back to article Comcast exec says wired broadband customers should pay-as-they-go

US broadband customers should expect to be charged wireless-style fees for their wired internet access in the next few years, an executive from US broadband mega-giant Comcast has revealed. "I would predict that in five years Comcast at least would have a usage-based billing model rolled out across its footprint," Comcast …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Dylan Fahey

It's always about screwing the customer...

It's always about screwing the customer, always.

2. jelabarre59

No more bloated online games then

If this starts happening, then all the MMORPGs, etc are going to have to stop requiring users to download the entire game, and will have to start selling DVDs of their games with the bulk of the code installable from those disks. You know, they way games **used** to be distributed before the internet. Look at somehing lke World of Warcraft, which requres a 20GB-plus download just to play it. And you can't even pre-download the install on another machine; you have to DL it for EVERY machine you play it on. Either that or people will just have to STOP playing MMORPGs, and go back to Tetris loaded from a CD.

The same thing will go for OS fixpacks and upgrades as well; no more expecting everyone to download gigabytes of code on each and every machine; those companies will have to revert to selling DVDs with the updates, or face people no longer updating security fixes or buying new releases.

3. a420bowlkilla

The solution is obvious. COMPETITION !!! I'm so glad I live in a city that has at least two ISPs. Some unfortunate souls have no choice. It's COMCRAP for $100+ or no internet.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like