back to article Top Gun display for your CAR: Heads-up fighter pilot tech

Car-display manufacturer Navdy has refuted claims that its new device is dangerous, saying there are plenty of precedents for the technology. Navdy connects a mobile phone to a small projector and provides a “pilot's eye” heads-up display, using a transparent screen. This avoids the issues of multiple images which you get if …

Page:

1. Unicornpiss
    Devil

GM had this years ago

General Motors had a HUD feature on some of their cars a decade or more ago. True, it was a bit primitive. I think it was limited to your speedometer and other gauges. Though some 'premium' cars like Cadillac had an IR camera and night vision display overlaid on the windshield. So in theory you could drive without headlights. Don't get started on why this isn't safe.

I think the HUD for navigation and possibly phone calls would be useful if it can be made as non-distracting as possible, as it will keep the driver from taking their eyes (completely) off the road. But having someone's face pop up on your windshield at the wrong moment could be catastrophic. And with so many apps driven by ads (no pun intended), I really don't think we need to be bombarded with advertisements in the middle of our windshields while trying to drive. Especially blinky, intrusive adds like. "You Have Won!!"

(I used the Satan icon because it actually looks like a happy little car)

2. Herby

Easy to do

I saw an IPad application that does lots of navigation stuff. Place it on the dash and presto-chango you get a heads-up display. When your trip ends, take it with you. Of course it won't answer the call from mom, but do you really need that?

3. Version 1.0 Silver badge

The future is coming

I'm convinced that this type of display will be built into all new cars within 5-10 years allowing a complete redesign of the current driving environment.

No more instrument panels, switches or buttons needed with the ability to only display information when it's needed - for example, who needs to know what the engine temperature is if it's normal? A smart heads up display would only show the status of things that were relevant to the driver at the time that they need to be shown - that's much better than the current situation where we have dials, switches, and buttons because they are needed occasionally.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: The future is coming

"I'm convinced that this type of display will be built into all new cars within 5-10 years allowing a

complete redesign of the current driving environment."

I think you're right. But the HUD will be streaming TV while keeping you up to date with your social meeja accounts etc while the car does the driving for you. The only car related status on the HUD will be your ETA. Hopefully the seating will be more like a sofa we can slouch on while putting our feet up.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HUD

Compass ribbon. Speed ribbon with Mach indicator. G-pulling indicator. Altimeter ribbon. And the letters SHOOT when the reticle locks on your target, be that your exit, or a Mig-21.

Yep. Aren't there some F-14 Ds in a boneyeard somewhere in Arizona? I want to retrofit my car...

5. DarkEnergy

HUD user for the last 2 years

My car HUD displays actual speed, maximum local road speed, navigation indications and a flashing red car if I drive too close to the car in front.

My conclusion: HUD it is the best safety accessory a car can have.

I agree with previous postings in that projecting information not related to the actual driving can be distractive. I would be very worried about incorporating in a HUD email, phone or twitter information.

6. Dan Paul

How about just learning to read a map?

Stuff like this, is technology looking for a problem. How about just learning to read a map, learn to drive from point A to point B and remember how to get there and back without this crap?

Ignorant people never seem to learn the required basic skills that set you apart from being a twat.

How many times have you been behind some idiot who's too busy looking at the GPS to be able to drive? (late left turn without signals because they are going faster than GPS can react) Or the dumbass using a cell phone for a GPS on the dash and loses all orientation because they get a phone call.

Learn to drive and then get off my lawn too!

1. Yugguy

Re: How about just learning to read a map?

I know very well how to get my work and back. In fact I know many different routes. However, I use my live traffic satnav on a daily basis to decide which of those routes I will take. It's very useful and saves me time and fuel.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: How about just learning to read a map?

Not to mention maps have an unfortunate tendency to go out of date, which can be problematic when you're going someplace you've never been before and find the route you're supposed to take has been converted to a one-way against you and so on. And when you're someplace you've never been, it's sometimes hard to find that street you're supposed to turn because all the street signs are missing or in the wrong place I knew a store where many drivers find they missed the left turn they needed to take two miles back because the street sign there's on the wrong side.

7. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

Switch off your targeting computer and use the force, Luke.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon