back to article Automatic Facebook couple pages: Nauseating sign of desperation

A week after Facebook introduced the nauseating idea of automatic couple pages, it has been rolled out to users across the globe, inducing reactions such as: "creepy and intrusive", "retch-inducing" and "smug". Facebook's new couple page, credit Facebook Here is your relationship Facebook users who have listed themselves …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Craig Graham 1
    Stop

All OTT.

Aside from the "/us" link, which only you can go to for obvious reasons, all this does is takes two people and presents the common parts of their timelines. Look at the URL and you see the other person; change it to someone else and it gives the events you have in common with them. After clicking on the link on here and seeing stuff in common with my partner, I tried it with my son and an acquaintance. It's nothing to do with relationship data, and the page is generated on the fly, so it's not like someone's comment on pages of past relationships continuing to lurk as self sustaining entities. So, like, chill.

1. J 3

Re: All OTT.

Yep, pretty much my conclusions in another comment.

I also tried generating pages (with the www.facebook.com/user1?and=user2 kind of link) of "relationships" between friends of mine who are not themselves "friended" on FB. It generates a mostly blank page. The most specific thing that appeared was "Living in city, state", since they live in the same city. So yes, generated on the fly, and visible by anyone, it seems.

2. Valeyard
    Big Brother

a bit shoddy

Looked at mine. Me and and the wife apparently have a page, but the one post is her posting a link to a geeky t-shirt with the phrase "hint" and a lot of photos of my father's chickens and ducks doing silly things which we were both tagged in (I don't untag these since I prefer to pollute the facial recognition database) beside one solitary photo of our wedding day

So I would be a bit annoyed at it except that it's been implemented so badly that it's neither here nor there

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Knowledge
    Thumb Up

Another way out

You can break up quietly: Go and update your settings to not show a relationship status.

5. Winkypop Silver badge
    Facepalm

That's no lady, that's my wife..

Oh dear, Facebook has jumped the shark.

6. djstardust
    WTF?

Try keeping up .....

One of my mates' ex girlfriends changes her relationship status (and the people she's in a relationship with) on an hourly basis.

Server overload !!!!!!!!

7. Anonymous Custard

Waiting for the "next Facebook news"

That membership and associated advertising revenue must be doing very well, as suddenly they have 20% more brand new pages on the site.

(Figure picked out of the air, but you get the point).

8. Colin Millar
    Pirate

Chavbook

This is the digital equivalent of those "Kev & Shaz" banners at the top of Peugeot 205 windscreens.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Happy

Re: Chavbook

I used to work with a woman called Tracey. At one point in conversation she let it be known that, if she had been born a boy, her parents would have called her Wayne. This led to my asking the following question:

"That's interesting. Your parents, did they own a MkIII Cortina by any chance?"

"Why yes! How on earth did you know th.........."

I was already running by the time the penny dropped.

9. Risky
    FAIL

I did log into facebook recently to see if there were any more privacy buttons I needed to turn on. Merciffy there noting there - no photos comments etc. If I was sure the would delete everything I'd close it.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And what about people in group relationships? Isn't this biased against them???

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've never been on Facebook but I don't like it.

12. Alistair
    Coat

Ironic ads.

Yurp, our page is there.

Why pray tell would there be ads for "find singles in your area" on my view of this page?

a) we're married.

b) I'm looking at "our" page.

OMG. I'l bet there are THOUSANDS of divorce lawyers invested in .....

13. Amorous Cowherder
    Facepalm

Me and the Missus are on there

However we have different online lives to each other, we have a few common family members on the FB friends list but that's where it ends. I have my FB page to showcase some of my photography, she has her genalogy and TV show stuff and never the twain and all that. We have nothing to hide from each other but she wouldn't like me poking my nose into her business and conversations, vice-versa.

This is a creepy thing for those sickening couples who've only been together for 2 weeks and sit all smugly on trains to work giving off that "We wuv each ovver wery wery wery muchy!" vibe! When you've been together and married for 25 years like me and my Missus that's when you know that person inside and out and you also know how to respect each other's limits and boundaries.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If there is hope..

..then it lies in the proles^h^h^h^h^h^hAustrian geeks:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/11/how-one-law-student-is-making-facebook-get-serious-about-privacy/

Pass the popcorn.

15. Duffaboy
    Happy

Bothered

Not

16. Sarev
    Meh

Meh

Not quite sure what all the vitriol is about with this. It's just a search filter. Ooo. Now, if I could only search for any of the other stuff in my timeline...

My biggest complaint about Facebook is that it's so impossible to search _your own data_. How can you find posts you made four years ago? Even the friend search thing is the crappest search imaginable. That's its most cynical aspect, I find; they are using your data six ways 'til Sunday but they don't seem to want _you_ to be able to use it.

17. DJ Particle

If you're on FB...

All this really is.. is just the "friendship" page for you and your partner. You'll find you have "friendship" pages between you and ALL your friends. If you ever saw a "see friendship" link, that's what it is. This just happens to be the one between you and your partner, is all. I don't see the issue.

18. The Alpha Klutz
    Facepalm

Is Zuckerburg a brilliant businessman?

or just some kinda idiot, I mean, wtf is this shit all about then?

If I was a shareholder I'd be biting down hard on a towel right now....

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can someone please explain

What has Facebook got to do with friendship

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cancelling my Face Bum account? But, but......

That is where my millions of friends hang out, that are just waiting for me to contact them.....

Oh Friends, Glorious Friends - millions of people I have never met till then,

And when I log into Face Bum - there they are not.....

"Oh do you remember me? We used to sit at a desk together when we were 7 years old - nearly 50 years ago?"

"Ohhhhhhhhhh yeah I remember you, I lent you 5c back then and I want it back."

Ummmm sorry wrong school.

Arrrggghh the millions of FRIENDS.... on Face Bum

So the daily Face Bum email goes....

21. Steady Eddy
    Thumb Up

Welcome to the Hotel California

"Welcome to the Hotel California

Such a lovely place

Such a lovely place

You can check-out any time you like,

But you can never leave..."

Page: