back to article Terror cops swoop on couple who Googled 'backpacks' and 'pressure cooker'

Freelance writer Michele Catalano thought she might get herself a pressure cooker to prepare Quinoa, the south American wonder-grain. Her husband wanted a new backpack. Both did what you do these days: go online and search for them. Catalano's husband did so from his work computer, and later left his job. Nothing to see here …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Nigel 11

Re: You don't need a pressure cooker to cook quinoa

You can cook rice in five minutes in a pressure cooker. Not sure who needs to save ten minutes of meal preparation, or why, but I guess it also works with quinoa!

1. Crisp

Land of the free, home of the brave

Why do they need a shadowy secret police like some sort of communist cold war state?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Land of the free, home of the brave

"Why do they need a shadowy secret police like some sort of communist cold war state?"

So the terrorists don't steal their freedoms, obviously.

2. C 18
    Mushroom

Honey trap is da bomb!

Okay, so "100 times a week"..."99 times...", that's a 1% hit rate for an undisclosed bounty.

What happens, do they actually find a 'pressure cooker in a backpack'?

Like flies around ...

'errorists ain't as stoopid as we're led to believe...

Soon robo-cop will be all they're prepared to send in 100 times a week...

I bet robo-cop won't be interested in quinoa...

Icon 'cos title

3. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

We're missing something here

I'm pretty convinced we've not been given the facts.

If the black helicopter platoons are going to be activated every time someon goes online to research a pressure cooker, the only thing that is going to get cooked is the law enforcement budget.

I'm not buying it. What I DO buy, is a dirty trick by the former employer. WHY did he start going through the search history of a former employee ? This smells of payback.

I suspect the employer was asked why on earth he wanted to examine former employees' computer use, and being fearful there would be privacy issues, he cooked up a plot to explain his sudden interest in someone that no longer worked for him anyway.

So he invented all manner of slip-of-the-tongue, clues and other bull. By the time he finished the poor ex employee was chairman of the worldwide Osama fanclub.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: We're missing something here

"If the black helicopter platoons are going to be activated every time someon goes online to research a pressure cooker, the only thing that is going to get cooked is the law enforcement budget".

With the greatest of respect, I believe that that turns out not to be the case. Given that my previous comment was presumably wrong - this incident happened in the USA, not Blighty - remember that the US federal government has shovelled literally trillions of dollars into the financial system, to replace those supposedly "lost" by curiously inept bankers. It has spent well north of $3 trillion on completely unnecessary (to say the very least) wars in Asia in the past ten years alone. It actually wants to inflate the dollar, so as to reduce the effective scale of its vast and unpayable debts.

Homeland Security is funded on a scale considerably larger than most nations' entire armed forces. And the more "suspicious activity" they find, the more staff they can hire and the bigger their budget will become. It's all good, from their point of view - until, that is, the rest of the world suddenly grasps one day that the emperor really is naked, and that dollars aren't worth the paper they are printed on (although of course most of them exist only inside compuers anyway).

4. abcman

More ex-employer

No one has a right to act like a moron. If the maroon at (possibly) Speco Technologies had a valid reason to think something was up, well, OK. Otherwise, we just wasted a bunch of time and money on nonsense. And silly stuff at that. ;-)

1. C 18
      Meh

Re: More ex-employer

>No one has a right to act like a moron.

Morons do.

5. RainForestGuppy

Surprising these things only happen to Freelance writers.

Sorry but this is just a load of BS made up this so called writer to get her name spread about.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Surprising these things only happen to Freelance writers.

>Sorry but this is just a load of BS made up this so called writer to get her name spread about.

Funny, but I've been thinking the exact same about most of the internet for some time now...

AC, because... irony...

6. Richard 81

The brute force approach

Visit 100 people a week and ask them "Are you the enemy?". If they say yes, shoot them.

Now, if only they could increase the number of "Are you the enemy?" checks a week, then this would be an excellent methodology.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Here???

I read to the end of the fine article in the belief that it must have happened in the USA. (The use of the term "SUV" rather than "Chelsea tractor" may have influenced me). Then suddenly the word "Suffolk" leaped out at me. Wha...??? Is that Suffolk Virginia, Suffolk Maine, or one of the many Suffolks in California?

We have it from many reliable sources, from the ancient Greeks to Jorge Luis Borges and Bertrand Russell, that police states are rendered tolerable only by the extreme inefficiency of the police. Gestapo meets the Keystone Cops, sort of. But now it seems that technology has enabled the secret police (for what else are we to call those casually-clad chaps in the SUVs?) to harrass wholesale.

Last but far from least, how the hell did they satisfy themselves that the Catalanos were not, in fact, cooking up a bomb? According to the article, they just hung out and chatted for a while. Not very rigorous. Proper security entails responding only to real - or plausible - threats, and investigating them thoroughly. Whereas these people appear to be doing the exact opposite: responding to thousands of false alarms, and getting into the habit of finding there is nothing to them.

It's as good a way as any of keeping the otherwise unemployed in paying work. But on the whole I would prefer John Maynard Keynes' idea of having them dig holes in the ground and then fill them in again.

8. adrian lynch

You should check the Gawker article on this story. It is not as clear-cut as you suggest.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Have you ever looked up how to make a pressure cooker bomb?

Hi there, of course I did, why?

are we sure they were not rehearsing for the Simpsons? Or maybe, some new (?) creative way to get free publicity for the company allegedly behind the disclosure?

10. adam payne

That must have been a scary situation.

How long before they turn up and excuse people of looking at suspected subversive websites?

1. Alien8n
      Alien

That's us cooked then....

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

99 of those visits turn out to be nothing

I wonder what that 1 remaining visit turns out to be. Maybe, like, if 1% of visits produce terrorists, drug plantations, sweat shops (nah, scrap that, that's legal), etc, then maybe this is the key - and they should carry out those random searches on regular basis. And, you know, random searches in shopping malls... airports... oh, sorry, they already do that. These fine measures used to go by the popular name of "round ups" (yes, I know we're still looking for evil terrorists, not those with missing IDs). In fact, if the ratio is so low (1/100), why not streamline it and, like, lock down the whole street and search every house, and every person. I'm sure they'll uncover "something"

1/2 off topic: as the technical terms is "roundup", I tried to see what it was in German, just to see what no-name they would come up. Shockingly, this term is totally unknown in German. I looked up wikipedia, and other reliable sources, like... wikipedia. Nothing. Nichts. Null....

1. Alien8n
      Alien

Re: 99 of those visits turn out to be nothing

Just rename the east coast Mega City One while they're at it?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Welcome to City 17

Our Benefactors would like to...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Alien

99% of visits turn out to be nothing

99% of visits that don't turn out to be nothing turn out to be insignificant.

99% of visits that are more than insignificant turn out to be households with criminal proceedings already underway.

The rest get fitted up because they're bored by now.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Suffolk

Jesus Christ, I didn't realize they even have a Police Department, let alone black SUVs... my my, what has that terror done to us...

1. Don Jefe

Re: Suffolk

The black SUV's are everywhere man, everywhere. You may not see them driving around but they are parked nearby somewhere. Here in the U.S. the black SUV's are often kept at the self storage facilities outside of most, even tiny, towns. They rent space for them in the same parking areas people park their RV's, campers and trailers at. Secure facilities with 24/7 access and basically hidden in plain site.

As an aside, the Loudoun County Adult Detention Center (the jail) in Leesburg, Virginia (USA) has an entire mechanized unit in their hanger. The equipment, complete with anti-armor weapons, is there in case the Feds need them.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Unhappy

"The black SUV's are everywhere man, everywhere. You may not see them driving around but they are parked nearby somewhere."

Now I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist...

Well the the US govt has had to fail out all the big auto makers (Is Chrysler on it's 3rd)?

What better way to kick start their next years sales than a bulk order for some American automotive icons?

Thus the Federal departments of Treasury, Prisons and Homeland Security work together to keep employment high and the prison business filled.

Whoopee for investing in America's future (as a police state).

1. Don Jefe

Yeah, government likes to buy vehicles. A few years ago the DOE was under some pressure to reduce the size of their fleet. They had significantly more vehicles than they had employees. Several dozen were missing entirely.

2. Allan George Dyer
        Facepalm

So Loudoun County is using their Jail as an armoury? Storing lots of weapons locked up with dangerous criminals?

Does anyone see a problem with that?

13. Arthur 1

The Employer

Just a quick question, can we name and shame the employer? I sure as hell know where I wouldn't want to work. Best case the boss is irrationally paranoid and/or brutally vindictive.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How to avoid being caught...

"Of course I'm not building a bomb, officer!! Have a nice day, bye!"

Well, duh! Like they'd admit to searching online for how to build a bomb. I'm guessing the 1/100 it does turn out to be "something" is when the poor sod who's door-step they've turned up on happens to be of Middle Eastern appearance so automatically gets the rubber hose treatment.

15. Gil Grissum

Your employer's equipment

Using his employer's computer for personal google searches was a bad idea. Employers can, will, and do monitor your internet browsing history and e-mail. Knowing that, I personally do not use my employer's computer equipment to do any personal Google searches. Since I work in Tech Support, I only occasionally visit relevant technology sites (like this one), for which, I cannot be sanctioned. I also do not send personal e-mails from my employer's computers. I use my smart phone for personal use, for e-mail, web browsing, and internet searches, which my employer cannot monitor nor tamper with. Had her husband used his smart phone for such searches instead of his employer's computer, this episode would not have happened.

16. Frumious Bandersnatch

who in the hell

has to look up the internet to find out how to make a "pressure cooker bomb"? Surely it can't be any more complicated than (a) make a big bomb, (b) put it in the pressure cooker with some bits of metal, and (c) close the pressure cooker.

Admittedly, I've never done this or looked it up, but I fail to see how it's any different (mutatis mutandis) from a pipe bomb. Isn't the name totally suggestive of the recipe for making it to anyone with two brain cells to rub together? That being so, does knowing the name of the device then constitute an offence for "possessing knowledge likely to be of use to a terrorist"? (Yes, that's actually a real crime where I live!)

1. Don Jefe
      Meh

Re: who in the hell

Well, according to Fox News & and a few Congressmen, it requires not only overseas training by an experienced bomb builder but also a sponsor with significant financial resources and a cadre of supporters at home all conspiring to design and build this 'weapon of mass destruction'.

If nothing else I think all this reflects very poorly on the US education system. Basic primary school science teaches you (or used to anyway) everything you need to know about doing this of you wanted. The fact so many people think it takes supervillain levels of knowledge and resources means there are a lot of idiots with poor educations in charge of the news and Congress.

Unhappy

"If nothing else I think all this reflects very poorly on the US education system. Basic primary school science teaches you (or used to anyway) everything you need to know about doing this of you wanted. The fact so many people think it takes supervillain levels of knowledge and resources means there are a lot of idiots with poor educations in charge of the news and Congress."

Indeed. The quality of the US domestic terrorist has gone through the floor since the Oklahoma City bomb and the apprehension of the unibomber.

It's not like there aren't enough expatriot Ulsterman with the necessary skills wondering around the land of the free to improve education in the pyrotechnic field should that be necessary.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"The quality of the US domestic terrorist has gone through the floor since the Oklahoma City bomb and the apprehension of the unibomber."

And the prize to the Weirdest Rant of the Weekend goes to...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I've always wondered why the 9/11 perpetrators had to have overseas backers funding them or planning the attack, or anything. It looks pretty simple (if terrifying): (1) Buy airline tickets; (2) board aircraft; (3) seize aircraft; (4) fly aircraft into buildings. Thus, everyone involved in the plot was probably dead by end of the attacks.

But that would be profoundly unsatisfying. How can you get revenge on people who are already dead - and, what's more, intentionally dead?

17. Neil Hoskins

Closing Sentence

Spot on.

18. TheOldFellow

Heartening story

I'm pleased to read this. It shows that the authorities are, in fact, taking things seriously, as they should. The guys boss is also to be congratulated for his vigilance. OK, these two were innocent, and all they got was an interview by the Men in Black. The regular American way, if we are to believe the press, is to drag them to Guantanamo and then interrogate them for 25 years without trial with the waterboard, or ship them to Saudi and get their friendly cops to get a confession under torture. It's good to know their budget doesn't run to that for everyone.

Unhappy

Re: Heartening story

"It's good to know their budget doesn't run to that for everyone."

Yet.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lost in translation?

It looks like the lads in Blighty are a little cornfused on this story. There was no "swooping on this family".

