back to article US Navy coughs $34.5m for hyper-kill railgun that DOESN'T self-destruct

BAE Systems has been handed a $34.5m contract to design a new version of a potentially game-changing weapon of the future. The US Office of Naval Research gave BAE the cash to build a new railgun prototype which is capable of firing up to 10 shots a minute, while staying cool enough that it doesn't blow up like previous …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    FAIL

check the numbers. $34. 5 to *Billions* Above Estimate.

Do you really need a time machine to how this will turn out?

But the powerpoints will be astonishing

1. Zmodem

Re: check the numbers. $34. 5 to *Billions* Above Estimate.

railgun projectiles create plasma, plasma is 12,000c or something, a inner barrel with plenty of vents would cool off while graphite is the heat sheild on the nasa shuttle

metal would just fracture if cooled to fast

1. Stoneshop
        FAIL

Zmodem, please shut your trap until you know that you know what you're talking about.

(which is, by current estimates, a couple of million years from now)

1. Zmodem

a platform being pushed along by ring magnets would`nt cause a gun to explode, the youtube videos of the US navy railgun shows all the plasma coming out of the barrel in slow motion

plasma drop in temperature soon after the core of the burst, as its not proper fire or something along the lines

having a inner barrel to mount the platform and magnets with plenty of vents, would give the plasma that little bit of time to cool, and have the real cooling system inside of the outter barrel

toughened graphite is used on most expensive things instead of metal because its man made and does what its made to do

1. Zmodem
            Gimp

yeah,........ init

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The definitive anti-windmill weapon!

take em out from 200 miles away. I want one.

3. a_mu

stealth boat

put this on a stealth boat,

now that would be a game changer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2185831/Declassified-170million-Cold-War-Stealth-boat-snapped-2-5million-condition-scrap-parts.html

Happy

Re: stealth boat

"http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2185831/Declassified-170million-Cold-War-Stealth-boat-snapped-2-5million-condition-scrap-parts.html"

OMG it's Elliot Carvers "yacht" from Tomorrow Never Dies."

14Knots, invisible on radar and with lots of interior cargo space. What's not to like?

Psychotic blonde henchman not included.

4. Mr Young
    Thumb Up

Ye, railgun, ye

A continent length one has always sounded cool - 0 to blah mph before flying to orbit!

5. Tunny

Value for money

In Pentagon terms anything with only six zeros after it must automatically be good value whether it works or not. Lets face it the million dollar loo seats worked.

6. Camilla Smythe

Vid Shows....

In amongst the ablative gun destroying stuff an ablative gun destroying projectile with the external aerodynamics of something that might be an an ablative gun destroying projectile internal to the gun...

Just a moment!!1!!

"BAE Systems has been handed a $34.5m contract to design a new version of a potentially game-changing weapon of the future."

That's a tenth of what Phorm, including lying bastard Kent, has pissed away to date.... notwithstanding someone else having to scrub the piss off the walls and the opportunity to Boff, old crusty, Girlies up to the top of Everest.

Rah Rah Rah. Jolly HockeySticks.

Gosh... Really helped the niggers out with that one.

Yes!! The locals do do some nice stuff. Food wise.

I'm orf to ride my Horse.

Well done. Tra Lah Lah.

7. shawnfromnh

EMP

I know small scale is possible "seen plans to make one for $100 online" so wouldn't it be a problem is a very large electro-magnetic pulse was release at the barrel while it was firing causing the mass being fired to jump and make the barrel explode.

I can't see this being used for anything but very long range targets for that reason.

8. Mystic Megabyte

Aim?

How do you aim these things?

Also if you were picking a fight with the likes of China "ten rounds a minute", send 11 cruise missiles in a minute. Game over.

1. Mr Young
      Thumb Up

Re: Aim?

You climb in and aim away from this planet! Dials at 11 and pray etc;

9. Wupspups

Dont use one set of rails!

Use 10 set of rails. Each rail set firing once a minute. Would give the cooling system a chance to work. if they could get enough juice they could even do salvo firing. Better chance of hitting something if you fire a salvo at it.

Plus there is the "My willy is bigger than your willy" boasting factor

10. TeeCee Gold badge

"..the railgun could usher in the second era of the dreadnoughts.."

I seriously doubt that.

Building a railgun equipped humungo-battleship is all well and good, but has a slight snag. One good shot from someone else's railgun and that's a lot of investment down the tubes. Armour has a way to go here.

I'd have though that small, fast and cheap ships with railguns would be the way to go. All the railgun punch, none of the irrelevant armour, speed makes them more difficult to hit at long ranges and the low cost/simplicity makes them simple and quick to replace.

You have to remember why Dreadnoughts went the way of the Dodo in the first place. It was nothing to do with any limitations in the armament, it was because all it took to ruin one's day was a dive bomber in the wrong place at the wrong time.

1. Steve 13

Re: "..the railgun could usher in the second era of the dreadnoughts.."

Small ,cheap, fast and with a nuclear reactor to provide power?

1. Charles 9

Re: "..the railgun could usher in the second era of the dreadnoughts.."

There's also the matter of recoil (railguns DO NOT make any attempt at bypassing Newtonian physics). Like it or not, you're going to need some mass to absorb all that kick or a broadside shot is going to seriously list (if not capsize) the platform on which it's mounted.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Be fascinating to find out a little more...

There's some impressive engineering going on somewhere behind the scences

Be interesting to know the launcher type and material choices. i.e. is it a railgun with a solid armature or a plasma armature, or is it a coilgun? All of them have their drawbacks, and I'll be impressed if you can get anything like the number of shots prior to barrel failure that you can with conventional big guns.

10 shots per minute probably means several barrels, to avoid overheating problems. It also means that someone thinks they've made a reliable pulsed power source, capable of taking on perhaps 10MJ or so of energy and releasing it again in the appropriate timescales.

Boffin

Re: Be fascinating to find out a little more...

Might I suggest the even years of the IEEE Trans on Magnetics.

IIRC Jan or Feb is their railgun / coilgun special edition conference proceedings.

Happy reading.

12. Imsimil Berati-Lahn

Sea Snake torpedo anyone?

"Delve special". Series 2, episode 1: A rocket for defence.

or for the more visual amongst you

"This is David Lander". Series 1, episode 5: The rocketing cost of defence.

Both as true today as they ever were. Truer, even.

Trouble with parody these days is that it's difficult make fiction more absurd than the reality it is mocking.

13. Dropper

Love of Weaponry

I've always maintained that men's love of firearms isn't really a love of firearms. We just want better fireworks than the guy living next door..

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.