back to article Stop sexing up IT and give Civil Servants Macs, says gov tech boss

The man in charge of the government's IT efficiency drive has told MPs that Whitehall should use more Apple Macs while castigating the previous government for trying to sex-up IT projects. Ian Watmore, COO of the Efficiency and Reform Group, told the public administration committee that Labour had poured cash into computer …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Simon.W
    WTF?

Maude sack this geezer now

Anyone who makes statements like this, before they've even understood the entire ICT estate, shows what a know nothing bonzo they are. Most defintely got to the level he did by being promoted out of harms way. Unfortunately he's now been given a role where he can start doing harm again. OMG

2. Fuzzygoth
    IT Angle

What a Clownshoe

Wow, that guy is seriously special, they could buy then but I can gareentee you no one will

support them.

Fuzzy

3. Lord Lien

I've done MAC/P.C support...

... for years now & people always seem to think "The grass is greener" if you were to go Apple.

Apple churn out just as many defective hardware units as HP/Dell & all the other hardware venders do.

If you want to be cost effective & still have the stability of OS X, the only way to go is Linux. Fedora or Ubuntu are my personal choices.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

I have a mac at home and it's really good.

I have a mac at home and it's really good. That's all I wanted to say.

5. Tom 13

Damn! I keep looking at the titles for the April Fool's jokes,

but when I look at the posting dates on the articles, it isn't the right day.

6. cocknee
    WTF?

despair in government IT

As someone pointed out, he and others are part of the Government IT problem and with throw-away views like that it's no wonder they're in the mire.

Having working in gov't IT for a long time it's full of career civil servants marking their time until pension "I used to be a programmer you know" is what you often hear - maybe back in Cobol days - not much use (I know the systems are still there) in a modern architecture and strategy.

Most projects are in paralysis due to bureacracy, inaction and stupidity. It's easy to blame the ISV's but they're not charities and they'll only work better and smarter when their customers and contracts make them do it.

I could cite so many examples of total cock-ups, failures that have cost millions due to the steerage from people like Whatmore and other IT Chiefs in Whitehall. He's toadying up to his new boss by blaming the previous administration. He's got a bloody cheek blaming others when his (and others like him) fingerprints are all over the crimes!

Back to the issue at hand - what a twat.

a) thin client is where a lot of large departments should be heading to reduce cost and shorten the time to delivery of applications (usually 6-9 months at best)

b) as much as I like MACs - it's style of substance; what business software other than office runs on them? There's plenty that don't! Whatever you think of Windows clients, everything run's on it. For the mack apologist going on about Web is the answer - no it's not!!

7. Nigel Hamlin
    Unhappy

Good to see all the usual levels of ill-informed bigotry here!

I can understand that there are Windows-hating Mac users, just as there are Mac-hating Windows users, but do they all really have to display their prejudices quite so overtly? The truth is, even in government circles, and certainly in commercial offices, both platforms, and others, have roles to play.

Maybe The Register should be a lot more selective about just which people they allow to post comments here and save the rest of us the trouble of reading the puerile bullshit that so many choose to write.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like