back to article Stephen Fry MADNESS: 'New domain names GENERATE NEW IP NUMBERS'

Autocue extraordinaire Stephen Fry has cheerily claimed new domain registrations "generate new IP numbers which so far show no sign of giving out". He blogged the explanation while celebrating being the first person in Blighty to sign up for a .uk domain. Dot-UK registry Nominet has not challenged Fry's latest boob, even …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Tom 38

Fry has a fascination with technology and likes to use it but admits he himself has no clue how most of it works. It is the press that has painted him as some sort of ambassador for technology

Sure, no problem. It's the shameless cashing in on said reputation, which he does not go any way to ever dispelling. When he gets called up by the Beeb, "Stephen old chap, come on This Morning, show us the new iphone, plug your book" he doesn't say "Ah well actually probably a tech journalist would be better than me, but I'll come on and talk about the book?"

Scratch all that, I've just realised that each appearance by S.Fry as a tech evangelist means one less time I have to see Rory Cellan-Jones, who knows roughly the same about tech as Fry but can play the bullshit trombone a little better.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Ah well actually probably a tech journalist would be better than me"

Really, did you not see the tech journalist from this very site perform recently on Newsnight? It was a pretty embarrasing showing which did nothing to make you think Tech Journalists are going to look good on TV, know what they are talking about, provide a robust argument or add a worthwhile viewpoint to the conversation.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Facepalm

That tech journalist was very open about his experience and was very humble in the account of the event.

Now, if the journalist was portraying himself as a genius TV pundit in the same way as Mr. Fry portrays himself as a tech genius, things would be different, but he didn't and they're not.

2. Jim 59

Fry Roasting

Agree with AC re Fry bashing. Sure his original Satnav trope was a top funny, deservedly lampooned in these pages for being so ludicrous. But now it feels like somebody at Reg Towers is monitoring Fry's every move, waiting for a slight mistake or vague comment then reporting it with a lot of forced laughter.

I checked out his website and he does not claim to be anything more than a keen amateur in the tech world, except doing a few gadget reviews. If you don't like the man, the image, the "brand", better to just say so straight out.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Fry Roasting

> QI portrays him as a font of all wisdom, a veritable tree of knowledge and people believe it.

It's a silly TV show, FFS... it portrays Alan Davies as an idiot, which he isn't. The presenters of most quiz shows, from University Challenge to Have I go News For You are portrayed as being more knowledgeable than the contestants - that's just how quiz shows work.

The average viewer knows that the presenter has an autocue or a cue cards.

3. Tyla

If he doesn't want to be seen as an expert he shouldn't try to sound like one.

He is surrounded by people that have no knowledge of a subject about which he has (dangerously) a little knowledge, so he can go around pretending he's the expert simply because compared to the majority he is.

There are only a few that have actual knowledge that call him on it.

And this is fun!

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

For every time he does something like getting confused between domain names and IP addresses and annoys the aspe in me, he also goes and does something else far more important like this (oddly not covered by El Reg) so I end up forgiving him. That probably makes him a national treasure.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

@ Dan 55

Agreed. And let's not forget Stephen Fry offered to pay the fine and subsequent legal fees of Paul Chambers, the man convicted of sending a "public electronic message that was grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character contrary to the Communications Act 2003" - Mr Chambers had made a joke on Twitter about blowing up Robin Hood Airport. His conviction was later quashed.

4. Don Dumb
      Stop

@AC - I am sick to death of the bashing Fry gets on the register.

Agreed. This is utterly pathetic behaviour from El Reg and clearly so much so that Andrew Orlowski is too ashamed to even put his name to the article.

If this were Linus Torvalds or a CIO then maybe this would be a worthwhile article. But pouring over Stephen Fry's every word so that you can pick up on any mistake is just deplorable.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, are people with https going to fork out a lot more money (often to Nominet members, oh what a surprise) for SubjectAlternativeName certificates so they will match the .uk as well as the .co.uk, or use a second IP address and certificate (what runout?!), or are they going to train more people to ignore the certificate warnings?

1. DaLo

Sites rarely have a certificate for all their various domains. They'll just redirect to their default or create a specific secure.xxxxx.co.uk domain to use for secure interactions.

1. Tom 38

Or a wildcard cert, one IP per domain wildcard.

I've never tried asking for subjectAltName with multiple wildcard domains, wonder if that would work, one public IP per server farm.

