back to article Fried-egg sarnies kick off Reg man's quid-a-day nosh challenge

Coffee, bacon and black pudding were strictly off the menu this morning as this hack kicked off his "Live Below the Line" challenge with a couple of fried-egg sarnies and a mug of builders' tea. Until Friday, I have to subsist on just £1 a day for food as I participate in "an innovative awareness and fundraising campaign that' …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

as i remember...

You and yours have a couple of animals, right?. I hear that most farm-type animals cook up rather well. And if you can't convince your children that they'd make a wonderful meal, you should still be able to, if they're female, milk them (I don't envy you this because I have been subjected to non-cow milk before).

I found that by not eating out 4 times per day, and actually going to the grocery store, I could cut my food budget from $1300/month to around $225. Of course (as you commented) the bars and restaurants began to panic, and some of them actually closed.

1. Red Bren
      Joke

Re: as i remember...

If you can convince your children that they'd make a wonderful meal, you need to be stopped. As for milking them...

2. Triggerfish

Nice shopping

You did better than the beeb, who had a load of people who said look recipes are easy, then mentioned you just add 30p of this, 5p of that.

I think the weekly shop for all the goods (since buying 1p of pepper is not possible) they mentioned came to about 30-40.

1. Professor Clifton Shallot

Re: Nice shopping

I think the game as it is played allows you to use something like pepper on a pro-rata cost basis so you can have a penny's worth.

2. Corinne

Ah yes my pet peeve about cooking programs is the "store" ingredients they assume everyone has at all times and are rarely costed in e.g. 15 different fresh herbs & spices, an unlimited supply of citrus fruits to get juice & zest from, 8 different types of sugar etc etc.

I finally needed to replace a couple of "store" items recently like mustard powder (for cheese scones), vanilla extract & ground nutmeg, & just those 3 cost over a tenner. OK the mustard powder & the nutmeg will last me literally for years, but they do have to be bought in the first place (and stored).

1. Triggerfish

Uuurgh BBC search is awful. Cant find the articles from a couple of days ago.

I wouldn't begrudge the pepper bit. But they worked out the whole value of the recipe like that the same way you would do for a resteraunt dish.

So it meant they were saying things like add 5p baked beans, 10p bacon, 7p of wine etc.

In other words can you feed yourself for a pound a day from a fully stocked food cupboard, not just condiments or herbs and spice.

Turns out yes you can, who'd have thought.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

" needed to replace a couple of "store" items recently like mustard powder (for cheese scones), vanilla extract & ground nutmeg, & just those 3 cost over a tenner."

I think you're shopping in the wrong place. Even from Tesco this lot shouldn't be more than a fiver.

1. Corinne

My bad, £1.35 for the mustard powder, £1.40 for the Nutmeg, shade under £6 for the vanilla, so a bit under £9 not over £10. But still painful on my current budget.

It was the decent quality vanilla extract that did it, most things I'll go for a cheaper option, but when it comes to my vanilla it needs to be the real stuff rather than the 80p little bottles of watery "flavouring" (except in meringues, then the cheap crap does OK).

1. JDX Gold badge

This is like Terry Pratchett's assertion that the rich can live for less than the poor because they can buy boots which cost 10X as much but last forever while the poor have to buy cheap ones that only last a year or two?

3. Crash!

Got a bicycle for transport and an internet for identification?

You might find some asparagus acutifolius or some cynara scolymus at this time of year along the roadside - dependant on where you are in Spain.

Obviously catfish is tasty (if there's a river nearby) - you just need a big hook, some line or cordage as well as something stinking and stolen from a bin to catch them with. That said, going from franchising out your killing to knocking a 15lb catfish on the head and then gutting it may be quite a jump.

I hear songbirds are also delicious.

Paris, because, well, I couldn't possibly say.

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

This is what I need: http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montia_fontana

Plenty of that around here.

2. Rukario
      Joke

> I hear songbirds are also delicious.

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/1995-08-24/

4. Ed 13
    Go

Good luck

I commend your resolve, but pity your family after you've been on a diet of chickpeas and rice for a week!

Re: Good luck

I may have to be quarantined after the event, pending a full system purge.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What does £1 a day include?

Does energy spent cooking food have to count as well?

Re: What does £1 a day include?

No, not for this challenge.

6. Retron

I've (inadvertantly) followed this plan for two days of my American holiday. Day one saw no breakfast, a banana for lunch and nothing in the evening, whereas the other day had nothing for breakfast, another banana for lunch and a pack of Cheetos in the evening. Drinks are just tap water (bought a bottle of Diet Coke at the beginning of the holiday and then just refill it thereafter - the tap water seems to be safe to drink here).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

UNAMERICAN!!!

How can you be in the land of the supersized free refills all you can eat and NOT be eating? Holy moley get thee to a Wafflehouse STAT!

7. MegC

People need to take a leaf out the ye olde student handbook.

