back to article Hobbyist builds working assault rifle using 3D printer

Hobbyists have used 3D printers to make guitars, copy house keys, and bring robot dinosaurs to life, but a firearms enthusiast who goes by the handle "Have Blue" has taken this emerging technology into a new realm by assembling a working rifle from 3D-printed parts. Specifically, ExtremeTech reports, Have Blue used 3D CAD …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not that big a deal

First a couple of minor corrections. Bolts are usually not serialized here in the USA. There are a large number of parts kits available for all sorts of firearms. These usually include everything except the frame/lower receiver. According to Law this is the controlled part of the firearm and must have a serial number, except that there are one or two minor exceptions to this. It is legal to manufacture for your own personal use a semi-automatic firearm. Selling it is illegal. Adding a serial number without going through the BATFE (Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosive) is also illegal. Being stopped while having a non-serial numbered firearm can cause all sorts of difficulty especially since many local police departments do not follow the confusing laws. Remember the BATF and the IRS (Internal Revenue Service) used to both be part of the same department. As far as getting the CAD/CAM plans for an AR-15 lower receiver these are available online and apparently there are "open source" versions for many firearms parts (quality may vary).

During World War II, I have heard that bicycle shops were used to make British Sten guns. Firearms manufacturing is not as difficult as many seem to think it is. Making an accurate and reliable firearm does require a bit more skill and expensive machinery. Anything that requires heat treatment of metals or making spring steel can be even more challenging.

The real news here is that polymer plastics can be used. Not only is this lighter, cheaper, and easier to work with than metal, it also is not magnetic. All of this makes manufacturing easier and less expensive. I can see a time when revolutions will be started with 3-D printers not parachuting arms shipments.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not that big a deal

"I can see a time when revolutions will be started with 3-D printers not parachuting arms shipments."

Maybe not: In a world where one can just download and print all the goodies one would ever want, then it will be hard for The Revolution to motivate enough people to take the hassle and the risk to life & limb of replacing the ruling class. Because there would not be much gained, except having to watch your back all the time. Because everything you could possibly use to signal your elite-ness is just copied by the peons the day.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coat

If only John Brunner were still alive.

It seems the day of the hobby terrorist has truly arrived.

You can guess what' in my pocket.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I actually wonder if the gun companies are looking at this, surely the plastic pieces are lighter than their metal counterparts? It might make handling the gun quicker? Though I guess if your gun got shot it'd probably shatter all over the place.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Plastic and ceramic guns do exist, they tend to use production methods other than 3D printing though.

Once your volume goes over a certain amount say 10000/year, probably less.

3D printing isn't as cost effective and say injection moulding.

4. Dom 3

Low-tech manufacture

There is a whole village in Northern Pakistan devoted to arms manufacture, without the benefit of sophisticated machinery: http://www.khyber.org/places/2005/DarraAdamKhel.shtml

5. Trollslayer
    Thumb Down

The title is not true

It is one thing to build body parts, quite another to build the works - barrel, bolt etc. that would survive the first firing.

Also the tolerances of body parts would be wider than the barrel.

6. Ken 16 Silver badge
    Pint

Can't we just be impressed by the technology and ignore debates about the product?

The guy has used home technology to produce something capable of handling high stresses. This could be applied to internal combustion engines given a few material improvements. It's one step closer to having a replicator in your house to turn out any gadget minutes after asking for it.

1. The Mysterious Panda

Re: Can't we just be impressed by the technology and ignore debates about the product?

It doesn't handle "high stress", that's part of the reason why he made the lower from plastic instead of the upper. Now if he could print a plastic upper that worked, it would be more impressive...

7. Daniel Bower

Its ok folks

Just remember - its people that kill people, not guns (or so says the NRA) - so long as some lone nutter doesn't try this we're perfectly safe...

