back to article Drilling into 3D printing: Gimmick, revolution or spooks' nightmare?

3D printing, otherwise known as additive manufacturing, is a subject that pumps out enthusiasts faster than any real-life 3D printer can churn out products. In conventional machining, computer-aided design and computer-aided manufacturing (CADCAM) combine to make products or parts of products by cutting away at, drilling and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. BrenBren
    Pirate

TOY

I would place this printed in the gadget/toy category. Its cool, but no revolution for sure. When it can pump out a wind up watch give me a call. Until then, sure when I have a few extra thousand and nothing else to spend it on maybe. Wake up folks. There is no wizard behind the curtain. Even the smallest product takes more than a 3D printer to get it to market.

2. Your Command
    Big Brother

Oh, my hyperbole hurts!

>Where did El Reg dig up these anti-technology 'left'-over Stalinist hacks?

"Foreign Affairs is the organ of the US foreign-policy establishment"

Oh, and parenthetical kudos: "Toffler, an ex-member of the Communist Party of the USA..."

"it need only barely arrive on the world economic stage for zealots to overrate it, and for others to turn it into an object of fear"

>Back to the Future: 1984?

"the world’s small and medium enterprises (SMEs) – always, for capitalism, the dominant source of employment, and always hailed as a major source of innovation"

And who could miss using "an autarchic vision of the American economy coincides with an autarchic vision of the American home" to refute the idea that "... those who exaggerate the power of 3D printing to turn everyone into a budding inventor /entrepreneur/manufacturer follow very much in this utopian tradition"?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.