back to article Apple turns the flamethrower on Android

The details of Apple's patent offensive are now public, and it's clear that while HTC is the target, it's Google's Android that has got Cupertino so annoyed. The patents on which Apple is claiming infringement include obvious things such as the use of a gesture to unlock and rotate the screen based on device orientation, but …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

prior art

Most of their claims have prior art, so their patents are actually invalid. The event driven system and proxy object ideas came from xerox and apple just copied them without paying for them. The automatically highlighted clickable link idea and the codec url in the media stream is part of the html standard, somewhere from the beginning of the web and both of them were invented by different companies or research groups, who (like xerox) choose not to patent them. For example, the highlighting support existed since ericsson added text support to their mobile phones and that was quite a few years ago.

2. E 2
    Thumb Down

wrt creators and consumers of event notifications

Prior art. All over the place. Everywhere. Nuke the patent office, this is ridiculous.

3. EvilKurisu
    WTF?

wtf

An apt name for a company that's rotten to the core !

4. Alex 83
    Terminator

gesture patents

it makes me so insensed that you can patent a gesture what a stupid f#$@%ing idea. I think i will head down the patent office and patent iwalk

a person moves their leg and places in front of the other. This motion may be repeated

numerous times. The purpose of this new gesture allows the person to travel from point a to

point b.

words do not really describe how hard i want to kick the us patent office in the balls.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Multi-touch

Good overview, Bill...but you're missing the salient point. Of course, some of those patents are foolish.

I think what set off Apple is a secret agreement that Google would not activate multi-touch gestures on their Android handsets for a given period. Notice that Google just updated -- maybe a tad early -- the Nexus One to enable multi-touch.

Bosom buddies no more.

6. VirtualMark

patenting a gesture?

are they serious? what next, patenting a mouse click? apple suck big time. america also sucks big time, this patent system is extremely flawed. a patent should only be granted for a new piece of technology, not for a gesture!

7. Thomas 18
    Grenade

sue the USPTO

You should be able to counter-sue the USPTO for damages when some patent troll attacks you with a retarded patent that should never have been granted in the first place. Maybe then they would be more careful when assigning them.

8. Jack 23
    Thumb Down

Actually incredible

I find Apple's attitude difficult to comprehend. As the article says, there will be 10 years of shitslinging and then some dollar will change hands, and by then, the actual problem will have gone away.

Also, half the processes stated as against the patents are performed by any number of different softwares.

The only party who looks bad in this case is Apple. What a bunch of good-for-nothings. I hope the rest of the industry destroys them for this.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Prior Art...

"A system in which a software module called an event consumer can indicate an interest in receiving notifications about a specific set of events, and it provides an architecture for efficiently providing notifications to the [event] consumer"

This sounds a whole lot like Amiga Exec messaging system (Commodore Amiga O/S circa 1983 or 84).

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Good for Apple

Nice to see Apple being aggressive for a change.

The company exists to make money, after all. Sue the opposition; it's the American way. Forget all the touchy-feely crap, just go for the jugular.

11. Roy Cunningham
    FAIL

Let those without sin...etc etc

Let's not forget Creative Labs succssfully sued for patent infringement for the iPod user interface which Apple quite happily stole and made many millions $ from. Apple probably wouldn't be where they are now if it wasn't for that blatant patent theft.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like