back to article Apple voids warranties over cigarette smoke, users say

A Mac user claims that Apple voided her warranty and refused to repair her machine because it was "contaminated" with cigarette smoke. The claim mirrors a similar report from last year, when another user complained that the Jobsian cult wouldn't service a system due to the "health risks of secondhand smoke." Both complaints …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
Flame

Environ-mental hazards to consumers...

In breaking news, Apple refuse to repair machines which have been used by 'climate deniers'.

A spokesman said - "These machines could be used to support thoughts which threaten humanity. This is a crime ..."

Joke

Damn Apple...

I took my Macbook BASE jumping with me last month and the damn thing up and failed. Apple said they wouldn't cover it under warranty.

J 7
Alert

fag smoke IS toxic

As someone who has worked in both computer repair and the manufacture of research chemicals, I for one know that cigarette tar IS toxic/carconogenic and I for one will not touch machines that show any significant degree of contamination with it

I used to work for Time Computers and they had the same rule: if the machine was deemed a health hazard it did not get fixed. It was sent back to the customer to clean out and remove any nicotine tar traces. Once that was done, then we'd repair it

its also worth pointing out that fag smoke also is responsible for a lot of system failures: it causes havoc with CD floppy and hard drives, and can short out motherboard sockets. I've also seen many cases where it has caused PSUs to flashover and burn with quite significant fire hazards

During my chemical career we used to take nicotine tar, and extract chemicals from it and sell the result as a carcinogenic standard. Basically it was used to test how toxic different batches of tobacco were. The stuff we produced had a known toxicity: it was known exactly how quickly an animal population subjected to it would take to develop cancers. (note the time period was days. Not weeks or months or years. Days)

Tar and residue from smoking is a biohazard and must be treated as such. To do otherwise opens an employer to all kinds of legal problems from a Health and Safety perspective

Boffin

a good trick

RE: a popular "poisoned dagger" weapon coating in the middle ages.

That would be a very good trick since nicotine comes from tobacco, which is native to the New World. The Middle Ages were over by the time of Columbus.

Coffee/keyboard

Dont knock nicotine

Its a cool poison, that is absorbed through the skin, so why should a tech risk that , as much as i dislike the jobsian utopia , i hate smokers more

PS a strong "Tea" made from a ciggy or two is the best organic pesticide for red spider mite but use gloves and do it out side

mines the keyboard with nicotine stains on !!!!!

WTF?

Nicotine Is Not A Poison

... at the exposure level present by merely touching something with smoke residue on it.

What these employees did is the equivalent of stating "We can't work on your PC because it has painted parts"... because when the paint was applied there would have been fumes that go against OSHA standards, nevermind that it is dry now and everything around them had some manufacturing process that wouldn't be safe to work in if it weren't contained.

It is not clear that smoke caused the fault and actually it is not likely. It would be more likely smoke caused dust accumulation at an accelerated rate and ultimately lack of cleaning dust out caused a fault. Proper electrical contacts would become coated with smoke residue but not where they contact each other, I can't even begin to enumerate how many tar covered systems I've seen that besides the other problem unrelated to smoke residue, they worked fine. Certainly buildup from tar can be a problem eventually but it's pretty unlikely within the warranty period for a system even if the person chain-smokes right next to it.

Silver badge

As an ex-smoker ...

I'm laughing my ass off.

You idiots actually defending smoking need to get a grip.

Smoking isn't useful, it has no real purpose, it plays hell with your senses and metabolism, and is even worse for your stamina. It makes you stink (seriously, you reek, even after showering), it causes many major health problems, ultimately it kills you ... and not only that, you couldn't quit smoking, even if you wanted to[1]!

You are ADDICTED, just as much as any other narcotic addict. The only difference is that tobacco is legal.

Enjoy feeding your jones, smokers. Just don't try to share it with me.

During the meanwhile, I'm down to two cups of coffee a day (from 4 pots a day a couple years ago) ... You may now all laugh your asses off at the caffeine addict ... Current goal is to be caffeine-free before the end of 2010 ...

[1] If you really wanted to quit smoking, you would. I know, I did. The only person you are fooling is yourself. I'll continue working on the coffee thing.

WTF?

that is SO NOT the point...

The point here my friend is not if smoking is good or bad, everyone knows is bad, The point is that if Apple can refuse tech support on such a weak reason as somebody "smoke near the machine" thats a can of worms that nobody wnat to open. Specially US consumers, whats next? Warranty not covering "fishy smell"? The kids owner had the flu? or whatever...

