back to article US Navy blasts drones with ship-mounted LASER CANNON

The US Navy says it has successfully test-fired a ship-mounted laser weapon, and that it plans to deploy the device to an actual maritime staging area beginning in 2014. On Monday, the Navy released video and still images showing the somewhat-unimaginatively named Laser Weapon System (LaWS) firing on an unmanned drone, causing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. MondoMan
      Unhappy

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition_________________stealthy attack submarine

Your fancy, noisy new-fangled battleship would be dead meat to modern subs, just like the General Belgramo.

2. Psyx
      FAIL

"A battleship with lasers and rail guns would again rule the waves as it could sink anything"

So?

The US can already do that, having the only real Navy on the planet.

The job of carrier battle groups is to project power. That means more than 50m away.

Granted, a rail-gun that is accurate enough *might* be able to displace strike aircraft in SOME circumstances, but Aircraft carriers are NOT going to die because of lasers.

And why would you use small railguns for AAA when missiles still work and are guided. Just because you can throw a slug at mach 10, it doesn't mean it automatically hits aircraft 30nm away.

1. Dorobuta

cost of projectiles

high rate of fire

when I can shoot hundreds of rail gun projectiles for less than the cost of a single missile.

guided munitions from rail guns are within the realm of possibility. but a frangible projectile that became hundreds of hypersonic pellets after being fired would do massive damage on an air craft - sort of a super phallanx. or CiWS

1. Psyx

"cost of projectiles

high rate of fire"

Neither of those things allows you to swat aircraft at Standard Missile type ranges, though. And the new weapon development cost alone will far exceed the cost of the number of Standard Missiles the USN is likely to blaze through in the next 20 years.

The rate of fire thing is still a huge issue too, I believe.

"when I can shoot hundreds of rail gun projectiles for less than the cost of a single missile."

Shame they take up so much more room and weigh more.

"guided munitions from rail guns are within the realm of possibility. but a frangible projectile that became hundreds of hypersonic pellets after being fired would do massive damage on an air craft - sort of a super phallanx. or CiWS"

We've yet to build guidance that can handle that kind of acceleration, AFAIK. And frangible projectiles aren't going to have a 10nm range due simply to basic ballistics.

I like railguns, but they aren't a magic wand or super-weapon. They aren't really anything yet, especially a rival to guided munitions - either air or surface launched.

1. hugo tyson

Is the movie intended to be silent?

is all

1. Kevin Johnston

Re: Is the movie intended to be silent?

Don't care, just as long as it doesn't have Tom 'Big Man' Cruise any where near it (except possibly as the first target).

2. johnnymotel
    Coat

Looking at the picture all I can see is a kick-ass RGB laser projector......for displaying 8K images on the underside of BIG clouds.

3. Tim Parker

Oooooooo - hello sailor !

Seriously - would you be a sailor on a ship called 'Ponce' ?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unanswered question

Does it make a really, really cool noise?

5. John70

One step closer...

... to phasers and disruptor cannons.

1. bearded bear can

Re: One step closer...

and ion cannons. They can disable a Star Destroyer from quite a distance, allowing the transports to get through.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Poncey ship

And here, Lord Vader, is the newest mark 5 Death Star, capable of FTL speed to any point in the galaxy, able to destroy an entire planet in half a second, and has an absolutely Rebel-proof grille over the vulnerable cooling port. It also has an impenetrable force field around it, and it is thought controlled by you, personally. It carries more firepower than the rest of the known universe combined, by a factor of five.

The ship is named the "Flaming, Prancing Queer" but since it is thought controlled by you, and you are NOT noted for your sense of humor, I seriously doubt anyone, anywhere is going to make much fun of it, even if it does smell like elderberries.

7. Trollslayer
    Devil

Red, green and blue

So upgrade the servos and you have a half mile HD TV!!!!

8. ecofeco Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Raise Shields!

...and arm the photon torpedoes!

Seriously, crude shields are now reality and have been for several years. (electrically charged outer hulls on tanks. BAE)

I think all that's left for Star Trek to be reality are transporters and FTL, and both of those are progressing as well.

9. ecofeco Silver badge
    Trollface

Now where's the...

...firggin sharks with friggin laser beams?!!!!!

10. Sam 15

Fog, Mist, Rain, Sea-spay?

It's impervious to all these right?

Where's that drawing board?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like