Feeds

back to article We're not making this up: Apple trademarks the SHOP

After trademarking the leaf and patenting the rectangle, Apple has outdone itself by trademarking the shop. The US Patent and Trademark office last week granted Apple's application to trademark a retail store featuring computers. It is the "distinctive design and layout" that Apple now holds the unique design rights to, thanks …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

gobsmacked...

Fuck off Apple. Pathetic.

Silver badge
FAIL

Shareholders should be calling for a vote of no confidence in the board of directors as the board is clearly being take for a ride by its lawyers.

"yes, Mr Boardmember, we'll charge you millions to patent it and trademark it and then charge you more to vigorously defend your rights no matter how much it costs you"

M7S
Bronze badge

Will the local produce sale in my village hall be sued?

The trestle tables are arranged in a similar fashion and they sell apples.

Would it be made worse by the fact that they also have blackberries for sale?

A little off topic but it reminds me that when clearing out an old desk a few days ago, I came across some floppies for an Apricot. Memories of a sweeter time.

Prior Art...

Greenacres County Primary School, Harlescott, Shrewsbury, 1980.

I know 'cause I was there. I bought an Evil Kneivel bike with the little red windy-upy thing.

The tables were laid out EXACTLY the same. Miss Jones, our head-mistress would be rolling in her grave (RIP).

BUSTED, Apple!

This has to be simple vanity, right?

I can't believe that there is any other purpose to this. Is this really going to stop knock-off stores popping up? Will it be possible to prove that there were no other stores with this layout prior to the application being filed / apple being spewed forth onto the world (I used to like Apple, honest).

Does this mean I need to cancel my bake sale? (I appear to have rectangular tables with chairs underneath that are parallel to a wall, OCD you see, and a twat, which would be me, offering advice and being sneery).

Anonymous Coward

Apple spend a lot developing their products, brand etc. - it's understandable as otherwise (and even though) people just rip off their design / work.

Yeah, like they were the First People Ever to use icons, windows, Apple logos, rounded rectangles, shops with tables....

Not that big a deal

Ever been to a Wal-Mart or a McDonald's?

Same deal.

Trollface

Yesterday I got home and found out that Apple had trademarked my door mat and patented the spoon.

Anonymous Coward

Whatever next...

Well, we need someone to trademark tables being arranged parallel to the shop front, some to trademark having tables diagonal to the shop front, and finally someone to trademark having tables randomly arranged... Everyone who wants to have tables, in their store will be screwed.

Silver badge
Meh

IINM, Apple now has a Design Patent for their Apple Stores. It's not as if this is the only way to arrange an electronics store and has more to do with Apple's sense of style. As long as the patent is specific to this layout, I say OK they've locked in a signature style. Just steer away from it and life goes on.

Silver badge

Correcting myself.

Whether it's a service mark, a design patent, whatever. Point is, it's SPECIFIC. They're locking in a signature style, not saying any other electronics company can have a store. So I say, "So blanking what?"

Silver badge

Re: Correcting myself.

this isnt specific though. It is a store that sells or demonstrates pretty much any electronic or computer device. Is laid out in a rectangular fashion with tables and recessed shelves.

That doesnt seem specific to me. Specific would have dimensions, brand names, paint codes, technical aspects etc.

The trademark posted is broad not specific.

Silver badge

That drawing

looks just any mobile phone shop, yet I've never been in one and wondered where the Genius Bar(tm) was.

What a load of wank.

Silver badge
Joke

On-line store...

I went to browse on the Apple on-line store, but their website coding was so 1990s...

The layout was done with pairs of <TABLE>s all down the centre of the page.

Silver badge

I get why they applied for the trademark (they ARE Apple after all) but I can't for the life of me figure out what kind of deficiency allowed it to be granted. Was I a bribe, blackmail, or fanboism? Surely it's one of the three because this is the layout of a massive number of stores. It's hardly something Apple could claim is uniquely theirs.

FAIL

and Games Workshop...

...except for the video screens and counter at the back

Thumb Up

Re: and Games Workshop...

Yes they even have chairs and things to play with. Have an upvote, was going to the very same thing.

Hang on...

"Tables in a line"? Surely this means that if Samsung trademarks a shop with "tables not in a line" then all other shops with would have to shut down?

And what happens to Tables R Us

I Remember when .......

I remember a store in Leeds having exactly that layout - tables with chairs and stools around the sides of the store and along the center. That was in the days of CorelDraw 5. It was running on all their computers for a promotion. I was the one who moved from table to table and crashed every machine possible until I was politely asked to leave. I never did by version 5. Ah, yes, I remember it well. (Has that phrase been patented?)

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Re: I Remember when .......

Yes. Version 5 did constantly crash! I've got the "elements" version, which was usually just the previous version, minus a little, sold to the home user. Worked a treat, but had to auto save and Ctr-Del exit every 5 mins on the dot.

Stop

But.. all of Apple's shops are different?

I'd have thought in order to trademark a shop layout they would at least have to show that they brought all of their stores to a particular standard?

I'm sure many are familiar with the 5th Avenue Apple Store's above ground glass cube - which couldn't be much more different from the grand, old-school Apple Store in Glasgow.

Odd.

Anonymous Coward

Re: But.. all of Apple's shops are different?

"Odd."

Thats Apple for you!

Silver badge

Re: But.. all of Apple's shops are different?

The design in the article looks like their shopping centre stores. Certainly it looks like the stores in both Westfield Centres in London, Brent Cross, Arndale Centre Manchester and Trafford Centre Manchester.

The Regent Street, Covent Garden and Buchanan St stores look a bit different. They are in old buildings and cover more than one floor. One thing those stores all have in common is a glass staircase.

