back to article CURSE you, EINSTEIN! Humanity still chained in relativistic PRISON

Disappointing news on the science wires today, as new research indicates that a possible means of subverting the laws of physics to allow interstellar travel apparently doesn't work. Curses! Can nothing pierce this damned rubber sheet? As we are told in a new paper just published in hefty boffinry mag Science: Neutron …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. dlc.usa
    Boffin

Gravity Propagation Question

The force you impart to the rod propagates through the entire rod much faster than light speed, but all the molecules only increase velocity per the force imparted. This does bring up the question of gravity propagation, however. If a mass pops into space-time, is its gravity manifested everywhere in the Universe instantaneously or does it propagate out from the mass, and, if the latter, at what velocity does it propagate? Inquiring minds want to know.

1. Fred 4

Re: Gravity Propagation Question

c

if our Sun exploded the moment you read this. It will take ~8 minutes for the gravitational change to reach us.

2. Ru

The speed of gravity is apparently finite... I believe that's been known for some time. Newton thought it was infinite, but apparently observations of Mercury's orbit in the mid-1800s showed that the planet's behaviour could not be explained by purely Newtonian physics.

Modern work on the actual speed of gravity is pretty arcane. Current theories suggest that it isn't any faster than the speed of light, but the related papers are well beyond my ability to understand. Good luck ;-)

(also, "The force you impart to the rod propagates through the entire rod much faster than light speed"... really? if that were true, we wouldn't be arguing about the existence of superluminal physics still!)

3. dlc.usa

[blush] Kindly substitute "force" for "light" in the foregoing post.

2. steve13565
    Happy

Special Theory of Relativity

I thought that it was the special theory of relativity that posed the restriction on traveling faster than light. Maybe the general theory also sets the speed of light as a restriction.

Sitting here in the U.S., I find the use of the term "boffin" to be hilarious.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. OrsonX
      Happy

@Boffin Steve

Sitting here in the UK I find the (not mentioned in article) USS Ponce to be a funny name, especially far a warship!

What does Boffin mean in the US?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Us2them

Why should we ever contact or do something more insane give a insane killer a gun and a car to roam the neighborhood. Man is a dangerous violent animal. So violent that we will never give him the knowable or tools to get him off his planet Earth. He will for all eternity be lockup on planet Earth

1. Fred 4

Re: Us2them

probably for the best.....

2. fung0

Re: Us2them

First, while Man is obviously dangerous to Man, it is the height of hubris to think the Universe is losing sleep over our popguns and petty bickering. Second, Man is no more violent than, say, bacteria. Or my cats, which fight constantly, for no apparent reason. Third, eternity is a very long time, and there is a great deal we still do not know.

4. Irongut

The Forever War

Great book. All fans of SciFi or war fiction should read it.

5. sageev

Quantum, eh?

Oh well, collapsars are out. Infinite Improbability Drive is it, then. Tea any one?

1. fung0

Re: Quantum, eh?

As far as I can see, the findings presented in the article simply show an unrelated confirmation of Relativity, rather than a specific refutation of the possibility of Collapsar travel. Moreover, there remains a great deal we do not understand - such as why 95% of the Universe remains unaccounted-for, or why Relativity and Quantum Mechanics can't be reconciled. For starters. Milk and sugar in mine, thanks.

6. The last doughnut
    Thumb Up

Since this is ask-a-stoopid-question-Friday

The gravitational force generated by a spherical (or any shaped) body is maximum at its surface, right? So when we have a neutron-star accreting material from a companion, as the mass builds to that necessary to form a black hole. The black hole will actually form at some point on the _surface_ of the neutron-star, right?

And I also liked The Forever War.

1. Midnight

Re: Since this is ask-a-stoopid-question-Friday

The pressure is still greatest at the core. That 's why the middle part of the sun is where all the burning happens.

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: Since this is ask-a-stoopid-question-Friday

"The black hole will actually form at some point on the _surface_ of the neutron-star, right?"

I would imagine that's right, as long as you substitute "event horizon" for "black hole".

7. Bill Gould

Scientists respond with "I dunno"

Give it a few years and they'll change their mind and start using new theories.

8. Stevie

Um...

When Haldeman wrote The Forever War the term "collapsar" was what they were using for what we now routinely call a Black Hole. I remember Patrick Moore giving a presentation on this then-new postulated phenomenon on The Sky at Night.

Now if you want a good story about neutron stars, Larry Niven is your man, though his classic "Neutron Star" cannot work as written for reasons Niven goes into in Known Space (I think) and which I won't spoil because it is still a rip-roaring adventure that takes classic hard SF into the world of 70s cutting edge astrophysics. Niven's star drive in that universe is more entertaining too.

