back to article UK PM Cameron says Internet must not 'be an ungoverned space'

UK prime minister David Cameron has called for “extremist material” to be taken offline by governments, with help from network operators. Speaking in Australia's Parliament on a trip that will also see him attend the G20 leaders' summit, Cameron spoke of Australia and Britain's long shared history, common belief in freedom and …

Page:

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Someone Else Silver badge
    Megaphone

Ooooh, Mommy! Make hin stop!

Cameron said [PDF] poverty and foreign policy are not the source of terror. “The root cause of the challenge we face is the extremist narrative,” he said, before suggesting bans on extremist preachers, an effort to “root out” extremism from institutions and continuing to “celebrate Islam as a great world religion of peace.” [emphasis added]

In other words: "Oooohh, Mommy! Make them stop! They're talking to me!!!"

David Cameron, the disciple at the right hand of Cheney.

1. Warm Braw

Re: Ooooh, Mommy! Make hin stop!

>David Cameron, the disciple at the right hand of Cheney

I'm sure Cameron imagines his career could benefit from a "right hand" relationship with a significant number of prominent Dicks

2. itzman
    Headmaster

Quis custodies ipsos custodiet?

Nuff said?

1. C-L

Re: Quis custodies ipsos custodiet?

Indeed, who will guard the guards? Emperor Cameron reared up his ugly dickhead...

3. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Not again!

How many times does the sky need to (fail to) fall before people will get rid of this goon... and all the others too please.

1. Roj Blake Silver badge

Re: Not again!

He'll be out of office in May next year. And replaced with the even more more authoritarian Miliband.

4. SleepyJohn

They need to be stopped long before they get to the internet

It seems to me that most of these religious extremists are being created long before they are old enough to read, never mind study bomb-making and beheading on the internet.

5. JaitcH

Cameron is more delusional every day

After saying he will refuse the return of Freedom Fighters to the UK, which is not only illegal but impossible to impose on UK-born citizens, he now says he will regulate the InterNet.

The biggest challenge is the US Constitution - freedom of speech. Do you think Obama actually likes reading about his activities on www.CRYPTOME.org or https://firstlook.org/The Intercept/ But even Obama is between a rock and a hard place.

And Cameron more and more resembles "The Emperor's New Clothes" (Danish: Kejserens nye Klæder)(Hans Christian Andersen) - the InterNet has defeated more people with skills that dwarf him.

And is he going reach out and remove material on servers in non-UK countries that offend his sensibilities? I don't think so.

6. Chris G

How about

Passing a law that prevents politicians from talking out of their arses?

Nobody in power would have anything to say? GOOD!

"Cameron said [PDF] poverty and foreign policy are not the source of terror. “The root cause of the challenge we face is the extremist narrative,” he said,"

Where does he think the driving force that becomes the 'Extremist Narrative'

originates, perhaps all of the terrorists out there are wealthy well educated idealists like Bin Laden and they just happen to suddenly come up with extremist narrative because they are bored?

Or maybe Dave doesn't have a fucking clue and is just spouting whatever he is given as a script from Obarmy and gang.

I bet in certain circles he is known as Washington D. C.

1. John Sanders

Re: How about

"""originates, perhaps all of the terrorists out there are wealthy well educated idealists like Bin Laden and they just happen to suddenly come up with extremist narrative because they are bored?"""

Ideology? Like you know, each time a large amount of killing happens by lots of non-coordinated individuals in different parts of the world who think alike?

7. Sacioz

Best tosser ever

Many other communication systems can and will be created , sorry ...it's a lost war , they will have to come to the party , and soon , for , in the old Bibles(has been deleted) theres a quote: " ...an ther will be a war , between the Orient and the Occident , and the Orient will be the winner . Used to be in Revelations .

8. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

It is not what know, it is who you know, and whether they want to know you ...

... and have anything to do with you.

So, the consensus of informed and material opinion is that Cameron and his ilk are ignorant arrogant buffoons and dangerous in believing themselves to be otherwise and powerfully influential.

Is it not the simply complex job of Special and/or Sublime and/or Secret Intelligence Services and Surreal Internet Networking Servers to Supply Provision of Future Sourced Material for Media Presentation as a Reality already Tested and Proven to Deliver a Harmless Peace and Expanding Harmony rather than Explosive Conflict and Valid Dissent ...... and so extraordinarily render the dangerous fool, a plaything of the past?

Whenever that presently be the case, then are such SSSIServices and SINServers readily available to all current systems so catastrophically compromised and disastrously devoid of valuable worth ..... and quite obviously not from any of the present established systems current future source and events suppliers.

9. Bleu

Well PM Cameron

sounds the voice of all talent-free bureaucrats and politcians,luvvie class in general.

