Feeds

back to article Microsoft explains bland new Windows logo

Microsoft has detailed the thinking behind the latest change in its logo for Windows, saying the new design brings the software back to its roots. “If you look back to the origins of the logo you see that it really was meant to be a window,” blogged Sam Moreau, principal director of user experience for Windows. "Windows really …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

It's not even windows any more!

How ironic that they are still calling it Windows, when along with Gnome 3 and Unity et al, the trend is away from windows altogether - to one task at a time, fully maximised!

FAIL

Re: It's not even windows any more!

Perzackly! Most of my cow-orkers seem to like to run everything full-screen. I'm the only one who sticks with the "messy pile of paper on a desk" metaphor. "Windows" was always a rubbish name for an OS, nowadays its both rubbish an largely irrelevant. Especially "Windows Server"...

Looks suspiciously like the ultra-gaudy blue Nokia Lumia colour scheme. Subliminal association intended perhaps?

Windows

Windows H8

I personally h8 this design. But I don't think it was done in MS Paint. It's got more of a Jobsian minimalist feel to it so I think the designer was using a minimalist Apple tool.

Show these windows designers the door.

Bronze badge
FAIL

Re: Windows H8

Apple's marketing design style may be minimalist, but it's always had a certain amount of elegance to it. The Windows 8 logo has all the elegance of a brick.

As someone who's done graphic design exclusively on Macs since he moved over from "traditional" design in 1985, I find it embarassing that this boring-assed logo was designed by a Mac-based studio, likely with Adobe Illustrator -- not a minimalist tool at all -- which makes it even more embarassing.

It's a Window, not a flag.

Sorted.

Why?

Whats the point? If you like Windows you will buy it. If you don't you won't.

It's not as though they are a really small company in a market of hundreds.

It looks crap, wonder how much it cost?

Cheaper to print

not that they need to worry about that...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.