Tesco light choices baked beans, 1 can is 27p

http://www.supermarketownbrandguide.co.uk/viewitem.php?tablename=tinned&id=410

Tesco value bread: 80p

http://www.supermarketownbrandguide.co.uk/viewitem.php?tablename=bread&id=150

Use the bread again for a sandwich etc every day and thats a good way to start off your cheap spending (not saying it'll be nice like...)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'So, I'm in business, but one question remains: will the challenge prove harder on me or on my local bar owners, who greeted the news I'd be off the booze for a week with a mixture of disbelief and dismay.'

Well that's killed off the last part of the Spanish economy.

This isn't an elaborate scheme to have soft-hearted Reg readers bombard you with food parcels is it?

"Well that's killed off the last part of the Spanish economy."

It's true. I think about 50 per cent of bar staff jobs hereabouts depend on the expat euro.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

>but things don't work quite like that in sunny Spain, or at least not round here

Al Campo seem to be everywhere and have a section with barrels of stuff like rice and chick peas so you can fill up with whatever you want and don't pay for the brand and packaging. I'd be suprised if the shops round your way don't sell out of sacks although sometimes that is more expensive than supermarket brands, especially if they stick artesana on the shop somwhere.

Sunny??? I've just been out for a walk at lunchtime and got drenched. In this corner of Spain, which is as far away from a corner as you can get, sunny it definitely isn't.

Doing this I'd have gone to a street market and stocked up on carrots, lentils and onions.with enough left over for a celebratory drink at the end of it.

Eggs seem to be a bit of an eggs-travagance. - Had to be said

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Flame

Re: Quote

Dia for much cheapness.

Best to eat the meat on the day though, but inspect it carefully before buying nonetheless.

Icon shows how you have to cook the food just to be on the safe side.

10. Jon Green
    Coat

Foraging!

This time of year, there's plenty of spring growth going on, probably some early mushrooms (if you don't know your mushies, do NOT try this at home!), fresh roadkill's usable, and you might just be able to rustle up some rabbit or similar. Wild herbs transform a meal, and they'll certainly boost your bone stew. (Possibly "bone" in the military sense...) For a free, fragrant tea, steep elderflowers - there's a chance they'll be out by now, where you are. And it's all free!

Good luck!

(Icon: forgaging for forgotten sugar/ketchup/... sachets in jacket pockets...never find one when I need it...)

11. Robert E A Harvey

Good man

I fasted for a week for Christian Aid in 1974. Drunk water & black tea. It can be done. Kept working too, though I stopped driving after 3 days.

I might do it again some time.

12. Richard Mason
    Flame

Soya & beans

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned using soya mince. Holland & Barrett (and Tesco) do a 375g pack for £1.89 which when reconstituted becomes the equivalent of 1.5kg of mince. I use it all the time to make chilli, bolognese sauce, cottage pie, anything that has liquid and flavour and normally uses mince. The secret with soya mince is to add a little Marmite and a few drops of olive oil to the boiling water used to reconstitute it.

Dried beans are also a good buy, once they have been boiled and simmered, they double in weight. I buy the 500g packs from Tesco of red kidney beans, cannelli beans, pinto beans and black eyed beans, mix them together and store them in an airtight plastic tub. 2kg of mixed beans (1 pack of each) comes to £4.27.

375g of soya mince, 2kg mixed beans, 4 tins chopped tomatoes (Tesco Value, £0.31 each), 1 tube tomato puree (£0.35), 1kg onions (£0.90), 1/2 jar crushed chillis (£0.95/jar), 1/2 jar hot chilli powder (£0.95/jar), 1/2 bottle hot pepper sauce (£1.00/bottle), a couple of oxo cubes, 2 teaspoons Marmite, a little olive oil and some water gives me about 10kg of chilli for about £11.00. That's enough for about 30-40 people at a party or 20 large portions of chilli for my freezer, giving me 20 meals (rice or baked potato with the chilli would of course be extra).

Flame sign because my chilli should normally carry a chemical warning, I like it hot.

1. Richard Mason

Re: Soya & beans

Forgot one ingredient, 4 teaspoons of sugar.

13. C. P. Cosgrove

Scurvy anyone ?

First, I wish you well with this challenge.

Second, I would not want to be on a diet like this for very long - it seems to be awfully short on vitamins. There are some very nasty vitamin deficiency diseases out there which are largely a memory in Western Europe - scurvy, ricketts, pellagra to name but three.

As one or two commentards above have suggested, get out there and start foraging !

Chris Cosgrove

14. Andrew Halliwell

Foraging

Something you could consider is the art of foraging for food.

Seek out websites such as eatweeds. (I imagine there are spanish specific sites with similar ideas)

Wild herbs. the leaves, flowers. roots and/or seeds of certain plants (and with some care, the odd mushroom) could supplement your diet.

15. Zot

Egg Butty! Is the preferred name around here.

Yes.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.