The FACTS are that the guy's former employer found unusual searchs on the guy's work computer for back packs and pressure cookers. After the Boston bombing where pressure cookers were used to build bombs and then left in back packs on the street to kill and injure people, it was very wise of the guy's former employer to alert authorities. The authorities conducted an interview at the guys residence and concluded he was not a threat. I'd say this was excellent work by the guy's former employer and authorities. They may have prevented more deaths and destruction by investigating these abnormal computer searches. that's all there is to the story despite the sensationalism by The Rag.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Lost in translation? Clearly an expert from NSA!

Where did you get all this classified info...Ed Snowden?

I think you work for the NSA!

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This means that the NSA actually did examine their emails.. So they do snoop on all Americans!

Wait! Wait! They denied that, and it's probably illegal anyway!

Wait! Wait! They paid the UK to look at the data stream. It isn't illegal for UK to examine foreign data. Then the UK fed back "a suspicious email trail" to the NSA, where using "foreign gained intelligence" on US nationals isn't illegal.

That's what the $100M is for!

Of course, we could make a good number of FBI agents redundant and save some cash, and maybe do the same at NSA. It appears that they can do these raids in the 100's, so clearly they have way too much time on their hands.

21. John F***ing Stepp

Based on a true life story. . .

Well, not really.*

(But, it would be so cool if this actually did happen; it would validate my massive purchase of tin foil in the last few years.)

*Really did not happen.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Frequently bought together.

Other shoppers who have bought "Large Pressure Cooker" also purchased "Unobtrusive Rucksack"

5% discount if bought together.

Free Delivery

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Frequently bought together.

Damn you! Coffee all over my keyboard THROUGH MY NOSE.

In future please give adequate warning.

23. Vince Lewis 1

Interesting....

Anyone that has read the article and defends the actions of the authorities is getting down voted.

It is absolutely ridiculous. The Fire Dept gets calls to House Fires that are Bonfires, Police get called to disturbances that are just loud movies and the FBI get called called to potential terrorists that were just a couple doing some personal shopping on work time.

Unfortunately these things happen and when a lot of your leads come from public information there will be more false leads with Anti Terrorist information.

The Agents themselves most likely thought this is going to be dead end but they have to follow up, just as the fireman heading off to a prank call would.

This is not an "Enemy of the State" or "V for Vendetta" paranoid government action, but reasonable suspicion followed up by a non violent visit and conversation.

I'm not saying there isn't an erosion of civil liberties or too much surveillance on law abiding citizens, because there is. But this was a simple case of something looking like something it wasn't.

24. Vince Lewis 1

Just realised who really doing the down voting

Lizard agents of the shadow government are influencing this board.

They don't want people thinking Agents are going about their jobs with out needless threats and violence, they want people to be in fear of every nature of the Government and Law enforcement.

Any notion of Anti terrorism units calmly talking to people, respecting peoples property and quietly leaving must be quashed. People must be made to fear their government its only through fear can they have control.

Meh

@Vince Lewis 1

"People must be made to fear their government its only through fear can they have control."

No, elements of the government want to create fear so that the people will accept their control.

Perhaps you should view " The Power of Nightmares "?

1. Vince Lewis 1

Re: @Vince Lewis 1

I'm well aware of the ideas of Fear and Control. FUD has been used and continues to be used.

The only reflection of the Effect of FUD with in this story is from the ex-employer that called the cops on a search History of "Pressure Cooker" and Backpack.

Yes its unfortunate their son looked at a "How a Pressure Cooker Bomb Works" online. But the authorities acted with respect and due diligence.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Backpack? Pressure cooker? I own both!

Should I turn myself in?

1. Vince Lewis 1

Re: Backpack? Pressure cooker? I own both!

Only if you cook rice in your back pack

2. Don Jefe

Immediately! Compliance and confession will lighten your heart and spare you a few weeks of waterboarding in Camp Freedom, Cuba.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Big Brother

"Should I turn myself in?"

Of course not.

Your surveillance and interrogation have already been scheduled.

Turning yourself in now will play havoc with the carefully planned (and costed) staffing chart.

But your thoughtfulness has been noted and is appreciated, citizen.

Of course, it would get you any actual leniency....

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.