back to article Virgin Media: SO SORRY we fined your dead dad £10 for unpaid bill

Virgin Media has apologised after charging a dead man £10 for being unable to pay his broadband bill. The bloke's son-in-law Jim Boyden posted a photo of the demand for the tenner on Facebook, along with an open letter accusing the UK internet provider's staff of a "special kind of meanness". Almost 100,000 people have now …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

well shite I coulda been famous?

is there ANYONE who handled a dead parent's estate who didn't encounter exactly this? Especially when it is easily fixed with a phone call and the faxing of death certificate and powers of attorney paperwork? You mean all I had to do was be a putz and post the bill on Facebook instead of just dealing with it like everyone else has to and I'd have been famous with thousands of followers?

especially when it was corrected by simply notifying them of the situation and providing legal proof?

Lemme balance that with my experience.

My dad lived where broadband DSL was shite.So he got some sort of 3G based broadband service attached to his desktop. he passes away and since there's no will, I get to hire an attorney to help me get the paperwork settled. It;s been a couple years so I forget the outfit's name but as I worked my ay through piles of bills I find the late-payment-nastygram from this outfit. Do I run to FB like a entitled whinger? Nope, I call them and tell them who I am, and what has happened. The lady offers her condolences and at my request cancels the service. I ask her to send me the final bill for the services and past due (including time dad WAS using the service) and she says no need, slate's wiped clean, don't even worry about sending back the receiver/modem, just get us the certificate and notarized power of atty. faxed over in the next couple of weeks whenever I got time.

Even evil Comcast waived late fees and removed billing for services the month after the death date. they still wanted the whole month in which he passed in the middle, wanted their settop box mailed back and all the paperwork BEFORE they'd do anything, but a simple, civil phone call did the deed.

credit cards, same thing. No worries. Medical bills however got kinda nasty, which made the attorney useful.

Proving once again being a responsible adult, taking care of business and being proactive instead of waiting for someone else to "fix" things is detrimental to fame and sympathy.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like