back to article Julian Assange: I'm quite happy to sleep on Ecuador's sofa FOREVER

Julian Assange says he'll stay in the Ecuadorian embassy in London even if allegations of sexual assault against him in Sweden are dropped. The Wikileaks supremo said that even if the Scandinavian cops decide not to clap their hands on him, he still fears he will be extradited to the US for publishing thousands of confidential …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm, wonder when he last went to the Dentist?

Suspect the status qou will remain until he needs medical treatment or is he literally prepared to die in the Ecudorian embassy? No doubt there will be a plea on humanitarian grounds that he should not be arrested/extrtadited whilst receiving medical treatment..

It bugs me that won't answer for his actions and we are left to pick up the bill for his actions, why hasn't the government sent him an invoice for the cost???

1. Scorchio!!

"Hmm, wonder when he last went to the Dentist?"

Speaking of which (and here I am whiling away some time), perhaps a leak of some nasty but not terminal airborne bacterium into the 'Embassy' flat, something that is only treatable by means of barrier nursing in a well equipped hospital, or perhaps a prison hospital wing. Heh.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
    Happy

He's Australian

Can't we have a permanent BBQ with XXXX (cos they can't spell piss beer) on the pavement outside. Perhaps a few of his countrymen getting stuffed at cricket as well. Plus a nice sheep or two to steal. I'm sure all that lot would make him feel at home, and maybe tempt him out.

I guess we'd need to put up some floodlights to try and pretend that it's sunny though.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

Re: He's Australian

Like you did with your former asset Noriega, when he turned insane and insisted that Panama is a sovereign nation ? Sounds like a great plan and surely all the Brito-sheeply will like that very much indeed.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: He's Australian

Firstly, I wasn't being serious. I was having an unjustified dig at Australia / Australians. I'm hoping for an Ashes triumph to celebrate soon, with a side-order of gloating.

As for your 'points'. Norriega was a CIA asset. Not British. Much to their embarrassment he was supposed to be giving them intelligence on drug-running, and was in fact himself drug-running. I'm assuming he didn't get round to telling them that particular bit. I seem to recall they paid him serious money as well.

I don't believe he was ever acting in the best interests of the people of Panama. Not that the CIA were either.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pretty funny

As if Assange has any choice. He's a marked man and will be brought to justice or die.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pretty funny

The very fact that Assange actually HAD the ability to make choices is what has so amusingly landed him in the hole he's in.

He didn't have to go to Sweden. He didn't have to sleep with those 2 girls. He didn't have to try and get away with unprotected sex. He could have stayed and face the music in Sweden. He could have had an STD test when asked (this one I personally find rather interesting, because the STD angle has been seriously underplayed up until now and I wonder if any of the girls have come up positive). He could have collaborated with the extradition process. He could have hidden away in the UK somewhere. He could *still* face the music in Sweden and so demonstrate that the US was indeed grabbing him - hey, be a martyr for "the cause" (well, not if "the cause" is "the self promotion of Assange").

I mean - the sheer string of free choices he's had so far is staggering, even more the complete hash he's made of it, and his explanations have managed to top all of this and have comprehensively blown the fuse of my BS meter (actually, that could have happened after hearing all those people "defend" him regardless).

It's hard to believe all of this happened in the dramatically repressed and corrupt regimes of Sweden and the UK (I'm paraphrasing here, sorry, it's called sarcasm).

1. Scorchio!!
        Thumb Up

Re: Pretty funny

"this one I personally find rather interesting, because the STD angle has been seriously underplayed up until now and I wonder if any of the girls have come up positive"

Indeed, and I had pondered this matter long ago - how long is it since he fled the Swedish jurisdiction - you see, if this really was a put up job by the CIA, it would have been in their best interests to find a woman with a very transmissible STD to infect him, HIV preferably. That way they could claim that Assange infected them... ...it is also the case that Assange will make precisely such a claim, even if he were guilty of transmitting such an infection. Perhaps the Scandinavian predilection for regular health checks might reveal a negative test prior to Julian's 'entry'.

Please do not apologise for your mixed sarcasm and irony. The situation merits it; sometimes children lie so convincingly and with such indignation, even when their material is so poor, that fools are pulled in to support them; Assange is, IMNSVHO, one of those children.

4. A J Stiles
    WTF?

So .....

In order to avoid being locked up in a small room, he has locked himself up in a small room.

That makes a lot of sense .....

5. Derpity

Digs

Anyone know what the digs are actually like in the embassy? Perhaps they're way better than he had back home and just doesn't want to give them up.

1. Scorchio!!
      Angel

Re: Digs

Only one thing is lacking; a 16 year old girl to bear him a son.

6. Killing Time
    WTF?

He really is stretching an semblance of credibility now..... It will be rather amusing to see him being booted out onto the street when the Ecuadorians have exhausted their political posturing. I wonder if his gear will be ejected after him. I'd buy a ticket to see that.

His relevance faded some time ago...what a saddo....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That could actually be quite a good gag - set some fictitious date and start selling tickets nearby to "the ejection of Assange".

7. bailey86

the US has done it's work

Somehow, someone who has more balls and more technical ability than anyone posting on these forums has been royally screwed over - and has been vilified and made into a scapegoat.

He did not murder civilians, he did not even steal the info. He has merely set up a system to enable us to see what a morally bankrupt political system is up to.

Ask yourself, would you rather wikileaks didn't exist? Do you think it's OK for the US government to secretly do whatever it likes - Guantanamo, rendition, regime change, police brutality, Drone attacks, Abu Grahib, Prism, etc etc etc?

We need brave people to stand up to evil - not sheep who can't see a scapegoat being set up right before their eyes.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: the US has done it's work

Somehow, someone who has more balls and more technical ability than anyone posting on these forums has been royally screwed over - and has been vilified and made into a scapegoat.

If he had balls he'd have at least his blood tested for STDs. To me, that would have been an easy thing to do, and anyone with a shred of decency would have at least acted to put the minds of those 2 girls at rest. As for technical ability: seriously? You really have no idea of some of the people on this forum..

As for the scapegoating, he's done that all by himself.

He did not murder civilians, he did not even steal the info. He has merely set up a system to enable us to see what a morally bankrupt political system is up to.

He encouraged people to report things that were wrong, and then abused that information for his own ends with no regards for the consequences. Technically, that makes you correct: he has only ever killed people by proxy. I leave it up to you to decide that the good outweighs the bad here - that's an opinion anyone should form for themselves. Just don't try to sell Assange as some sort of hero - he has always just been into this for himself as far as his actions show.

Ask yourself, would you rather wikileaks didn't exist? Do you think it's OK for the US government to secretly do whatever it likes - Guantanamo, rendition, regime change, police brutality, Drone attacks, Abu Grahib, Prism, etc etc etc?

Snowden has been smart enough to avoid Wikileak, although I noticed with some amusement that Assange was attempting to ride the publicity by claiming "he'd been in indirect contact with Snowden's people". That's total BS - "I have talked to someone who knows him from his years in primary school" has just about the same value.

We need brave people to stand up to evil - not sheep who can't see a scapegoat being set up right before their eyes.

If we really insist on the "evil" following laws and have the guilty punished, we cannot make exceptions. Even when the possibly guilty ones are called Assange. That's not scapegoating, that's being consistent.

1. bailey86

'As for technical ability: seriously? You really have no idea of some of the people on this forum..'

OK - more technical ability than *most* of the people posting on this site.

'for his own ends' - you're just assuming that.

Could equally be 'for the benefit of freedom and democracy'.

'Just don't try to sell Assange as some sort of hero'

Anyone who stands up to the full might of the good ol' US of A is certainly brave - and doing it to expose immoral acts carried out by that government certainly makes them heroic. I'm not sure how many of us would have the balls to do it.

'attempting to ride the publicity' - again that's merely your opinion.

What I'm saying is that there is a cleverly built consensus that Asssange is an egotist - where did that come from? How was it built?

'Snowden has been smart enough to avoid Wikileak' Why smart? I don't understand you. Are you saying you hate Wikileaks and would prefer it not to exist? Surely, the more ways of getting dirty secrets out the better?

And let's now see what happens to Snowden. The vilification has probably already started.

'by claiming "he'd been in indirect contact with Snowden's people". That's total BS'

How do you know it's BS? That's you assuming the worst about Asssange - why? It could well be true.

'If we really insist on the "evil" following laws and have the guilty punished, we cannot make exceptions'. I think you're saying that we should all obey all the laws at all times no matter what evil a government is up to.

What about when governments are subverting/breaking/inventing laws for immoral reasons - protecting the rich, locking people up without trial, repressing the poor, etc etc. To point out the obvious (and to prove Godwin's law), Hitler/Stalin/etc all had plenty of laws. They also cleverly invented plenty of scapegoats and fooled millions.

1. Don Jefe
          Meh

Here's the thing. Assange doesn't care about anything that isn't Assange. He's screwed all his friends and supporters, isn't man enough to stand up to allegations besmirching his honor and his 'glorious mission' had no goal other than attention. He would blab his own mothers deepest secrets if it could get him an interview with anyone. He is a man without honor. No global conspiracy or grudge by other nations is required to make this person undesirable in every way imaginable.

2. Scorchio!!
          FAIL

[...]

Paywall in connection with which he berated Guardian journalists for releasing 'his' data (I can only assume because it was Julie's passport to a wealthy future, in contradistinction to that which awaits the barely helped Bradley Manning), substantial advance from publishing company from whose contract he broke off without returning the money, £80,000 odd salary, request for one million (dollars I believe) for interview about film [...], convicted on 17 counts in the 1990s on of which involved hacking the Australian force investigating his illegal behaviours, fleeing a jurisdiction knowing that he was about to be charged, on arrival from flight (understandably) fighting for bail and gulling people to stand the money he again flees the jurisdiction, each flight based on spurious argumenta in respect of the bogeyman...

...the break by Domscheit-Berg (clearly a discerning man whose meatspace experience of Assange was enough to stimulate insight into this 'individual') on the very well known grounds that Assange was running a ropey organisation with no accountability and no controls and behaved badly to staff in the 'organisation', his track record of sexual behaviour which led his former 16 year old partner and mother of his child to indicate the son was as bad as the father (how interesting, a heritable trait presumably, since Julie didn't hang around to parent the child, and look how the son has turned out) and to hide herself, the episode in London where he 'snatched' a journalist's woman friend and, as he walked away, turned and adopted a puglilist's stance, shaking his fists at his chosen competitor...

...this is the tip of Assange's iceberg, and it is interesting to see, in spite of the preponderance of evidence showing him to be a thoroughly disreputable man whose predictable behaviour enabled him to gull the British CJS into giving him bail and all of the other nonsense, including his flight from Sweden...

...and remember, his legal counsel maintained, right up until he appeared in a UK court, that there'd been no contact from the Swedish police, at which point in court he consulted his mobile phone records and determined they had been in contact; how'd he miss that? Did he perhaps act in accordance with Julie's wishes, or what he thought were Julie's wishes? Is it not odd that seemingly sane people put themselves into such difficult positions, financially, legally and/or professionally, for this convict? Everything about him should say "run", but there are plenty of suckers, and therein lies a clue or three.

What you've offered is speculation, what I've offered is fact. Rhetorically I wonder why you and many others continue to speculate in a manner that favours Julie, in the face of so much hard fact. Do you ever wonder if the Afghan informants survived, and perhaps their families and children too? Do you think that Julie does? What would you do if someone pointed a RPG at you? What do your soldierly instincts tell you to do? Think quickly now for, even though this is a simulation, you do not have long.

1. bailey86

OK.

You're making bold statements. Do you have any links to back all the points you made?

2. bailey86

'Snowden has been smart enough to avoid Wikileak, although I noticed with some amusement that Assange was attempting to ride the publicity by claiming "he'd been in indirect contact with Snowden's people". That's total BS'

Seems that it was not total BS as you so boldly asserted. So, the other statements you've made are suspect as well.

2. david wilson

>>"Ask yourself, would you rather wikileaks didn't exist? Do you think it's OK for the US government to secretly do whatever it likes - Guantanamo, rendition, regime change, police brutality, Drone attacks, Abu Grahib, Prism, etc etc etc?"

a) It wasn't the first internet leaks site, though it certainly did do a good job at making more people aware of its existence then earlier ones, which may well have motivated many people to give it information

b) People old enough to remember the mists of time *before* random citizens had the Internet know that there were outlets for information which managed to print it even when it did embarrass governments, even to the point of heads of government being removed.

c) People who were grown-ups before wikileaks were already frequently cynical about their governments.

d) The existence of Guantanamo bay detention and controversy surrounding it wasn't a secret wikileaks revealed. They released some information about it after it had long been a source of concern for many people, and frequently mentioned in mainstream media.

e) People have been well aware of all mannner of police brutality for generations, via regular media.

f) Abu Ghraib abuses were exposed by the army revealing their own investigation into them in 2004. Wikilieaks started in 2006.

