Feeds

back to article IT guy answers daughter's Facebook rant by shooting her laptop

An angry American IT pro has responded to a rude Facebook post from his daughter by riddling her laptop with a fusillade of bullets and posting video of the shooting on YouTube. Here it is, with the incensed dad leading in by reading out the offending Facebook post and offering a few points in response before emptying his .45 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
Happy

'You can have a new one when you buy one'

Brilliant.

I think this sums it up perfectly.

Mushroom

BOFH

This could be a story straight from the BOFH.

(Well, if the BOFH had children - Simon, if you need more ideas, a BOFH guide to parenting could be a great source...)

Life imitates art?

Anonymous Coward

No "exit wound" footage

What sort of mess did the bullets make leaving the case?

Anonymous Coward

Good shot! Possibly though, the product of a broken home

Basically I'm with the guy... I did notice however she's got a stepmother. Now I'm not saying that's necessarily part of the problem - but she's obviously from a so called "broken home". Sometimes that has an impact (bit like a hollow point :-)) on a kid.

Sure there'll be (lots of) examples of kids from ex marriages where everyone is happy enough with the situation - and she may well be one.

Anonymous Coward

"I did notice however she's got a stepmother. Now I'm not saying that's necessarily part of the problem - but she's obviously from a so called "broken home"."

You might also notice that she is in her Father's custody, not her mother's. Usually in a divorce case, the mother gets custody. So you might then conclude that her mother died and her father remarried instead, so no 'broken home' syndrome.

Either way, she chose to be rude about her parents. Not uncommon: A lot of kids feel slighted when they are made to help around the house. It's part of growing up to learn that thing called 'responsibility'. It is up to the parents to teach the kids that. Otherwise the kid will grow up thinking they are owed stuff just because they are alive. So hats off to the father for making a rather graphic point about property ownership and consequences of continued rudeness. Hopefully she now learns and becomes a better person for it. Hopefully he remembers to reward her if and when her attitude improves.

I expect

They've made enough through YT ads to buy a new one.

And why not use a hammer, rather than wasting bullets at $1 a "pop"

Go

Because it's far more dramatic. And in this case, drama is good.

Silver badge

Bah!

Why not use a hammer?

a) Because it would take forever. The gun causes the real damage where it's wanted - inside - instantly.

2) Because it is less effort. My shoulder would be raging at me for days after I hammered a laptop to bits.

%) Because it is more fun and more satisfying, plus, you can put the thing back in the bedroom for the little shit to find without having to go down on hands and knees with a baggie for the bits.

$1 a pop?

.45ACP is not $1/cartridge. I've bought ammo that was that way, mostly because it was primarily manufactured in countries that no longer exist (and the stuff I bought was American made -- low demand, high quality so high price). You can find it for around $.20/cartridge, even less if you reload your own cartridges.

Thumb Down

@David Eddleman

Plus P hollow points are NOT twenty cents a pop. Performance ammo COSTS!

If you want 30-40 year old military surplus, corrosive primer ball ammunition for your gun, feel free. With sin taxes, a decent .45 is upwards of $600. Buying crap ammo is like buying a Porsche and burning crap gas.

Alert

Premium / Personal Defense ammo is expensive

$1 per round is in the right ballpark for Premium or Personal Defense ammo in the US these days. See http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=FAP45HS1 for a typical example - $20 for 20 rounds, on sale. Even the "cheap" commercial stuff (CCI Blazer) goes for $16 for 50 rounds on sale, or $0.32 per round, and that's FMJ not hollow point. Sure, military surplus can be had cheaper in bulk, but you aren't going to find any quality ammo, much less hollow point, in that price range. Reloading your own still won't get you much cheaper assuming you use a good hollow point slug - they typically cost $0.20 - $0.25 each, so once you add powder and primers, even assuming the cost of re-used brass is zero you are in the $0.30+ range per round once it is all said and done...

El Reg needs a .45 icon...

Payment for chores

Rather than shooting her laptop, her dad should have made her listen to the Godawful song "No Charge" by J.J. Barrie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwWNCVLysKY

I remember that, its foul!

Silver badge
Happy

Wan't it...

...used in hospitals as an emetic?