8. Andy Fletcher

Tish and pish

Seems most comments missed the point. Sure, right now it's more expensive and fiddly to produce an M16 this way for now and the end product is inferior. The point is, it's been done. Cost & quality will change inversely as time passes (it'll get cheaper, quality will improve).

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can the metal bits be printed using something harder?

Fill the printer with clay and print your own ceramic parts.

Could do ammo to (just add gunpowder)

Result - a gun that passes metal detectors

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Can the metal bits be printed using something harder?

EBM (Electron Beam Melting) can work directly with metals.

SLS (Selective laser sintering) can also work directly with metals.

10. Tieger

producing firearms has never been all that difficult - given some decent metalworking tools, and expertise, its easy enough to do. where it tends to fall down is a) people dont have decent metalworking tools and expertise and b) manufacture of firearms (or realistic imitation firearms, since they're treated basically the same in law...) is treated WAY more harshly than just buying/having/using them is (at least in the UK).

So if someone wanted to be all illegal and have a gun, it would be far less trouble to just buy one than make one yourself. (even for legal weapons like shotguns, its hideously illegal, and very harshly punished, to manufacture them).

11. Gordon Fecyk
    Alert

How long before FRM (Fabrication Rights Management) becomes reality?

The Mass Effect universe is rife with "omni-tools" that cam make anything out of anything. But said tools have "FRM tech" installed and most of the tech is heavily licensed.

3D printers in the real world are going to need this tech apparently, to prevent mass replication of unregisterable firearms. Once again, truth becomes stranger than fiction. And then we'll have refuseniks with 'illegal' 3D printer mods to work around 'FRM' to produce licensed goods without a license.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fictional (?) future

A couple of books by Daniel Suarez look into what's possible in the near future for this sort of tech: Daemon and Network.

As with everything else these days - it depends what you want to use it for.

13. Stevie

Bah!

The receiver is *legally* the gun, not *essentially*.

One might argue that the gun won't fire without the bolt, or the firing pin or any one of a number of parts including the ammunition.

Not sure what that gains us though other than an insight that once again legislation trails technological reality.

But I already had that insight about two decades ago, so no real gain whatsoever.

14. sisk

Legal ramifications?

Not so much. It's just like any other hobbiest making their own gun. I know a couple guys who've been doing that the old fashioned way (with workshops full of equipment) for years now. And no, they aren't survival nuts or psychos or anything like that. I'm not sure what all they have to do for them to be legal, if anything, but I'd imagine that printing a lower reciever would be about the same thing.

15. David Eddleman
    Headmaster

Edit for the author:

"AR-15 class assault rifle"

The AR-15 is, by design, semiautomatic only. It is not an assault rifle. The introduction of a lightning link, auto sear, or any other technology to make it fully automatic or have a selectable fire mode (other than "safe" and "semiauto/fire") is completely non-standard.

"the style of gun the US military has called an M16"

The M16 shares the direct impingement system of the AR-15, and some of the aesthetic differences, but that's about where the similarities end. The M16 has additional parts that enable it to fire in either fully automatic or burst fire mode (depending upon the model) as well as the ability to still fire on semiautomatic (without the so-called M16 parts kit, a rifle that had the auto-sear/lightning-link/etc. would only fire on automatic).

"The lower receiver of a factory-produced AR-15 is usually made of metal, typically stamped aluminum."

Incorrect. Most AR-15 lower receivers are milled & machined from a solid piece of aluminum. Some are forged, although those are less desirable due to structural weaknesses.

Fun note: most people were thinking it would blow up since lately there have been attempts at making a polymer lower receiver (rather than aluminum or steel), but most of them end in abject failure. Some rather spectacularly.

1. sisk

Re: Edit for the author:

"The AR-15 is, by design, semiautomatic only. It is not an assault rifle."

I believe the legal definition of an assault rifle in the US is any automatic or semiautomatic rifle with an ammo capacity of 20 or more rounds. I may be mistaken about that, but I do know that the AR-15 is one of the rifles that fell under the assault rifle ban in the 90s because my dad was pondering selling his off before it became illegal to do so (he just uses it for target shooting).

