back to article Nokia, Microsoft put on brave face as Lumia 925s parachute into Blighty

Nokia's latest premium smartphone, the Lumia 925, is now shipping in the UK. And staff at the mobe-maker told reporters they will be working more closely with Microsoft, which is responsible for the handset's Windows Phone 8 OS, with most of the cooperation focusing on joint-marketing campaigns. The new Lumia 925 puts the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Gadgety

"Of the four major Windows Phone licensees (Nokia, Samsung, HTC and Huawei) only Nokia has bet the ranch on the Redmond OS, and is putting its very best work into the Win8 phones."

I wonder why with a CEO who used to own 7% of Microsoft's shares...

2. Mark 176

Looks nice, I'd love this phone with stock android.

3. davemcwish

16Gb and no SD card ?

They are obviously trying to copy the Apple model (we say you don't need lots of storage for apps and music). 16Gb is diddly squat even before you allocate 10% ? for system files.

4. 20legend
    WTF?

@Kristian Walsh

"Anyway, these WP8 devices are at the higher end of the market, which implies a longer working life"

Pardon my French, but how the fuck did you draw that misguided conclusion???

Since when has a product's price implied it's expected length of working life?

In high-end smartphone terms it's irrelevant anyway, as most top-end handsets are superseded by a new model in a 1yr to 18months, out of production within 2 yrs, and flogged on at knock down prices on ebay within 3yrs.

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Re: @Kristian Walsh

Well, I started by knowing what the fuck "working life" actually means, if you'll pardon my French. Working life is how long the device is expected to remain fit for purpose. It has nothing to do with how many owners it goes through, or how often you personally toss your current phone and get a new one.

The first principle is that if other headline specifications are kept equal, a device's Mean Time Between Failures will be proportional to its component cost. Longer-lasting components cost more: always have, always will. In other words, the more expensive devices don't wear out as quickly.

Second, cheaper devices have lower headline specifications. Lower specifications within a product family mean that it will run out of support updates sooner than a device with more storage, faster CPU, more RAM, etc. Again, the more expensive device lasts longer, in that they remain able to do more of what the latest devices can.

This has nothing to do with how long you personally keep the device, but for how long the device remains usable to somebody. (I was also referring to using it for applications, because any smartphone is still usable as a phone/email/calendar long after it can't run new apps.)

The fact that you can sell a top-end smartphone on eBay three years after launch implies that someone is willing to buy it, and then use it. So that's your three years of use, plus another one or two from the next owner. That's what I mean by a longer working life.

It's a lot harder to sell a low-end device for the same kind of percentage return, which implies that there are fewer buyers for it, even at the lower absolute price, and the primary reason for this is that the device would be of less use to them.

5. briesmith

Lumias

Got a Lumia 820 and it's a very good device. If Nokia could find their way clear to providing a battery that lasts long enough to turn it on AND do something; like make a phone call, read an email, that sort of thing it would become an excellent device, good enough to be a phone.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like