Bronze badge

Parenting: +100.

Unnecessary use of a lethal weapon when you could have just dropped it into a skip, into a rubbish crusher, into a river, thrown it off the top of the house, stamped on it, hit it with a sledgehammer, etc.: -99

Still, I doubt with modern "yoof" that this will stop her moaning - she'll just be more discrete about it next time and only whinge to her friends that her dad destroyed her laptop too, and she'll "bloody get away from them when I get the chance", etc.

Childcatcher

"bloody get away from them when I get the chance"

At 16, my oldest would regularly spout that to anyone who would listen. Now that he is attending university, he seems happy that he doesn't have to pay for food, rent, etc. and is willing to live by my rules as a condition. Firm, consistent discipline FTW.

Happy

be careful...

he'll be 30 soon with no intention of moving out ;)

Silver badge

He'll soon change his tune...

... when he starts being charged for rent and his share of the bills.

(Although with the cost of housing in much of the UK, that might still work out cheaper than moving out.)

Thumb Up

Rent

Yup - he knows that when he graduates or drops out of college, he will be paying rent - either for his own apartment, or to us, it doesn't matter...

Thumb Up

I have a secret weapon for the young man who refuses to "launch"

It's called "Mom".

Enough motherly badgering, and he'll move out just for peace of mind. It also helps him to remain single for a few years to save money, while he enjoys the peace and quiet.

Sometimes I have to stir her up a bit "Aren't you worried that he won't get a nice girlfriend?" or some such.

When the boy's gone, I'll have to get her a puppy or something -- I don't need that kind of attention focused on me. ;-)

Just to mention to Volodya and others -- pleasing to see that other parents care about their kids enough to be parents. Very reassuring.

All I can say is...

..AAAAAAWWWEEsome! You Americans sure know how to party. I can't think of a better way of dealing with Facebook. The "entitled generation" of Facebook-posting idiots are in for one hell of a shock once they enter the real world--that is, if their parents actually manage to kick their lazy asses out of the family nest once they turn 25.

(Although I will say that a far easier solution would be to just turn the damned internet off. The little brat would be having withdrawal convulsions before the sun set.)

Gold badge
Happy

Ye hah

or as a Puerto Rican once said "These Anglos, they're so hot blooded."

Somehow the words of The Boss come to mind.

"So I bought a .44 magnum, it was solid steel cast

And in the blessed name of Elvis well I just let it blast"

Thumb Up

Now I understand the American right to bear arm's

This has to be the bestest reason to ever own a gun in America. Sadly in the UK we only have power drills.

Excellent edicational leason there, and for a IT professional that sure had to be might rewarding on sooo many levels.

Only aspect not covered is the BOFH angle and that would be that he obtained a broken verbaitum model and shot that one up having the working laptop hidden away that he could then sell to his daughter later on.

Pint

Alternate solution:

Get pneumatic nail gun, and nail it to the wall in her bedroom.

Reminds me of that one home improvement show, where they gave the Brit carpenter a yank nailgun that shoots 16d nails. At first, he was all about those pussy yanks that couldn't pound nails. Then he pulled the trigger, the light came on in his eyes, and I could see that they'd created a nail-shooting monster.

Anonymous Coward

Not a big thing really

So, a stressed-out teen writes a rant they don't want their parents to read as a way to cope with the stress without having to actually do anything that upsets anyone, but their parents find it anyway and humiliate the child to assert their authority.

Happens all the time. Worst case scenario the girl pisses off with the first guy who'll let her earn her keep in bed instead of in the kitchen.

yeh but...,

hmmm, interesting point!

I guess once upon a time she might have written that rant in her diary..... and then done the chores in a huff...

Gun owner here

As someone who shoots pistols for sport, has a rifle for squirrel hunting, one for deer hunting, and two handed down through the family (one a Kentucky long rifle, one a Henry rifle used in the Civil War), I admire his restraint.

Angel

Squirrel Hunting?

Really? They pose such a threat. Glad there are people like you protecting us out there.

Silver badge
Joke

Squirrel hunting

Came across a nest of commie-ass squirrels once, all packing AK47s.

It took me and me buddies hours to root them out with semi-automatics and some C4.

