Feeds

back to article Powerful, wallet-sized Raspberry Pi computer sells out in SECONDS

The first batch of 10,000 ARM-powered Raspberry Pi computers went on sale at 6am GMT on Wednesday - and sold out within minutes. According to distributor Premier Farnell, there were at least 600 orders, visits or pre-orders every SECOND, producing a 300 per cent hike in web traffic. The electronic component sales site was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

It's going to be a game changer!

On the RPI forums: I predicted that the servers would fall over (I gave it a 10-1 chance)

I also predicted they will sell 500,000 this year, I'm now revising that up! (As I thought production would be the limiting factor)

I now predict it will be a game changer in more ways than I can think of!

Gold badge

It's just a shame they couldn't make them in the UK. While it would have taken longer and costs would have been higher for a time, it could have kick-started some manufacturing in the UK.

Anonymous Coward

I wouldn't mind too much if they didn't do them in the UK, but not doing them anywhere in Europe and going all the way to SE Asia is inexcusable.

Plenty of capacity around here.

There wasn't a problem in manufacturing them in the UK, but the cost of importing the individual components incurred extra tax or import duty (cannot remember which), whereas importing the whole completed board didn't!

Since there are no component manufacturers for SMD (that I'm aware of) in the UK, it would simply be assembled here, as opposed to totally manufactured in UK PLC. However, even that would have meant a much higher price, which wouldn't have come down anytime soon since it is a government tax issue that is putting the price up.

Anonymous Coward

It was only a matter of import duty, tax is always only VAT at 20% on final sale.

However AFAIK UK import duty on microprocessors is 0%, and I expect that to be the biggest cost in the Raspberry Pi. Not sure what components their team had problems with duty. They were never very straightforward about it - I'd have preferred some actual numbers...

Even then any import duty doesn't apply in other European countries, it's country specific.

why should they publish every detail of every penny of every componen that goes into it? That just makes life easier for a competitor surely.

Anonymous Coward

A competitor? They've stated numerous times they're not worried about - and actually encourage - competition. Raspberry Pi is a foundation, not a for-profit corporation.

Also note I didn't say they needed to publish every detail of every component. A simple statement saying how much total import duty they were looking at to build it in the UK would be a good start.

Anonymous Coward

Can't beleive the negativity

Always got to be someone whining, seems to be the default for any new electronic product launched these days, when you see the things that have been done in the past with machines like the Sega Dreamcast, I think this has a place.

At these kind of prices this device has numerous possibilities, ok it won't replace a fully specced top of the range server or workstation, and is not designed to, but there are lots of projects for which this device will do quite nicely.

As something which will fit in the pocket quite easily and use TV output together with a flexible or small scale keyboard it would have been handy a few years ago when I was contracting and spending a lot of time in B&B's rather than carting a laptop everywhere, not too bad if it gets nicked or damaged either.

I started learning about computers with an Atari 400 initially with no storage and 16k Ram, the basic principles I learned were applicable on nearly every computer system I have used since from mainframes down to mobiles, I think it's short sighted to dismiss the effect this could have on education if we can get kids as enthused with using IT creatively as people were in the 80's, rather than just using whats plonked in front of them from the likes of Microsoft or Apple

Anonymous Coward

Re: Can't beleive the negativity

How would you connect this to a B&B TV? Most of those don't have any connections, let alone HDMI. Even if you found a TV with RCA socket would you really be able to use any modern system properly on a 525 line PAL screen?

The justifications some people tell themselves are truly mind boggling. Well done RPI marketing team.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Can't beleive the negativity

Thanks for proving my point, good luck with the negativity I'm sure it will serve you well

Anonymous Coward

> The justifications some people tell themselves are truly mind boggling. Well done RPI marketing team.

Yet no one has claimed one could build a TARDIS with the Raspberry Pi! Massive selling point and a British tradition to boot.

Or have they? I might have missed it. Would not be surprised.

Anonymous Coward

What B&B's have you been staying in?, for the last few years everything I've stayed in has had a newish flat screen, with HDMI, maybe you should stop being a cheapskate

Thumb Down

When I am holding one...

THEN I will get excited.

At the moment it is just vapourware. As far as anyone can tell there is a nice round number of units in the country at the moment (zero).

TBH The continual missed deadlines and misleading statements are really eroding their credibility.

Joke

New case now available for Raspberry Pi model B.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-case-Raspberry-Pi-Model-B-professional-Recycled-/290677470826?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopComponents_RL&hash=item43adba366a#ht_500wt_1032

Happy

Re: New case now available for Raspberry Pi model B.

