back to article You like iPads, you like things called 'Air'. You will LOVE this puppy

As expected, Apple refreshed its iPad lineup on Tuesday morning. Unexpectedly, it renamed its top-of-the-line 9.7-inch tablet to the iPad Air. Seeing as how the MacBook Air has been one of Apple's most successful products in recent years, it's perhaps no surprise that Cook & Co.'s marketing folks decided to borrow some of that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Powderfinger
    Paris Hilton

Swype?

I've heard no mention of the new iPad's ability to use fully functional swype typing. That is the main reason I gave my 4th generation iPad to my son and got a Nexus 7. Processing speed was an issue as well on that iPad, but that is addressed in this newer version. Paris! Because she knows power of a swipe. That is all.

2. Powderfinger
    Coat

Full Size

My thoughts exactly, who ever said a 10'' tablet is a "full sized" tablet? It may be the most popular size but there are certainly larger ones as well. Mines the one with the empty pockets, as my 7 inch is in my hand.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

if it

wasn't that expensive... if it run Windows OS, which I have to use as my software is windows-based :(,

and if it didn't have that (...) glowing apple at the back - I would consider, sure ;)

p.s.: even if the battery life were half as decent.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

still no NEW innovation

A bit thinner and a "retina" screen? Is that it!

I HATE fanatics!

5. Rebajas

8x's what in the CPU shot - not 8x the previous iPad! And likewise for the 72x in the GPU shot...

I'm confused as to what they are comparing.

1. Rebajas

Thanks to whoever thumbed me down - very constructive...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Innovation?

New Apple kit, usual lovers v haters banter on here, even the usual Apple users complaints re whatever they think Apple should have added like mSD slots etc; dream on, its another hole in the casing and a remote chance some bright soul might find a way to boot a different OS on to an i thing.

But all these calls for something new and innovation, what exactly was anyone expecting?

Everything is down to money and despite Apple having a pretty decent bank balance, innovation that curtails adding to that cash pile and stock value, because thats all the shareholders are interested in, simply isn't going to happen any time soon. Ditto all the other companies.

Real innovation will take someone with VERY deep pockets and no shareholders.

7. kensal

WTF - 399

good news and updates from apple...lets face it there is no other tablet or mini-me that has the power performance or quality as their devices...its as simple as that...you'll get the odd Nexus user adding their simple suggesitons but we all know it doesn't really compare..expandable space isnt enough...however that is definitely one thing apple should start to introduce. BUT one thing that i just cant understand for the life of me which milly wood on cNET also expressed is how they can justify selling the iPAD 2 for $399..its just an insane amount for a 3yr old device...$399 my goodness...i'm sorry apple thats just damn greedy and insensitive of you to the loyal apple fanbois and anyone who actually might still want a 2..(and there are still many including schools - governing bodies - and small business and the odd cheapskate who probably still do use or want them. apart from that...keep up the good work....$399 unbelievable..lol

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You recent Nexus owners...

...must be kicking yourselves, crying like babies, or maybe both. Still, feel free to down vote me if it helps to validate your technology choice.

9. Marco van de Voort

Air

The Air rule excludes anything from Adobe :-)

10. Adam D

Where's the Touch ID?

Did the iPhone and iPad teams not talk to each other? That struck me as a rather odd omission from the new iPads...

11. RegKees
    WTF?

So Apple ups the performance by 100%-800% while at the same time reducing the weight by almost 50%, making for much improved usability and people still complain about a lack of innovation?

Compare this to the new Surface 2 or lets say the Xperia Tablet Z and explain to me how those are more significant updates than what this iPad Air brings to the table.

12. Stevie

Bah!

Call me again when the product is branded "Lighter Than Air". I'll buy a dozen and carry them at all times.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My daughter has one of the old ones.

It has no 3g, just wifi.

Bizarrely, it therefore doesn't have GPS, making it totally unusable outside the home.

Even more bizarrely, I let her waste her money on this.

So we're driving in the car, and I ask her for a traffic update over my wifi, and as we're going past cars, it changes where it thinks it is, based on where other people's phones have their tethering enabled.

So useful. I can't understand why everyone doesn't have one. You can lead a chump to an Apple Store, but you can't make them think.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's actually a little more than a pound

Since everything, including the Macbook Air 11" at 1.08 kg (2.38 lbs) and the new iPad mini at 331 g (0.73 lbs), is listed on Apple's website so precisely, it's deceptively inconsistent for them to list the 469 g iPad Air as simply "1 pound". It's really 1.03 lbs. Apple should be more careful about things like this because someone will notice and suggest they're lying. I don't really care, but I think Apple should. They should have either found a way to cut that 15 g (or 0.5 oz) or admit that they didn't _really_ make it "1 pound". It's an arbitrary figure anyways, but if they want that ring of perfectionistic conformity to imperial or metric measurements, they should actually conform to it. Otherwise, they're just making a big deal out of something they never actually accomplished. This far into the game, Apple should be more careful, in my opinion. They've got lots of competition and their own appeal rests a lot on people assuming they're the best, without doubt....

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like