back to article SCIENCE explains why you LOVE the smell of BACON

Scientists have explained the reason why humans love the smell of frying bacon. Bacon-boffins from the American Chemical Society and Compound Interest produced a video summarizing a research effort into the compounds that give everyone's favorite cured breakfast meat its distinctive and wonderful aroma. Video: The Smell of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Dropper

Re: Proper Bacon

http://www.ukgoods.com/british-english-irish-groceries/english-irish-british-meat-products.html#.U4qsHdJOWig

1. Number6

Re: Proper Bacon

Thanks, but for perishable foods I'd prefer a local place. Too much scope for things to go wrong with the delivery process from the other side of the US.

1. illiad

obligatory Al Murray vid!!! :)

proof of bacon!!! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHEQmfqnKZw

yes, even veggies love the smell, it goes back to our original ancestry, where finding food just to be able to survive was the main thing! WHY do you think we have pointed, sharp teeth that are good at ripping flesh, and not the large flat type that cows use, more effective at chewing vegetable matter???

when primates came down from the trees, they found that the reason tigers etc have much more energy due to the food they eat!! :)

1. king of foo

Re: obligatory Al Murray vid!!! :)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UahqgK60vuk

1. illiad

Re: obligatory Al Murray vid!!! :)

Is that what you poor people think bacon is??????? :O

click this for a proper picture!!!

http://community.o2online.ie/o2ie/attachments/o2ie/15/7162/1/fried-bacon-rashers-two-pairs-thumb6725749.jpg

don't need anything else except a good fry-pan on the cooker for it..... :P :P

2. Ducklet

This explains the how, not the why.

1. illiad

ER, the WHY is the same reason most people cannot do without coffee...

or google "pavlov's dog" may help more??? :)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hunger....

I have only just woke up (12:30 on a sunday)... With a hang over (I only had a couple...) and come for my daily does of tech news. First news article about bacon... COME ON! Give a guy a break - now you make me hungry :-)

1. illiad

Re: Hunger....

ahhhh... :) you obviously do not have a loving partner, to put some bacon on for you... this is mainly what al murray has, in the YT clip... :p

4. DrTeeth

Yuk!

The smell of bacon makes me gag.

5. Chris G

Optional extra

If you cook enough bacon, it will produce enough heart and artery destroying bacon fat to produce fried bread to die for ( almost literally).

My wife got some of the amazing lean Spanish streaky this week, at €14/Kg she bought a kilo, mmm Sunday breakfast sarny this morning 5 crispy rashers in lightly fried bread with a very smoky barbeque ketchup!

Have a Jewish friend here who does some of the best BLTs on the planet, eats 'em too!

He may go to Jewish hell (Gehenna) but it will be with a bacon sarny in one hand.

1. illiad

Re: Optional extra

well, dont just shove it all in yer gob!! :D :D

FIRST you separate the fatty part, and eat the lean part!!

note you do NOT need oil in the pan, the bacon provides it's own natural stuff!! :)

1. Tom 7

Re: Optional extra

Heart problems? The only problems the fat in bacon will cause you problems is if you let it rest in your arteries. My dog gets sore paws after a loaf of bread and half a pig and an illegal amount of butter but the doctor cant find a problem with it! Foods not bad for you - chairs are!

6. Skyraker

To quote Jim Jeffries

If you took away my bacon and beer, I'd fly a fucking plane into a building.

7. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

To add further confusion...

In Ireland, 'bacon' usually refers to a cured joint of pork, and what you actually want is what they refer to as 'rashers'.

8. Lallabalalla

aldehydes, hydrocarbons, and nitrogen-containing pyridines and pyrazines

nomnomnom

I'll have bacon instead thanks :)

9. Will Godfrey Silver badge

Fat? Oil?

By itself under the grill is best.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.