back to article Massively leaked iFail 5S POUNDS pundits, EXCITES chavs

If it was tedious putting up with the prelaunch hype, it was at least entertaining this week to watch so many commentators backtrack on the cobblers they’d been serving up just hours before the event. I’m talking about the iPhone 5S/iPhone 5C launch, of course. Everyone else has expressed an opinion these past couple of days, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Can I safely buy a white 5C without fear of too much ridicule?"

Depends where you live.

Scotland - no problem except the usual banter from the Androids.

Shanghai - hide in shame. Or wait a week and buy a knock-off "iPhone 6GSx 2.0 Turbo" with a 9-inch screen.

1. adrian lynch

hatstand

Did Someone release a new phone?

It was good to be reminded of Roger Irrelevant. 'He's completely hatstand'. Still in use as an adjective in my house.

2. cortland

Vomit?

NOTHING to do with the 'phone; what did the writer's on-target characterization of the frantic blogging about it bring to mind?

Projectile Opinionating.

Congratulations.

3. implicateorder

I used to work for a company that sold samsung galaxy phones and no iPhones. I had the "newest" (back then) Galaxy II phone and after 6 months of use, the battery would drain after 15 minutes of talk time or the phone would simply mysteriously locked and only way to fix it was to yank the battery and insert it back in.

This was true with all my other colleagues who used those infernal devices...they simply sucked a$$.

After leaving that wireless telco, I bought my first iPhone (a 4s). It has been rock solid, does what it needs to. My 5 year old can use it to play games or cartoons on netflix when we are driving, etc. The battery life is excellent and things just work.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I've got an iphone 3G, its battery life is a bit rubbish now. Wouldn't it be nice if I could get to the battery without having to prise the case apart and dismantle most of the insides?

2. M Gale

Xperia Arc S here, from when it was "Sony Ericsson". Still working, though a bit long in the tooth now perhaps.

Not a perfect phone, but still damned fine. Dual GLONASS/GPS before the Applistas ever thought of the idea, and the ancient, replaceable battery still gets me all day if I don't hammer it. Camera's awesome for a 2011-vintage phone, pretty good even for a bleeding-edge new smartphone, and it can actually make calls while being held like a phone, unlike the iPhone 4 that it went up against.

I'll probably be getting a replacement in the next year or two, simply to take advantage of multiple cores and stupidly high-res screens (as if the current phone isn't high enough). However, this ol' Arc S still gets appreciative comments, mostly on the size and clarity of the screen. It really is eye-searingly bright and razor-sharp.

Oh, and it seems to play almost every video file I throw at it. All without being tied into some PC-based bloatware.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yeah, the Arc is a good phone!

3. Chet Mannly

"I used to work for a company that sold samsung galaxy phones and no iPhones. I had the "newest" (back then) Galaxy II phone and after 6 months of use, the battery would drain after 15 minutes of talk time or the phone would simply mysteriously locked and only way to fix it was to yank the battery and insert it back in."

So you used to sell mobile phones and had absolutely no idea how to use them then? Or is this just fanboi delusions?

I had a Galaxy S2 for over 2 years, still used the original battery and I'd get a day and a half out of it easy. Only replaced it after dropping it and cracking the screen.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iPhone leaks

I'm rather surprised Apple doesn't have a few next generation iPhones in development, the real one and a few decoys to throw people off the scent. It tends to make the announcements rather anticlimactic when everything is already known.

The only thing that wasn't well known was the A7 being 64 bit, there was a bit of speculation but it didn't reach the certainty level of the fingerprint sensor in the home button and new gold color option.

1. Chet Mannly

Re: iPhone leaks

"It tends to make the announcements rather anticlimactic when everything is already known"

Its called free publicity...

5. Mr Marshall

One of the few articles I have read that left me smiling

I have to agree with every word. I honestly hope Apple fall apart. Greedy and monotomous.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: One of the few articles I have read that left me smiling

upvote for reminding me of university geology (even if by mistake)

6. Daniel B.
    Coffee/keyboard

Chav Phone hahahaha

This article had me laughing really loud at the office. The line about the 5S appealing to chavs, rappers & hoes had most of my coworkers laughing as well.

7. Bob Sanders

5S + 5C = 5meh

The S in the 5S means Stagnant and the c in the 5C means Complacent.

Yes I do not own or want to own an Apple product but that is my choice. However I used to enjoy seeing what Apple came out with to push the development from other phones.

But now Apple is either playing catch-up or taking baby steps that are not revolutionary. Has all of their employees with ideas left the company? Or is innovation in this market DOA and it's down to tuning what is there ... to squeeze out an extra 20 minutes of battery life or make Siri able to talk like Sponge Bob? Or has Apple become like Microsoft and focusing on profits over innovation by releasing a few "new" things just to keep the profits coming in? (Hopefully not the last one we don't need a Big Step-Brother)

8. randommagic

Dunno why your all complaining. Apple was never known for innovation they are known for making things that just work. All the substance is in the design not the innovation. Design something that looks good and people will buy it in droves. They made a nice operating system but its never been known to do lots or have lots of features but its stable and does exactly what they say it does. I think too many people are expecting them to come up with another outstanding product but they won't because they have already made it on the first model. The upside to that was everyone else got the chance to see what something decent should look like and made the effort to improve. If they hadn't we would probably still be using that horrid windows mobile and a stupid stylus.

