back to article Furious Stephen Fry blasts 'evil' Reg and 'TW*T' Orlowski

Official British National Treasure Stephen Fry has responded to El Reg teasing last week with an emotional defence of his TV voice-over work, in two impassioned audio burps this weekend. "It doesn't upset me," Fry insists. "I am a voice-over artist, I have read every one of the Harry Potter novels - and I'm proud to have done …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Crisp
    Trollface

Register dot co dot uk - exists merely to be nasty.

I think Mr Fry is confusing El Reg with 4Chan.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Register dot co dot uk - exists merely to be nasty.

True. On 4chan, you at least get acceptable images.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Happy

Re: Register dot co dot uk - exists merely to be nasty.

"True. On 4chan, you at least get acceptable images."

I think they can be considerably more dangerous if upset.

2. Tyrion

Stephen Fry lacks a sense of humour when he's the subject. He also jumps on any bandwagon he can find. Anything to be in the limelight I suppose.

Amusing article by the way ;)

3. Miss Lincolnshire
    Facepalm

Trades Descriptions violation

I saw the words "Orlowski" and "Twat" and immediatley clicked. Imagine my disappointment when I discovered it referred to Andrew not Teresa........

4. Baudwalk
    Thumb Up

Congrats, you've made the big time

And you're still my fave Unkind, Misogynistic Lesbian Online Publication.

5. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Jim Dale does it better…

at least when it comes to reading the Harry Potter books.

6. KirstarK

For some reason I cannot understand Mr IOrlowski has taken a personal dislike toi Mr Fry. I usually ignore his insulting articles. I am sure if the click rates went down he would stop being such a twat.

1. Don Jefe

Re:

No. In don't think he would. He enjoys it.

7. The Mighty Spang

to my mind the only thing julie burchill did right

was come up with her description of fry.

1. John H Woods Silver badge

Re: to my mind the only thing julie burchill did right

The thing about Julie Burchill is that she doesn't seem to be all that knowledgeable either. Whereas Fry is affable, avuncular and slightly misinformed, she is a total bitch who thinks she is much cleverer than any available evidence would seem to support.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

Heck, I can't imagine anyone paying her to do a voice-over.

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

"Heck, I can't imagine anyone paying her to do a voice-over"

she's quite squeaky voiced I believe. Not a drawback when writing books or pontificating in columns in the newspapers but not what an advertiser or TV producer is really after.

2. MJI Silver badge

Fry just has that voice, I would say one of the best voice over voices on UK TV.

Who else could be the voice of Sackboy?

8. John H Woods Silver badge
    Happy

Let's be fair...

... it's not just Fry. Yes he sounds authorative, but that may be an error of the listener rather than something he is deliberately trying to convey. Didn't I read, just last week on ENGADGET (which I think thinks it is a serious tech site, although I know of no serious techs who agree) that Tim Berners Lee invented the INTERNET?

My old dad (sorry to bang on) was a highly sociable bloke who met a lot of interesting people, many of whom were experts in some field or other. He came to the conclusion that whenever you met an expert in X, they would usually tell you that a lot of things reported in the popular media about X were wrong. After meeting sampling for enough values of X, he concluded that the popular media are mostly wrong about EVERYTHING.

9. Gordon861

Time For an Interview?

Perhaps now would be a good time for someone from El Reg to contact Stephen Frys people to see about an interview. It might clear the air and maybe get him to realise that if he puts him self over as a font of all knowledge and gets it wrong he probably does more harm than good.

1. Terry Barnes

Re: Time For an Interview?

How so? I can't think of a single instance where someone would be in a position to employ technical information, where they would have gained the required knowledge from a celebrity posting on Twitter.

What harm has been done to the world by him telling people that atomic clocks run the Internet? Barely anyone will remember, and even amongst those who do, no harm will come of it. It matters not one jot. If you have a job where knowing how the Internet works is important, you'll know that the clocks reference points to an earlier era and the operation of PDH and SDH line transmission and circuit switching. If you don't have a job where knowing how the internet works is important, who cares? The worst thing I can conceive happening is that the answer to a pub quiz will be wrong.

1. NomNomNom

But what if terrorists try to extract all the radiation from the atomic clocks in their modems to make a dirty bomb?

Remember, loose lips don't just sink ships. They can also blow up trains and fly aircraft into famous landmarks.

