back to article Women are too expensive to draw and code – Ubisoft

Ubisoft's creative director Alex Amancio has stirred up another row over sexism in the gaming industry by saying the studio's new game, Assassin's Creed Unity, doesn't feature any female characters because it would have been too much of an effort to create them. Amancio's opinion emerged in this video interview posted by …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ubisoft vs. 4 guys from Guildford who created a true Elite space-shooter...

This Ubisoft sorry tale reeks of yet another example of mega-studio failure....If AC was from an Indie then fair play! But its such a lacklustre excuse from a mega-studio. Maybe all these bloated studios should be broken up. They've become too fat, too complacent with all their sequels to ever do something as amazing as 'No Man's Sky'.

Ok so I'm no fan of AC... I tried playing the original and recently AC-BF and got bored after 5 minutes.... Sorry, but the on-a-rail opening ship-fight with its crap QTR, and the chase afterwards was just bland and tired! Now maybe if Ubisoft created a procedural adventure game, with infinite countries or worlds, now that would be something...

2. Phil_Evans

Reality Check?

My Gameplay borders on the furthest edge of obscurity, that is I probably enjoy something like an arcade game every Royal Abdication or so. But I can't help thinking about this that this guy has done the right thing.

Say nothing - the game's fraternity might notice the difference. Are we talking sensual sub-conscious super-detailed physiological changes here or merely the rendering of an action figure in a game? I still laugh and walk away whe I see these games because the basic concept of running looks comical. Would the female figures appear any more butch than they would be as modelled by males? I somehow doubt it. Voices, ok, okayyy. And the company gets away with it - no dramas.

Say what he's said - an honest Joe. If he was putting on a panto would there be moral outrage that a Mare Panto horse would be played by Males undeneath? Is there a difference?

Thumbs up from me.

3. RISC OS
    Mushroom

double the visual assets...

... I like assets on a woman as much as the next man, but surely if they made them smaller they wouldn't need to double the assets to create females.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They sorted that on Hawx 2.

All the females have identical flight suits to men. In fact you only know there is a female fighter pilot due to voice acting. I found that almost in a Tony Stark manner.

Gameplay is what matters. It doesn't matter if you are a giant horned bull dude, a pony-tailed pink Gnome (I love that, to be honest, ruining my own argument) or an alien with no discernible genitals, but if the gameplay is great, who cares.

River Raid and Enduro on Atari kick loads of ass up to this day, and were coded on nearly 1000 lines each.

Apart from budget, I don't think they would prevent female assassins.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like