the price of becoming outmoded...

1. Doogie1
      Joke

Re: Apple owner? Sucks to be you....

Is that just Apple owners or owners of all fruits?

You sound quite grumpy. Have you had someone "wave their fruit bar all over your face".

9. Corinne

Am I the only person..

... who didn't immediately think of all the Apple/Samsung arguments, but instead remembered the clamp down in the run up to the Olympics of any use of the word "Olympic" by any shops in the area?

1. danny_0x98

Re: Am I the only person..

I didn't think of it because I'm here in Los Angeles, but that is exactly similar to what the NFL does regarding their game.

Which reminds me, the attorney supposedly doesn't know who might sue them when the owners of the trade mark, the only ones whose ip rights could be infringed, is well known. Could Samsung's real attorneys have told its real ad agency that suggesting the NFL is very thorough in enforcing its trade marks possibly defamatory? Or, is the (US) football league's name also a trade mark and out of bounds?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like