back to article Windows XP support ends two years from now

Support for Windows XP will end two years from today, on April 8th, 2014*. XP was shipped to OEMs on August 24th, 2001 and reached average punters on October 25th. Plenty bought it and plenty still run it: Gartner's July 2011 assessment of the global OS population suggested "Windows XP Home and Follow-Ons" had 68 million …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Winkypop Silver badge
    Gimp

There's no subsidised upgrade path for XP...

...so in under 2 years I'll "upgrade" to a 27" iMac.

Hasta la Vista M$.

2. Tom 13

Didn't I read this article about 2 years ago?

Should I expect to be reading it again in 2 years?

3. earl grey
    Flame

Why is XP still with us?

Because the numpties didn't make an upgrade path and fista was were a piece of shite.

4. Cupboard
    Facepalm

XP Mode

I'm the only person at work (it's a small business) that's using Windows 7 and it has been a bit of a pain getting the software I have to use to do my job to work. A lot of it's using XP Mode and that isn't without its issues, for instance the latency of the USB-Serial adapters I have to use has shot up massively over XP.

When XP is no longer supported, what is going to happen to security patches for XP mode? If my virtual OS gets buggered it will rather inhibit my work!

And a quick note to Mitsubishi and Schneider: please make some better software! The Mitsubishi software I use won't install on 7 but works if you copy it from XP, and the Schneider software works in 7 but won't talk to the hardware I'm trying to program.

5. Tannin

From the artticle: " XP was the first mainstream desktop OS Microsoft built on the Windows NT kernel ..... We're not willing to classify Windows NT Workstation as a mainstream desktop OS." - and (apparently) we have never heard of Windows 2000.

Sorry, you can't start an article with a gross error like this and expect to be taken seriously, particularly not when your footnote makes it clear that the cause of the error is ignorance, not just a slip of the brain.

1. ssharwood

I'm pretty sure that W2K was not intended as a mainstream OS - IIRC it was the workstation element of the Windows 2000 server back when MSFT did workstation versions of its servers. The W9x line morphed into Windows ME and that was the mainstream desktop.

I do have a faint recollection of W2K being pushed as a corporate desktop, but am also pretty sure it did not take off in that role.

6. Spoonsinger
    Unhappy

"Why is XP Still with us?"

Well I do like 7, however the file explorer doesn't do what I want and removed functionality provided by XP, - i.e. ability to turn auto-sort off and ability to rearrange icons in any order in icon mode). Maybe not a problem for some, but it is a personal preference and something that was removed for no real reason other than the 'undocumented' control now being used in Win7's file explorer doesn't do it. Does remind me of the time they removed the 'block' copy ability from Word for no reason. Thank god for Textpad.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like