2. Tequila Joe

Because when information is broadcast to millions of people that information should be as accurate as possible, especially if it is being presented to them as authoritatively correct.

Still, your post is on-message with the BBC: 'We are the good guys so anything we do or say is, by definition, always right and good, and so anyone who opposes us must be evil. When we tell a fib it is good - what's the harm? Barely anyone will remember. But if someone tells a disagreeable truth we will smear them or ignore them. It's a good life we are writing over British society.'.

10. Thomas 4
    Unhappy

Umm, I'm not sure how cool I am with this

One person's "affectionate teasing" is another person's "bullying bastard". I was on the receiving end of an awful lot of "affectionate teasing" in school and it made my life a misery. Mr Fry has said he isn't cool with it, so maybe knock it off?

He is also, by and large, a fairly harmless individual and Christ knows there's more deserving targets out there for a verbal shoeing. You should also bear in mind that it's other people that have described him as a "national treasure" and all that crap - not Mr Fry himself.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Happy

Re: Umm, I'm not sure how cool I am with this

" I was on the receiving end of an awful lot of "affectionate teasing" in school and it made my life a misery."

A fair point and in a 1 to 1 workplace environment can be very nasty.

However he has somewhat set him self up as a a bit of an all round know it all in public and in that situation you should either be very well prepared when you talk about something or admit your ignorance if called out. After all he is likely to earn considerably more money for doing it than anyone informed or smart enough to trip him.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@John Smith 19 - It would have been nice if the article lambasting Mr Fry for getting something totally wrong, actually said where he got it wrong and why this was such a cardinal sin. I though he made a fairly okish statement about a pretty complicated area of Computer Science. While I realise it wasn't totally correct, it certainly wasn't the gaffe about GPS or atomic clocks and TCP.

2. Graham Marsden
      Thumb Up

@Thomas 4: Re: Umm, I'm not sure how cool I am with this

Why am I waiting for someone to day "But it's just a bit of fun!"

(PS it wasn't much fun from my POV at school either...)

3. BinkyTheHorse
      Megaphone

No no no no no no no no.

No.

Mr. Fry is not an innocent schoolboy being singled out for psychological torment for no reason other than being vulnerable. He's a public person who has spouted nonsense in public, multiple times, out of his own volition (unless the Reg has misreported something, which I doubt in this context, but correct me if I'm wrong).

It is completely natural to feel empathy towards a target of ridicule, however, don't you think you might be simply projecting right now?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stephen Fry is notoriously pissy over being criticised on Twitter. If he knew anything about the tech world, he'd know El Reg is one of our finest publications.

12. ukgnome
    Devil

I thought Fry liked pedantry

Lets not suck the vultures dick on this one, El Reg, is sometimes nasty mainly funny and occasionally informative (well the bits I read) It doesn't pretend to know anything about the arts and I have a feeling it wouldn't try to. Essentially if Fry wants to wade knee deep in the tears of fallen users then he has to be prepared for a dose of heavy weight pedantry.

1. Tequila Joe

Re: I thought Fry liked pedantry

How's he going to improve if no-one corrects him?

Now he's a bit better informed, would he care to clear up the errors with all the millions he has misled, or will he instead prefer to maintain his 'expert' image?

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: I thought Fry liked pedantry

>dose of heavy weight pedantry.

Pedantry is usually in the form of "Man said ABCDF, man should have said ABCDE [as any fule kno]"

What we had on Friday wasn't that, but something closer to "Man said ABCDF, screw him, screw his friends, screw the miserable hag he rode into town on"

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah, bless

Of course Saint Stephen may be being a bit thin-skinned and precious about it all, but let's be fair to him:

Andrew Orlowski *is* a bit of a tw@.

1. edge_e
      WTF?

Re: Ah, bless

can't believe I got to page three before somebody said that

2. Rampant Spaniel

Re: Ah, bless

but that is what Andrew (and Mr Dabb's) are paid to do. Write in a style which results in 4 pages of comments. If el reg simply dropped Mr Fry a polite email pointing out his error I doubt it would generate as many page views or ad clicks.

Don't forget Fry puts himself in public view as an expert on everything. I don't dislike the guy, I just think if you set yourself up as a font of knowledge on all subjects (and to be fair, modest he is not on that front) expect people who do know to pull you up on it, don't expect them all to be all that polite. Let's be honest, many of us spent years in higher education and collected many beer glasses and the occasional letter before and after our name. We then worked for years , gaining experience and certifications. Mr Fry has a decent degree from a very good university in English Lit. A decent achivement after a rocky childhood but do expect us to not be entirely courteous to someone erroneously purporting to know our field because he read up on it on wikipedia and he has too many mobile phones. If you stand on a box and yell very loudly, you need to be correct.

Nobody is taking potshots at his personal life or publishing pictures of his playing the sausage game with tinky winky, that would be uncalled for, but we are having a bit of fun at someone who is a self confessed hexpurt on everything getting things wrong.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Re: Ah, bless

Rampant Spaniel wins the thread.

C.

14. Malcolm Weir Silver badge

Not quite right anymore

The "lightning-fast painting" method is old hat these days, due to the large amount space required for the lightning. Nowadays the imps just flip little doors in front of colored flames open and closed. This explains the lower quality of TV nowadays, since the imps are bored.

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Not quite right anymore

And when they are too rushed they open big groups of doors, that is macroblocking!

15. cheveron

Quite Interesting

I like Stephen Fry. But I'd rather take IT advice from Alan Davies.

16. Jim 59

Howler

Fry's explanation of the Turing Machine last week was for more accurate than his previous contributions to satellite navigation etc. It was a mistake for Reg to lampoon it and further articles should not happen unless he makes a genuine howler. Given that, I don't blame the chap for being overwrought at the injustice.

Fry is touted as a brilliant mind. His "brand" in TV involves amusing pedantry and the display of knowledge for its own sake. It is therefore amusing, and tickles our vanity, when he publicly gets it wrong in matters we would find trivial. Fry may be a brilliant mind, but even Turing would look stupid if he made pronouncements well outside his area.

Time for a Reg/Fry love-in I say. At least part of him wants to be an engineer. And after all, he is one if us, being a home computer freak dating back to the 80s. I look forward to a Fry authored article, long overdue in these mildewed pages, sprinkled with a few latin quips and hopefully the odd mistake to make him look human.

17. Primus Secundus Tertius

Furious Fry Fulminates Frantically Forever

How about that for a headline?

18. Oninoshiko

you know,

If I made what he makes being wrong, I would read what you said about me, give a chuckle, and flip over to the next page. If I sent anything, it might be a quick note saying "good one, there. Always amused by the national treasure bit"

Yes, all penii barers are, by definition, sexest pigs. </irony>

I'm not really sure genocide is related to bad table manners (barring, possibly, a surname of "Dahmer").

1. Lone Gunman

Re: you know,

Yes, all penii barers are, by definition, sexest pigs. </irony>

Anyone baring that particular appendage are likely to be arrested for indecent exposure (which isn't of itself sexist).

2. Irony Deficient

Penii?

Penes.

Oninoshiko, the barers of such would be something like calvatores penium.

3. Phil W

Re: you know,

Quite so.

It would be more accurate to say that, saying you were cruel and also unkind is akin to being accused of genocide and also murdering a lot of people of a particular race.

Unkindness essentially just being a lesser level of cruelty.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

too many tweets make a ...

twat. Not one for taking "criticism" is this luvvy

20. Greg J Preece

Followers of computer science lecturer and Twitter celebrity Dr Sue!! Black ;-) also dubbed us "misogynistic"

Is that just a go-to word when arguing with a man? I don't recall any reference to her gender beyond her name, just that she said something stupid.

21. Mr Young
    Happy

Haha

Reminded me of University Challange - Stephen Fry ftw just for being part of that gem! Is that the same one Vyvyan get his head chopped of wif a train as well? rofl

22. fredco
    Coat

Bring 'um back...

Perhaps it's time to bring 'um back.... The half penny, the Dragon 32, the FriDay... ?

23. Irongut

Aww is Stephens medication not workiing today?

He should stick to topics that he actually understands. So that would be greek, latin and perhaps comedy.

24. Chris 3

Poor old Stephen...

.... You'd think he'd been on the Internet long enough to know that the first rule is "Don't feed the trolls", or "Don't feed the person after page impressions"... as the case may be.

25. wolfetone Silver badge

Whoever gave Mr.Fry the broken nose should be recalled to finish the job.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.