back to article So, what's the best sci-fi film never made?

Note: Nominations are now closed. Thanks for the stampede of sugestions. We're now ploughing through the lot to make the final selection for the poll. Watch this space... We know a lot of you are sci-fi buffs, and have your own personal feelings on what would make the ultimate sci-fi movie. The recent news that Paramount will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Eponymous Cowherd

A suggestion

Ian M Banks' "Consider Phlebas". Not the best Culture novel, but probably the most "cinematic".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coffee/keyboard

Definitely

Consider phlebas... It's just so...cinematic!!!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Blakes 7

They should make an multi-part Blakes 7 epic on he scale of Star Wars, PotC, LOTR,etc

1. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD

Yep... totally agree

Redo Blakes 7 into a series of films. Yes, I was always pretty fond of that lovely white ship.

When I were a wee lad, I often wondered who'd win, Enterprise or Liberator...

3. ClickMonster
    Go

Stainless Steel Rat

Humour, action, story line simple enough for easy rewrite to screenplay. What's not to like?

(and yes, I also sent an email)

4. Ian 56
    Alien

William Gibson / Alien

If you search the intertubes you can find a screenplay written by William Gibson for an Alien sequel, the hook being that the Aliens reach Earth and much hilarity^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H mayhem ensues.

I've got a copy somewhere - it's effin' good.

5. Sonny Jim
    Stop

No more Asimov please

I found his stuff to be misogynistic, or maybe I missed the point. Also the whole thing of 'Robot is built, robot goes bad, robo-psychologist figures out obscure logic puzzle to make Robot be good' gets a little boring after a while.

6. Dave Walker 1
    Happy

Definitely need more of Slippery Jim DiGriz

I am surprised that no-one has tried to do a Stainless Steel Rat film yet - it's not like there weren't enough stories to choose from

Or if you want to go even sillier, Bill, The Galactic Hero....

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Or even...

..."Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers"!

7. Ken MAC

Alastair Reynolds perhaps

The Revelation Space series could be good just give the melding plaque backdrop to any european designer but which one would you do

Pushing Ice well thought through but doesn't have a heroic hollywood ending

House of Suns now there's a possibility...

Century Rain an Alternative history in Paris, or is it!

MAC

1. johnnytruant

House of Suns

is great. not sure how well it would translate to screen.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Neal Asher yet.

Neal Asher. The Skinner sequence would make a good, if gruesome, film.

2. StooMonster
      Thumb Up

+1

Was going to say Revelation Space series, but you did already.

3. MJI Silver badge

How did I forget these?

Chatted a little to the author by email once as well.

Would be excellent films

8. Yeah, about that thing?
    Happy

A Fire upon The Deep

A Vernor Vinge Classic - although training dog/hyenas to work co-operatively with the talking plants may be a challenge...

+1 for any Stainless Steel Rat movies...

1. Petrea Mitchell
      Thumb Up

Absolutely!

My first choice in the moderately-hard-sf area. And animal training is no issue in the age of cheap CGI.

9. Rodrigo Valenzuela
    Megaphone

Another vote for...

Ringworld, by Larry Niven.

And the sequel, The Ringworld Engineers... but that's it, no ringworld throne or ringworld children

R

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Riight

nine princes in amber / guns of avalon / rest of the corwin cycle (Zelazny ftw)

Neuromancer / count zero / mona lisa overdriver (if done well)

Consider Plebas / excession / use of weapons / any culture novel

also the Algebraist

stainless steel rat

Elric of melnibourne / other moorcock (more fantasy but what the hell)

Stranger in a strange land

the Forever War

Ringworld / some other known space novel

Canticle for leibniz

plenty of others i can't think of right now.

1. Routerbod
      Thumb Up

Your luck is partially in....

The Forever War is "in development"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1307468/

Which probably means it will never come to pass :(

1. Michael C

more

So is Neuromancer and Ender's Game...

2. ducatis'r us
      Happy

chocolate ones?

'canticle for leibniz' would presumably be about biscuits?

A canticle for Leibowitz on the other hand...

11. Paul_Murphy

I sent mine in am email

But I forgot Nightfall - though it's not really long enough I guess.

For me it's 'Ringworld' and the other Known Space books.

Iain M Banks

Snow Crash.

I don't know if mentioning 'Bill the Galactic hero' would be a good idea though, or 'Phules Company', or 'Johnny and the Bomb' come to that.

ttfn

1. Rattus Rattus

@Paul_Murphy

I think Nightfall would make a fantastic movie. Unfortunately, it's already been made, into a shitty movie.

12. GrantN

Kim Stanley Robinson

I always thought Robinson's Mars Trilogy (Red, Green & Blue Mars) would make a good series of movies if it was done properly. But considering the wide scope of the books, it's highly unlikely that any movie or series could do it justice. And it's a lot of hard science, with just a couple of revolutions thrown in occasionally -- so there's probably not enough action there for mainstream consumption.

Still one of my favourite series of books though.

1. Petrea Mitchell
      Stop

Miniseries perhaps

I don't think it's possible to squeeze these into movies, but they would make a terrific miniseries if done properly.

1. Rattus Rattus

@Petrea Mitchell

There would be nothing "mini" about that series. Maybe as three seasons of a TV show?

13. booboo
    Black Helicopters

Deus Ex

The big daddy of non linear PC gaming. That awesome story combined with today's CGI

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time Traders

By Andre Norton. very dated by now but a decent script writer should be able to update it while staying true to the original

15. Routerbod
    Happy

So many choices.....