"Unlike the Raspberry Pi Model B, this container was made in a British manufacturing facility."

Love it !

Re: New case now available for Raspberry Pi model B.

Seriously, though, wouldn't this thing be a lot better for most users if it was built into BBC Micro style case?

Sure the uncased board is useful for some of the applications mentioned here, but most users a keyboard is a requirement, and having a tiny unprotected circuit board dangling off 4 cables is just stupid.

Hopefully some enterprising person is already designing one.

Revised shipping date

Revised shipping date today from Farnells.

23rd April.

It'll be in Maplins by then.

Re: Revised shipping date

Latest ETA from Farnells:

W/C 14/05/2012

The HUKDers who bought them because they were cheap will have realised by then that they don't have a clue what to do with them, and they'll be all over gumtree / facebook selling groups by then.

"RASPERY PI 4 SALE (NOT BORA, A3, IPAD)

SELING AS I CANT GET TEH WINDOS ON IT"

Anonymous Coward

PS. Thanks RPi for a fantastic device

No doubt, the F5 DDOS push against Farnell et alia will provide credence to the threat that Anonymous are capable of mounting a cyber-attack 'within the next year or two'.

Not only that, but 2 Pi are being touted which, as any Intelligence Officer worth his salt knows, is code for The Tau Manifesto.

Dangerous times, indeed.

Anon, to give me time to leave a raspbery tart.

Like most things new...

I don't know if anyone else has already said, i couldn't be arsed to trail through the waffle & snide comments. Some people have got some good ideas for what to do with them.

I registered my interest on both sites (being that i purchase from them anyway they already have my details)..

But like anything new, i'm not going to be first to buy one, i'll wait till everyones bought one and they find problems with it and then Raspberry Pi bring out a new revision or workarounds, then i'll buy the updated one.

Shame....

It was a shame that the developers weren't given the option to buy before the slashdot crowd jumped on the bandwaggon. Some of use have been active on the forums for a long time and couldn't get a board. I guess there will be an amount on ebay in the next week when people turn them on and realise that they come without an OS and that they need to dig around to understand what they need to do to get it to even boot.

Silver badge

Re: Shame....

I'm afraid activity on the forum gave no special privileges - there were still 30k people so three to one on the boards anyway, there were even more people on the mailing list that there are on the forum, which makes it 10 to one. As it turned out demand was probably nearer 100 to 1.

And you know what, I don't have a final board either! Neither do most of the rest of the Raspi team.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Shame....

> And you know what, I don't have a final board either! Neither do most of the rest of the Raspi team.

That's because all final boards are still on the way from China, not because of demand...

Silver badge
Pint

Re: Re: Shame....

James - Just a personal congratulations!

ps Remember everyone on el'reg forums are professional grumpy old men.

Thumb Up

I'll wait just a little

until the cased versions are available. And the educational material that the founders want to produce.

Anonymous Coward

Re: I'll wait just a little

> And the educational material that the founders want to produce.

That's being outsourced to India as we speak!

Silver badge

Re: Re: I'll wait just a little

Blimey - I hope not.

Linux

Maybe I'm a bit jaded but I wonder how long before they start turning up on eBay for £££

If supply is less than demand, this will always be the case.

Seconds?

The web servers died within seconds, but they didn't sell out within seconds. Not a small amount of seconds anyway.

Placed my order with Farnell at 7:10am, estimated delivery date of the 12th March. According to an RS press release they expect to receive the units on Friday 9th March, so I assume I hopefully managed to get one of the first batch.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Seconds?

Same here. The statements are misleading at best.

That's the only disappointment I have with the project, it should rest on honesty and good value, not marketing drivel.

Silver badge

Re: Re: Seconds?

The Foundation never said they had sold out in minutes, so not technically marketing, from them at least.

It was probably about a quarter of an hour.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Re: Seconds?

OK, so is the media lying? Because they're getting this info "sold out in seconds!" from somewhere - I hope.

It also wasn't 15 minutes, like the poster above me I got mine at 7am from Farnell, so 1 hour after sales started.

TWB
Thumb Up

Ideal as a generic controller

I can see a market for selling these to all sorts of equipment manufacturers.

Also RPI should look into manufacturing really cheap touchcreens and interface cards to go with them 8 port mains controller??? with 8 inputs? I would love to get one of these and make myself a central heating/hot water/solar controller/programmer which works the way my family think rather than the way these things normally are designed.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Ideal as a generic controller

Equipment manufacturers can just buy the processor - or any other manufacturer's CPU - and integrate it into their devices. Far cheaper and more flexible than buying a whole Raspberry Pi for it, unless you're doing really small runs.