Wikileaks can be useful, but the world wouldn't wither and die without it, and it's not obvious why it should depend on one person if has importance to enough people.

Neither is it immediately obvious that splurging large amounts of frequently irrelevant information onto the net has done more good than a few pieces of careful journalism would have done.

3. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: failey86 Re: the US has done it's work

".....would you rather wikileaks didn't exist?......" A$$nut does not equal Wikileaks.

8. mIRCat
    Pint

I'm quite happy to sleep on Ecuador's sofa

"...FOREVER"

We've all had that guest that crashed on the couch for a night and was still there a week later.

Cheers to whomever has to clean Equadors couch.

1. Don Jefe
      Happy

Re: I'm quite happy to sleep on Ecuador's sofa

Julian Assange is the ultimate couch barnacle.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New housing?

Why doesn't the UK do this:

Hey, Ecuador?

Yea, UK?

We feel bad about your embassy being a bit shabby - how about we give you this nice new building over here?

What's the catch?

None! we just want you to have a better building.

OK, let's look it over. Hmm, very nice. Good parking, too. It's even furnished! We'll take it. Just let us move our stuff. Well, most of it. I guess we don't need to move our old furniture, like this ratty old couch - it is OK if we just leave it here?

Sure, no problem, we can clean up the building when you are out of it.

10. Benjol
    Paris Hilton

Could someone explain to me why he only started worrying about the US extraditing him from Sweden AFTER the rape charges? Surely if there was a risk of them nabbing him, it wasn't dependent on him being simultaneously wanted by the Swedish police?

Confused

1. david wilson

To be fair to him, he was supposedly in Sweden to try and get residence/legal protection as a journalist, and he had been expressing worries about action by other countries, which whether well-founded or not would be likely to be given a nudge by any kind of unwelcome contact with the state.

And various people in the US *had* been calling for something to be done about him - even if that was largely politicians talking tough to play to the home crowd, it'd be hard to entirely ignore.

1. Ian Michael Gumby
        Boffin

Not exactly...

Ok...

First in releasing the data, he was in a little bit of hurt. But there is a SCOTUS decision back in 1971 that gave him a bit of a shield of protection. This was why many of the worlds press said that he was a journalist so he should be protected when he published the documents.

But what scared him was what came out of the Article 32 hearing. That was the first time that any shred of evidence that would tie Assange to the theft of the documents occurred.

What comes out in Manning's trial is going to end up scaring Assange.

The other issue of the rape charges. If charged and found guilty, even if he doesn't face prison time, he's a convicted felon. So no safe haven in a lot of countries.

The odds were that if he ran, they wouldn't charge him. But that didn't work. He definitely pissed off a few of the wrong crowd.

1. Scorchio!!
          Thumb Up

Re: Not exactly...

"If charged and found guilty, even if he doesn't face prison time, he's a convicted felon."

Let's not forget that he already is a convicted (on 17 counts) felon!

"What comes out in Manning's trial is going to end up scaring Assange."

I've invested in popcorn. I can't wait to see the evidence, not that he is a stranger to breaking and entering US military computers, because he did that in person. As we all know. Even his camp followers.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeah but the Swedish definition of rape includes all kinds of stuff that isn't even a crime here.

Yet, the courts came repeatedly to the conclusion that the reasons for the extradition request had UK equivalents, and he would have faced the same problems in the UK, and this very conclusion formed the basis of approval of the extradition. What else the Swedes do is irrelevant.

They could have sorted it out before he ever left Sweden they are abusing the system

Well, if Assange had not fled from the consequences of his own actions it would have indeed been sorted long ago. I don't see any abuse here other than a man wanted for questioning using every trick in the book to avoid that questioning.

12. Graham Jordan

99.97%

Well that's hardly as bad as 99.98%.

Stop being a pussy and take the risks, the odds aren't that bad.

13. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

"There is a 99.97 per cent chance that I will be indicted."

I bet he's rounding up...

14. Rabster

Legal myths

Not surprising to see so many of the myths appearing here again.

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/david-allen-green/2012/09/legal-mythology-extradition-julian-assange

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like