back to article Gone

Promo article gone

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. mike acker

one of the Critical Questions that is missed by security systems is: WHICH PROGRAM DO YOU WANT TO USE FOR THAT?

when you LOG ONTO your system you are given access to files based on WHO you are and the Ownership of any file you want to open

you might want to review this

for example, if you are running a web page do you really want your browser to be able toaccess anything you have access to ?? remember, it's you AND the web-page running your browser...

to control this you need AppArmor,-- or RACF

1. Roland6 Silver badge

@mike acker - RACF

Now you're talking real security - it is a real shame that it is only available on zSeries - a platform that I suspect that many of the Windows and Linux folks will have had zero exposure to and would also probably refuse the opportunity to explore if given.

1. John Savard

Re: @mike acker - RACF

According to the Wikipedia article on RACF, Computer Associates now owns two products that compete with it: ACF2 and TopSecret. Perhaps they might be persuaded to port one of them to Windows or Linux?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The cynics guide to securing the desktop ..

Security, is expensive, is time consuming and management can't be bothered, much easier to have a number of meetings and then produce a report demonstrating your compliance ..

3. Peter2 Silver badge

I don't think there is a "most secure" operating system.

When it comes to the "most secure" the biggest issue is training, admins of any OS have extremely variable levels of competence and so do the users. A highly competent user and administrator on a more inherently insecure operating system (pick windows as an example) will actually deliver a very secure enviroment through not undertaking dangerious activities and hardening the system against unauthorised code execution/access.

An incompetent user and administrator on a computer with what may have a better security model (say *nix) who hasn't bothered patched anything because "linux doesn't need patches because it's more secure" who also runs as root is a walking security disaster.

Comparing the technical merits of two operating systems is easy out of the box, but who actually uses a box in it's out "of the box" configuration besides a few zealots? Ultimately the security of the system is going to depend entirely on the competence of it's users and administrators, and I think that it is very, very difficult to compare the expertise of administrators on two utterly different operating systems.

4. plrndl

Users

From a security viewpoint it doesn't really matter what OS you use, if you have totally untrained users who will click on "See <insert name of starlet> naked" links without thinking.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Users

Sir, I must complain - I clicked on your link "See <insert name of starlet> naked" and nothing happened, please correct this.

Thanks ;)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Live DVD running TAILS

https://tails.boum.org/

but check your crypto signature

6. 45RPM Silver badge

ZX80

Easy. It's an unexpanded ZX80. No one will be able to hack that sucker!

1. ThomH

Re: ZX80

I got 90% of the way towards hacking it but then a heavy breeze wobbled the RAM pack and I lost everything.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: ZX80

You need a blob of blu-tac about the size of a 50p.

7. Darren Barratt
    Trollface

Windows Vista

Because nobody could stand using it long enough to do any damage.

8. henrydddd

My elderly neighbor has the worlds safest computer

My next door neighbor had an old p3 computer. It was the safest in the world.

1. It was never hooked up to a network

2. No usb sticks were used

3. He only uses the software that he bought with that computer,

4. He never played a cd or dvd.

Sadly in the world today, if any one of the above activities are violated, the risk goes up no matter what operating system you use.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anyone claimed VMS yet?

Hmm?

1. jacasta
      Happy

Re: Anyone claimed VMS yet?

or RSTS/E ?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Most secure desktop tool: an abacus. Nuff said.

1. eulampios

slide rule

why is it more secure than the slide rule ?

11. jacasta

UX built to CC 3.1r4

Alias "defense-grade OS". EU implementation as ITSEC E6. Main precursor was DoD Orange Book. HP Labs probably had the first alpha of HPUX-10 to OB standard in the mid 90's but (officially) abandoned due to cost. Yes; it's "UX" - "nearly" Unix/Linux. There are versions today but not available commercially. Closest commercial relative - Linux!

12. eulampios

negating it

I would agree with the sentiments of defining what's secure really means first. I'd say OpenBSD, and hardened GNU/Linux or *BSD. A supported up-to-date (out of the box) GNU Linux is secure enough for the mundane stuff.

The "big target" theory is a hypothesis and might be too farfetched. We are not being offered any numeric connotation. What is a big target, what is a small target and what that relationship to security of OS is, exponential, polynomial or logarithmic?

One way to decide about the question though is to rule out some candidates. So answering the question, which (family of) OS's are most insecure, I'd definitely say that it's Microsoft Windows.

13. Herby

Please define...

"Secure Desktop". In the comments I've seen all sorts of definitions. Some make sense, but others don't. About the only thing that most will agree on is that a simple calculator is "secure". The problem is that it lasts only until someone divides by zero.

Oh, well.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Desktop security is all very well, but you need to look at everything as a whole.

Up until a few months ago KDE looked pretty good, then they nearly lost all their entire codebase because some programmers were in charge of the hosting infrastructure and thought that replication was the same as backup. When the inevitable happened, the only thing that saved the entire KDE project was that one node had been taken offline the previous day for disposal. ie: Total luck.

The upshot is - if you have the most secure OS/Desktop in the world, that's nothing if for some reason you can't install a new version because, it's owners went bust or a malicious employee destroyed the codebase or there was an accident, etc.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Qubes OS

http://qubes-os.org/trac/wiki/QubesArchitecture

or at the very least, using Virtualbox to isolate different activities on your desktop.... I never browse the internet in the same OS/VM as my main day-to-day work.....

16. David Glasgow

Where the Hell is Eadon?

I skipped the article and went straight for the comments to get my daily dose of MSogyny.

Only one poster accused of trolling, and it was pretty poor fair at that. Not enough capitals. Everyone else just being quirky, or reasonable, or a tad silly, or a bit too serious.

This is not what I come to expect. I demand to know if Eadon has been booted off. If so, let the cry go up.... 'free the Register one!'

17. FrankAlphaXII

OpenBSD is my pick for most secure

Id say the most secure OS you can deploy on a desktop is OpenBSD. I'm not denying that Linux has come a very long way, as has Windows and even OS X though I still have issues with the way Apple does things in regard to security, but as far as overall security goes OpenBSD's pretty much focused on it. The functionality is pretty easy to learn if you know any of the unix-like or UNIX operating systems.

Keep in mind though, there is no such thing as a completely secure information system. There are layers of security, as the principle of defense in depth applies of course, and a well defended system can be very difficult to crack, but nothing is completely secure. Believing that noone will ever be able to nail you is simply delusional. There will always be a vulnerability which can be exploited somewhere.

18. lunatik96

Whonix

The Whonix concept of running 2 virtual machines, one as a desktop and the other as a TOR anonymiser. The concept can run on any OS, however I prefer Linux as the base using Virtualbox or KVM. A lot of progress has been made on KVM. When WIN 7 gave me crap about installing a legal copy on my tower, I installed linux and Win7 in a virtual machine. I am NOT a gamer so that is not a consideration.

I also would run different flavors of Linux as the host and guest, just to make it more secure. I would pick the flavor (or 2) I like best as guest and use another for host.

19. jubtastic1
    Trollface

Oh you're going to hate me for this...

It's 6 years old, very popular, about three hundred million active users, commonly contains a treasure chest of personal and financial data, is powered on 24/365 while connected to multiple public networks. Seems to be doing ok so far despite its fair share of the technically incompetent masses.

20. lunatik96
    Big Brother

BeagleBone Black

Angstrom is built in firmware.

21. Herbert Meyer
    Big Brother

closed source is OUT !

Any closed source operating system can be, according to the martyr Snowdon, regarded as insecure, as they have back doors for NSA access. Unless each and every line of the OS source and toolchain can be inspected by suspicious minds, such as the Unix anarchists, and compiled from source, the OS will have a back door for NSA to insert its Iron Fist up the rectum of any system using it. Any back door used by the Iron Fist can also be used by third parties.

Further, according to the martyr Snowdon, other security holes can be unpatched and unpublic, until the Iron Fist allows them to be patched and publicized, because they are not being exploited by the Iron Fist.

My Finnish is not good enough to translate the response to "Please Mr Linus, can we put a back door in your kernel ?", It would start with "F no !", and contain a graphic description of your grandmother having sex with a reindeer. Similar responses would come, in various languages from the BSD authors.

I trust these boys a damn sight more than the sons of Balmer and Cox, even if the Sainted Jobs did not allow it.

22. FutureShock999

It's the oldies but goodies...and the oddballs

Two of my nominations (VMS and AS/400, both of which I learned to program on) have been mentioned, but I will add:

1) BeOS

2) NeXT

3) Plan 9 (running on a Raspberry Pi, of course)

4) I've listened to all of the Commodore 64 and other ancient PC nominations with a laugh. Too common. You want secure? Ohio Scientific Synmon OS for their C1P model. I still have mine in the loft...now THAT is secure.

23. WhizzMan

Critical Infrastructure

I've worked for several Critical Infrastructure customers in my career. Without exception, they all run Linux on the desktops that are used to manage the actual critical infrastructure. Being involved in both security and infrastructure administration, I can tell why they chose Linux.

1) Long term support. They all chose a distribution that would give their desktops an 8+ year life cycle. This was guaranteed at the moment they chose. Neither Windows nor OSX get promises like these at the launch of a new version.

1a) Portability; applications are usually easy to use on newer versions of linux. I've seen applications go for over 20 years. Both OSX and Windows don't have that track record. Granted, those applications came from UNIX, but still.

2) Customizability. Making an OS secure in the exact situation you are facing, requires good access "under the hood". Both OSX and Windows lack a lot here. They may have improved a lot, but they are still behind. Mind you, even if you have reasonable tools, it's still a highly specialized job and getting it right requires experts regardless of the OS you choose.