Well, Ringworld would look great (but the sequel would probably film better).

The Dread Empires Fall by Walter Jon Williams would be pretty spectacular.

Something by Iain M Banks? Excession would probably be my choice. Definitely not Feersum Endjinn or The Algebraist as they would be just a little (a lot) weird.

The Lost Fleet?

Ok, I admit it, pretty much anything with HUGE space battles....

1. MJI Silver badge

Feersum Endjinn

I would like an English translation of it!

16. hugo tyson

Of course we're talking about it here...

Endymion.

Any of the Laundry gothic horror books, I want to see a demonically-possessed EE lightning!

That huge mad dark triliogy with the Inhibitors; now *there's* an implacable enemy.

17. technome
    Thumb Up

It's got to be Iain M Banks' "Consider Phlebas'.

The opening scene; the attack on the temple; the fight under the hovercraft; the CAT shooting its way out of the small-bay; the ice-berg; taking an orbital down with grid-fire; the train. It's made for the big screen. It's the ultimate space-opera, with weird aliens, hyper-intelligent machines, rocket-ships and ray-guns. There's even a plot twist where the "evil" culture turn out to be the good guys (oops, spoiler, sorry).

But it doesn't stop there. Once the culture has been introduced, the sequel potential using it as a framework is fantastic; Excession, Use of Weapons; The Player of Games; Look to Windward...

And Iain's on record as saying that he wouldn't mind (too much) if they stapled a happy ending onto it. You know: Horza survives and sees the error of his ways; hooks up with Balveda, who recruits him into SC. Job done. Hollywood'll love it!

1. Michael Xion
      Happy

Hmmmm

I always thought horse became the ship mind at the end. A bit out there but the ultimate chameleon. Also. That whole sequence in the train tunnels could be done very original alien spooky.

18. Robert Halloran
    FAIL

"Rensman"?

This anime was made to trade on the Star Wars frenzy of the 80s, had *nothing* to do with the original storyline other than borrowing the characters' names, and so p*ssed off Smith's family they took back the book rights for years to prevent any other such travesties.

Finding a VHS copy at a convention, I promptly dropped the $20, and broke the cassette over my knee in front of the huckster.

19. Conrad Longmore
    Troll

Alien 3

It would be great if they'd followed up Aliens with a third move to tie up what happened when Ripley, Newt and Hicks got back home..

..and I always thought that The Matrix could have done with a sequel too.

20. Sartori
    Happy

Letters and digits and all that

Well, seeing as Muppets From Space has already been made I guess it'll have to be Rama! :)

21. illusio
    Happy

Julian May / Peter F Hamilton

Julian May's Saga of the Exiles

Peter F Hamiltons Pandora's Star & Judas Unchained.

1. Gordon 10
      Thumb Up

Both

++1 to both

2. Nuffnuff

ozzy ozzy ozzy

oi oi oi

22. Mike Brown

my fav non-films

why just books? what about computer games? elite? knights of the old republic? mass effect? halo? half life?

or music? venice in peril by rondo viziano (or how ever thats spelt!)?

but books: stainless steel rat gets my vote. or the david feuntuch series, midshipmans hope (i may have the name slightly wrong....) or enders game?

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
      Go

There was a novelette for Elite...

..."The Dark Wheel" by Robert Holdstock: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Wheel

Maybe that could be developed.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

huh?

Is reading that difficult?

3. Rattus Rattus

@Mike Brown

Mass Effect would be a fantastic movie, and good news - it's already in the works, with Bioware staff involved in it. Although, I bet they're going to pretend Shepard was male...

4. MJI Silver badge

Keep games as games

Causes nothing but hurt.

Can't think of any SF game which would translate to a film without being butchered.

HL2 - would we see Gordon Freeman?

Not SF but there is a lot of upset currently over a proposed Uncharted film, unsuitable actors (just use voice cast) and script NOTHING like game. Would be better toedit together some game play and the cut scenes.

23. Blofeld's Cat
    Pint

How about...

"The Difference Engine" by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling, if only for the mechanical computers.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Suggstions

the Skylark series?

Voyage of the space beagle. (The only problem with this, is of course how many people would claim its an Alien rip off rather than the other way around.)

The Dark night stuff by Mr Hamilton, (The Reality dysfunction et al)

How about a proper film of Starship troopers. (I did enjoy the film, but it didnt have much in common with the book)

Slightly more modern:

Space captain Smith

The Lost fleet.

25. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Anything

by Iain M Banks would be nice, particulalrly some of the Culture novels.

The Algebraist would make a very nice stand-alone Sci-Fi film too.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Piers Anthony

Bio of a Space Tyrant - All volumes

27. Dr Insanity

does it have to be the best movie never made?

how about the best series never made? Would have to be Firefly season 2, or Firefly season 3... Maybe Firefly season 4? Can anyone else see where I might be going with this?

Seriously though, '48 by James Herbert could make for a fun Sci-Fi/Thriller/Horror type movie

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What not to make

No more Philip K Dick short story adaptations please!

He wrote some fun, if weird and strangely dated, stories; but they won't all stretch to movie length or take to Hollywood treatment. I think the good ones have been done already.

1. Michael Xion

What's that Perky Pat? More Chew-Z

The K W Jeter sequels to Blade Runner would be good if done properly. Anyone been to Scapa Flow? Sounds seriously spooky.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.