2. NomNomNom

Instead of blindly jumping on the bash Stephen Fry bandwagon I would caution other commenters to sit back and reflect first.

I would hazard a guess that Stephen Fry is correct on this matter. I think that's a wise assumption to begin with at least. Afterall he hosts that TV show on BBC(?), can't remember what it is called but the whole premise of the program is intelligent people telling the audience about intelligent stuff. Steven Fry isn't just a guest, he hosts it.

Now as to the question of IP address exhaustion, or depletion if you will, do we really understand matters as much as we think we do? It may be that us "IT folk" are too close to the question and are missing the forest for the trees in which case a fresh perspective from a polymath like Stephen Fry could do us some good. So let us put our thinking caps on. It occurs to me that IP address have not run out yet, just like oil hasn't either, so who is to say for sure that either will? And if indeed they ultimately don't then it would seem Stephen Fry is absolutely right as I expected.

That's not to say you can't have the opinion that Stephen Fry is wrong, and perhaps he can be, but if you want to be on the right side of history I would recommend a wise dose of caution in this regard. Remember how they persecuted Alan Turing. Thanks.

1. g e

That was ironic. Right?

See title

1. Stevie

Re: That was ironic. Right?

You have to ask?

To each and every downvoter of that post: U R Teh Lamerz.

1. TRT Silver badge

I thought the whole purpose of that programme was for a bunch of smugmonauts to belittle and laugh at Alan Davies, possibly the only person on UK television able to take it in the good humour it's intended to be.

1. NomNomNom

smugmonauts lol

even the theme tune is smug

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Did you see the pilot for QI? In the pilot, Alan walked into no traps, gave a series of moderately interesting answers, the show was as dull as ditchwater and the program almost never went into production.

Cue change to format - Alan thereafter portrays cheeky chappy giving incorrect and/or commonsense answer.

In other words, if the other contestants are smugmonauts, Alan is the paid permanent guest stooge - and plays the part very well.

2. Jamie Jones Silver badge
        Happy

Lol, NomNomNom, is the regular El Reg commentard teaser (I don't use the word 'troll' as Nomey is cleverer and more amusing, not simply being provocative)

2. dan1980

@NomNomNom

I hold Stephen Fry in a certain respect; There is a long version but the shorter one is that his frank and open discussions of his own mental health issues are to be lauded and are every bit as important in that sphere as Angelina Jolie's mastectomy was for breast cancer.

So, there is a temptation for me to approve of your defence of his statements.

You are, however, raving mad if even a single syllable of your post was written without your tongue firmy in your cheek. Reading back your previous posts, I hope that is the case. (Cheek, tongue, etc...)

3. TkH11

wtf? We are using a finite based numbering scheme which potentially could run out. The question is will we run out? IPV6 has only just been introduced so based on current uptake of IP addresses we probably won't run out for many, many years. But there there are plans afoot to hook more and more devices to the internet, consumer devices, not just computing based devices such as laptops, mobile phones.

As for being too close to the question, I would suggest that it is precisely because we are close to it, that we understand it, that we understand the industry, that we can see trends, make predictions with some degree of accuracy and make a more accurate prediction than someone that is not an expert in technology. Forest and trees is not an idiom that is relevant in this case.

I doubt Stephen Fry knows enough about IPV4, IPV6 number spaces to be able to make an informed comment on whether we will run out, his remarks are probably not based on that level of detail, but based on general common knowledge that IP numbers are running out and we have to do something about it (that something is the instantiation of the IPV6 scheme).

Given that IPV6 hasn't been in use for that long, anyone can make a prediction now, the reality is, we won't know for many years whether that prediction is accurate or not. That is, anyone's prediction now is likely to be as accurate as anyone elses. What is the value of even making a prediction under these circumstances? It's akin to making a weather forecast for the United Kingdom for the 10th June 2015, it has little value and is most likely to be wrong.

As T0 approaches the certainty increases, there comes a point where you are so far from T0, it's pointless making the prediction.

If Stephen Fry in years to come, turns out to be correct, I would suggest it's not because of a well thoughtout, intelligent analysis of the data at the time he made the prediction, but down to sheer luck.

3. Caaaptaaaain kick arse

IPV6 no?

Not infinite but enough for everyone and their network enabled fridges, washing machines..... shoes (one ip for each foot?)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: IPV6 no?

Once IPv4 is used up people will be forced to got to v6 which means IP as a whole has effectively infinite address space.

The more we use, the more we'll get... TA-DA!

