back to article Geneticists resolve human dilemma of Adam's boy-toy status

The largest-ever study of the male Y chromosome has shown that the so-called "Adam" – the most common genetic ancestor to modern humans – is much older than previously thought, which solves a troubling dilemma for geneticists. Geneticists have spent a lot of time examining the genes of humans in the hope for finding what's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Winkypop Silver badge
      Headmaster

Hang on there Cheetah...

I think you will find that humans and chimpanzees shared the same ancestor at one point.

We didn't evolve from chimps, they are simply our closest living cousins. Humans share about 99% of our DNA with chimpanzees.

1. cyborg
        Boffin

Re: Hang on there Cheetah...

But people don't understand what tree structures are. They only understand the list structure. Where we're at the "top" of the list and everything else isn't.

2. Yet Another Commentard

Re: Hang on there Cheetah...

"I think you will find that humans and chimpanzees shared the same ancestor at one point.

We didn't evolve from chimps, they are simply our closest living cousins. Humans share about 99% of our DNA with chimpanzees."

Yep, indeedy.

We share a common ancestor with modern day chimps (common and ever-shagging-but-still-endangered bonobos) about 6 million years ago (about 250,000 generations, giving rise to a whole new category yo great-great....great grandmother's so ugly jokes). It wasn't a chimp and it wasn't a human, its population split into the two genuses pan and homo.

We actually share a common ancestor with every living thing on the planet if you go back far enough.

Your 99%DNA quote may be correct; we share an incredible amount of DNA with most things, it's just how evolution works. You can see this in some proteins. I think one of the cytokines is identical (or near as dammit) in every living thing on the face of the planet.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meanwhile, if we are going to take on religion ...

For some juicy soundbites from a powerful intellect not unwilling to call spade a spade:

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/r/richard_dawkins.html

1. Kyle Roberts

Re: Meanwhile, if we are going to take on religion ...

And yet even Dawkin's powerful intellect is stumped when asked to give instances of mutations that add new information to the genome... talk about "believing despite a complete lack of evidence".

1. Ross K Silver badge

talk about "believing despite a complete lack of evidence".

Could you elaborate on that comment please? Creationists love quoting that Dawkins interview as some kind of great Creationist win, but there is some debate on whether or not the tape of the interview was edited for "dramatic effect".

Anyhow, I could just as easily ask you to give me a few examples of proof that Odin/God/Ganesh/Yahweh exists...

1. Kyle Roberts

Hi Ross

There was a debate, and accusations were made of an "ambush". The interviewer's answer was here:

http://www.trueorigin.org/ca_gb_01.asp

After a hundred years of searching and (for example) decades of studying fruit flies bombarded with radiation to induce mutations... one would think there would be many exmples.

It seems that Dawkins still hasn't answered with examples.

Re: proof God exists... it's a bit like asking me for proof my MOTHER exists. Show you her passport - could be FAKE. Show you a photo - Someone else's mother! The only thing I can do is appeal to logic that I MUST have had a mother (unless I was created from dust) because everyone has a mother.

1. Ross K Silver badge
            Facepalm

Re: proof God exists... it's a bit like asking me for proof my MOTHER exists. Show you her passport - could be FAKE. Show you a photo - Someone else's mother! The only thing I can do is appeal to logic that I MUST have had a mother (unless I was created from dust) because everyone has a mother.

The only thing you could do is appeal to logic? Not really.

A simple DNA test would prove that you are your mother's offspring.

But in short you're telling me there's no proof that one or any God exists - I'm simply expected to let logic wash over me?

1. Kyle Roberts

Ross K: "A simple DNA test would prove that you are your mother's offspring."

Good point for my argument. I suspect there would be those who would NOT accept DNA evidence either, as it is not 100%, only 99.99 something - if they had some irrational reason to hope she did not exist, even as some people hope there is no God!

"But in short you're telling me there's no proof that one or any God exists - I'm simply expected to let logic wash over me?"

A good dose of logic would do wonders for evolutionary science :-)

Yes, you can deduce by logic that a Creator exists, and even which of the many possible alternatives is the likely Real Creator.

Once you meet your Creator there is lots of evidence - but for most people it's going to look subjective and circumstantial. Doesn't make it wrong though.

2. Herby

Interesting, but...

Can someone explain why humans have 4 blood types (generally accepted ones)?

Most other species (Dogs, Cats, Cattle, Pigs, etc.) have only one.

3. DanceMan
    Thumb Up

"gets through the Pearly Gates"

Cute euphemism in an article about genetics and ancestry.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.