That said for personal use I'd also like to see a touchscreen. But suspect a small HDMI display - PAL composite would't be crisp enough to run a nice looking user interface - and touchscreen combo will be very expensive.

forum

Some good info here

http://www.raspberrypiforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=10

LJK

Why was this a surprise

Fantastic device, but typical UK academia. Why were they surprised?

They are selling a powerful development board at a price that undercuts EVERYONE.

At that price point even professional developers will buy a handful of them to use in lab equipment etc. Even bigger companies will use them for test equipment as internal development costs are so high, etc. etc.

Not to mention, there are millions of geeks out there for whom $35 is small change and they will want one even if it ends up in a drawer, having been hardly used.

Similarly, the price point is so low that it is within the 'throwaway' bracket. I.e. it can be bought by the curious, with no significant risk, even if they never use it.

I think they have done a great job, but I am old enough to remember the supply problems in the early 80s home computer revolution. This caused some manufacturers to go bust when they eventually oversupplied but the technology had by that time moved on.

Lets hope that the 6 years development time of the original is not reflected in follow on products.

Silver badge

Re: Why was this a surprise

I assume Broadcom will produce newer versions of the ARM as they come along and the GPU will only get better and if it becomes popular and standard enough there will be add-on boards and clones.

It would be nice if it became an international success though rather than another 'British' invention.

For some more nostalgia. Who said "one day computers will become bumps on cables"?

Well this low powered 'toy' is 100x the CPU power of a Sparc5 workstation from 20years ago.

Silver badge

Re: Re: Why was this a surprise

Nowadays, with just a single PCB to build, construction to order is much more feasible, so any changes Arm version will just merge in to the supply. It's not like there is a big case, keyboard, lots of other components to worry about/stock up on.

As to the surprise part....it wasn't a surprise that there were a lot of people wanting one. The surprise was that there a LOT of people wanting one. Just a problem with magnitude!

Anonymous Coward

BBC Micro heritage

Model A, Model B, initial production run of only 10,000, massive interest at launch and people unable to get through on the ordering line (ok, so its web and not phone this time), no products actually going to be delivered for a few weeks/months. Looks like they are taking the BBC micro heritage really seriously. Please, can someone assure me that they've launched RasberryPi while it still only exists as a couple of wire-wrap prototypes to complete the historical re-enactment!

Re: BBC Micro heritage

[BBC] "Model A, Model B, initial production run of only 10,000, massive interest at launch and people unable to get through on the ordering line" I'm pretty certain there was no order line. I remember picking up the order form from the stand at the PCW? Show (Novotel Hammersmith) and that as they said they were not accepting orders before 22nd September I posted mine on the 21st. I recieved mine Easter Saturday. Others had to wait even longer. I don't think the wait will be that long this time.

Mail order how quaint!

Happy

wantwantwantwant

Damn, I can think of so many uses for these, every telly in the house will have one and then there's the central heating and then there's the weather station I've been meaning to build and then the internet radio and then the webcam surveillance system and the in car entertainment system and then one each for the kids in their headrests and then the...............

Superb little device and so much respect for the people who designed and brought this device to market.

Nya
Go

Pre-orders for batch two are available now.

Got a call off Farnell this morning for the next batch (you can still place pre-orders on site now the first batch is gone). Supposedly the lasso on phone said we would get them on March 28th. Unfortunately only allowed one per customer though :( there goes the current plan for a mini cluster of them sadly.

This post has been deleted by its author

> Not to mention, there are millions of geeks out there for whom $35 is small change and they will want one even if it ends up in a drawer, having been hardly used.

I thought RS & Farnell were trade only organisations?

Not in the UK they aren't

You just put in your name as the "company name".

The RasPi foundation have a contract with RS+Farnell to allow individuals to order these from any of their global distributors .. however it looks like not every country has implemented that functionality yet.

Anonymous Coward

page live on the 28th!

the page on rs' website for registration was live on the 28th @ 10pm...the day before the launch.

I registered then as I was browsing their site for other items....thinking I would do a bulk order of an MSP430 and some other goodies. RS now say (according to CS) that my details arent in the database..

big fail...to everyone involved.

Anonymous Coward

Cream Pi

When someone ports Android Ice Cream Sandwich to the Raspberry Pi, you'll get a Cream Pi! That will totally sell to the teen market.

Vic
Silver badge

Re: Cream Pi

> you'll get a Cream Pi! That will totally sell to the teen market.

I'm just surprised no-one has come up with something they can call Cool Whip. Pi tastes better with Cool Whip.

"You're eating hair!"

Vic.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.