back to article Here's what YOU WON'T be able to do with your PlayStation 4

Automotive pioneer Henry Ford famously joked that any customer could order a car painted any color "as long as it is black." The same will be true of Sony's forthcoming PlayStation 4 video game console – "Jet Black" being the only color option at launch – but it seems the new device will come with plenty of other limitations, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Great Zeus almighty !

Fup that for a game of soldiers, i.e. fup Sony, and fup Microsoft too. They really haven't learned anything have they, but on the other hand I'll bet the sheeple will still buy these pieces of crap in the millions thus rewarding them for their shitty behaviour. Looks like the only hope for a possibly decent console is now Steam's.

2. Innocent-Bystander*

It's not that it can't do it...

Sony just chooses not to... there's a big difference.

It's looking more and more like I'll be sticking with my PC this round. I'll upgrade once GSYNC capable monitors come out and forget this whole console nonsense.

Will keep the PS3 though. Hell of a media device and blu-ray player.

IB

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Won't Play CD's or MP3s?????

Plus it only comes in black? This really is too much. It's the end of the world.

4. Brian Souder 1

Wouldn't Buy Either

Well this is pretty disappointing info. Pretty much killed buying either one for me. I have two PS3 systems now.

5. Howard Hanek

Sony Bricks

PS4's should be seen in your local landfill soon! Not content with their recent reported loss Sony appears to have decided that it was not large enough. They're unable to connect in more ways than just video displays or external hard drives.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Costs

Perhaps all the features that are left out are to reduce costs. In the past when consoles were launched they cost more than they retailed (note 1). Only over time did the costs come down as manufacturing was changed and component prices dropped. Adding extra hardware for analogue TV support. and licensing for the software algorithms (e.g. MP3) may just be an attempt to reduce costs. Surely minimising cost (maybe minimising the power requirements too) would drive the choice of a 500MB, 5400rpm hard disk.

Whether these cost-based decisions (my conjecture), ultimately pay-off only time will tell.

Note 1 - iSuppli wrote on 11 Dec 2009:

"The new PlayStation 3 with 120GByte HDD model is priced at $299 in the United States—which means Sony sells each PlayStation 3 in the United States for $37.27 less than its materials and manufacturing cost.”

Source: http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/Pages/Sony-Gets-One-Step-Closer-to-Breakeven-Point-with-Latest-PlayStation-3-Design.aspx

7. Trev 2

CDs fair enough, but not compatible with PS3 games?

I can get the lack of support for CD's and old TVs - fair enough.

But not being able to run PS3 games or use PS3 hardware (controllers etc) sounds like a massive backward step alienating all the users who bought the previous product and would be more likely to be PS4 games and controller customers IMO,

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good

none of that matters, no consoles nowdays are really backwards compatible Sony tried it but realized it was a waste of cash with the ps3 and dropped the emotion chip that hardware emulated the ps2 and 360 backwards compatibility was terrible.

As to cd's and mp3s it's a games console. Unlike the xbox one which apparently is a machine for watching the superbowl. It isn't a media center. Most modern games wouldn't even work on a crt screen nowdays so who cares about that, also when it comes to a huge 330mb patch (so fuck all) oh nooooooooooooooo

HOWEVER

There is a real reason to feel a kick in the cock about the ps4, the whores at EA have evidently been bought out by MS so TitanFall arguably the best looking new game is a Microsoft Permanent exclusive.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Good

However, another bit of relevant info, XBox one new Call of Duty game 720p, PS4 will be 1080p native. Sounds like the XBox one is lacking in its delivery.

9. Lost in Cyberspace

Let the PS4 do the gaming

So that Sony can sell you a smart TV to do the rest

10. The_Regulator

Dealbreaker

This just killed my console buzz, ps4 was looking like the way I wanted to go but no dlna is a killer for me, I stream movies from PC all the time instead of having to search through my physical discs to find the one I want. I will wait to purchase until they add this or I guess may look at buying an xb1 (seems underpowered if it can't run launch titles in native 1080p) or just wait a while for the dust to settle.