Personally I wouldn't have been suprised had it blown up, but neither am I suprised that it just jammed. What would have suprised me is if it had worked flawlessly.

1. David Eddleman

Re: Edit for the author:

There's actually no legal definition of 'assault rifle' in the Federal courts, AFAIK and IANAL. I can't speak about state laws since those are just as varied and silly.

The ban that you're thinking of is the "assault weapons ban", which is silly since before that bill came around there was never any talk of "assault weapons".

16. Dana W
    Meh

Silly.

You can make an all metal Sten gun in a garage, with pretty basic tools. A lot simpler and more reliable than this semi plastic "theoretical exercise".

Back about 15-20 years ago, they were selling de-weaponized Stens for collectors with a chunk cut out of the receiver, and another company sold a tube that could be cut to match. "Sort of a build your own program" Some of people did this as contrary to popular belief it is VERY hard to get a full auto rifle in the US.

What stopped most people is the penalties. The feds have NO sense of humor, when it comes to automatic weapons, and doing this and getting caught meant that you could pretty much kiss legal ownership of anything more than an air rifle goodbye forever. That is after they let you out of Federal prison...............

17. Barry 8
    Black Helicopters

BTAF regs

Under U.S. Federal law a firearm constructed at home with 80% of the work being done by the individual does not have to be registered with the BATF. In the case of the AR-15 series of rifles the lower receiver (the part with the serial number on it) is classified as the Firearm. Neither the Bolt nor the Bolt Carrier have a serial number. So yes this is a legal firearm. Also the reason the lower can be made of Aluminum or Plastic is that there is no stress on the lower. I own a plastic lower and like it very much.

18. Dave 32
    Flame

David Williams

Do I have to trot out the example of David "Carbine" Williams, who designed and built guns....while in prison?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Marshall_Williams

Quite an interesting story, actually.

But, maybe we need to ban prisons, since guns can be built in there!

Dave

19. samlebon23
    Flame

Wow, affordable rampage killing for everyone. That's what Americans need.

20. Eduard Coli
    Childcatcher

So many laws, so little time

Technologically this is interesting but building a lower receiver like this without all of the byzantine permits and oversight by various agencies in the US it already breaks so many laws its not funny.

1. Arthur 1

Re: So many laws, so little time

When something sounds like it might be illegal, but you really don't know, better to say nothing than to go with the vague 'so many laws I won't even name one' line. There's really no pressure on you to contribute anything here, and you look silly when someone points out that in the US fabbing a home firearm is totally legal. :)

21. MickeyC
    FAIL

Hmm

Firstly in the US, there is no Federal firearm registration or licensing system in place for firearms that aren't covered under the 1934 National Firearms Act which covers fully automatic weapons, short barreled rifles and destructive devices. Background check records are destroyed after 90 days.

Most states do not have a firearms register or licensing system in place and the background check is there to ensure that convicted felons or others with certain histories can not purchase a firearm from a dealer. this does not however occur on private face to face sales.

Note too that under federal law anyone who may legally own a firearm may also make one and the only requirement for a serial number is that one be present if the weapon is ever sold.

AR15 receivers are usually forged or machined from billet aluminum, not stamped parts like an L85.

.223 would be an issue with a plastic receiver as it generates over 50,000 psi and considerable heat in the receiver. The AR15 taps expanding gasses and vents them back into the receiver to cycle the action, pinging a lot of high speed and hot debris and gas into the receiver body. Numerous companies make .22 versions of the AR15 in plastic. Printing the part is simply an evolution of the R&D process prior to switching to Plastic injection molding.

A much simpler action would be to buy an 80% receiver blank and a drill press to make a part. Many folks over here do that already.

22. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Bah

I fabricated a gun out of a hollow log and some other bits and pieces I found lying around once. Shot a Gorn with it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bah

You forgot the diamond projectiles.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like