Apple is way out of line, is they are worried about the hazard of "absorving" nicotine by contact or breathing then USE GLOVES and a FREAKING MASK.

Gold badge
Happy

@Sarah Bee

Well spotted. I had one immediately after posting that and it calmed me down immensely.

I'd give up smoking. Unfortunately every time I consider it I see something from the anti-smoking brigade that winds me up, so I have to have a fag to avoid doing something illegal involving a roomful of rabid non-smokers and a fire axe.

It's a vicious circle.

Stop

chill out dammit!

Wow, a grand total of two people making this claim out of how many tens, nay hundreds of thousands of Macs serviced every year? Could it possibly be that these are extreme cases?

You lot need to throttle back on your over-reacting.

What short memories we have.

I was sure, by now, I'd have seen a reference to http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/13/ventblockers/page3.html

Unhappy

Argh!

That particular ventblocker is just plain nasty. Goodness knows what the smell is like, too..

Grenade

Smoke? SMOKE?

Excuse me, Do you mind if I smoke?

I don't care if you burn.

Ahhhh Ha Haa Ha Haaaaaaaaaa

Kick the smokers out to the gutter where they belong and then wee on their faces.

Flame

What a load of shit...

... mostly from non-smokers and the ever zealous ‘reformed’ smokers channeling their guilt and self-loathing into hatred of others. First of all, nicotine is not tar and to all intents and purposes isn't even present in the tar (we wouldn't bother smoking otherwise as the point is to breathe the smoke, extract the nicotine and exhale most of the rest). Secondly, the ash is a much bigger issue for computers and you have to smoke very heavily, very close to it and over extended periods to deposit significant amounts of it in the machine or else the machine has to be practically wind-tunnel like in its draw strength with a very cluttered interior or crap exhausting. Thirdly, the ash and assorted other rubbish is just the same as dust (more toxic, maybe even mildly radioactive if you have sensitive enough equipment but otherwise...) and the problems that occur with dust also occur with dust that is partly or mostly tobacco ash, I.E. this is absolutely routine.

I get that smoking smells horrible (it does to me, too and I smoke - hence I smoke outside and very occasionally in my car / van but always with the window full down and the fans on high to blow it clear of the interior) but you idiots are vastly overstating your case and aye, I have serviced many, many PCs including one belonging to an old mentor of mine who use to smoke unfiltered ‘Senior Service’ cigarettes at the rate of forty to sixty a day, and spent most of his day coding at the machine; the exterior was badly stained, there was about half an inch of ash and dust on surfaces that were horizontal when the PC was used and the fans were badly worn from pushing the extra weight around when spinning but there was no ‘gooey tar build up’ (get real folks, that doesn't come from cigarette smoke, it'll be vapourized fat or sugar) and some gentle directed air took it all off the board while a simple vaccum cleaner (remember those?) cleaned the case out. I didn't clean the exterior up, though, why bother?

Apple are probably stuffed on this, to be honest; it's not a biological hazard, it's not even a chemical hazard, really, and the warranty doesn't specifically exclude it, so I'd think it unlikely they succeed in court with an argument that smoking near the computer was the cause of the failure or that doing so was somehow an unusual or extreme environment. I also think the employee is on a hiding to nothing with the exposure claim.

As for mister “Smokers take death for granted” anyone who doesn't is in a for large, final and fatal surprise; death comes for you, too (barring some currently speculative medicine advances).

Silver badge

"Do you mind if I smoke?"

"Not if you don't mind my wife throwing up!"

Apologies (and a big "thank you!") to the late, great Vivian Stanshall :-)

http://www.vivarchive.org.uk/articles/playscript.htm

Pirate

Little Sympathy

Years ago, I opened up a Mac owned by a ship's master to upgrade memory and hard drives including a non-functional Zip drive. The inside of the machine was a tawny brown and the stickiest stuff I've ever handled. The captain was a smoker and apparently a heavy smoker. We tried several cleaning solutions without much luck. We concluded the Zip drive was fouled by the same sticky substance.

That machine would have made a great object lesson for anyone who smoked. After that experience, I wouldn't honor warranties contaminated in smoke environments.

FAIL

well..

if youre STUPID enough to buy crapple tatt..

btw, lol at second hand smoke - fucking ridiculous.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums