back to article Historian slams 'absolutely crazy' UK time zone

Noted historian Sir Alistair Horne has described as "absolutely crazy" Blighty's refusal to fall into line with the continental European time zone. Speaking to the Beeb's Today programme, Sir Alistair admitted that while putting the clocks back an hour this Sunday might benefit Scottish dairy famers, giving them some extra …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Happy

New Zealand leads

We are 12 hours ahead of GMT or UTS (to satisfy the French) , but we are about 30 years behind.

Our cockies don't like daylight saving either. Especially the ones down Dunedin way .

(Dunedin is the south seas Edinburgh)

Bod

No need for double summertime

Just change work hours so people go to work at 5 in the morning during the summer and knock off by lunch.

Simples. And then at midday, the sun is still bang overhead as it should be.

No need to change clocks.

WTF?

Missing the point?

Err, I thought the point was that some crackpot historian is telling us to shift time zones?

Isn't that a bit like a painter and decorator giving us ideas on how to save the economy?

He will doubtless know the original reasons for BST. He will also know about GMT. I suspect that the only piece of information he still needs is this: how easy it is to give up his stupid idea after receiving a very strong kick in the knackers.

Joke

Sir Alistair is a crap Scotsman...

If Sir Alistair's only argument for changing the UK's timezone and daylight-saving aids are that the Euros "do things differently", then maybe he should move to France or Spain.

There is nothing new about crap Scots moving abroad, just consider Balliol, Bonny Prince Charlie, and other sell-outs. Just like the Bonny Prince, Sir Alistair (Horny) Horne is trying to invade our peace with his poncey French ways. In fact, I would assume that this guy has a French accent.

And what is his problem with a bit of daylight saving? Perhaps he hates the extra hour in bed. Or maybe he is suggesting that Scotland, (or even just Scotland's dairy farmers) have a timezone all of their own. So (as a "99%" Scot, (no-one is 99% anything, he should know, and he claims to be a scientist)) he's saying he wants his own time-zone? And England should Eurotize?

In fact, what is this idiot saying at all. Maybe he just hates jet-lag, or is sicking of changing his watch when he returns from Spain. Please.

Give up, Sir Alistair. Go home to Spain or France.

Silver badge
Boffin

@Stuart Gray

Slightly off course. Yes, the time zone is best measured in 15-degree increments, but the prime meridian becomes the CENTER of the zone, which means the time measurement should only go for 7 1/2 degrees in both directions (so that they combine to form the 15-degree-wide zone). Which tells me the following: Germany and Italy are correct relative to England, France and Spain should be aligned with England (though France never will and Spain is more inclined to follow France than England), and Portugal is correct relative to Spain but not overall (they should be one hour behind England, but again...)

Grenade

@charles 9

Would that be centre or are you American or German. Is that a thought on changing the design? Or how you assume it works? You would be wrong on both accounts The merdian is zero. Every 15 dregrees of longitutude either adjusts by one hour in addition going eastwards or reduces by one hour going westward. As there are 24 15 degress in 360 degrees of a full circle. Each degree is subsequently divided by 60 mins and these minutes by 60 secs. A knot (one nautical mile) per hour is equal to travelling 1 sec either longitudinally or latitudally.

The French vied over the ownership as we were both large navies at the time - though we built the accurate ship's chronometer and told them where to go and 5 days and 204 years ago we backed that up and began the end of their little empire building jaunt at Trafalgar.

WTF?

wat

The same thing happens on the continent. They go from CET to CEST (Central European Time to Central European Summer Time) - at the same time as us in fact! So what is the issue here? Is he saying we should be changing the reference time so that we aren't GMT any more? Or that we shouldn't move the clocks forward/backward, in which case, it'll be a bit more confusing when half the year we're on the same time as France/Germany and half the time we aren't. Or is he saying nobody in the world should move the clocks for daylight saving (DST is also used in most of America, Canada, Russia and many other places)?

The article is all over the place. Blighty falling into line with the rest of Europe has nothing to do with Scottish dairy farmers! And as others have said, GMT is the reference time (although now called UTC). There is no need to fall into line with the rest of Europe - for example we shouldn't have the same time as Poland and everything East of it. If anything, France and Spain should fall into line with us, and the reason they don't is because they are joined to the rest of Europe with land borders and it is convenient for them to keep the same time.

On the subject of DST, I don't see why more light for farmers necessitates changing the clocks. They can get up at whatever time they like, they aren't forbidden from setting their alarm an hour earlier. Though, I suppose it would suck a bit for them if they have to go to bed an hour earlier than their non-farmer friends.

I have also discovered that most of the UK have no idea what BST is and always call it GMT when arranging meetings.

Gold badge

@Roby

I've got news for you. There's no-one over here who's ever heard of CEST either, they always refer to it as CET.

As you say though, it's the land borders. I reckon they're terrified of what would happen to road safety as thousands of drivers changed the clock settings in their cars as they crossed borders every day while also attempting to maintain control in the motorway rush hour.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums