back to article Ten serious sci-fi films for the sentient fan

Zap guns, robots, lightspeed-smashing spaceships and bikini-busting princesses do not real science fiction make. Just ask George Lucas. Star Wars defined movie SF in the mind of many a mainstream viewer. But while the film and its sequels and, er, prequels certainly provide the sci-fi enthusiast with thrills a-plenty - guilty …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Amorous Cowherder
    Thumb Up

Swiss film "The Cargo"!

Absolutely brilliant! A nice little horror edge, a little though provolking and a little bit of gentle romance. German language with English subs, nobody I'd heard of and for once not wrecked by big named, short-arsed, short-tempered Hollywood B-listers with wooden acting skills that could be bettered by a broom handle!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh, and one other thing: Dark Star

Dark Star was the first movie to show the non-utopian(*) version of the Sci-Fi space travel future: bored, lonely people in a cramped uncomfortable dirty spaceship with everything breaking down and going wrong and a disinterested planet Earth back home cutting off their funding.

(*) - Yes, I mean non-utopian as opposed to dystopian. I'm treating topianity as (at least) three-valued, and I don't think it's really about a dystopia

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Oh, and one other thing: Dark Star

Dark Star is superb. But a comedy, not a serious sci-fi fillum.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh, and one other thing: Dark Star

Wrong. it IS serious sci-fi, but a comedy film, unlike Star Trek which is mostly a serious film but comedy sci-fi.

3. Mr Hubris

Tarkovsky

<i>Solaris</i>, absolutely. But my God, not the remake. Tarkovsky is <b>way</b> better. And while we're thinking of the genius of the man, <i>Stalker</i> should also be in this list. In fact, remove everything from the list as it is, and just slot all of his films in there, 'Sci-Fi' or not. That's all that sentient fans need.

1. Captain Hogwash

Re: Tarkovsky

I couldn't agree more.

2. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Re: Tarkovsky

I thought the remake (I didn't see the original) was '2001' set in a different plane (...the jogging track). And unless my dvd didn't include the audio track, I don't think there was any dialogue in the movie....

4. marrok

Primer

Can't believe Primer is not on this list, surely one of the the most intelligent, intriguing and frightening films of the last 10 years?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Primer

Damned right - more serious than half the films in the article, fully realises its premise (and then some) and delivered in a realist style that reminds me of the real-life young scientists and engineers I've seen in their places of work. Confusing as hell though, but by necessity.

A scandalous omission for the Reg, especially as the first act resembles a documentary about a silicon valley start-up.

The creators of Primer have a new film out this year- 'Upstream Color"... IMDB can help you out.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As well as some mentioned above...

Can I suggest:

5th Element

Moon

Primer (yeah - a SciFi film not about space)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: As well as some mentioned above...

Oh, and I forgot about The Time Machine (original) and best of all DARK STAR:-)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Things to come?

Some pretty big ideas in there too.

Also agree that Metropolis should be in there. . But only the 2010 rekease.

Zardoz is completely pants.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Things to come?

"Things to Come" is in the public domain now. Check it out on archive.org. It's a site worth checking out for a lot of older stuff like "The Brain that Wouldn't Die", "Metropolis", "Plan 9", "Night of the Living Dead" (sci-fi due to the McGuffin "radiation from Venus" explanation for the "ghouls"), "The Lost World", "Virus" and "Le Voyage dans la lune". Lots of B-Movie junk, but some good or historically interesting stuff there.

7. Admiral Grace Hopper

Stack overflow

A difficult list to fault. I peronally would have dropped Zardoz and Star Trek, but I would have been left trying to fit Silent Running, Dark Star and Moon into those two slots.

8. Locky
    Terminator

Missing a few...

Terminator

Back to the Future

The Matrix

The Fly

Inception

Tron

9. Soruk
    Pint

Iron Sky!

1. Tim Parker

"Iron Sky!"

They have the sky running on .NET ? *shudder*

1. Ben Holmes
        Coat

I'd err, think about finding the exit Tim. Here, take your coat. You'll need it.

10. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
    Stop

Wot no Matrix?

Shame they never made any sequels, though...

1. Andrew Moore

Re: Wot no Matrix?

Well, apart from the excellent Animatrix...

11. Mondo the Magnificent
    Pint

Good choice..

..but the ElReg readers and Forumites have also added some classics that need mentioning:

Silent Running, without a doubt a grear classic, although it was a 70's eco awareness type message. I loved the three little tape driven drones, Hewie, Louie and Dewie... I was young when I saw it and it sowed the seeds that made me an eternal SciFi fan..

Sunshine: Visually stunning and also real scifi in the fact that mankind would dontate his nuclear arsenal to rekindle the sun... but it was the little things like how a slight alteration in course almost led to disaster and even with all the technology in place, man is the weakness that made the maiden mission fail..

Black Hole, sure I am going to hell for digging this Disney "classic" out, but it was entertaining and also visually brilliant for its era too.

Event Horizon: Love it or hate it, it was believable SciFi with some scares in the plot. Quite enjoyable and one of LFJr's better roles as a stern faced, no nonsense salvage crew commander

1. Tom 38
      Thumb Up

Re: Good choice..

Event Horizon scared me shitless.

1. Neil 30
        Mushroom

- me too "Hell is only a word. The reality is much, much worse."

1. Super Fast Jellyfish

So more of a horror film than SF? But agree well scary!

1. jai

i'm a big sci-fi fan, but not a fan of horror

somehow, i only saw sci-fi in the trailers for Event Horizon and figured any film with Sam Neil has to be good right?

so completely came as a surprise when the horror begins in the movie.

still, damn good film, despite the lack of sleep i endured afterwards. wish i could bring myself to watch it again

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No love for Dune?

Yes, faults galore (please don't mention the sandworms!), but for all that a film I can watch again and again, not least for the brilliant styling and costume design.

Missing Silent Running is surprising, but missing Dark Star is actually unforgivable.

Re: No love for Dune?

I quite like Dune, but it's space opera, not sci-fi

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

And based upon a book written as an ecological parable- the same criticism levelled at Silent Running.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Unhappy

Dune is too choppy, especially if you read the book. It needs to be a mini-series, unless you have 5 hous to watch a $500 million movie.

Other than that, a great and thought provoking possibility.

1. jai
            Headmaster

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0287839/combined

you know it was also a mini-series recently:

Dune (2000):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0142032/combined

Children of Dune (2003):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0287839/combined

1. WillGalen

Mini-series was much better than the movie.

2. Tom 13

Definitely not space opera. I love space opera. I hate Dune. Still, I would be amiss if I didn't recognize it's impact on the SF world.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
      Unhappy

I suppose someone had to mention it.....and there goes my "pet hate" button.

If only they hadn't reworked the thing to "bring it up to date". What's wrong with leaving it as personal shields 'n swords (the "slow knife" sequence would have actually made some bloody sense then), pointy-nosed rockets, artillery and the family atomics? No, they had to give it a "ray gun" makeover and remove all references to anything "nooculuh" to keep the plebs in the audience on-message.

It all made little sense after they'd butchered the plotline. The implementation and visualisation is fantastic, but the script is unfortunately utter crap.

I hate it for promising so much and yet delivering so little.

1. Teiwaz

Ah, Dune, my favourite book of all time...

I doubt they'll ever make a movie to do it justice. I do like David Lynchs' version and I also like the Sci-Fi mini-series interpretation, but both are flawed. The David Lynch version had wonderful sets and good costumes but the plot could not be covered sufficiently to make sense in one movie. The book is all about dialog and the monologue of various characters and does not carry over well into an 'action movie' . The subject matter is related to mysticism, ecology, politics and statecraft., again not easily meshed with the obvious succcessful template of the 'action movie'. Despite the plot changes to give the Atriedies advantage a physical aspect 'the sound gun' and the heretical conclusion that Muad dib is a God and not just a man playing God, I've always felt that the 1984 film would be good if only the missing scenes could be returned (I know they don't exist, but an extra hour to the movie would make the story soo much clearer).

Although the Sci-fi channel version had more time to cover more of the book, it makes several mistakes in characterisation. The costumes (what were they thinking?). Paul starts out an arrogant jerk (Re: the opening scene in his bedroom on the ship to Arrakis) and ends the series and arrogant jerk (in a really non-fremen white loincloth, over Feyd's body) but at least the film didn't declare him an actual god, although the water scene in the Sietch does. He was a man playing god only. As for what the mini-series does to Gurney Halleck, I tend to try my best to ignore scenes with him in, as his character was obviously lobotomised and brainwashed by the evil Atriedies... He should be a poet-warrior not a nightwatchman.

