Feeds

back to article Drop that can of sweet pop and grab a coffee - for your sanity's sake

Further proof - were it necessary - that strong unsweetened coffee is the only correct workplace beverage and that sickly imitation pop is the devil's own satanic brew has emerged this week. Boffins in the States have confirmed that sweetened and "diet" drinks are associated with a significantly heightened risk of mental illness …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Re: note *canned* sodas

Boy are you in trouble, don't you know the tin foil for your hat is actually sheet aluminium?

Silver badge

Also, the benzoate preservative reacts with the phosphoric acid in Da Coke, which will GIVE YOU LEUKEMIA.

Coke, Mandrake. Children's Coke Cans.

Silver badge

"It's the aluminium cans that are killing us."

No, it's chemtrails, as any fule kno.

Anonymous Coward

> that strong unsweetened coffee is the only correct workplace beverage

Tea, NATO.

Anonymous Coward

Depressed people aren't insane.

Anonymous Coward

It depends what you mean by "depressed people", and I think perhaps what you really mean is "Depressed people aren't crazy".

If you mean someone who is depressed because their dad died or some other traumatic event, then no they're not insane (or crazy).

If you mean some one suffering from depression as a disorder, rather than depression as rational mood state induced by circumstances, then by definition they are not sane.

Sane/Insane are not insults but technical terms (albeit ones which have fallen out of favour due to political correctness), the definition of sane is being in a rational state of mind.

IANAP (I Am Not A Psychiatrist) but if you are depressed due to metal illness your judgment is compromised to a greater or lesser degree and as such you are by definition not rational.

Not that I judge or criticise anyone for being depressed or having any other mental illness. It is just that, an illness, something the sufferer is blameless for and there are a variety of treatments available.

Anonymous Coward

Also it annoys me when they change the name of charities because of current political correctness or insults being used.

The Spastics Society changed it's name to Scope because the word spastic was commonly being used as an insult, even though the name of the charity came from the name of the illnesses involved such as Spastic Diplegia.

Would Cancer Research change it's name if people were using the word cancer as an insult?

Anonymous Coward

strong unsweetened coffee

By "coffee" I assume he means real (Espresso) coffee, not that filtered watery rats piss you get everywhere in the USA.

FAIL

Re: strong unsweetened coffee

Espresso was invented because there were tax benefits for serving coffee to customers who stood up rather than sat down at a table. It tastes crap compared to a decent cup of properly brewed coffee. Anybody who thinks their life is too busy and important to spend five minutes having a real coffee needs to take a good look in the mirror. The fact that an Emperor's New Clothes snobbery has grown around it is mildly amusing.

Bronze badge

10 years and still not depressed

I've been drinking Diet Pepsi mostly every day, approximately 1 litre a day, for a little over 10 days and can't say I feel remotely depressed.

Cynical, and socially awkward yes, but I was like that before I started drinking diet soft drinks.

As many many people have point out correlation does not equal causation.

The study in question does not actually factor in other factors such as diet. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that a number of the participants had a family history of depression, but it wasn't factored in because it was never acknowledged/diagnosed/treated.

I also wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that some of them had diets lacking in carbohydrates. Since these are required for the body to form serotonin, it is a much more likely cause of depression than diet soft drinks.

P.S. I also enjoy the occasional strong black unsweetened coffee, but I seriously doubt this would counter any negative effects of diet pepsi.

Bronze badge

Re: 10 years and still not depressed

10 Years that should be, not 10 days, Obviously.

If it made you depressed in 10 days I'd definitely of noticed by now!

Anonymous Coward

Re: 10 years and still not depressed

You've drunk a litre a day for 10 years -- that makes me depressed.

Bronze badge

Could we have science stories that are less Goldacreable on The Register please? It isn't supposed to be the Daily Mail

I assume we are ignoring the many dodgy side effects of coffee, such as

- Caffeine dependency

- Increased risk of pancreatic and bladder cancer (which I had 7 years ago, and the docs put it down to coffee)

- Increased risk of glaucoma

- Insomnia

- High blood pressure

etc etc.

Given that it's not particularly good for you and tastes like sh*t, I'll stick to full-fat Pepsi thanks.

Gold badge
Unhappy

The sweetned thing suggests aspartane.

Which was linked to depression to the point where trials were stopped because the patients were viewed as serious risks of suicide.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8373935 (scroll to bottom of page for abstract).

