back to article Wales slams Amazon over lack of Kindle support

A publisher has attacked Amazon over its failure to offer books in Welsh on the Kindle e-reading device. More than 1,500 people have also signed a petition demanding the all-conquering badboy of bookselling change its policy after the imprint attacked it in the Welsh press. Y Lolfa, a small publisher based near Aberystwyth, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Turtle

Whinging about pedantry...

"Whinging about pedantry? You must be new here".

Truer words were never spoken.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Declining number of speakers you say? @Tom 38

If you support Welsh so much, shouldn't you get the name of the language right?

1. LarsG
      Meh

Re: Declining number of speakers you say?

The Welsh assembly will demand it, the English tax payer will pay for it.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge
    FAIL

Translation

“Wnes i ddarllen hyn mewn 5 diwrnod, doeddwn i ddim yn gally rhoi hi lawr! Werth pob ceiniog a awr! Joia pobl!”

According to Google Translate, this means: “I read this in 5 days and could possibly have wished I did not put her down! Worth every penny and now! Polite people" [That can't be right].

I'm rusty, but I'd say something like:

"I read this in 5 days, and couldn't put it down. Worth every penny and more.[word that is not welsh] people"

By the way, why so much Welsh negativity? I can take a joke as can most of my fellow sheep-shaggers, but there are some not very nice undertones in some of these posts... Klingon ffs

1. Pen-y-gors

Re: Translation

Joia pobl = Enjoy it people! (Joio is a fairly recent colloquial term for 'Enjoy')

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'd have said that the end of the second sentence is equivalent to 'worth the time and money'.

Thumb Up

@Pen-Y-Gos, and JustaKos: Cheers for the clarifications!

Incidentally, I grew up in the very "English [language]" South Gower. I do not natively speak Welsh, and like others, had to do it for a few years in Comprehensive School.

Not interested at all in languages, but having to take at least ONE at 'O' level (showing my age) I chose Welsh over French and German, simply because I found it easier. As it was, I failed the O level.

Growing up in this "insular" society, as a kid, Welsh was this annoying language that confused road signs, and often stole from our choice of TV channels.

It wasn't until I went to Cardiff University that I started to pay attention, as alot of the (mostly English) students would ask me if I spoke Welsh.. At the end of my time at Cardiff I was virtually fluent, through no specific learning classes.

It's at times like these, when I read the majority of posts on this topic, that I tend to brush up on it :)

2. Jack Project

How about this, if there is this supposed market how about you stop whining and provide the books yourself.

I must have forgot when Amazon became the BBC.

FAIL

"

How about this, if there is this supposed market how about you stop whining and provide the books yourself.

I must have forgot when Amazon became the BBC.

"

Did you actually RTFA, or just decide to whine about others whining?

3. MrXavia
    WTF?

So Amazon is too lazy to add a few Database entries to enable the Welsh language?

4. Anonymous Coward 101
    Thumb Down

It is highly problematical that a large organisation that controls the biggest selling eBook format should have the right to determine what books are sold or not sold. The cost of making the book suitable for the Kindle format is borne by the publisher. What would it cost Amazon to sell this book for the Kindle, even if it didn't sell a single copy? I would hope this is just bureaucratic sloppiness rather than anything more sinister.

1. Ross K Silver badge
      WTF?

@Anonymous Coward 101:

It is highly problematical that a large organisation that controls the biggest selling eBook format should have the right to determine what books are sold or not sold

They can use their distribution system as they see fit - they're not running a charity.

Nothing's stopping you writing a book, setting up your own website and looking after billing and distribution...

5. cheveron
    FAIL

Wasn't Amazon supposed to democratize publishing?

You can get self-published crud on Kindle but you can't get Welsh language books from an established publisher? The size of the market is irrelevant. I can understand a small independent bookseller being reluctant to keep a lot of Welsh stock, but these are eBooks and Amazon has plenty of server space. The default view that everyone should just speak English is anti-free trade. If people want to buy Welsh books on Kindle (and plainly they do as they bought them last year) then they should be permitted to do so.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The problem with WRITTEN Welsh is...

.. that no two people can agree on the correct written forms for anything. Then add the North/South [significant] differences and you can start to see the problems.

1. Pen-y-gors

Re: The problem with WRITTEN Welsh is...

Bit of a red herring - written Welsh is far more standardised than the spoken dialects, and there is no serious difficulty in comprehension for speakers, wherever they come from. There are differences between the spoken dialects in various corners of our little land, but probably rather less than between heavy-duty Glaswegian, Essex-speak and rural Devonian (and home counties plum-in-the-mouth).

Anyway, as far as publishing books goes, the author writes what the author wants to write.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The article mentions books being available in Cornish. Well that language is even more fragmented and marginal than Welsh.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The number of Cornish speakers is growing, and almost every one of them uses one of two very similar spelling systems, as close as the British and American systems of spelling English are to each other.

2. Naughtyhorse

never mind north south, village to village is more like it

7. Crisp

It's only fair.

There are copies of kindle books in other dead languages

8. Richard Wharram

Gwasanaeth cyfieithu ar hyn o bryd. Ar gyfer gwasanaethau cyfieithu yn eich ardal chi, gofynnwch yn eich swyddfeydd y cyngor lleol.

Idris oedd y ddraig yn Ivor yr injan. Cennin cennin gennin.

1. Naughtyhorse

Gazuntite

Da iawn Diolch.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "Gazuntite"

Is this just you being backward, or is it another example of making up new Welsh words by simply spelling an existing English (or in this case German) word in lolspeak?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sigh @Richard Wharram

What are you trying to achieve with that, exactly? I'm sure Pen Y Groes will be impressed (or miffed; I think he's normally the one who goes for "Make a Welsh pride point by writing a post most people on the forum won't understand" and you've beaten him to it. Reminiscent of the earlier comments about Welsh people doing it to spite the English. Clap. Clap. Clap.

9. Richard Gadsden

Complaint-handling

I wonder if Amazon's problem is to do with complaint-handling; if there's a complaint about the content of a book (eg copyright, obscenity, libel), then they will want to check over the book to make sure that complaint is valid before pulling the book. If they don't have anyone who can read Welsh, then that's going to be a problem, whereas Amazon probably does have someone who can read Klingon - at least, well enough to be able to chuck out completely groundless complaints.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Complaint-handling

It seems crazy, but you may be right. I can't think of any other practical difficulty that they might be having.

So the question then is : why can't they employ one or maybe two people at the most to do this? Are they afraid of having employees involved in something other than distribution in the UK?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Complaint-handling

"I wonder if Amazon's problem is to do with complaint-handling; if there's a complaint about the content of a book (eg copyright, obscenity, libel), then they will want to check over the book to make sure that complaint is valid before pulling the book. If they don't have anyone who can read Welsh, then that's going to be a problem, whereas Amazon probably does have someone who can read Klingon - at least, well enough to be able to chuck out completely groundless complaints."

A good point, however the Welsh assembly offer free translation services - I'm sure they'd also do free checks if there's a complaint, as you suggest.

There are already ties between Amazon and Wales with the HUGE distribution centre in Swansea... Ok, so it may be "just a big warehouse" but you can bet that channels were open between the Welsh assembly and amazon prior to this being built.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Complaint-handling @AC 12:52

"There are already ties between Amazon and Wales with the HUGE distribution centre in Swansea... Ok, so it may be "just a big warehouse" but you can bet that channels were open between the Welsh assembly and amazon prior to this being built."

Yeah - if they're the same as in the North those ties were "Here - have a big grant to build a warehouse so you can employ our constituents for a lower wage than you would pay anywhere else in Britain."

10. smallfry

Another translation

I think it's closer to: "I read this in 5 days, couldn't put her down! Worth every penny and hour! Enjoy people!"

As many of the commenters have said, all the publishers want is a means of categorising their already existing e-books as Welsh, with just another category entry. Which Amazon say they're working on, splendid.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just to clarify the problem for the hard of thinking...

Currently there are Welsh publishers (including Y Lolfa, Gomer etc) who have Welsh language books in print. Many, many books. What they wish to do is offer these EXISTING Welsh books as ebooks on kindle, which is probably the most widely known epublishing platform, which they can't do since Amazon has stopped them submitting them as English titles, but not allowing them to be submitted as Welsh.

There's no call for a subsidy, no call for translating existing books or any of the other nonsense that some commentards have been complaining about. Simply access, at standard terms, to a publishing platform.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just to clarify the problem for the hard of thinking...

"There's no call for a subsidy, no call for translating existing books or any of the other nonsense that some commentards have been complaining about. Simply access, at standard terms, to a publishing platform."

Then they should set one up themselves. Apparently it's all the rage on the Internet, you know ... Actually, I'm surprised Cymdeithas Yr Iaith hasn't set something up for them, since they're recommending that Welsh authors move towards other platforms. But then Cymdeithas is probably too tied up putting their little stickers up wherever they see English in public life.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

An idea

Other than the lawsuit/libel explanation given earlier I can see no reason why they can't add a new language option. So as an interim workaround why don't they publish the books as another non-English language?

E.g - Does amazon allow 'old english/anglo-saxon' language books (e.g. Beowulf)? If so what language are they classed as, and maybe Welsh could use that. If not then use Klingon.

Would Amazon know the difference? Would anybody know the difference (joke).

Just make sure that the title or cover has a clue to the fact that it is Welsh (discrete sheep/rugby ball/mt snowdon on the cover or a picture of the beautiful Pembrokeshire coastline)

They shouldn't have to do this though - sort it out Amazon

PS. I am not, never have been, and have no intention of ever being Welsh and.or speaking/reading Welsh - but support the protection of heritage (or more correctly I object to the blocking of the ability of Welsh to protect their own heritage)

13. David Paul Morgan
    Coat

Consistency would be appreciated

... so that Cymraeg is treated in the same way as Breton or Catalan (or Manx or Kernowek).

Welsh is most certainly spoken in the Americas - think Thomas Jefferson/Pennsylvania, USA and Patagonia, Argentina.

The biggest irony is, of course, that Amazon have a major distribution centre located just off the M4 in Swansea/Abertawe - and I'm pretty sure there was a 'development grant' for them to do this from the WAG.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Consistency would be appreciated

"Consistency would be appreciated

... so that Cymraeg is treated in the same way as Breton or Catalan (or Manx or Kernowek)."

Why do you use the Welsh name in an English sentence? That usage is more what I'd expect from the rabid types posting on Betsan's blog on the BBC News site, and goes against your own consistency request.

"The biggest irony is, of course, that Amazon have a major distribution centre located just off the M4 in Swansea/Abertawe - and I'm pretty sure there was a 'development grant' for them to do this from the WAG."

I made the "grant" point myself before reading your post, but there's no irony. Going by my dictionary, irony involves contradiction. All Amazon did was plonk down wherever they were given the highest bribe (factoring in what level of wages they could expect to pay), and there's nothing to contradict there.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Stop

> Why do you use the Welsh name in an English sentence? That usage is more what I'd expect from the rabid types posting on Betsan's blog on the BBC News site, and goes against your own consistency request.

Because he wanted to? Were you trying to make some kind of point?

It's bordering on the ad hom which, like sarcasm, is the tool of the ignorant.

1. Intractable Potsherd

Re: Consistency would be appreciated @ skelband

Yes, because Oscar Wilde was soooooo ignorant ...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Because Wales and Welsh are technically insults as their translations equate to "foreigners".

14. Tegne
    Joke

Why is it that all their road signs are in Welsh too? Afterall only 23% of the country...

..can actually read.

1. Naughtyhorse
      Devil

I can answer this!!!!!

Why is it that all their road signs are in Welsh too?

It's a diabolical plot to kill the evil saes!

there are loads of un gated level crossings in darkest wales - each of which is preceeded by the bilingual sign explaining what it is, and how it works and what to do in the case of an emergency. in welsh first!

now given welsh is an aincient tongue - so aincient indeed that words for new technologies have to be imported from other tongues - 'radio transistor' from the english (you have to say it with the accent) and fenester from the latin (i shit you not - welsh is older than windows, glass ones that is) so you can imagine the kind of essay you end up with trying to writh the level crossing warning.

consequently the saes never get as far as the bit they understand, and <hopefully> get hit by a train

1. BongoJoe
        Facepalm

Re: I can answer this!!!!!

Why is it that all their road signs are in Welsh too?

It's a diabolical plot to kill the evil saes!

Reminds me of the kerbside crossing instructions in Caerdydd. In Welsh it said "Look Right" and in English it said "Look Left"...

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nebes Kernewek (Some Cornish)

Wosa an nowodhow da a-dro dhe'n kynsa lyver Kindle yn Kernewek, my a wayt Amazon a wra dalleth dyllo lyvrow yn lies yeth usyes le. Nyns eus travyth a wra Sowson dhe dhos ha bos serrys avel skoodhyans rag an yethow Keltek a Vreten Veur...

(After the good news about the first Kindle book in Cornish, I hope Amazon will start to publish books in many lesser-used languages. There is nothing that makes the English become angry like support for the Celtic languages of Great Britain...)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nebes Kernewek (Some Cornish)

I know what you mean (I'm English) - but there are different things that make people angry. Some get angry at the expense of having to translate things into Welsh etc (government sites) for which they may have a point. But this is not about that, and no English should get angry about this other than anger with Amazon.

Even if Welsh died out as a living language there would still be a need for people to study it (as people today study old English or Latin). Printed books are being replaced with e-books so where will the documented material be in the future?.

Technology is not just a way to progress but also provides us with a better way to record history. If publishers start not allowing 'dead' languages in e-books (just by not having a section for them) then what will be used in the future for historical research? Where will students go to get the material? The library (if there are any left). And that is even if Welsh dies out - which it may or may not do.

So yes, I'm English and angry - but not with the Celtic language supporters in this case - but with Amazon.

16. Mystic Megabyte
    Happy

poem

Many years ago whilst living in Wales we had a party and a man recited a poem in Welsh.

Even though I could not understand it I felt that it was somehow moving. I asked what the poem was about and was told that it was a yearning for something so ancient that it had been forgotten what the yearning was for.

Quite magical, anyone know the name of the poem?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: poem

Not much to go on, and I'm no student of Welsh poetry, but the poem discussed here : ‘Cofio’ gan Waldo Williams; ‘Remembering’ seems to fit the bill.

17. Naughtyhorse

Only the irony impared...

could fail to appreciate all this whining and whinging about the electronic publication of the text of what is, above and beyond all else an aural language that has only been nailed to a page for 1500 years or so! (which is about 1/3 of it's history i think) - and then grievously fucked about to fit latin/english letter frequencies.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Only the irony impared...

I don't even know what your point is? Only been nailed to a page for 1500 years? What? Do you mean it's too 'young'? What are you trying to say? Irony - where?

The version of English you are using, very badly by the way, in your comment has only been 'nailed to a page' for 600 years - and even since then it has gone through quite a substantial change - so this affects whether Amazon should have a section for it how, exactly?

The only irony is that you seem not to be able to use a modern language to clearly make a point about how useless old languages are. Perhaps you should try writing in Welsh to see if it's better.

18. Norman Hartnell

Why does the Welsh language attract such hatred from people (mainly English) who don't speak it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Norman Hartnell

"Why does the Welsh language attract such hatred from people (mainly English) who don't speak it?"

It's probably not the language as such, but the way that the Welsh speak about the English when it comes up. Doesn't matter what your attitude to the Welsh or the language is, you'll always be a bastad Sais and personally responsible for the Welsh being conquered. The English are simply responding in kind.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@AC - Re: @Norman Hartnell

'Responding in kind', you say? Looking back over the comments there are plenty which are just gratuitously hostile (eg "Cast off your dribble-soaked language"), whereas the pro-Welsh comments tend to be civilised in the face of such nastiness.

This issue only matters to those who would like to be able to buy Welsh-language e-books from Amazon, and the cure to the problem would not affect anyone else. So why the hostility?

If you've had the misfortune to meet the sort of Welsh tosser who would see you only as a "bastad saes", then you have my sympathy. But we're not all like that, any more (I hope) than the examples present here represent all English.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like