1. John 62
          Boffin

I've read the book at least 3 times now and I really do love it, but last time I noticed the death of Paul's first son largely because Herbert skipped over the whole thing so quickly. Herbert himself must have realised he'd bitten off more than he could chew and must have had to cut stuff out or rush it. The Harkonnen takeover and subsequent Fremen rebellion seem glossed over. If the book needs to be interpreted for the screen as a mini-series, then I submit that the book itself should also have been split up so the second half could have been expanded. The only other book I've read from the series is the sequel, Dune Messiah, and Herbert must have thought the first book was too long, since Messiah was so short in comparison and I don't know whether it was a bit poor because it was too short, or just because it wasn't that good.

/if you reverse the colours of the icon you get blue eyes.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Strange Days

Bit of an underappreciated classic methinks. Directed by Katherine Bigelow who got the rights as part of her divorce settlement with James Cameron who wrote the script. It has dated a bit because they chose to set it in 2000 and the technology seems to involve MiniDiscs; but the idea of people recording their experiences seems somewhat prescient in the era of Google Glass.

The opening POV robbery is a work of genius and it has the amazing Angela Bassett as one of Cameron's strong female roles. There are a couple of incredibly violent scenes, including a rape, which some people might find too much.

Re: Strange Days

That's a good call.

2. Greg J Preece

While I thought the allegories for the '90s L.A. riots in that film got a bit paper-thin at times, it's still an excellent sci-fi, and I agree that it's massively underrated/underexposed.

3. PhilBuk
      Thumb Up

Gets my vote. Nice bit of Juliette Lewis on show too!

Phil.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Remove Star Trek and Close encounters

Replace with Dark Star and Silent Running and you have the perfect top ten.

5. Oliver 7

Strange Days started brilliantly with a great concept but it's trawling the depths by the end with the most ridiculous conspiracy theory dénouement.

Gattaca is a great shout. You could have mentioned Forbidden Planet had the first entirely electronic soundtrack (which wasn't released as 'music') and, what's more, was composed by a woman, Bebe Barron.

Dark Star, Silent Running (flawed), Dune (seriously, but again flawed) and Alien might have been candidates for me. I think Alien in particular, although being as much horror as SF, raises some serious themes (genetic adaptation/dystopian future/corporate exploitation/human flaws/woman as heroine) and spectacular plot twists/shocks (chest burst scene/Ash as a robot) that were so new and influential at the time that they have coloured everything since and detracted from its radicalism today.

Guilty pleasures - Them, Rollerball, Robocop.

14. a pressbutton

s/10/20/

Everyone who can be bothered to post will want to add the one you left out

Mine :

Dark Star

West World

Re: s/10/20/

Westworld almost made the cut. Top 20 material for sure.

2. Daniel B.

Re: s/10/20/

Westworld. The movie where you get Yul Brynner to make a Terminator impression ... at least a decade before Terminator came out!

15. hamsterjam

Primer, of course...

...in fact, I would argue that it''s better than any of the ten apart from 2001: A Space Odyssey. One of the downright cleverest films ever made.

What's missing?

Cube

The Fountain

Seconds

A Boy And His Dog

Alphaville

and a bunch of others that I'll remember as soon as I hit "Submit".

1. Silverburn
      Thumb Up

Re: Primer, of course...

Alphaville....A single WTF moment that lasts 99 minutes.

Other than that...+1.

2. Oninoshiko

By "Cube" do you mean the episode of "NBC Experement in Television" from 1969 Feb. 23 Titled "The Cube" (starring Jim Henson), or Cube (1997)?

Of the two, I think the 1969 one gave me more food for thought, although I don't think I would consider either hardcore science fiction. 1969 Surrealist fiction, 1997 Slasher-horror.

1. John 62

No, by Cube, he means the ITV programme starring Philip Schofield and the body (in there for the dads)

3. PhilBuk
      Alien

For the really obscure - "Welcome To Blood City". It's even got Keir Dullea in it.

Phil.

4. Neil 30
      Thumb Up

- I'll throw in a vote for Cube. Brilliant idea and can I just say - IMHO Australia consistently makes brilliant Sci-Fi - think Pitch Black, Mad Max, Dark City hmm? Hmm?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.