Feeds

back to article Microsoft reveals Xbox One, the console that can read your heartbeat

Microsoft has shown off its next-generation gaming console, the Xbox One, with an upgraded Kinect and voice-recognition system, Skype integration, seamless switching between viewing modes, and a massive ramp-up in server support for the Live online community. Xbox One One console to rule them all "We've designed an all-in-one …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Headmaster

Re: It's £399

You're all screwed. I was contacted directly by the FBI to see if my account had been hijacked by these people promising people money turning out to be Nigerian scammers. They promised that if I donate $300 to the UN World Health Organisation's refugee orphans compensation scheme fund, they'll send Interpol out to recover the $6,500,000 money I lost. All I need to do is give them the account details - easy!

Brilliant thing is, that I never got scammed in the first place - they must have accidently thought I was one of you lot, so I donated the money this morning via Western Union and will be laughing all the way to the bank with your money when it comes through from the FBI Director General of MI5!

Thumb Down

No second-hand games

It's reported that the XBox One will associate each game purchase with one user, so no selling old games or even lending them. That might harm its market a bit

Silver badge

Re: No second-hand games

Details are still hazy on this. Microsoft say it doesn't need an always-on connection, but it does need a connection, which I presume is for activating products against your account. Also, all games apparently have to be installed when you buy them, which could really piss people off.

I prefer to install games on my old Xbox 360. Means the noisy DVD drive spins less and the games load faster. Don't see why installing games on the Xbox One would be any different.

Difficult to see that they could make each DVD/BluRay different, so there would have to be a unique code in each box to put in. If so, that's a PITA. Maybe they use the Kinect and put a QR code in?

In any event, the game companies trying to either ban or get a cut of the 2nd hand games market is going to happen somehow. It's surprised me it's taken this long to be honest.

Anonymous Coward

There are two problems with this. One is that the Xbox One is going to ship with an utterly inadequate 500GB HDD. Once you lose the chunks of that for system software, caching and other assorted bits and bobs we're more realistically down into the 400GB range. Xbox One games will be shipping on Blu-rays. A dual layer Blu-ray disk stores 50GB, and you can bet your life on developers using the whole lot of that. That means in the best case you are talking 10 games installed on your console at any one time. I don't know about you but I've got far, far more than that sat next to my consoles.

The other problem is everyone reporting seemed adamant that the games would be installed per-account (making each disk unique is a doddle, btw). This has implications ranging from the irritating (can't play it on friends' xboxes, can't play it on other accounts on your own xbox(?), can't resell etc.) to the outright illegal (in the EU, in particular, the first sale doctrine has been very strongly applied). MS do seem to be backtracking heavily on this however.

Anonymous Coward

AC from above here. It seems that MS have not just "backtracked hard" on the reports that a fee would be payable for 2nd use of games, they have outright denied it.

https://twitter.com/XboxSupport3/status/336924786410278912

Still, makes you wonder where the story came from. Wouldn't be the first time that MS have made a pseudo-announcement via a leak to test the response and then denied they ever dreamed of doing it.

Silver badge

" Also, all games apparently have to be installed when you buy them, which could really piss people off."

Why? Virtually every console game released now has a "this game requires 4 fuckloads of hard drive storage" message on the back or similiar, and then you get the inevitable stream of patches that take the beta-level shit you've bought and plug some showstopping bugs.

Not being able to sell the game on the other hand? Well eh, we've had a few years of Steam and other such bullshit getting people used to the idea of that. People in general will bend over, take it up the arse, and deride the people that refuse to as being freetards or luddites.

Welcome to the Computer Games industry.

Anonymous Coward

"That might harm its market a bit"

Ha ha ! Very funny! Sorry but there's enough suckers who have no problem with buying a game and being lumbered with it ( "Ooh look at the shiny HD graphics and the HD whoosh bangs!" ) , to keep MS afloat for years!

Silver badge

Erm I think I still have 45GB free on my five year old 60GB drive.

Why do I need much when I have a NAS for my media that I can stream to the Xbox?

I not usually in a hurry to play games so waiting a bit for them to load isn't an issue.

Silver badge

Since the XBox One will use BluRays, odds are the serialization will occur at the ROM Mark. This still allows for rapid pressing of the BD discs. You can't burn a ROM Mark (you can't be certified as a BD-R device unless you explicitly DON'T have the capability), and only the pressing plants have the ROM Mark machines (which are carefully monitored by the consortium). Quite simply, no piracy unless the console is hacked (and I would think Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo have been doing their homework regarding hardening against hacks).

Silver badge

"(and I would think Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo have been doing their homework regarding hardening against hacks)."

They've been doing so for decades. As you can see, they've completely eradicated unauthorised copying of software.

Anonymous Coward

Not sure anyone's mentioned this yet but I'd be surprised if MS could/would prevent a disc being used on different consoles. If they did, presumably they don't want me buying a console for home and one for the boat? Unless we assume that they'd try to claim that it would be reasonable to expect me to buy 2 copies for that purpose?

Also - given the -ahem- questionable reliability of the XBOX360 in the early days, are they going to effectively brick my games if my console fails?

Tying discs to an Xbox account is another matter but, as has been said, there are other laws that make that illegal in the EU.

The 14yo and tend to swap games backwards and forwards. If this works to block that then we'll be sharing a gamertag and only having one box instead of the five we currently have dotted around the house or moving to Sony. The decision willreally be driven by what consoles his mates have got but IF the worst case happens I'll be steering him away from XBox.

Well, it's down to Sony now. Decision time will come when both Sony and Microsotf clarify matters. I can't help feeling that this reveal has left more question unanswered than answered and, to be honest, something that looks like an Amstrad VCR from the early 90's doesn't float my boat.

Dissapointed.

Silver badge

"Tying discs to an Xbox account is another matter but, as has been said, there are other laws that make that illegal in the EU."

What if Microsoft classes all software transactions as LEASES instead, exempting them from exhaustion and making the EULAs binding lease agreements?

Silver badge

Actually, Microsoft and Sony seem to have put serious dents in piracy (at least where their chief markets are concerned). Tamper resistant packaging, constant updating, and so on have stymied all but the most determined efforts to pirate (compare the level of piracy on the 360 and PS3 to that of the original Wii). Put it this way; if you have to open the box to hack it, you've already accomplished a fair bit. Not much you can do about the determined hackers or the outer markets where there's little control, but if you can keep casual hacking to a minimum, that's progress.

I'm willing to bet both the XBox One and the PS4 will carry something similar to a Trusted Platform Module (available for x86 platforms), and the CPU will probably have a hardware encryption unit. That'll make things more difficult.

Anonymous Coward

"What if Microsoft classes all software transactions as LEASES..."

This was exactly what the EU ruling concerned. The defining characteristic of a lease is a continuing payment schedule and a reasonable pre-agreed contract guiding the terms of the lease.

When there's a one-off payment for perpetual effective ownership, as far as the EU is concerned that is an outright *purchase*, regardless of what the EULA says - the EULA's terms would at that point be deemed unreasonable at the least (or more likely outright illegal) and therefore unenforceable.

That's even assuming the EULA is enforceable in the first place. Consumer protection laws ensure that contracts are only enforceable if they're signed *prior* to you purchasing the product, giving you time to read, understand and consider (requirements for the contract to be valid in any case). You only see an EULA when you've bought the game and pop it in the disc tray, what is called a "shrink-wrap contract", and they're widely considered unenforceable in Europe.

Also, I'm not massively familiar with US law on the subject, but Vernor vs. Autodesk seems to indicate that the US courts take a very similar stance, so I'm fairly confident that the idea that US companies can shovel any old shit onto their consumers in their EULAs is a misconception too.

Silver badge

Why? Virtually every console game released now has a "this game requires 4 fuckloads of hard drive storage" message on the back or similiar, and then you get the inevitable stream of patches that take the beta-level shit you've bought and plug some showstopping bugs.

Errr, which console are you playing on? In my entire time with a PS3 I think I've installed what, 2 games?

Silver badge

You must have only played about two games as well. Seriously, go look at the game requirements on the boxes.

Vast majority of console games out now use that hard drive, and for more than just saving your progress.

Trying to remember what game it is that wants you to download the entire set of textures all over again as a patch when you shove it in the drive.

Silver badge

"Also, I'm not massively familiar with US law on the subject, but Vernor vs. Autodesk seems to indicate that the US courts take a very similar stance, so I'm fairly confident that the idea that US companies can shovel any old shit onto their consumers in their EULAs is a misconception too."

Vervor v. Autodesk was thrown out on a technicality. Turns out Vernor never properly got the copies from their original location. Autodesk proved (with a LEASE contract, no less) that the copies were part of a service agreement—they were meant to be destroyed or returned to Autodesk as they were sending the original company the next version of the software.

As for the EULA, it wouldn't be shrink-wrapped because it would occur the moment you turn the console on, meaning it's prior to activating your Live account and starting your first game. Maybe not a lease but a SUBSCRIPTION or a SERVICE AGREEMENT (which IS enforceable--that's what threw out Vernor v. Autodesk) Something or other that requires a continual good faith and terms and conditions to remain in the service. IOW, the disc is no longer the product itself: just a one-time-use key (and Sony is working on a similar idea only without the online requirement—using RFID tags instead). And like I said before, no one's managed to force Valve to make their games resellable, so there must be some kind of legal standing that keeps Steam running in Europe, and Microsoft's new model is much like Valve's.

Anonymous Coward

"And like I said before, no one's managed to force Valve to make their games resellable..."

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/02/01/valve-sued-by-german-consumer-group-because-steam-users-cant-resell-games/

Not yet, anyway.

Silver badge

""Tying discs to an Xbox account is another matter but, as has been said, there are other laws that make that illegal in the EU."

What if Microsoft classes all software transactions as LEASES instead, exempting them from exhaustion and making the EULAs binding lease agreements?"

Simple. Laws have priority over EULAs. It's still illegal to shoot your neighbour, even if a EULA specifies it

Silver badge

"Simple. Laws have priority over EULAs. It's still illegal to shoot your neighbour, even if a EULA specifies it"

Is it STILL illegal if you shoot your neighbor with a water pistol? Or a confetti shooter? Or a blank round? This is the kind of grey area we're walking into. Can Valve and Microsoft say their software is a service and the game discs merely keys (since the games are also downloadable and subscription-based a-la OnLive)? IOW, is it a sale or it is a service?

Silver badge
Happy

Ahhh, if a EULA specified shooting the neighbour with a water-pistol, that should be allowed. Life would be more fun then!

As for your other point, here was a case in the EU that established that Basically it doesn't matter whether the company calls it a license/service or whatever:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57465746-92/eu-court-sale-of-used-software-licenses-is-just-fine/

I'd expect/hope that your 'first sale doctrine' laws would be treated the same way.. The EU case does certainly help your cause, but those damn media companies have powerful lobbyists...

It's not much of a surprise to me but this could be a fairly important moment in gaming, for it means all the heavyweight consoles now have something in common - x86 CPUs. The new Xbox also runs DirectX, which should make it technically trivial to have dual releases on the Xbox and Windows PCs. The PS4 will also handle x86 code, although it'll no doubt have lots of proprietary APIs and GPU intricacies to handle, but they'll probably be much less of a complexity gap for doing multi-platform ports.

Silver badge

Proprietary APIs and GPU intricacies to handle,

PS3 uses MS Visual Studio as its IDE, and OpenGL ES and CG for talking to the GPU. Not sure about much else since I didn't sign the NDAs for that.

I would guess that the forthcoming Xbox will also be similarly stuffed full of interesting stuff that you'll only get to know about if you jump through the right hoops and promise not to tell anybody.

JDX
Gold badge

XBox has used DirectX since the original XBox...

What ahppens is every game dev company writes their own abstraction libraries (game engine) around the underlying APIs so they don't have to write separate code for each platform for each game.

MJI
Silver badge

Re: XBox has used DirectX since the original XBox..

Hence the name

Direct X Box

Anonymous Coward

There's a lot more detail in the BBC article than here at the Reg which is surprising...

The BBC included details about changes to the hardware which is important to know because :-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22613948

"...the move means neither machine will be backwards compatible with the former generation's catalogue of games."... "...studios have said it will be easier to make games on next-gen platforms because they're going to be closer to the development environments that are common on the PC side."

I wonder how "Watch Dogs" and the new GTA will look....? I hope MS allows for simpler copying of profiles and saved games between profiles. Its a pain at the moment and you have to use third party tools to fix it.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Silver badge

Re: There's a lot more detail in the BBC article than here at the Reg which is surprising...

Eadon you cretin- the OP AC was expressing surprise that the BBC coverage had highlighted a (possibly significant) point when the Register had missed it. This point was not made on priviledged information as you suggest, but on already common knowledge.

Try putting your energy into different avenues for a month... if you see no improvement after that time, you should seek help.

Bronze badge
Happy

Re: There's a lot more detail in the BBC article than here at the Reg which is surprising...

Love Fallout and Skyrim too much to part with my 360. Still at least getting spares or replacement 360's should be a darn sight easier, I bet the prices have dropped through the floor on Fleabay already!

Anonymous Coward

See Anandtech http://anandtech.com/show/6972/xbox-one-hardware-compared-to-playstation-4/5 for info on XBO and PS4 that doesn't sound like its written by a tabloid/bbc journalist.

Silver badge

I watched the livestream, and the presentation was awful. A bunch of suits spouting corporate bullshit and desperately trying to engage with "da yoof" by constantly name-dropping things they'd heard of.

"You can see here I've been listening to some Deadmau5."

"I like Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones."

Etc, etc. Patronising arses.

First they talked about TV, and all the ways to watch TV, etc, etc. They seemed to have some kind of obsession with sports and Then they rabbited on about the hardware. Finally, after half an hour they decided to talk games, and what was the first thing they did? They announced a partnership with EA! Of all the people you bring to a product launch, you bring the most hated company in America??

EA announced more EA sports titles, and we were all supposed to care. Microsoft talked Forza, Halo, Call of Duty, and I nearly fell asleep. CoD looked excellent on a technical level, but then CoD is always excellent in some respect. The storyline looked like bollocks though.

Here's a thing to ask yourself: Was there a single second of actual gameplay footage anywhere in that 90 minute presentation? Anywhere? Call of Duty came bloody close, and I thought for a second I actually saw some, then I realised there was no HUD. Every single thing relating to games was pre-rendered, and I'm certain that the stuff on the big screen was simulated, even the Skype call (seriously, you didn't notice the perfect timing and scripted lines?). We haven't seen this thing in action, at all.

It was a bloody disgrace. The machine looks OK as a set top box, but as a console I saw no reason to buy it when the PS4 presentation did a far better job of positioning the machine as a games machine, which it is. The PS4 presentation basically went through a list of every single one of the PS3's flaws and said how they would be fixed, which is how you bloody do it! The Microsoft guys were almost embarrassed to admit it was a games machine.

Oh don't be hard on them

God knows I work for a company positively saturated with retarded-suits forever scrambling over the exhausted corpses of the able, to claim the glory.

Doesn't mean there isn't some lovely stuff - hate the suit, love the tech.

Silver badge
Happy

Re: Oh don't be hard on them

Hate the person in the suit, not the suit. A suit is just an inanimate uniform for work. The person in the suit is a thinking, calculating, sentient being who has determined his asinine actions constitute a positive value proposition. Alternatively he could be a really nice guy with who works very hard and has respect for his fellow man. Hard to tell by appearance alone.

Silver badge

Re: Oh don't be hard on them

>A suit is just an inanimate uniform for work

Unless you've read too much Iain M Banks...

A quick run-down

Top 2-minute summary of the launch event I've seen so far: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw

I suppose in the quest to be the one must-have device sitting under the telly, no games machine is going to market itself as 'just' a games machine. But for an increasing demographic with with 40-inch-plus TVs (which you can pick up at the supermarket for pennies these days), there's actually rather a lot of space under the telly.

