back to article Intel's new TV box to point creepy spy camera at YOUR FACE

Intel has confirmed it will be selling a set-top box direct to the public later this year, along with a streaming TV service designed to watch you while you're watching it. The device will come from Intel Media, a new group populated with staff nicked from Netflix/Apple/Google and so forth. Subscribers will get live and catch- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. P. Lee

Re: Charging by person = FAIL

More likely, the advertiser is charged per person watching.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Charging by person = FAIL

"More likely, the advertiser is charged per person watching."

...men who have pony tails, beards, and black t-shirts with white lettering are eliminated from the statistics.

1. vic 4

Such a big issue?

Personally as long as it is just identifying me and what is the difference between a traditional log-in? My laptop knows who I am via a camera, as does my phone, why not my tv? The only real issue is trust and security, just like any system.

Could have a lot of benefits, like remembering how through the film you were watching when you fell asleep.

2. nimster
    Headmaster

set-up top box it ain't

I'd challenge anyone to owns a "set top box" to place it upon their set.

More of a set below box nowadays....

3. Gavin McMenemy

I agree with everyone here (including those pointing out that it's coming with a shutter).

Putt aside 1984 for a moment it does also remind me of the TV service Stand on Zanzibar...

... no, not a good thing. Count me out.

4. chivo243 Silver badge
    Meh

As long as it's looking at my eyes!

Then, we're cool.....

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

in Soviet union...

...TV watches YOU

6. Haku

Black Mirror - 15 Million Merits

Did the tv makers see that and think it was a solid idea to have a forced tv advertising system that can detect when you're not looking at the screen and penalize you for doing so?

1. P. Lee
      Unhappy

Re: Black Mirror - 15 Million Merits

Ah that's the film.

They don't need to penalise you, they just mark lots of potential advert points and if you aren't there to watch, the system gets back to the content and waits for you to return, whereupon it inserts adverts again.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Next up: blipverts

Remember people, 1984 had the government putting the cameras in the homes. It was Max Headroom that had the big corporations putting the cameras in people's homes.

So, put a small, cheap media player in front of the camera. Put something interesting on a loop - like Debbie Does Dallas. Make that Rebus tape interesting!

8. Trollslayer
    Thumb Down

Again?

This is Intel's third (or fourth?) attempt to launch set top box chips - and now they are resorting to making the box itself.

Oh dear.

9. Graeme5
    Go

All for it

I am quite happy to be identified by my face... it happens all the time every day. Why shouldn't my TV be able to do it.

Obviously as well as learning what I watch it could read my mood. I have seen software projects that can do this... so when I am 10 mins in to another TopGear on Dave it could speak up and say... "you look board, how about watching The Matrix on Film4?

That would be cool.

So long as it didn't read my post over my shoulder I would be completely fine with this.

10. N2

Made me smile

The mind boggles as to what could hit Youtube whilst viewing a smidgen of pron.

Simples to block.

11. This post has been deleted by its author

12. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Another brilliant idea for defeating the Intel-cam

Tape a picture of the Simpsons sitting on their couch in front of the camera...... :)

(And yes, spy-cam TV is incredibly creepy and intrusive!!)

13. tempemeaty
    Big Brother

The name, well citizens, why not....

Oceania Blue

14. Winkypop Silver badge
    Childcatcher

Not a chance

I'd take up origami or stamp-collecting as entertainment before having a Creep-O-Box [TM] in my house.

15. P. Lee

PR isn't their largest problem

When you're talking millions of devices and very limited function, price becomes more important than x86 compatibility.

Atom is way too expensive.

16. Loki 1

TV

"Grandpa... what's a tele-vision?"

"Ah lad, back in the 20th Century the whole family used to gather round that there device and watch programs. This was before the days of the internet of course. Back then, we had to work down t'pit 23 hours a day...."

Come on, who the hell watches TV these days anyway? Isn't it dead yet?

17. t.est

This was a Apple rumor some time ago

And the h.264 part just reinforces that part.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Watching TV through 1-way glass

so Big Brother can watch himself trying to watch me...

19. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

I, for one, welcome our new pervert cameras.

I hear about people getting up to all kinds of things on the couch in front of the TV, especially during the commercial breaks. Now there will be multiple web sites based on this technology, where I can watch them at it. Maybe even my neighbours and in real time. I can hardly wait.

Anonymouse Coward

Well, it's got to be better than watching the TV programmes. Even if they're just doing a crossword together then that's an intellectual exercise. Up to a point.

20. TimB

Nothing wrong with the idea

It's the implementation and marketing that's poor. You can't just introduce built-in facial recognition as a standard feature and not expect a backlash.

The right way to do it would have been to ship the standard box without the camera, and have an add-on camera available for an extra £10 or so. Target it at families with selling points such as "Get suggestions that *you* want to watch, not your whole family", "Automatically block your kids from seeing adult content." and "Save energy by automatically powering off when you fall asleep in front of the TV"

Before long, you'll have parents wanting you to implement features that stop the TV from working when Little Johnny covers the camera, and casual users loving the extra convenience. When it's mainstream, you can quietly get bought out by Google without anyone batting an eyelid.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nothing wrong with the idea

"Save energy by automatically powering off when you fall asleep in front of the TV"

Well, Sony's stuff at least does that rather more simply; it checks whether anything out there is moving. Luckily it doesn't need to know your social security number to do it.

Of course, that also means that a restless dog will keep your TV on, should you happen to leave it shortly before the dog's entree to the room - but I suppose you can always tack the electricity charges onto the dog's rent. Or dock him a biscuit, or something.

21. bag o' spanners
    Happy

Massively multiplayer

...Chatroulette.

22. Badvok

Amazing the amount of vitriol on here against this concept when a mobile phone that already does similar sells in the millions.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like