I recommend Forever War to everyone as a classic of rational hard SF and also as an answer to the then not-so distant Starship Troopers. If you want to know why, read Troopers first, then TFW.

9. Schultz
    Thumb Up

Collapsar travel...

is more of a metaphysical thing, you enter in bodily form and you separate into a beautiful smear of photons --liberated from the blob of matter below.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"which means that journeys between the stars must take years or centuries at minimum"

As measured by whom?

1. Thecowking

Nearest star is 4 Ly away, travelling at accelerations humans can stand, years is definitely the minimum. Leaving aside the energy costs, it'd take nearly a year to hit C, so you'd have travelled about .5 LY in the first year.

Lorentz dilation doesn't take it down much in the velocity changing phase given that for a long chunk of speeding up and slowing down you'd be experiencing only minor dilation.

Of course at lightspeed (if such a thing were possible) you wouldn't experience time, but the two subjective years of speeding up and slowing down would be longer than a year my back of the envelope maths tells me.

Of course the bonus about accelerating to lightspeed and then travelling at it is that all journeys would,subjectively, take exactly the same time.

In reality of course the energy requirements get sufficiently onerous as you get faster that constant acceleration is a non-starter.

1. Thecowking

I did of course mean the closest star that wasn't the sun.

Reaching the Sun in less than a year is definitely possible.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Any explanation of WHY we thought this might work?

Was it reasonable to expect that relativity might have been circumvented by such a large mass?

Seems a bit like thinking I might get to my destinations infinitely fast if I was driving the biggest possible SUV.

12. AmericanGuy
    Pint

Anything is still possible

The last sentence of the article was a classic "out" that seemed to invalidate the article content, or at least say "take this with a grain of salt." Einstein knew in physics that all bets are off. The universe is supposed to behave like this or that, at least in our region or "plane" (for lack of a better word) of space. Leave that region or "plane" and the rules of the party change.

Cheerio!

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Anything is still possible

Feel free to adopt that motto if it makes you happy, but it's no consequentially different from simple subjective solipsism - believing that nothing outside the conscious self can be known. Of course in that case anything is always possible; all of your perceptions could be hallucinations.

But there's little point in taking solipsism as a substantive foundation - of trying to act based on it. And there's equally little point in trying to act on the belief that physics is different in parts of the universe we can perceive. Maybe so, but so what?

Formal and empirical results that challenge our models are interesting, because they suggest there's something new to know, and perhaps to do. Theories that challenge our models are sometimes interesting, because investigating them might lead to new formal or empirical results. Saying "maybe our models don't hold under some conditions that we have no empirical access to, and no formal mechanisms to describe" is chit-chat.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

So much for my hopes of making the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs!

What am I going to have to do to defeat Captain Solo? Encase him in carbonite or something??!!

14. sisk

Meh

It's not as though the idea of a collapsar jump would be particularly useful even if it did work. Our distant descendants on a generational ship might be able to use one, but by the time they got there, assuming they were to leave right now, we'd have already colonized a couple of nearby solar systems.

Personally I'm still hoping for some brilliant physicist to come up with a practical way to make an Alcubierre drive. Of course they have to wait for some other physicist co come up with a way to harness exotic matter....and that physicist will have to wait till someone figures out how to produce exotic matter in significant quantities....which of course will have to wait till someone actually proves that the stuff exists....I'll stop now. My hopes of visiting Polaris in my lifetime are getting further away.

15. jmmwill
    Thumb Up

Einstein's Limit and Time Travel

There never has been any evidence of violation of Einstein's limit.

One reason is that it would imply violation of conservation laws. A nontechnical discussion related to this may be found at http://www.scribd.com/doc/35613144/Time-Travel

A slightly technical discussion is at http://www.scribd.com/doc/38202981/A-Simple-Proof-that-the-Speed-of-Light-is-the-Greatest-Possible

1. Tom 7

Re: Einstein's Limit and Time Travel

You cant measure anything faster than your measuring stick.

1. Muscleguy
        Boffin

Re: Einstein's Limit and Time Travel

"You cant measure anything faster than your measuring stick."

So I can't measure any distance longer than my longest measuring stick? Except with Pythagoras's theorem I can measure any distance I like starting from wherever I like.