In his ignorance, he may have stumbled on the truth.

It probably is time to give him a break on facts, since that should be all scripted and not what he makes up himself.

I'll give him a pass on the grounds that QI is on the ABC and its a relief to listen to with hardly a "g'day" in earshot.

4. dan1980

Why is this article attributed to 'Team Register' rather than Andrew?

1. FIA Silver badge

Restraining order maybe?

5. WibbleMe

We already have plenty of "New" IP address they are called IP6

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6

6. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

The day of .uk is upon us.

I'm sure he actually meant - The day of .uk is upon .us

1. P. Lee

Re: The day of .uk is upon us.

I'll bet French Connection pushed hard for that one.

7. Necronomnomnomicon

Orlowski afraid to put this under his own name now?

I'd be embarrassed about the amount of time I spent reading through Fry's every published word checking for errors to froth over too.

1. dan1980

Re: Orlowski afraid to put this under his own name now?

Snap!

8. disgruntled yank

Indeed

Slow uptake does seem to be a problem.

9. vagabondo
    Headmaster

Fry is a Comedian

That's his job. Pontificating ad absurdum in order to create a snigger is what he does. We should expect no more and no less.

10. d3rrial

Internet

Poe's law...

Maybe this was just his way of criticizing the extremely slow transition from IPv4 to IPv6

11. jason 7
    Trollface

Bless him!

He's only a Mac user after all. You don't expect him to know much about tech.

Dives for cover.

12. P_0

Do you guys have some vendetta against Fry?

13. Spotthelemon

He's a TV celebrity making a comment on a personal blog, if you want technical advice then go to a technically qualified person. If we start crucifying people for inaccuracies on Blogs or social media then we're going to rapidly have a serious worldwide shortage of crosses & nails

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

"..then we're going to rapidly have a serious worldwide shortage of crosses & nails"

Nah we just switch to crosses and nailsV6

2. ukgnome

I actually blogged a similar thing a couple of years ago, I like that Mt Fry likes tech, I like cricket and have very strong opinions on it. I will comment on cricket too, and sometimes I will even blog about it. This however doesn't make me a cricketer, and any cricketers out there could quite easily take some sort of trentsbridge with what I say.

Give the guy a break.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pointless

So all .uk addresses are reserved for claiming by the .co.uk owner for 5 years. I can understand why, but it makes all the pomp surrounding the launch of .uk a little over the top.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Gimp

The patron saint of knowledge and wisdom speaketh and YOU DARE QUESTION HIM!?

16. Jim 59

for the lolz

From SF blog:

People often come up to me in the street and say, “Stephen, why don’t you pop some clothes on, there’s a good fellow.”

That's not bad.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Isn't it time The Register had a Redux (apparently, that's what people are doing these days)?

18. Stevie

Bah!

The man is a genius!

But: Is what he says any more stupid than giving out .co and .com registrations to individuals in the first place? There's supposed to be *information* in the domain naming scheme, but it was downgraded to bling in the mid-90s by marketing wuckfits.

Thought (OW!) : Does this mean as an American resident I must type in StephenFry.uk.uk? If so, I need to register Yuk(.uk(.uk)) for my Popeye tribute site as a priority.

19. Benchops

What's the uptake

in Scotland like at the moment?

1. Breen Whitman

Re: What's the uptake

Not good I am afraid. I just checked and the IP address for the only registered domain name in Scotland, breezyTackleUpMeKilt.sc, and that has run out so you won't be able to register. breezyTackleUpMeKilt.scot.

20. Stoneshop
    WTF?

Whatthefc.uk

The post is required, and must contain letters.

21. Breen Whitman

Definition: knickers in a twist.

I looked up "knickers in a twist." in the Oxford dictionary and it said this:

"knickers in a twist - When writers of The Register see a new phenomenon, a member of mainstream media delve into technology, rather than the previous trend of ignoring anything technical, and said media personality is not 100% technically correct this causes the Register writers underpants to begin to twist sometimes clamping the testicles and causes wearer to hunch over while crying and spluttering unintelligibly."

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Domain names generate new IP addresses do they?

Like Magic.

Tee Hee.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

So my computer generates new IP numbers when I register a new domain?

Awesome! That fits right in with my new lamps. They create electro-gravy when I turn on the lights!

24. Sampler

he didn't like typing the .co in .co.uk

but in the example it shows he has a .com, so he doesn't have type any of it, shift enter and he's done?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like