back to article The best sci-fi film never made: Also-rans take a bow

We're obliged to all those readers who took the time to throw over their nominations for the best sci-fi film never made, and we're delighted to report that we've whittled the contenders down to a final 50. We simply waded through all your emails and comments and picked those titles which had received the most support. On …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Petrea Mitchell
      Happy

Anime? Sort of...

It actually is pretty good as anime, or a major constituent of one.

The series "Eureka 7" was basically Blood Music + Solaris + giant robot combat. And in case the influences weren't obvious enough, there was a secondary character named Dr. Greg Egan, nicknamed "Bear"...

1. sandriderman

The Gap Sequence

I missed the chance to vote. I love Stephen Dolaldson's 5 gap books, far too much material for 1 film.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

A testament to our Reg readers communal geek-ness...

That a list of 50 sci-fi books that DID NOT make the final list of candidates for the "Best Sci-Fi Film Never Made" would elicit 117 (now 118!) comments!!

NERD RAGE!!!!!!

Poindexter icon--because he is one of us.....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

Philosophical questions

1. A lot these are comics, some even only published in weekly serials and not even graphic-novelled - do we count comics as valid sci-fi literature now?

2. Is the fact that "The New Statesmen" (Genetic Engineering / Pop Culture missive; not Rick Mayall!) from the 2000AD offshoot Crisis (circa 1988) is missing from the list because is too esoteric or because it appears in the final 50? I await the answer with a worm on my tongue (nanu nanu).

1. Petrea Mitchell
      Go

Re: #1

"[D]o we count comics as valid sci-fi literature now?"

Yes, we do. There's been a Hugo category for them since 2009.

(And Watchmen won a Hugo way back when, too, but that was a one-off category that was basically designed just to give Watchmen a Hugo without properly facing up to the debate of a graphic novel category, so we generally don't count that one.)

2. Kimo

It's the story...

...not the format. There are a few excellent SciFi comics and/or graphic novels. And more than a few SciFi books that are complete rubbish. The quality of the work is unrelated to the format it is published in.

4. Dave Lawton
    Megaphone

A reminder

Don't forget that these are the ones that DIDN'T make the top 50.

Check out http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2011/04/15/sci_fi_film/ for some titles which possibly weren't emailed

5. Jolyon Smith
    Coat

Missing Titles

Heinlein:

Job

The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress (there was a screenplay in the works for this at one time)

Stranger In A Strange Land (I know that Tom Hanks had this one optioned at one point)

Variable Star (Ok, perhaps more Spider Robinson than Heinlein, but still)

Spider Robinson:

Time Pressure

Banks:

Surface Detail (I would LOVE to see the hells on the big screen!)

Consider Phlaebas (can't be bothered to check the spelling right now)

Mikhail Bulgakov:

The Master and Margharita (some passing/slight similarities with Heinlein's "Job", to the extent that I wonder if Heinlein was influence by this at all)

1. Deeply Dippy
      Happy

Spider Robinson

Stardance by Spider Robinson. Comes complete with own stage direction

6. Rattus Rattus

While I am...

...a bit disappointed to see the work of Peter F. Hamilton and Alistair Reynolds failed to make the cut, I note with interest some of Iain M Banks's best work has not appeared on the runner-up list.

7. Winkypop Silver badge
    Coat

Huntin' season...

I'm hunting Rare-book !!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hang on...

Where's Judge Dredd?

1. HFoster

Stallone movie

There was already that ghastly Sylvester Stallone vehicle. Maybe it should be done properly though...

9. Michael 28
    Happy

new one coming..

"Remake or reboot? Or (shudder) sequel? That will be the question facing cinema audiences confronted by a new, big screen Judge Dredd movie that is to be filmed in South Africa in 2012 . . .

Most people (particularly in the States) will probably know Judge Dredd from the 1995 movie directed by Danny Cannon, and starring Sylvester Stallone, Diane Lane, Rob Schneider, Armand Assante and Max von Sydow. The character however has its roots in the weekly British comic book 2000 AD, where he appeared as long ago as 1977!"....

There's also a fanfilm - Judge Minty! http://www.judgeminty.com/

Would prefer a Ridley Scott directed film though. Blade Runner always reminds me of Robohunter, especially the Verdus series, before "hoagy" showed up.

10. Nat Pryce
    Alien

No Hinterlands?

Sad that Hinterlands by William Gibson didn't make the cut. That's one of the best stories about alien-ness I've read.

11. Stuart Halliday

Not sci-fi

Since when was the tales if Thomas Covenent sci-fi??

May a Raver bite off your head or Kevin Dirt pollute your senses!

(Childhood End is of course the best Sci-fi film never made)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

No Octavia Butler? Especially with all the white-washing going on these days?

This list is a fail.

13. Writincat

Some Bigs missing...

Must be in turnaround-

Enders Game

Chilhooods End

Ringworld

Zanth Series

I mean come on.

14. Deeply Dippy

Short stories - ideal for filming ?

Surface Tension by James Blish

1. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge
      Boffin

Anything.....

by James Blish would be good. How about Doctor Mirabilis...?

15. E 2

WRT Frank Herbert

Frank Herbert will be remembered 200 years from now as one of the strongest writers and most subtle thinkers amongst 20th century sci-fi writers.

Which is exactly why none of his books can be made into good movies - his books make sense only when the reader reads between the lines. Movies do not excel at presenting the stuff that lies between the lines.

16. robski

Books to films

For me it would have to be chasm city written by Alastair Reynolds to be directed by JJ Abrams

17. Ian Stephenson
    WTF?

wtf?

What happened to the poll on Thursday?

18. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge
    Go

Jules Verne's...

'Master of the World' might be fun. Especially if you could borrow ThrustSSC or the Bloodhound for the car....

19. Parsifal
    FAIL

Now Next Week

I guess the Reg must run on Blizzard 'Soon' time, since the follow up hasn't appeared yet :)

20. Slabfondler
    Heart

No John Brunner?

One of the finest distopean sci-fi writers ever, a visionary *and* a bloody brit, and none of his works can even manage to get on the failed to get on the final list list? Sad.

I wonder if his best is Kindlized?

21. Peet McKimmie
    FAIL

"The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant"...?

In what alternative universe does that qualify as "Sci-Fi"? It's pure fantasy fiction. I wish people would get these genres separated in their heads before posting.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.