Seeing something move across the horizon is a matter of the number of degrees or arc seconds it transects per unit time. So, if you have a measuring stick of the size of a say a galaxy you have got to with triangulation you can sit and watch for things crossing that horizon at any given speed. Even light takes long enough to cross at galaxy scales that anything travelling that fast would be easily viewable and measurable, if of course it were reflecting or generating light. There are some stars orbiting the monster black hole at the centre of the galaxy and also on strange trajectories out of and around the galaxy that have been measured travelling at appreciable fractions of the speed of light.

At the other scale if you magnify your view slugs and snails become speedy as they transect the horizon quickly. Things moving under Brownian motion are quite speedy looking once you magnify them enough but their absolute speed is very slow. It's all relative you see. To observe fast moving things move back a long way, to observe slow moving things move much closer.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Please continue.

Your posts are among the most informative and interesting of this site. If you stop, it will be much harder to actually learn something here.

16. DF118
    Alien

Forever War

So... Ridley Scott apparently won the film rights a few years ago, after decades of trying. Anyone care to hazard a guess as to whether he'll get to make it in his lifetime?

17. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    WTF?

Jesus F. Christ EL REG FAIL

A "collapsar" is not a neutron star. Indeed it is a historical name for a black hole. It's one of those historically old-fashioned words. Collapsar because "it collapses in....forever"

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Flame

Re: Jesus F. Christ EL REG FAIL

Yeah, I fart in your general direction, downvoter! Are you some kind of liberal? A kumbaya-singing peter puffer? Do you not only believe that man's mind and the laws of nature can be bent to your irrelevant puny laws, regulations, Glass-Steagal acts and other retarded mental contortions, but will you not even stop at science and scientific definitions until the only legally allowed thesaurus conforms to your own personal idea of Goodthink and Correctspeak? I'm sure your postmodernism makes you hope that all which you consider ungood can be banned and be disappeared with just a bit of rewriting. HAH!

18. FuzzyTheBear
    Pint

The brighter side of life ..

That also keeps the aliens from coming to earth groceries shopping for tasty humans ..

When i think about the relativistic prison under that angle .. i kind of thank Albert :)

Cheers Albert

1. Muscleguy
      Thumb Up

Re: The brighter side of life ..

Don't worry, we have The Boys to protect us from human eating aliens.

19. rictay

re- Stupid question

No it's not a stupid question, but a perfectly valid thought experiment. So don't be Anonymous, stand up proud and thoughtful!

Even if the rod was perfectly rigid, you would need a device at the far end of the rod to tell you that the rod had moved. That information coming back to you could only propagate at the speed of light. I'm guessing that your initial push would propagate at the speed of light because you are passing information to the sensing device at the far end.

20. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge
    Unhappy

No interstellar travel?

[Sigh] I guess I'll have to change my holiday plans and book a hotel room in Maui again.

21. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

Excessive churning tests the boundary between El Reg and Science! Film at 11.

It's rather perplexing how quantum mechanics would come into this.

On whould think this were a test of GR vs other theories of gravity, like MOND or TeVeS, as described in

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternatives_to_general_relativity

One would not expect QM to come into this, like, at all. So, one starts off with space.com:

http://www.space.com/20826-einstein-gravity-theory-toughest-test.html

which gets it right. Then one passes over to livescience, which refers to the above:

http://www.livescience.com/29062-einstein-relativity-tested-again.html

... but the churner adds in QM for no good reason, probably because he doesn't quite grasp what's up.

El Reg doesn't link to livescience but I guess just saw the above, then threw in the wrongly used "collapsar" and from there wanders off to Haldeman and manfrommars territory.

So what's important about this? This is:

"Our results indicate that the filtering techniques planned for these advanced instruments (of gravitational wave detection) remain valid," said Ryan Lynch, a physicist at McGill University in Montreal.

Everything else is manure. Are YOU running einstein@home on your Tesla card?

22. solaries
    Alien

Curse You Einstein

I wouldn't be so sure try Thomas Townsend Brown and John Serle. And there are articles on the io9 website dated Nov.26,2012 titled How NASA Might Build it's very first Warpdrive and one dated Jan.04,2013 titled The Woodward Effect allows for endless supplies of Starship Fuel.

23. Steve Martins
    Joke

The point is...

I had a point to make, but as soon as I evaluated it, it changed...

24. This post has been deleted by its author

25. Tinker Tailor Soldier

Remember time slows down...

Ignoring energy required (engineering problem solvable at some scale) and getting blasted to bits by high frequency photons (bit harder, but a bunch of ions helps). You can get anywhere you want because time slows down as you approach the speed of light. To an external observer you turn into a blue shifted or red shifted strangely shaped thing, that still can't get anywhere faster than light.

So long as you aren't trying to build an empire and run it, this is all OK.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like