back to article FLABBER-JASTED: It's 'jif', NOT '.gif', says man who should know

The internet - and especially the recently-sold content sausage machine Tumblr, epicentre of the animated gif rebirth - is reeling today at the news that when referring to image files formatted as .gifs one should pronounce it "jif". That's according to no less an authority than Steve Wilhite, the man who invented the Graphics …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. TheRealRoland

Re: 25 years too late

It's pronounced 'Fronkensteen'!

2. 4d3fect

...."That's Headley."

1. JDX Gold badge

How do you know he hasn't spent 25 years saying this?

3. Pirate Dave Silver badge
      Pirate

I've been using a soft "g" for it since the early 90's. I remember reading somewhere in the docs for CompuShow (a popular DOS image viewer back in the day...) that it was pronounced with a soft "g", so that's what I've stuck to. I always assumed those using a hard "g" were newbies.

1. Nate Amsden

me too, I don't remember where I heard it first pronounced, but I have always been soft g, since early 90s too.

1. Not That Andrew

And I've assumed the pronunciation is hard G since the early 90's since my daily routine has never included talking about file formats.

1. Pirate Dave Silver badge
            Pirate

"my daily routine has never included talking about file formats."

Then why are you on a computer-nerd site talking about file formats? ;)

1. Alan Bourke

Yeah just like REM

didn't stand for Rapid Eye Movement. It's GIF with a hard G, Marathon bars, Opal Fruits, world without end, amen.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are we supposed to call JPEGs Gay-Pejs now as well?

1. DavCrav

Since it stands for Joint Photographic Experts Group, I think Jay-Pheg is more correct, for some suitable definition of 'correct'...

Oh, and CMOS should be pronounced commoss, according to this. Personally I call it cee-moss. Anybody?

1. hplasm
        Happy

Surely...

Yoint Fotojrafix Eexperts Jroup, noe?

1. VinceH

Re: Surely...

"Yoint Fotojrafix Eexperts Jroup, noe?"

You are the Swedish Chef, and I claim my five pounds.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No. It's cee-mose.

3. Intractable Potsherd

Why would it be "com-mos"? You only speak what is there - it is a letter "C" ("see") followed by letters that form a a sort of word: "MOS". Therefore, "see-moss" or, at a push, "see-mose" or "see-moz".

2. Stevie

Are we supposed to call JPEGs Gay-Pejs now as well?

It is my understanding that you can't ask and they aren't obliged to answer if you do.

3. pctechxp
    Coat

I hear

they are planning to change it to cif

I'll get my coat

4. LesB
    Facepalm

Giraffics?

Maybe that's what he thought he was playing with?

5. Tom 7

Thats a cleaning fluid

that's now been renamed after a venereal disease....

6. Bobthe2nd
    FAIL

nah mate

Jif is what you clear stuff with my gran still has some in the cupboard, gif is a picture format... end of

1. Duffy Moon
      Linux

Re: nah mate

I thought Jif was lemon juice packaged in a plastic lemon for people too lazy to squeeze lemons.

I also think it's odd that Linux is supposed to be pronounced "linnux" and not "lynux" since Linus is pronounced "lynus". Perhaps Linus Torvalds pronounces his name "linnus" - I have no idea.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
        Linux

Just call it Finux and then no-one needs to worry.

Although even there, to pronounce it like that, surely it needs a double 'n' in the middle?

PS - conjratulations to all the El Rej commentards for the quality of the gagsjajs in this thread.

I suppose at least El Reg don't have to care, as Register = Rejister anyway.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Perhaps Linus Torvalds pronounces his name "linnus" - I have no idea.

He does: http://www.paul.sladen.org/pronunciation/

I am pretty sure Red Hat used this as a sound card test file back in the day.

1. Steve the Cynic

"I am pretty sure Red Hat used this as a sound card test file back in the day."

It did. I remember playing it to, um, test the sound setup on my Red Hat boxes, a frighteningly long time ago.

3. peyton?

In America, Jif refers to peanut butter. End of story.

Linux is a combination of Linus and MINIX, so it depends on which "i" you want to pronounce ;)

1. Don Jefe
          Happy

Just asked our graphics guy and he's as 'American' as they come. He said jif... Only Europeans say gif according to him. He could have already read the story though. Hard to trust those graphics guys.

1. Code Monkey
            Joke

"Just asked our graphics guy and he's as 'American' as they come. He said jif... Only Europeans say gif according to him. He could have already read the story though. Hard to trust those graphics guys."

But Americans pronounce "autumn" as "fall".

2. Anonymous Coward
            Thumb Up

>Only Europeans say gif according to him.

In my experience, when Americans say "European", they usually mean those other people that aren't American.

So that would be the rest of the world then, AKA the vast majority of the population of the world.

1. Don Jefe

No. I assure you the 'American' lexicon is quite filled with distinctive names for the origins of most any people.

1. M Gale
                Coat

"No. I assure you the 'American' lexicon is quite filled with distinctive names for the origins of most any people."

Italian American, Spanish American, Latin American, Irish American, Native American...

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

Re: "most any"

The 'American' lexicon is also full of utter nonsense, mate.

2. SuperTim
          Headmaster

I pronounce it like in the word "while" as heard here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqnFnWSYzaQ

3. cheveron

> In America, Jif refers to peanut butter. End of story.

Not quite. GIF files are named after Jif. If you accept any pronunciation other than the one intended by the author that makes you a post-modernist. If you're ok with that, then that's ok.

4. Kubla Cant

In America, Jif refers to peanut butter. End of story.

You clean the kitchen with peanut butter? Must be messy.

4. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Well, if you wanted to pronounce it lynux, you should have spelt it lynux, or had a vowel-lengthening 'e' somewhere, linux is a short 'i'.

1. M Gale

I want to roll my own distro

Maybe an Ubuntu or a Mint with the backgrounds changed or something.

I'll call it "Linux Linux", just to play with people's heads.

2. stratofish
          Trollface

"Well, if you wanted to pronounce it lynux, you should have spelt it lynux, or had a vowel-lengthening 'e' somewhere, linux is a short 'i'."

Like 'pilot'?

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"too lazy to squeeze lemons"?

Jif ( "h-iff" for the Spanish? ) tends to last a little longer than having the real thing left about, not get used and start turning that nasty brown colour fruit loves to go when it's bored and feels unloved!

2. Justice
      Facepalm

Bizarrely, it's now called CIF not JIF.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cif

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And in Turkey CIF is pronounced JIF.

1. dajames
          Headmaster

And in Turkey CIF is pronounced JIF.

While in Italy CIF is pronounced CHIF.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Gif with a hard G it is then.

Now, how the shuddering hell is one supposed to pronounce 'Wilhite'? Will-height? Will-hitty? Whhil-hityay?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Gif with a hard G it is then.

Indeed. Why should we take any notice of someone who can't spell his name righit?

8. Richard 120

Not the first time

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/15/gif_is_pronounced_jif/

Popular opinion generally drives language though, it's hard to change the status quo once it's in general use.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think the Internet is unanimously in agreement that Steve Wilhite is a Jit.

1. DavCrav

That's a bit harsh. He's just wronj.

2. graeme leggett Silver badge

Wouldn't worry - it's not as if anyone's going to gaol over it....

1. Elmer Phud

re: Wouldn't worry - it's not as if anyone's going to gaol over it...

Bugger -- I just LOLed

1. Intractable Potsherd

Re: re: Wouldn't worry - it's not as if anyone's going to gaol over it...

That should be "Bujjer".

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> I think the Internet is unanimously in agreement that Steve Wilhite is a Jit.

I think you'll find that he's a gerk

10. Shrimpling

Does anybody use jif's any more?

I thought people used p'nungs instead these days because they can be higher resolutions than jifs and still have the transparent backgrounds?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.