Anonymous Coward

Owning an iDevice is embrassing enough for thier clan, but trust Apple to go that little bit further than most sane people.

Honestly! Lame/gay/tragic/<insert slight here>

I have patented shit, yes thats right all your hot steaming shit r belong to I, patent pending on cold non steaming shit.

FFS Apple, what a bunch of complete twunts

Silver badge
Devil

Oh, for the love of God...

Apple, you're going to servicemark the placement of tables and shelves in a store? REALLY??!

Boy, it must be a nice gig being Apple's outside counsel for intellectual property law....

Re: Oh, for the love of God...

", it must be a nice gig being Apple's outside counsel for intellectual property law..."

Very, they clearly have nor need intellect and are not in any meaningful sense* lawyers to a global business - "an unjust law is no law" etc should equally apply to service marks / trademarks / patents, and any lawyer who isn't just a windup would have told them not to bother with this nonsense

* i.e. they haven't considered any law outside the USA, or just how laughable this makes their client

Silver badge
Happy

Wait!

I think it's absolutely correct that Apple should try to protect its most valuable idea.

Pint

It will appeal to squares. Is every genius obliged to take a protractor to their personal hot table every morning to make sure that it's precision parked parallel to the wall? Expiring minds need to know.

Anonymous Coward

I wonder

I wonder how much money Apple is paying the patent office to get these stupid senseless copyrights and patents approved.

Intresting

Despite my hatred for Apple perusing all this patent and trademark rubbish, I thought this really took the biscuit, however when my less than IT interested wife saw the line diagram, she asked if that was a new Apple Store! Made me think they may have a point. I do think however they should be made to make all their shops look like that drawing. If they change it in anyway to look like any other store then they should get fined. After all it is Apple who has started this game.

Flame

I wish I owned a shop

so I could arrange it EXACTLY like this.

Silver badge

Re: I wish I owned a shop

and open it as an apple and vegetable shop? That doesnt seem to be covered in the trademark. Your symbol could be a pepper with a bit taken out of it.

Silver badge
Pint

"Thinking different" at its finest

Android demolished Apple in smartphone sales for 2012, and this is their response.

Silver badge

Patent infringement...

"Rectangular tables arranged in a line in the middle of the store parallel to the walls and extending from the storefront to the back of the store." and "There is multi-tiered shelving along the side walls, and a oblong table with stools located at the back of the store, set below video screens flush mounted on the back wall."

In order to infringe upon a patent, don't you sort of have to need to infringe upon it "globally"? I mean, having a bunch of tables in a row from the storefront to the back with shelves on the sides describes a computer shop in Guildford back in the '80s, and probably thousands around the world.

What they most likely don't have, however, is stools and video screens at the back.

So if you have a shop with tables and side-wall-shelves, but not stools/screens, that's not infringing, right?

Windows

Erm..

Kind of looks like my local pub. They sell apples too, albeit of the fermented variety.

Mind you, the Feng Shui's all over the place, so I doubt this will do Apple any good at all.

Anonymous Coward

Arse

On Monday morning, or ehenever I'm next sober, I'm going down to trademark wiping my arse after having a shit.

If I catch any of you c**ts wiping your arses after having a shit, I'm going to sue the shit out of you.

Anonymous Coward

Next: Apple to trademark their customers appearance

You!

Yes you, behind the windows!

The one in the wrong designer gear.

No shiny relics for you.

Unhappy

This is the most pathetic thread I have ever read..

Seriously you people need lives!

Re: This is the most pathetic thread I have ever read..

iTake* it you own an apple?

*Sue me**

***Hears a thought, if Apple trademark lawyers, that would Samsung wouldn't be able to use them. Win

FAIL

Pathetic or not (I consider this to be the latter), there's something that all the previous posts appear to have missed: What completely loony insane and bloody stupid bunch of morons actually *granted* this trademark?

You guessed it: The Utterly Stupid Pillocks and Twats Orifice, proving, once again, that they are *not* even close to being fit for purpose.

Anonymous Coward

They are fit for purpose.

Their purpose is to let IP issues be resolved in the courts - to the benefit of lawyers - who write the rules in the first place.

Silver badge

Missing the point

I would hope this isn't just to persecute anyone who has a similar layout, but to stop people setting up identakit stores as has happened in China. El Reg reported a couple of years ago of stores in China that were identical to the real thing, logos and all.

Do any other retail outlets file such trademarks? McDonalds have been refitting their branches over the last few years. If you set up a cafe down the road with an identical look and layout I can't imagine they'd be best pleased either. But would a chain like that also file for protection of the design of their outlet?

Meh

How about the appearance of copycat Microsoft stores in the US?

Silver badge
WTF?

WTF? prior art... I've been in loads of stored in china that look JUST like that, and that is not just apple stores...

Whoever granted this is a few braincells short in the common sense department...

Anonymous Coward

America: Freedom to Facism

no rectangular tables in your store. peon.

Thumb Up

New business model looming

After the computer sales fizzle Apple can probably continue for a couple of decades living off of the money made from suing companies and persons breaking one or more of those silly trademarks and patents.

Anonymous Coward

Looks like an up-scale fashion outlet

One extremely overpriced item per table with plenty of room for the adoring crowds to gape in wonder at the oh-so-perfect beauty.

Thumb Up

Excellent news!

Assuming I can recreate the exact layout at work tomorrow I'm hoping some Apple henchmen will immediately shut the office down and give me a day off - hopefully on full pay. Then I can go to my local phone shop and buy either an Android, Blackberry, or Windows phone.

This is the smartest, fastest, and lightest patent yet (tm)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.