For most people it might be OK but for a proportion of the population it appears Aspartane (created by the everyone's favorite agrichemicals and GM company Monsanto) is about as good an idea as working in a climbing rope shop or a plastic bag factory.

Anonymous Coward

Re: The sweetned thing suggests aspartane.

* ASPARTAME

What about tea?

Coffee isn't the only alternative to Coke. We're British for Christ's sake - we're supposed to like tea.

Anonymous Coward

Possible link

Is it just me that thinks like this? People who drink diet drinks are usually hung up on their weight so more likely to be depressed about it. Just a thought.

Anon because this may sound stupid

Unhappy

Dammit...

I have been quaffing Canderel sweetener in my tea since el Reg posted an article that coffee/tea in the work place is the main reason for IT staff being fat... i don't want to be FAT! But i don't want to lose my sanity either! :( Rock/Hardplace

Anonymous Coward

Re: Dammit...

Sugar is fine. Just don't eat an excessive amount of it.

Or do more activity.

Is it because...

... diet drinks are SO DEADLY yet much easier to get hold of than TOXIC QUANTITIES of over-the-counter medication that it has become the CRY FOR HELP of choice for depressed people?

* Emphasis is mine.

Meh

But... Brawndo has got what your body craves...

... It's got... electrolytes!

Here is my worthless opinion:

Tea=stimulating and tasty beverage.

Coffee=bitter tasting medicine useful for getting through dull meetings without snoring.

Soda (or Pop as I prefer to call it)=a drink best enjoyed at birthday parties with jelly and crisps.

Bronze badge

Re: But... Brawndo has got what your body craves...

"Soda (or Pop as I prefer to call it)=a drink best enjoyed with lashings of vodka added."

There, fixed that for you...

Silver badge

Re: But... Brawndo has got what your body craves...

If you find coffee to be too bitter, you should try a cup of Kopi Luwak, as it's not bitter in the slightest, yet still tastes like coffee.

Happy

Only applies to excess drinking of the pop kind?

Just like with everything life, everything's alright if done in MODERATION. The word is in caps because life is all about balance. Go for the imbalance and bugger yourself all over. I'm drinking a can of Coca-Cola (no, not the the thin stuff). Tastes lovely once in a blue moon.

And coffee? Now I don't need to rely on it to give me a kick in the mornings, a sugarless cappuccino or straight Kenco (with little milk) tastes immense for a tiny bit of happiness.

Silver badge

Re: Only applies to excess drinking of the pop kind?

Quite right, I don't think anybody needs to drink pints of anything a day, except for water and beer of course. Orange juice is good for you in moderation, but it can be to easy to quaff the whole carton.

Bronze badge
Devil

Diet Soda

One of the issues with Diet Soda is the fact that "Nutrasweet" or Aspartame is known to partially breakdown into Methyl Alcohol when mixed with water and allowed to reach temperatures over 90F.

Canned or bottled soda sits on the back of an unrefrigerated truck or in a warehouse where these temperatures are common place. Fountain soda outlets (restauraunts) use other types of sweetenters than aspartame for this reason (even less temperature control)

Drinking methyl alcohol in any quantity is not good for anyone but even small quantities may induce mental problems over a long term of exposure. Methyl alcohol is also produced in incorrect fermentation situations (bad moonshine).

Plain old cane sugar, while "fattening" does not have any known "toxicity" levels.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Diet Soda

" even small quantities may induce mental problems"

I drin lost of diert drins and I dnt hav mental prollems.

Coat

Confirmation of what we already knew

Most of us were already aware that to find any sanity in most companies you have to talk to IT and that if you deny coffee to your technical staff you're likely to have a revolt on your hands, this merely explains the correlation between the two :D

zb

Phd and medical doctor?

Should he be called Dr Dr Chen?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Phd and medical doctor?

Only in Germany.

Devil

Another option?

Couldn't they just come up with another option, instead of a stinking, brown liquid that makes me turn blotchy, rash-covered and praying to the porcelain god?

Yeh, I'm allergic to the vile stuff. I wish people'd stop trying to make my workplace reek of it. If you want a 'good morning' smell, make it bacon...

Re: Another option?

make it bacon. - difficult to drink!

Unhappy

What else is there?

I drink diet coke because:

1. I think it tastes better than full fat coke

2. coffee tastes like savoury shit (or rather what I imagine savoury shit would taste like, not having actually eaten shit...)

3. tea tastes like burnt water

So what other beverage should I be drinking instead if I want my caffeine fix?

Anonymous Coward

Re: What else is there?

I heard that cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Thumb Up

I drink diet coke because:

1. I think it tastes better than full fat coke - You have weird taste buds!

2. coffee tastes like savoury shit (or rather what I imagine savoury shit would taste like, not having actually eaten shit...) - You must be drinking shite coffee or not a city worker. Must admit, had the same opinion until my taste buds warmed to the taste. Must admit, I had the same opinion first.

3. tea tastes like burnt water - Again, must be crap tea.

So what other beverage should I be drinking instead if I want my caffeine fix? - Alient juice from your comments above. It doesn't exist, but tastes greeeeeeeeat!

Silver badge

To be fair, Diet Coke is nicer tasting than regular Coke, owing to it being sweeter (I think this is the same reason that the Pepsi Challenge always resulted in the participants preferring Pepsi over Coke*).

I shan't be defending the OPs stance on tea/coffee, however.

*only true in small quantities, all types of cola taste pretty rough after you've had a cupful.

Silver badge

"3. tea tastes like burnt water"

I don't think you ever drunk tea in your life. FYI, "English Breakfast Tea" dust in bags made of toilet paper is *not* tea.

some people argue that we don't really taste certain things, we feel it and smell it. Artificial sweeteners are so much more potent than sugar that you need far less volume, which makes the liquid feel different in the mouth, though, personally I don't agree regarding coke. Diet coke doesn't taste 'sweet' to me. I concede that sometimes I find it hard to tell diet pepsi from regular if it's from a fountain and if there's lots of ice in it. But then I think that's Pepsi's fault for producing an inferior product. Though I did once buy a half-litre bottle of pepsi max by mistake (no coke and the max bottle looked very similar to the normal pepsi) and had to buy something else instead as I couldn't drink the max nonsense. I know some people who can't tell the difference between coke and coke zero whereas I can barely drink coke zero because of the foul taste. coke zero being diet coke marketed for men (though there is a minor difference in the ratio of phosphoric acid to other ingredients as you can see if you compare the ingredients lists of diet coke and zero).

On the other hand I much prefer artificially sweetened blackcurrant cordial over sugar-sweetened because it doesn't taste as sweet to me. Though in bars, the bar staff are so inconsistent in how much cordial they put in, it's often hard to tell artificial vs sugar.

Finally, sugar would probably be considered an artificial sweetener if it was developed today. The refining process is pretty involved and probably isn't that much different from 'artificial' sweeteners made from naturally occurring substances.

Bronze badge

Well, there’s …

Supportomancer, have you tried hot cocoa? Or mate cocido (if you can find it)?

sucralose..

.is known to cause depression / suicidal feelings. Of course the manufacturers deny this. Aspartame breaks down into very nasty chemicals in the body. So even if you need sweetness in your coffee dont use artificial sweeteners

Re: sucralose..

Citation needed. Google Scholar says a fairly unequivocal "no".

The manufacturers presumably deny this because it is bollocks.

Gold badge
Happy

"Citation needed."

Happy to oblige.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8373935 (scroll to bottom of page for abstract).

And note the conditions under which the trial was terminated.

This post has been deleted by its author

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

First of all - personal experience... was on it for a bit then stopped because frankly I couldn't be arsed getting the new pack out of the cupboard. Switched back to brown sugar in my coffee...

Then one Saturday morning my wife made coffee for me and used sucralose and within 3 hours I really did not give a shit about anything and frankly if I'd been hit by a car I wouldn't have cared less. I

There is a lot of stuff on the web about sucralose and depression and other issues. But I guess you'll say that because they're not the product of some "boffiny" research that its complete bollocks...

WTF?

@John Smith 19

Ummm ... why have you linked to an article about aspartame when I asked for a citation about sucralose?

Facepalm

"boffiny" research

Yeah. Damn those scientists and their science. Damn them all to hell!

Gold badge
Meh

Downvoted because?

As for why any mfg of any product would deny its product if used properly was bad for you the huge lawsuits that would result might have something to do with it.

This being a US company I'd go with the examples of the Ford Pinto and the Tobacco industries suppression of a)the addictive properties of Nicotine b)the fact they were controlling levels of it in cigarettes running over decades suggests such corporate behavior is not entirely unknown.

But note for most non-depressive people it's probably no more dangerous in large quantities than anything else.

what do diet/lite drinks taste of?

depression

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.