1. Miek
      Linux

Re: Dealbreaker

Plug your HDMI cable from your TV into your PC (if possible) and just play your movies directly onto your screen instead of streaming. No remote ? Get a little wireless mouse (and keyboard if you wish)

11. OnTheSpecialBus

So its a games console and nothing else ?

Good luck with that then Sony, it was nice knowing you

Sod it I'll buy another Wii instead

1. Hooch181

I know right...

It's like going back 20 years. Sure, back then all they really could be was gaming consoles. Todays consumer is expecting more, especially in this economic climate.

12. john devoy

blatant lies

Sony are full of crap if they suggest not playing MP3 or audio discs is an oversight, it's a blatant attempt to force ps4 users into subscribing to the ps4's music streaming service.

13. kato15

***I Know It's Long But Just Give It A Read

Out of all of the articles I've read, this is by far one of the worst. When I look up information on something I'm interested in, I'm not looking for an article with a TON of bias, negativity, and blatant disrespect for whatever it is. And nobody should be. Who cares if the PS4 won't support certain media. It's a video game console, which is why I'm buying it, to play VIDEO GAMES. Cool the launch line-up doesn't meet your expectations, so wait until better games come out from developers like Naughty Dog or whoever else you prefer. Nit-picking about the color available at launch, seriously?! What does that have to do with playing video games? Pointing out it won't compatible with old T.V.s? It's a NEXT GEN console and if you can afford a PS4, you should be able to afford an HDTV. Newsflash, some brands aren't all that expensive. 4K? That's not even close to becoming mainstream yet, so why support it? Maybe after this gen, then I'd say yes for sure. 3D technology? Games are crap when trying to play in 3D; all it gives you is a headache. And games may support it later down the road. Complaining about the type of hard drive needed to replace it and that it won't support external hard drives? Solution: buy a 1 TB hard drive that meets those specifications (which isn't even a problem like you're insinuating) and that should be plenty of memory. If that's not enough, stop wasting your money on digital copies of things. Why would you need your PS4 to stream things from a computer to your TV? If it's a laptop, simple solution: use an HDMI cable from your TV to your laptop, I do it all the time. If it's a desktop, watch it on your monitor. If that's not big enough for you to watch things on (which is ridiculous in itself), use a TV as the computer monitor, I have family who do that and it's actually pretty sweet. Not being able to play your "sweet tunes" or load up your '90's Cds to the PS4? Isn't that what a stereo system or iTunes is for? Besides, Sony can always add an update in the future that will allow that kind of media. 300 MB update to include things like DVD and Blu Ray support being massive? That is .06% of the total hard drive and I downloaded the Uncharted 3 map packs the other day, and each one was over 300 MB; that doesn't look so "massive" now does it? I don't understand why it's a huge problem that the PS4 isn't backwards compatible. Isn't that what a PS1, 2, and 3 are designed to do, play their respective games? If you still have those older games, play it on those systems. Don't be lazy, plug that older console in and enjoy your favorite games from the past. And if you don't have the system anymore and only the games, I have no idea why you have those games in the first place. Complaining about PS3 "doodads" not working with the PS4? I understand the issue with bluetooth headsets (hopefully a future update will fix that, which I'm counting on) but the dualshock 3, bluetooth remote (which does the same thing as a controller can do) and even a mouse? Really? It's designed to use the DS4, obviously and why would you need a mouse on a console? That was the most ridiculous thing I've ever read about the PS4. Why constantly nit-pick the PS4 to death about things it can't do (yet) and not focus on ANYTHING that it can do? It's not only this article, but many others. I don't see Microsoft posting an FAQ about their console, probably because it would reveal information worse than what Sony has revealed (granted I don't think they revealed anything that bad even). Posting something like that shows a lot of confidence and pride in their work. There really are no secrets about their console anymore, which is what consumers want right? No secrets from a company? It's mind boggling how pessimistic everyone is about this. I can guarantee the Xbox One won't be any less restrictive (but they won't reveal ALL of their info so we won't know until launch). Just enjoy the thing and use it for what it's meant to be used for, again, which is VIDEO GAMES.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ***I Know It's Long But Just Give It A Read

Long posts are fine - but a few paragraph breaks would help us all.