10. adnim
    Flame

Who's idea of extreme?

Mr Cameron with all due respect, what right do you or any appointed body have to determine that which I will or will not find extreme? I presume I will be asked and will have an option. Or are such decisions beyond my easily swayed mind and should be left to higher mortals?

I am fucking sick of being patronised, I know what is right and wrong. Unfortunately you don't Mr Cameron. Therefore I disagree with you Mr Cameron. I would like to voice my disagreement or dissent (dangerous word I expect) in a peaceful and lucid way via the power of words.

Oh my, it seems my website with it's logical alternative policies and the eloquent rebuttal of all your arguments has been deemed extreme and cannot be viewed by anyone.

Do you have a clue about anything beyond your seemingly obsessive desire to control every aspect of our lives and create a sterile, smothered society capable of nothing but capitulation?

You earn trust, respect and a following. It's as simple as that. Trying to hide alternative views and approaches to which is "accepted" by calling them extreme will do nothing but generate mistrust.

I accept there is extremism out there Mr Cameron. Who the fuck are you to determine what is extreme? And why am I not able to determine that for myself?

11. bex

The problem is who decides and what's to stop them adding things "they just don't like"

12. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects 1

Would it be OK

If someone took a suggestion from someone else and killed that fat bugger before he manages to accomplish anything?

Or would the mere suggestion be a criminal act?

13. The BigYin

First things first

Start by governing Westminster, the Lords, finance, tax evasion **AND THEN** the net (if you really must).

But no. That'd hit your paymasters too hard, wouldn't it?

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

First things first and the toxic carcinogenic carbuncle of a parasite on the body of humanity

...... and valid question which the System avoids like the Ebola plague being required to answer with any common sense and truthful honesty. And so it remains as a gangrenous open wound to be ruthless exploited by both germ and medicine every which way, whilst wilfully festering and killing the host virally and virilely and virtually most surely

Just in case you missed it, The Big Yin ........ http://gu.com/p/43aee/sbl

"Channel 4 News economics editor Paul Mason lambasts the banks and says he is 'sick' of returning to film outside the RBS offices in London after years of scandals, as six banks were fined £2.6bn for foreign exchange market rigging. He asks why no criminal charges have been brought, and says the country deserves a better banking system because everyone is dependent on banks"

Actually, the banks are dependent on everybody else, for the money they have and require is all theirs, and they [the banks themselves] have no money at all of their own. Yes, it is a right dodgy Ponzi business they don't want you to know or think about. "Tis a monumental arrogance though to not realise that such blissful ignorance and naivety are just short temporary initial states before wisdom and intelligence kick in and take over and make over everything.

14. OldChestnut

I'd always assumed that the Jihadists were upset because we've been meddling in their countries for years and propping up unpopular folks like the Saud family? Just a thought Dave but I'd say that repeatedly sending this country's armed forces into Muslim countries (ref: all global media 2001 to present day) would, by any idiot's reckoning, stir up a shitstorm in response from the locals? But in the meantime, continue to perpetuate an entirely false and misleading fairy story that this problem can only be solved by increasingly repressive domestic laws.

15. Roj Blake Silver badge

Pull the other one

"Cameron said poverty and foreign policy are not the source of terror."

So it's just a coincidence that the most hated nations in the world are the same ones with a history of interfering in the affairs of other countries?

And that many terrorist groups have in the past been supported by the same Western countries that are now fighting them?

Here's a clue Mr Cameron: bombing people doesn't make them start to like you.

16. roo+

Governments can't govern

I am glad Cameron said “celebrate Islam as a great world religion of peace.” as this is what Islam is about. I do agree that extremist messages and videos posted by retards (heh heh, re-turds) need to be removed from the Internet as (unfortunately) there are a generation of kids watching this crap and some are believing what they are hearing/seeing. But I am pretty sure the Governments of the world will mess this up very badly if they try to govern the Internet. Also not sure if an independent body can do the job any better. Maybe it should not be governed but regulated via a specific set of rules (same way a chat room is regulated)? And maybe all countries should have the same regulations? Otherwise its pointless.

17. C-L

Who decides what is "extreme"?

The usual claptrap idiotic blathering from populist politicians pandering to the lowest layer of the scum voter, hoovering the most fetid of crap. Sure, the populist gets you votes. But this vote is volatile, it will turn on you and dump you when the next scum-sucking politician makes another, more moron-cativating statement.

Why is it that YOU get to say what is extreme and what is not? Did the Queen die and left you the title Emperor in her will? Yeech!

18. JumpinJehosophat

What a t*at

See ... self regulating!

Bloody Muppets

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like