1. Chet Mannly

"Apple was never known for innovation"

Really? Development of the first widespread GUI? Incorporating a mouse into PCs? Did you miss all that "Think Different" promotion they used to do? Apple suing everyone for stealing their "innovations"?

Whether you think Apple actually are innovative they most definitely promote themselves as being that way - remember the "magical" ipad? the "revolutionary" app store?

9. John Wright

Where has the funny footnote gone?

I like that bit.

e.g Alistair Dabbs is a freelance technology tart, juggling IT journalism, editorial training and digital publishing. He has a propensity for breaking wristwatches in everyday accidents. He once regailed an eskimo party with an anecdote about buying and subsequently breaking more watches than they’d had hot dinners.

1. Alistair Dabbs

>> Where has the funny footnote gone?

I don't know but I suspect that its non-appearance confused several readers into thinking this was a news story. No wonder they thought it was poor.

1. Alistair Dabbs

Re: >> Where has the funny footnote gone?

OK, here's the sign-off that I wrote:

---

Alistair Dabbs is a freelance technology tart, juggling IT journalism, editorial training and digital publishing. He feels jaded by the iPhone 5 Sucks Cocks launch and wishes he could get back the oh-I-want-one-yes-I-do yearning that he felt when the original iPhone came out. His next handset might be an Android after all.

---

10. OldWarrior

Cmon Say what you Really Mean

LMAO One would think you were actually being nice if they had actually handled one of these. AAPL's miserly spending on R&D really shows now, as the Exec's loot the Hoard by giving each other bonuses ans Stock Options, the company sinks into irrelevance. AAPL is a "Momentum" stock, and this week has shown which way the momentum is going.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Pedantry Rules

Unless I'm very much "misteaken" Alistair & John Wright mean "regaled".

Both iPhone models will sell well.

My iPhone 4s is in a bright yellow Spigen SGP case.

Will be replaced in January with a 64GB 5s probably in another bright SGP case; if they are still in business.

And yes, I really am colour blind but at least all my devices are scratch free.

12. ReefMSX

Parody or Truth?

In the article you say the video is a parody. Is it really a parody if it's true?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I got an iPhone 6

It's called an HTC One.

14. Infernoz Bronze badge
    Happy

Just watch the film "Branded"

It sums up just how diabolical brand 'culture' has always been; people just become branded consumer cattle, vapid people, so both brands and consumers become ripe targets for satire.

Loved the satire in this article and video :)

I am amused how Nicholas Taleb rips into this newness 'culture' in his book Anti-Fragile, even his own, and his discussion of how the older something is, the more likely it is to last well over it's age again, unless it is obviously coming to an end.

1. bag o' spanners
      Pint

Re: Just watch the film "Branded"

Probably true. The older it is, the longer it lasts. Sewing machines in particular, because function is far more important than form when it comes to being productive.

Unfortunately, the march to instant obsolescence and brand-junkie repeat custom has deprived us of military spec components in most of our consumer electronics, and introduced a volume of intentional fragility to modern design. If a piece of kit works properly I'm not going to replace it with something shinier and vastly more expensive, simply in order to meet facile crypto-conformist expectations..

My beer tokens can always be spent on something more useful than keeping up with the Jobses.

15. Zack Mollusc

Regailed? Mr Dabbs should put the breaks on his slide into illiteracy before he looses his job. I thought old gits could spell?

1. Alister
      FAIL

I really. really hope you were doing it deliberately, otherwise your Fail is immense

16. 2Fat2Bald

Why did reading that article remind me of the misspent youth reading "Your Sinclair?"

Possibly because of the "Totally Hatstand" comment, actually.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anybody who is complaining is an idiot

If you're even vaguely aware of Apple's product history/cycle then you wouldn't be surprised (and thus complain) about the 5S being largely similar to the 5.

I mean, seriously, there was the 4S, and the 3GS before that. How ignorant can a person be that he's bowled over by Apple releasing a 5S that looks like a 5?

Also, the 5 is twice as fast and has twice the memory of the 5, among other obvious things. Why is it that releasing what amounts to a computer that's twice as fast now considered not changing anything?

If Intel released a chip that was twice as fast as the current ones, message boards wouldn't be flooded with posts about Intel always recycling the same crap over and over and never innovating. We'd be beating a path to Newegg to order one. But Apple makes something twice as fast and nobody at all is impressed. (And BTW, the 5S is likely going to be at least 50% faster than current Android phones, considering the 5 is still pretty competitive with the SGS4 on the benchmarks...)

1. EPurpl3

Re: Anybody who is complaining is an idiot

Well, 5s is ugly and even though is twice as fast as 5 is still rubbish compared to s4. So you have proved that not only that 5s is not great but also that 5 was garbage.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Haha, this article made my day... too bad I have read this at 6pm

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like