2. jmk89

I'm not reading all of that, can you tl;dr it?

3. OnTheSpecialBus

TL;DR : Throw out your old crap, its 2013 Dude, stop living like its 2011 already

1. kato15

Not sure if that's directed at me or to the people in general. If it's toward me, I don't have any "old crap". I try to keep up with the times haha

4. Soap Distant

Leave out the spaces if you want to be really illegible :p Must try harder!

On topic though, I can see the argument for a gaming box to be dedicated to gaming, but ... to leave out functionality that my (analog) toothbrush has seems a little odd. I'm a PC gamer when I do btw - never liked the limitations of any game console ever (although Sonic the Hedgehog was... just ace :)

SD

5. Zack Mollusc

I can see what you are driving at, bit what angers me is the way that things are _intentionally_ crippled. The developers don't have infinite resources, yet they choose to allocate time and money to screwing things up (usb stands for UNIVERSAL serial bus) rather than debugging known problems.

Whatever, I will be buying a PS4. Well, I shall if Sony start accepting the new proprietary payment system I have developed and its restrictive EULA which I drew up.

6. Carl

Gah my eyes.

For the love of god man.

Whitespace... WHITESPACE.

14. IHateWearingATie
    Mushroom

Grrrr

I'll still probably get a PS4 as that is the one that my mates have pre-ordered (and sunday nights would be pretty bare without getting thrashed by them playng online Grid 2). However:

PS3 games - very annoying, but at least that is something I can understand. New architecture, very difficult to make backwards compatible. They managed it for the PS3 ->PS2 games, but I guess things have got more complicated.

Bluetooth - WTF??? Why won't my bluetooth headset work? Have they gone out of the way to cripple it???

DLNA - I DONT WANT YOUR CRAPPY ONLINE SERVICE SONY! With your encoruagement (remember, Sony made a big play on the PS3 being a media hub) I made the PS3 the centre of my under-telly hub. I have music and films ripped to a server that my PS3 serves very nicely over my network to my sound system and TV. I could understand it if it was a feature that you were planning to put in later (like the PS3) as you con't quite get it done for launch day (like blu-ray films), but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Music - Really?? I have 2 boxes in my unit under the telly - Sky and PS3. I don't want to add one or two more (play CDs, stream DLNA). Why they hell have you removed this? Again if it was coming later as patch, fine. But to cripple it to force me to use your crappy online service is terrible.

I have a rasberry pi, and I've used it very successfully as a DLNA server but it makes hooking things up complicated (do I have enough HDMI ports, how do I rig the sound to make it easy to switch etc). I know there are solutions, but this is a real retrograde step. If my mates weren't getting a PS4, I think I'd go Xbox.

15. Zot

The game recording would be useful for debugging, maybe?

If you're a dev trying to track down that illusive bug, that one a thousand rarely get.

I won't be buying either console, not until the dust settles anyway. The Steam box and controller look more fun and probably with cheaper games and discounts. Although I use Steam in my fast PC and just bought Crysis Warhammer for a fiver, and of course keyboard and mouse are the best control system for first person games - with what else can you look instantly in any direction? The Steam controller still looks a bit fiddly.

Meh, *shrugs shoulders and wanders off*

1. Zot

Re: The game recording would be useful for debugging, maybe?

I meant Warhead of course. : )

16. Dave 62

I don't think I'll bother.

The only question is, when PSN goes paid, what happens to PS3 online games?

17. GazRTC

How will we possibly survive!!

- It only comes in black. OH NO WHAT WILL WE DO!!

- You can't plug it in TV's that haven't been made in decades. GOOD GRIEF SONY HOW DARE YOU NOT MAKE TECHNOLOGY THAT IS HISTORICALLY VIABLE.

- You can't plug it in a 4K TV set yet. OH MY GOD SONY I LITERALLY CAN'T PLUG THIS INTO A TV THAT I CAN'T EVEN BUY YET.

- Nobody has made 3D games yet. DEAR GOD THERE WERE ONLY 3D GAMES MADE FOR THE OLD CONSOLE, HOW DARE YOU EVEN THINK THAT THEY WILL MAKE THEM IN TIME FOR THE NEW ONE, I MEAN COME ON!

- You can actually swap your hard drive for a bigger one if you want BUT HOLY BATBALLS SONY HOW DARE YOU MAKE IT HAVE TO BE ONE THAT ACTUALLY FITS INTO YOUR MACHINE.

- Sony hasn't done you any favours by making it a general purpose digital device. I MEAN SONY HOW DARE YOU NOT MAKE A GAMING MACHINE DO EVERYTHING. IT LITERALLY ONLY PLAYS NETFLIX ON YOUR TV FFS. AND DVDs. AND BLU-RAYS.

- It doesn't play audio CDs. I MEAN COME ON NOW SONY HOW CAN YOU NOT PLAY THINGS THAT HIGH STREET SHOPS ARE GOING OUT OF BUSINESS BECAUSE NO ONE BUYS THEM ANY MORE.

- You can only play music from Sony on it. HOW DARE YOU SONY. HOW DARE YOU TRY TO GET PEOPLE TO SPEND MONEY WITH YOU ON YOUR CONSOLE. WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE, APPLE?

- It doesn't play previous consoles games. GOOD GRACIOUS SONY I MEAN HOW DO YOU EXPECT TO MAKE NEW TECHNOLOGY THAT WON'T WORK WITH STUFF THAT'S YEARS OLD. IF ONLY THE PEOPLE THAT HAD THE OLD GAMES ALSO HAD BOUGHT THE OLD CONSOLE. OR IF ONLY YOU HAD ANNOUNCED THAT YOU WERE ACTUALLY BRINGING OUT A SERVICE THAT ALLOWED YOU TO DO THIS.

- Why would other hardware manufacturers ever want to make their stuff work with yours instead of you doing it for them. DISGRACEFUL SONY, YOU SHOULD BE DOING OTHER PEOPLE'S WORK FOR THEM. I MEAN DO YOU THINK THEY WOULD WANT TO MAKE THEIR STUFF WORK WITH YOURS TO MAKE MONEY OR SOMETHING. RIDICULOUS.

- The PS4 is always recording the last 15 mins of your gameplay and you can't stop it. OH. MY. GOD. IF ONLY THERE WAS A WAY FOR THIS NOT TO MATTER IN THE SLIGHTEST. LIKE, I DUNNO, MAYBE NEVER EVER SHARING IT OR SOMETHING.

- You can only share your gameplay on Facebook. I MEAN COME ON NOW SONY, ONLY MAKING THE LARGEST SOCIAL NETWORK ON THE INTERNET AVAILABLE IS JUST SHOCKING. SHOCKING I TELL YOU.

- Not everything will work immediately, it will be phased in. THIS LITERALLY NEVER EVER HAPPENS WITH ANY NEW TECHNOLOGY LIKE COMPUTERS OR OTHER GAMING SYSTEMS. EVER. NEVER EVER EVER.

18. DEAD4EVER

sony ps4

Having now seen and heard about the ps4 I have decided not to go next gen simply due to cost reasons and such. I am sticking with ps3 and any games which some I have GTA 5 battlefield 4 and call of duty ghosts. If my ps3 dies then that's it for me and consoles as there getting expensive especially the games alone.

19. Shugyosha
    Gimp

HDD size an issue

I can see the HDD being a problem here, I really think they should allow USB storage, or they should have gone for a 3.5" HDD. Or maybe two 2.5" bays, dedicating one to the OS.

I currently have a 1TB drive in my PS3. I already use PSN the way Sony apparantly want more people to use it - to download their games. I haven't bought a physical game disk in 2 years, because I get everything from PSN+. Admittedly I have PlayTV so I am also using the device as a PVR, which takes up space, but I'm already at the point where I'm having to delete stuff from the PVR to download a new game. I'm looking to upgrade to a 1.5TB drive, but once I've done that, that's as far as I can go. No one is currently making a 2.5" drive in a 9.5mm form factor with higher capacity than 1.5TB.

So I expect that PS4 games will not be any smaller than PS3 games, more likely the opposite. Hopefully someone will eventually bring out drives bigger than 1.5TB in this form factor, but I can see a lot of heavy users like myself running into storage issues.

20. Unicornpiss
    Thumb Down

You'll be comforted to know though...

That it probably retains the annoying feature of forcing you to upgrade the OS if an update is available before you can do anything with it, even playing a Netflix video, and even if the update is for something as inconsequential as adding a different thumbnail view or another pointless photo sharing feature.

Sony shoots itself in the foot once again...

1. Jonathan White

Re: You'll be comforted to know though...

That would be 'probably' as in 'absolutely doesn't'? One of the things they've touted quite extensively about the PS4 is that is downloads patches (both game and OS) in the background and/or while the console is 'asleep'. Possibly also apply them, although personally I'd prefer it if it didn't do that bit without telling me.

Honestly, if you're going to complain about what it doesn't do, at least first find out what it does do..

1. Shugyosha

Re: You'll be comforted to know though...

"One of the things they've touted quite extensively about the PS4 is that is downloads patches (both game and OS) in the background and/or while the console is 'asleep'. Possibly also apply them, although personally I'd prefer it if it didn't do that bit without telling me."

And if you're a PSN+ subscriber, then the PS3 already does this. The feature works quite well.

21. Rattus Rattus

Music Unlimited and Video Unlimited

Who wants to bet that this will only be available in the US, Canada, and maybe three European countries. Anywhere else, I expect you'll just be shit out of luck.

22. Kazriko Redclaw

Homework

PS3 also was limited to only Bluray discs for games. No games were ever released on DVD for it.

Also, Music Unlimited and Video Unlimited were launched years ago. They're not at all new and aren't launching alongside the PS4.

You can use SATA3 drives as well, they'll just operate at Sata2 speeds.

23. Robert Grant

History repeating itself?

Is this a bit like the PS3 and the 360? Everyone loved the 100% backwards compatibility for PS2 games, and yet it turned out that the 360 probably had at least as much BC in practice. It just feels a bit like MS make all the gaffes, but respond to feedback and end up with a good product.

I know they're both good, but you know what I mean - MS with the 360 delivered a better product than promised; Sony probably a worse one.

24. A 31

that settles it

I think gaming shall be solely done on PC form now on

PS3 was a fab media center (very little gaming), and that will remain as is

Newell, play your cards right, and my gaming wallet is yours !

25. Blacklight
    Mushroom

Buh?!

I read this and my eyebrows and chin parted company in opposite directions.

After reeling them back in, I do ponder the sanity of this, or if it's a REALLY badly worded "at launch" statement, to indeed be followed up with "coming via updates".

Our PS3 plays games, watches Netflix, plays BD, DVD and occasionally CDs (although mostly was used to rip CDs for later digital playback), plays music from the NAS via DLNA. The only thing I never did with my (old) PS3 was put Linux on it. I did use it for PS2 games, which the Slim can't do, sadly....

ISTR the Wii didn't playback DVDs due to licence/BoM cost issues - and I'd be (sort of) ok with PS4 users being told "Pay as little as possible for the 'machine'" and then add the components you need later (i.e. transcoding/decoding licences, if not free), and download a DLNA "app" from the PS Store - but for Sony (who built their entire history on audio) NOT to include CD playback by default is a bit odd...

And after the whole "always on" furore, the idea of streaming music might be an issue for some there too. I may have signed up for PS+, but I've not signed up for Spotify, Music Unlimited or the Google Play offering.