Like G Larson said

first come the squirrels

then the squirrel guns

Silver badge
Facepalm

RE: Squirrel Hunting?

"....They pose such a threat....." Whilst most UK urbanites view the grey squirrel as some sort of charming reminder of wildlife, others consider them pests, even here in the UK (http://www.pestforce.co.uk/squirrel-control.html). In the US, they also refer to ground squirrels (gophers) as just squirrels, and they are considered a major damager of crops (http://westernfarmpress.com/management/control-destructive-ground-squirrels-demands-high-kill-ratio). Whilst in the UK it is unusual to shoot squirrels, we do shoot plenty of other creatures most clueless urbanites (such as yourself) would view as harmless, such as pigeons. And if it escaped your notice, here in the UK we have badger culling schemes, much to the horror of unknowledgeable urbanites.

@ Matt Bryant Re: Squirrel Hunting ?

In the UK the Grey squirrel IS a pest. It's not native to these shores, unlike the Red squirrel, which the Grey is doing its best to wipe out. The Grey needs eliminating, before the Red is lost altogether, it being considered an endangered species already.

Gold badge
Happy

@Dave Lawton

Historically the Grey is an import.

From North America.

It's fatter and more aggressive than the native Red.

I'm not sure it's mating calls are louder as well.

Silver badge

Stop calling them squirrels and call them by their proper name:

Tree rats (with big fuzzy tails).

Pint

Squirrels are tasty.

Mmmmm. Fried squirrel.

Re: Squirrel Hunting?

Its good eating if if you cook it right.

Anonymous Coward

Over the top but proving a point,...

yup, he went over the top, but he has definitely proven his point by doing so. He's also probably helped a few more parents of her friends by scaring the crap out of their kids too. Sometimes talking will just not do and a "short sharp shock" is needed. Imagine how embarassed she is going to be until college (assuming she is the average sociable teen).

And be honest, haven't you always wanted to do that to an errant piece of kit?

Thumb Up

Optional

Good work!

I just hope he doesn't buckle later on. . .

Facepalm

The father...

found out because they have a family dog with a FB account who she didn't block, lol!

Anonymous Coward

Fact..

"mainly because my parents (and clearly this guy felt the same) would like to think they had bought me up better than that!!" It's always the parents fault :)

Coat

@Fact

"bought me up"

How much did it cost?

Flame

I would not have used a gun.

Thermite FTW!

Anonymous Coward

Brilliant!

Thats how to parent! English "parents" could take a lesson here.

WTF?

Got to love them Yanks they are as stupid as sh*t, he could have done something useful like given it to a charity and put a youtube clip of the handover, rather than trying to impress his small endowed fellow gun slingers with a moneyshot.

@Charles Parker I see you are another man who can't tell genitalia from weapons. This must limit your romantic scenarios considerably.

I always love when small minded, timid people make the "gun = Phallus" comparison, more than a few of us American Gun owners don't have a phallus at all. "Or in my case, want one in any form"

So leave off the tired psudeo Freud, and confine your sexual insecurities to a less public forum.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Silver badge
FAIL

Dear The Late Dr. S. Freud,

Try designing a working handgun in the shape of a vagina. Harder than it looks isn't it?

There's a good reason for this: often, things look the way they do because they have to, otherwise they could not function at all. The gun is a classic example of form following function. Ditto for skyscrapers, which look like that because it's a very efficient use of valuable land.

At the other end of the spectrum, you have people who look, talk and act almost exactly like dicks. [Source: the Internet.]

Yrs.,

Me.

Silver badge

@Dana W

Not necessarily "gun = Phallus"?

The guy in the video obviously considers "gun = Balls", which suggests a serious lack of the latter...

Meh

@Charles Parker

Um, I'm a woman. I can't marry my wife in the US. You want to complain about American stupid. complain there. There is a place we actually deserve it.

You really suffer from poor reading comprehension. May I suggest remedial education?

Bronze badge

it depends

Dana W, some US states permit you to do so (unless your knot is currently tied with somebody else). Whether that marriage would be recognized in your place of residence could be another question. On the other hand, Maryland recognizes them, but does not permit them.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.