back to article So, that vast IT disaster you may have caused? Come in, sit down

I have a little sideline in interrogating IT professionals who are suspected of doing bad things. Sometimes it is quite hard to objectively tell the difference between incompetence and malice. In fact it is rare that either are the root cause of the worst screw-ups. The most dangerous techie in your firm is not the disaffected …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Doug Glass
    Go

Root Cause Analysis

Oppressive, obsessive, obnoxious overachieving supervisors, managers and vice presidents who have reached the very top of their Peter Principle position. They can't let the person work by constantly probing and asking/demanding the work be done in the shortest amount of time with the least resources.

Sounds like SOP to me.

2. Dominic Connor, Quant Headhunter

Career Agony Aunt

I'm starting an experiment where Reg use the Forum http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/containing/1461382 to ask for advice on career matter and I write what I think they should do.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Definitely been here:

>Sometimes it is quite hard to objectively tell the difference between incompetence and malice

It was only after I'd quit my job and seen the company go down the pan that I realized it was incompetence rather than malice.

..so incompetent, that the MD (who I'd though was being malicious) when sacked for his incompetence found out, he tried to email himself over 3GB of sensitive company data using the company's email system

..so incompetent that competence wasn't part of the MD's job spec, so he managed to sue successfully for unfair dismissal.

AC to protect the guilty.

4. Wakjob

Mr. Wakjob

In the case of Indians, it IS MALICE! They hate white people!

5. umacf24

Is there enough cynicism here?

Why has no-one accused Connor of stuffing up poor guileless engineers so they get sacked, and then reverting to his headhunter role and placing them for a fat commission?

6. Corp-Rat
    Thumb Up

on a more serious note

+1 for the Pratchett references

7. Jabber 44
    Trollface

Cages..

Hi - I reckon the solution to all this internal politics should be a cage fighting ring in the lobby. Especially in the blue chip consultancies!

8. Shagbag
    Meh

another opinion piece

more cheap copy for El Reg.

9. drpacman

Preparing to fail

There was a great talk at QCon this year about how IT industry could learn from other sectors about dealing with high pressured failure scenarios

http://www.infoq.com/presentations/Resilient-Response-In-Complex-Systems

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.