The "me too!" drive to make sure any device *could* be used as the primary device in a living room simply means unnecessary duplication. So you get a BBC iPlayer app on the TV itself (or the digibox if you have an ageing telly) and the blu-ray player and the Sky box and xbox and wii and PS. You get a Facebox widget on most of them too, and they all want an internet connection so you can get network radio and video-on-demand and skype. Your xbox now has an hdmi input so you can mash the source together with overlays or watch a footy match while gaming in half the screen (although many TVs support picture-in-picture anyway). You can use DLNA to stream music from somewhere else in your house to one of your consoles, or the bluray player, or the TV itself...

Having an AV receiver for my surround sound with 5+ HDMI inputs makes it really easy to switch sources for the TV - I'd not be averse to having dedicated devices that were really good at doing just one thing exceptionally well. But I suppose we all got used to having our phones do a billion things, and managing 6 different remotes (or teaching the Significant Other to use a multi-function remote) is more trouble than it's worth...

Silver badge
Meh

The day of the Games console is over.

Basically what the 'suits' were getting at is that we are now in the age of the 'Entertainment Console'.

I kinda disagree on the playstation presentation. They did not show the hardware except the controller, they talked about what it would have but somewhat hazy on the details still.

Feels like MSFT had a few more innovative ideas (how well they execute them remains to be seen) but having used ps3 from the start and having tried the 360 at friends houses many times I have always preferred game play on ps3.

I guess in reality we need to wait a few more months for full specs and capabilities to be divulged.

Silver badge

Re: BBC article revelations... XBox is not about games!

>MS abandons backwards compatibility once again. Must feel great to be an MS dev / partner / customer!

You really have gone full retard today...

Why would a dev care if people didn't keep playing DeathKill IV on their old machine and bought DeathKill V for their new console instead? They wouldn't care - they would welcome it.

The PS3 caught up XBOX 360's sales, despite most PS3 units not playing PS2 games... Guess what? Those people with PS2 games tended to own a PS2 console. Shocking, I know, but that's just that way it is.

Facepalm

Try stepping back from the mic, it's probably feedback.

Anonymous Coward

As OP I'd like to know... Why does Eadon keep picking fights?

If he gets a record amount of down-votes is he hoping the number will reset back through zero?

Or is there a competition for down-votes, a wooden-spoon trophy, that awards you a free gift at the end of the year. If so I recommend the Reg give him Microsoft Office or something like that!

Anonymous Coward

Re: As OP I'd like to know... Why does Eadon keep picking fights?

"is there a competition for down-votes, a wooden-spoon trophy"

Why would it be a wooden spoon trophy? Are you suggesting that a large number of down votes is bad? So every one in history who would be "downvoted" by our "nonced youth", is bad?

W O W Stupidity lives!

Anonymous Coward

I'm hoping The Register will implement an Eadon filter. That way when venturing down to the forums you'll have the option to read some intelligent discourse on the content of the article, not have to scroll through pages of self indulgent Microsoft bashing that have nothing to do with what was written, or anything to do with rational thought at all.

Silver badge
Facepalm

Why do I need backwards compatibility when I already have a 360 or a PS3 which gives 100% performance on those titles?

Is it too much hardship to run two boxes for a while or relegate one to the spare room?

I mean if its that important you find a way surely? Maybe take the VCR to the Heart Foundation instead?

Black Helicopters

The more I read from Eadon the more I've become convinced his posts are just one of the Reg hacks winding us up.

Despite becoming more cynical as I get older, I find it hard to believe that a real person would openly post the blatant drivel we get from Eadon.

So, Reg hacks own up and, to paraphrase a line from Brighton Rock, "You are Eadon and I claim my Register prize."

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: As OP I'd like to know... Why does Eadon keep picking fights?

Nope, Eadon's not one of us, he's just another commentard. Albeit a Marmite character.

Rob
Bronze badge
Go

"Hmmmm there seems to be a high pitched whining sound on the forum. I can't quite put my finger on where it is coming from."

That would be the noise coming from your arse as you seem to be on fire today for talking so much shit. (Sorry for the feeding but I couldn't resist).

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.