3) Designed as multi user, default deny, separate admin and user roles. Both Windows and OSX are designed for users first, then admin layers are added. Admin tools assume (partial) administration by the user. Because of the security model, there are large parts of Windows and OSX that are on "default allow" and only shielded by very thin security measures. This gives malware a big(ger) chance to break through on those than on (well implemented) Linux. For a critical infrastructure desktop you want something that just works and that is administered by people that are skilled admins and security experts, regardless of the OS.

Why not some form of BSD or Solaris? There is no commercial support for BSD easily available. If you want a vendor to support you because of hardware problems, you won't find hardware that will do so. Finding admins that are expert on both security and configuration of any of the BSD flavors will be difficult. This doesn't mean that some form of BSD isn't potentially as good as Linux, but that in practice, getting it up to that level is much harder for an organization. Getting Solaris supported is a pain and costs much more than Linux. The moment you run your own applications, all support is practically useless, so going that route is a dead end.

1. pklausner
      Holmes

Re: Critical Infrastructure

Serious question: which vendor will give you 8+ years of *Linux desktop* support?

And while it may be true that you can compile 20 years old Unix software on said 8 years old desktop - how do you fare with 8 months old Linux software?

1. itzman

Redhat?

IBM?

Do you actually NEED it?

our default model for WINDOWS was 'all important data on the server' if desktop crashes, spend 20 mins trying to fix, otherwise reinstall '

You can do the same with Linux. Just have a default 'desktop installation DVD' and if it gets snarfed, load that and reinstall.

If the /home/user is NFS mounted, that is. All back and running. Unless it's the /home/user that got snarfed, in which case your autobackup from last night wont be overwritten yet, so restore from that .

That also allows you to hot desk. Log in as yourself on any machine and see the same darned environment.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: 8+ years of *Linux desktop* support?

Slackware does a pretty good job of updates for old versions. 12.1 is still getting patches, and must be 5+years by now.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If you want BSD administrators, or software, try the OpenBSD website. I'm sure that if you contact them they can put you in contact with professionals and not those versed only in OpenBSD.

24. ForthIsNotDead

It's VMS.

It's as simple as that.

25. trafalgar

The one where you have the freedom and access to see how it works and what it is doing, and free to make it as secure as you like.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There's always one...

...muppet who thinks that viruses are predictable based on the "bums on seats" measurement and that therefore if Linux were the number 1 OS, that it would suffer as much as Windows currently does.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

It's like saying that because your toy canoe couldn't cope with a North Atlantic gale that any vessel designed for ocean going could also not withstand a North Atlantic Gale. Of course, the makers of your toy canoe are going to pitch this line at you, they don't want you to go and buy a vessel capable of such conditions, they want you to keep buying toy canoes and all the strap on extras they and their partners provide to make your toy canoe appear as though it could cope with a North Atlantic Gale. Which it wil never be able to do, because it's a toy. Toy canoe makers rely on urban myths and ignorance to maintain their sales figures. Real sailors are getting really tired of explaining the difference to sunday afternon toe dippers.

27. MrScott
    Childcatcher

Answer to OS security question

The answer to El-Regs OS security question. As much as boffins hate to admit it, their is no such thing as a secure operating system. OS's are designed to be user friendly to multiple users. Unless the Big Softies have found a way to completely isolate the user with some sort of perfect Evil-User detection software or remove all the IO and user interfaces without impacting usability. Lets proceed to the obvious conclusion. The abacus or the human brain is probably the most secure OS ever created. The fact that lifeforms create software might not exclude whales since their brains are bigger and probably smarter that human brains. I'll choose a whale brain cuz whales are smart enough not to try writing security software. Squid and plankton anyone?

28. Wardy01

I'VE GOT IT !!!

ESXi

1. You never interact with it.

2. Everything runs in an instance which is fired up and then shut down.

3. It can be setup so entire domains running on it have no access to the files that are the ESXi OS.

4. Never seen or heard of a virus targetted at it.

5. Exploits are pointless since you only ever talk to a host OS running on it.

It's a bit bull in china shop ... and built for servers (big ones at that) ... but it makes an awesome desktop OS to host your "environment".

Also means you get the best of all worlds since you can run any OS on top of it!!!

The way I see it there's only 1 "unauthorised" way in ... take the hard drive out and plug it in to another pc then access the files.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

LegOS

LegOS. It runs purely on the popular building-block platform and therefore only exists in the human imagination.

30. William Higinbotham

Apps on top of OS

I personally feel that the browsers or applications(that uses internet communications) that run on top of the OS can compromise the OS faster than the OSes themselves. But nothing beats a cinder-block on top of hand written paperwork. Just had to say something for NSA to read.

31. cdshafer

Secure Operating system

Ok Bill Gates was once asked what is the most secure OS he ever made. His answer was a computer that is never hooked up to the internet. As for the most secure OS he ever made is Windows 95 because you can not network more than 5 computers together. But I have proven this to be wrong also. I have loaded Windows 95 on a 2002 ASUS computer and gone online and surfed the net just fine. A little slow at loading web pages but it worked. So therefore there is no secure operating system. Even Apple and Linux are both vunerable if you know how to wright code.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.