I'm also surprised that DualShock 3's just "won't work" (or have been made not to). Put Sony's on PS3 keyboard on the DualShock and lo, you have a touchpad. As mentioned before, if Move works, the others should too....

And PlayTV (whilst not HD) will be another dead duck to add to the pile.....

26. Carl

Have PS3, wont be getting PS4

PS4 will be too restrictive so I will have to decline.

Hell, if I had known they were going to pull Linux support I wouldn't have gotten a PS3.

I sure hope Sony know what they are doing. Im hard pressed to think of a long-run successful technology that started out open and which subsequently got more restrictive.

27. StampedChipmunk

Music Unlimited and Video Unlimited already exist

... as anyone with a Sony mobile device can tell you. They're not bad, streaming quality is good, Video Unlimited suffers from not having as big a selection as, say, Netflix. Prices are similar to Apple, so you can definitely buy cheaper elsewhere.

However I'm surprised PS4 isn't coming with PS4 equivalent versions of the Sony Mobile apps - Album/PlayMemories, Movies and Walkman ... somehow I suspect it will.

On my Xperia I can have local music/video playing in the appropriate app, or I can tap Devices and select my home DLNA server and stream content form my NAS box. Provided the stream source is in a format the Sony app understands (which can cause frustration) it just starts playing it. I fail to see why Sony wouldn't include this functionality in the PS4. If the PS4 is willing to be my DLNA server, so much the better.

Also what's to stop Netflix from writing a PS4 Netflix program downloadable from PSN? Nothing AFAIK.

Sony smart TVs have tight integration between the Xperia apps and their own software, allowing me to throw content playing on my Xperia to the TV. I don't see any reason why Sony wouldn't put the same technology into the PS4 to offer Xperia users who don't have a Sony TV similar functionality - ultimately they'd love you to have Sony everything so why wouldn't they gear the equipment to do that.

Lack of USB connectivity and a small HD are annoying. HDMI has been the standard video/audio connector for ten years or so I have no problem with that decision. There's any number of adaptors to break and HDMI stream out into DVI and AC3 (for example), both of which can be converted to analogue if you really need them to be run through your SCART plug - good luck with the resolutions though.

No backwards compatibility with existing kit is irritating for previous fans. New adopters won't care.

As for the 300Mb patch - have you used an Xbox 360 recently. Every time I turn it on the bleeding thing seems to be downloading an update. Some are tiny, some are huge. Most seem to add more Sky content to my homepage urging me to pay Rupert Murdoch for his substandard football service and nothing else.

28. Miek
    Unhappy

Sounds like the most retarded step-backward I have ever heard of. The PS4 < PS3 in terms of features, such as playing audio CDs, MP3s, external storage support, Media streaming from your PC (as long as you don't stream er, music and videos)

What were they thinking ? I was very much decided that I probably won't buy a PS4 until a few years from now, but, after this article I probably will just ignore the very existence of the PS4.

29. Sheep!

Wow

I'm actually amazed. What Sony really seem to be forgetting is there's a massive installed base of PS3s already in the market, which will be good for games for a few years to come yet and work brilliantly as as an entertainment hub. As far as I can see, those with a PS3 are likely to simply stick with it and not toss away their investment which means Sony is going to have to go after first time buyers who are just as likely to buy a PS3. There will always be those who have to have the latest console to play the latest games, but I'm pretty sure those people don't represent the vast majority of their market, I'd wager most are like me who wanted to play some games but also use it as an all round entertainment center, so for people like me there's actually no point whatsoever in getting the new console in its current form.

Ah but wait a minute - you have to buy all-new, expensive accessories for it, It's not compatible with the rest of the universe, you can only play what they let you play and they have a locked-in ecosystem where they reap money from the applications developed for it.... They're going after the iPhone market!!

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My Amiga is better than your ST

Also, my C64 is better than your Spectrum, my Megadrive is better than your SNES and my Gamecube is better than your PS2.

Basically the same argument for 30 years...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like